Bidding War

Iandocgrk

I dunno if it’s because it’s a Sunday and I don’t have a hangover that’s making me annoyed or the fact I keep reading “bidding war” on every player thread in terms of selling a player

a team contacts us and we set a price, they offer “x” amount if we knock it back another team will do the same make a bid and it’s accepted or knocked back

the days of multiple teams out bidding each other are long gone.

Just read it on the morelos thread last night then on the Jones one today... bidding war for jones gees a break man or I’m gonna have a hangover the morra

I dunno if it’s because it’s a Sunday and I don’t have a hangover that’s making me annoyed or the fact I keep reading “bidding war” on every player thread in terms of selling a player

a team contacts us and we set a price, they offer “x” amount if we knock it back another team will do the same make a bid and it’s accepted or knocked back

Just read it on the morelos thread last night then on the Jones one today... bidding war for jones gees a break man or I’m gonna have a hangover the morra
A hangover tomorrow it is then!!

Why would more than one club not be interested in any of our players?

Why would both clubs need to value that player the same?

Players are no different from any other commodity on the planet.

You'd be excellent at selling houses mate. You should try it.

If two clubs are going for the same player and both offer £10 million you don’t accept £10million you push for £12million. If the clubs aren’t willing to match £12million then they will offer the highest they can go to.
(Random figures btw)

It’s a basic way of getting good money for our players
That's just meeting the selling club's valuation, you don't need 2 clubs bidding to do that. I agree with the OP, if say Rangers accept a £20m bid for Morelos from Club A, Club B isn't going to bid £21m, they'll match the £20m bid and fight it out with Club A on a wages package

Think about it in similar terms of selling your house!

If two clubs are going for the same player and both offer £10 million you don’t accept £10million you push for £12million. If the clubs aren’t willing to match £12million then they will offer the highest they can go to.
(Random figures btw)

It’s a basic way of getting good money for our players

It only works if the desired fee isn’t public knowledge. Any buyer knows £20m with add ons is what will be accepted. Therefore they will offer less until they realise we won’t budge and either pay that amount or look elsewhere. Whether other teams are interested or not, the fee won’t change.

That's just meeting the selling club's valuation, you don't need 2 clubs bidding to do that. I agree with the OP, if say Rangers accept a £20m bid for Morelos from Club A, Club B isn't going to bid £21m, they'll match the £20m bid and fight it out with Club A on a wages package

Aye but they outbid each other in the negotiations mate. It's pretty basic stuff.

Even players will play clubs off against each other to get the highest wage.

Aye but they outbid each other in the negotiations mate. It's pretty basic stuff.

Even players will play clubs off against each other to get the highest wage.
How do they outbid each other? The selling club accept a bid then why would another club then bid more? As for the players wages that's got nothing to do with a selling club

Haha!

if the buyer knows they’re the only buyer they will look to pay less. Call it “bidding war” or competitive tension but it’s undoubtedly the case that more than one interested buyer and the seller can drove the price higher, fairly fundamental commercial principles.

How do they outbid each other? The selling club accept a bid then why would another club then bid more? As for the players wages that's got nothing to do with a selling club

I make a bid of 10m. Rangers go to you and say we've had a bid of 10m so you say 11m. Another club enquire and are told weve already had a bid of 11m. They then say 12m.

I really want the player though so I decide to up my original bid to 13m. And round and round we go.

And at the end of it all the selling club could say to us all na it's 20 or nothing. Or the bids might get to 18 max and the selling club decides that's as much as they are gonna get with the current market and sells. For a helluva lot more than the initial bids.

If there's not this "war" and only one club is interested then they say 10 million. We say no. Eventually we talk them up to 14million and they say that's as high as we are going so either sell or keep the player. The selling club then has a decision to make.

End of the day, a player is only worth what someone will pay. No point us valuing someone at £25 million if there's one club and they only want to pay £10million. You're never getting your £25 million in that circumstance. So you need to meet them somewhere in the middle or keep a possibly unhappy player. More clubs mean you can meet them in a higher place.

More clubs = more money simple as that.

Have you never bought a house? Same thing.

Last edited:
People are deluded, that’s not how the world works haha

club a - ok rangers we want morelos how much do you value him at

us - 22 million

club a - ok we offer 17

us - no then wait on another counter till we are happy

ok we agree on 21 million

Bidding wars as people think don’t happen
Happy that 2/3 agreed with me though

might just take a break till the transfer windows over

I didn’t say anywhere that multiple clubs wouldn’t be interested

but each club would ask how much we need then offer a counter we reject till a counter is agreed, that situation doesn’t change no matter how many clubs involved same situation

clubs negotiate with us they dont compete with other clubs

if 1 club reaches what we need it’s accepted then it’s upto other clubs to get to that number if they want it accepted

but each club would ask how much we need then offer a counter we reject till a counter is agreed, that situation doesn’t change no matter how many clubs involved same situation

if 1 club reaches what we need it’s accepted then it’s upto other clubs to get to that number if they want it accepted
Maybe a “bidding war” isn’t the correct term but you’re still up against other teams to buy the player. Just the same as buying a house, you don’t know how much people are offering.

club a - ok Rangers we want morelos how much do you value him at

us - 22 million

club a - ok we offer 17

You are deluded if you think we answer the question 'How much?' with an actual figure.

We answer it with 'How much are you offering?' and we make sure that teams know we are only accepting one offer, that will be the only club with a chance to sign the player and that we will be accepting the best offer with add-ons that we receive. We then keep all interest clubs informed of where the price currently sits and invite them to better it.

Maybe a “bidding war” isn’t the correct term but you’re still up against other teams to buy the player. Just the same as buying a house, you don’t know how much people are offering.
Don't really agree with the buying a house analogy, you don't get all interested clubs putting in sealed bids and we take the highest offer. The nearest you'll get is someone makes an offer and the selling club makes a counter offer or says the player's not for sale. Once a price is agreed with one club then that'll be the price set for the other interested parties.

Suppose the player could, all other things being equal, favour the bid giving the club that's put him in this position the most?
Unlikely, I agree.

You are deluded if you think we answer the question 'How much?' with an actual figure.

We answer it with 'How much are you offering?' and we make sure that teams know we are only accepting one offer, that will be the only club with a chance to sign the player and that we will be accepting the best offer with add-ons that we receive. We then keep all interest clubs informed of where the price currently sits and invite them to better it.
pearly we have a price for let’s say morelos.... so when they ask we high ball it and add on let’s say 10 million, they offer something and we negotiate back n forward we don’t go in right away with what we want we go higher to start, I thought that was obvious

if a team meets what we want we sell, bidding wars are for football manager

Don't really agree with the buying a house analogy, you don't get all interested clubs putting in sealed bids and we take the highest offer. The nearest you'll get is someone makes an offer and the selling club makes a counter offer or says the player's not for sale. Once a price is agreed with one club then that'll be the price set for the other interested parties.
Stop speaking sense mate people still think clubs will bid for a player and a club will put bid them till one club is the highest bid and they get the player and they think that’s how valuations are set

I’d expect this kinda thing from them, not us

I read the other day when 2 clubs are interested we go back n forth between them saying what one clubs offered and expect them to increase their bid till someone’s offered us 500 million lol

it was the jones thread that pushed me over the edge about a bidding war as 3 teams were linked

gees a million n take him I say

Man u knocking £20-30 million off the Jadon Sancho asking price as no-one else is bidding. Suggests they might bid higher if anyone else tried to hijack the deal. Other interest matters when buying. Maybe not a bidding war as such but there is a premium if you want something others want too.

us - 22 million

club a - ok we offer 17

If you think that two thirds agreed with you then your maths is as bad as your understanding of basic economics lol.

You do mate. Houses go to closing date all the time. My sister in law missed out on one the other week due to this after bidding 5k over the value following a chat with the owner who said someone had already put in a bid 3k over. It closed at 12 on the Friday and she got a call later that afternoon to say someone else had bid higher.

Not that I'm suggesting that we put a deadline on Morelos negotiations but it's quite obvious that we don't just go "oh so you are giving us the 20 million, that's cool. Let's not tell the other team that's interested." We go to the other team and try to screw them for more and then back to the first team and so on.

Last edited:

us - 22 million

club a - ok we offer 17

Us - we want £22m
Club a - we offer £17m
With no competition we are in a place of having to agree and negotiate, but if club b come in, club a can miss out, so we can push everyone closer to our evaluation.

It isn’t rocket science, it does still happen, and it is what we want to happen because it gives us a stronger hand.

I make a bid of 10m. Rangers go to you and say we've had a bid of 10m so you say 11m. Another club enquire and are told weve already had a bid of 11m. They then say 12m.

I really want the player though so I decide to up my original bid to 13m. And round and round we go.

And at the end of it all the selling club could say to us all na it's 20 or nothing. Or the bids might get to 18 max and the selling club decides that's as much as they are gonna get with the current market and sells. For a helluva lot more than the initial bids.

If there's not this "war" and only one club is interested then they say 10 million. We say no. Eventually we talk them up to 14million and they say that's as high as we are going so either sell or keep the player. The selling club then has a decision to make.

End of the day, a player is only worth what someone will pay. No point us valuing someone at £25 million if there's one club and they only want to pay £10million. You're never getting your £25 million in that circumstance. So you need to meet them somewhere in the middle or keep a possibly unhappy player. More clubs mean you can meet them in a higher place.

Just quoting my own post as I can't be bothered typing it again.

pearly we have a price for let’s say morelos.... so when they ask we high ball it and add on let’s say 10 million, they offer something and we negotiate back n forward we don’t go in right away with what we want we go higher to start, I thought that was obvious

if a team meets what we want we sell, bidding wars are for football manager
We absolutely will have a price. We absolutely will not tell anyone what that is until the ceiling in bids is reached. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

It's hard to believe actual rangers fans post pish like this...enjoy your hangover

If you think that two thirds agreed with you then your maths is as bad as your understanding of basic economics lol.
To me I ment 2 to 3 people agreed, sorry I wrote it as 2/3.... but saying that I felt the need to reply

what’s your take on a bidding war since you disagree with what I’m saying? Back up what u think

Goodnight.

As I mentioned in another post, 'value' is determined to a large degree by whether you are in a 'sellers' market - a market condition that results in pricing power for the seller - or whether a 'buyers' market exists when purchasers have an advantage over sellers in any price negotiations.

In other words, if club 'A' wishes sign a player under contract at club 'B', and club B' hasn't indicated a desire to sell the player, and if the player hasn't expressed a wish to leave and join club 'A', then the former has the advantage in any subsequent negotiations that may take place. In which case they hold 'pricing power' and are free to establish the player's transfer actual 'value'.

As I mentioned in another post, 'value' is determined to a large degree by whether you are in a 'sellers' market - a market condition that results in pricing power for the seller - or whether a 'buyers' market exists when purchasers have an advantage over sellers in any price negotiations.

In other words, if club 'A' wishes sign a player under contract at club 'B', and club B' hasn't indicated a desire to sell the player, and if the player hasn't expressed a wish to leave and join club 'A', then the former has the advantage in any subsequent negotiations that may take place. In which case they hold 'pricing power' and are free to establish the player's transfer actual 'value'.
this proves my point of it not being a bidding war, you sir have won a gold watch without even knowing it

you have described a transaction between 2 partys not a bidding war

good night

this proves my point of it not being a bidding war, you sir have won a gold watch without even knowing it

good night
Of course that’s not a “bidding war” there’s only one buying team in that example.

good night
Not necessarily. The same principle would apply if team B were then joined by teams C, D and E, each vying for the same player. In either case team A - the seller, would still retain, and therefore dictate, the pricing power involved in the transaction.

Apart from if the player doesnt want to go play for the highest bidder. I couldn't give a toss who I sell my house to.

Back