2 more players needed

A RB for cover for Tav is a must.

Tav gets suspended of injured then Ryan Jack will be there

I've spent a lot of time reading threads on here, chastising the coaching staff for not using or trusting our academy players. Entire threads questioning if we should continue funding our youth academy.

Patterson will get the nod, if and when required to cover for Tav. We don't need to waste funds on a back up right back.

I've spent a lot of time reading threads on here, chastising the coaching staff for not using or trusting our academy players. Entire threads questioning if we should continue funding our youth academy.

Patterson will get the nod, if and when required to cover for Tav. We don't need to waste funds on a back up right back.
I've read countless threads wanting Tav dropped or sold after virtually every game last season, albeit nonsense.

We do need to develop our academy players but not like that. We have two recognised full backs in Tav and Borna, not sure Bassey had any first team experience at all at Leiscter. Flanagan and Halliday both featured a lot last season showing that we need decent cover - especially in a 60 game season.

I've read countless threads wanting Tav dropped or sold after virtually every game last season, albeit nonsense.

We do need to develop our academy players but not like that. We have two recognised full backs in Tav and Borna, not sure Bassey had any first team experience at all at Leiscter. Flanagan and Halliday both featured a lot last season showing that we need decent cover - especially in a 60 game season.

Bassey & Patterson are the cover though regardless of current first team experience.

Flanagan and Halliday both featured heavily at LB. As Borna is prone to the odd niggly injury. Tav hardly misses a game. The only reason he did last season was due to his appendix.

Bassey has barely kicked a ball at senior level football. He is in the exact same boat as Patterson in that regard, although admittedly, Bassey seems to be a far more physically developed player. He is, however, just as inexperienced. So should we buy an experienced Leftback just incase as well?

Hagi to drop back into CM instead of Kamara, with Roofe RW and Itten as CF.

I think we're done.

I agree that’s the formation I see developing here. Kent, Itten and Roofe as the front 3 with Hagi dropping into midfield as provider. It’s where I think Hagi should be playing anyway.

I do think though that we will still look to add a dynamic box to box midfielder to speed up our transition from back to front.

So, 1 midfielder and our incoming business will be complete.

There is no way we’ll be looking to bring Maja in as well as the two strikers yesterday, even if (or rather when) Morelos goes.

Flanagan and Halliday both featured heavily at LB. As Borna is prone to the odd niggly injury. Tav hardly misses a game. The only reason he did last season was due to his appendix.

Bassey has barely kicked a ball at senior level football. He is in the exact same boat as Patterson in that regard, although admittedly, Bassey seems to be a far more physically developed player. He is, however, just as inexperienced. So should we buy an experienced Leftback just incase as well?
Our season went off a cliff when Tav was out and Patterson covered one game in that time.

I think we should have an experienced LB for cover as well yes.

This isn't controversial to want adequate cover, especially on a thread about additional signings. We have a lot of forward players surplus to requirements to free I p wages

No I don’t think we’ll buy more experienced cover at right or left back. Neither should we, we have two seemingly talented youngsters in Patterson and Bassey who can provide that cover for Tav and Borna. Those youngsters will never get any experience or develop in the way we need if we shunt them further down the pecking order by bringing in others. And I also think that Gerrard is - rightly - focused on first team quality rather than quantity in this window. With talented youngsters as back up, which makes sense to me.

get someone in who plays like Lassana Coulibaly in his first 5-10 games for us, lets not talk about him after that

Our season went off a cliff when Tav was out and Patterson covered one game in that time.

I think we should have an experienced LB for cover as well yes.

This isn't controversial to want adequate cover, especially on a thread about additional signings. We have a lot of forward players surplus to requirements to free I p wages

Our season fell apart because our entire squad shat it post winter break. It had very little to do with an injury to Tav.

It's not controversial but it is wholly unrealistic. Bassey was signed to be cover for Borna. Gerrard said as much on the day the signing was announced. We do have a lot of surplus to requirement players in the squad but filling the squad with marginally better back up players for positions that will rarely see game time. Seems a bit of a counter intuitive use of funds to me. Our midfield is the current area of the squad, that requires the most strengthening imo.

No I don’t think we’ll buy more experienced cover at right or left back. Neither should we, we have two seemingly talented youngsters in Patterson and Bassey who can provide that cover for Tav and Borna. Those youngsters will never get any experience or develop in the way we need if we shunt them further down the pecking order by bringing in others. And I also think that Gerrard is - rightly - focused on first team quality rather than quantity in this window. With talented youngsters as back up, which makes sense to me.

Oh I agree fully with you. The person I was replying to seems to think we should sign experienced cover for those areas.

Aribo won’t be playing in one of the 3 forward roles.

Neither will Arfield.

It's clear from pre season games that Aribo, Jack, Kamara, Davis and Arfield will be fighting for the 3 midfield positions.

That's pretty good squad depth and quality and even stronger, if another one is added.

Move on Stewart, Jones and Murphy who will be lucky to play 10 games between them this year and sign 1 quality cm and we are looking good . The squad is currently bloated with players who won’t get much game time
Wouldn't be surprised if Docherty was also moved on

One more centre mid signing on the level of Roofe and another player who can play across the front 3, would take a loan.

I can see us taking the same approach as with the strikers and bringing in one established midfielder at the peak of his career and another high potential younger player that we can develop further.

Assuming that Morelos moves on

Our season fell apart because our entire squad shat it post winter break. It had very little to do with an injury to Tav.

I’ve never entirely bought into this belief that the squad shat it because they couldn’t handle the pressure of a title challenge.

I think it was more to do with players simply tiring due to the intensity of our performances during the first half of the season and the number of games we played.

Without strength in depth we were unable to compensate for injury and suspension and after a couple of poor results the confidence began draining out of the team and it became like a snowball effect.

The additions of Roofe, Itten plus, hopefully, a midfielder of similar calibre, should help to guard against similar happening again this season.

It's not controversial but it is wholly unrealistic. Bassey was signed to be cover for Borna. Gerrard said as much on the day the signing was announced. We do have a lot of surplus to requirement players in the squad but filling the squad with marginally better back up players for positions that will rarely see game time. Seems a bit of a counter intuitive use of funds to me. Our midfield is the current area of the squad, that requires the most strengthening imo.
They aren't mutually exclusive though. We can need a midfielder and cover in other areas. Don't think it's unrealistic at all for us to look to pick up a free agent or a loan for fullback.

There are questions over the futures of murphy, Jones, Middleton, Barker, Docherty, McCrorie, Stewart and Kennedy.

Not including Kamara, Davis and Arfield who would be the most likely to lose their places for any new midfielder.

We definitely still need a strong midfielder with legs as a first teamer.

Could be that our attacking signings might help ease the pressure on the rest of the team though, if we can now convert more of the many chances we already make

With the luxury of 5 subs now, it is important if we go ahead by 3 goals, especially at home, that we start blooding these youngsters to gradually introduce them to first team football. Otherwise we might be throwing them in cold in big games where they may struggle. I think they’d cope but why not get them prepared for it as soon as possible rather than it being a real shock to them.

I'm using Jack as an example as he has played at rb before. You stated Patterson is backup whether I like it or not, bizarre on a thread you started about additional signing needs. Its the equivalent of me telling you that Greg Docherty is the cm we need whether you like it or not. (he's not!)

Any team with ambitions of competing domestically and in Europe does not go into a season with only one experienced rb and an inexperienced 18 year old who had 1 competitive start in a cup game against stranraer. (regardless of how highly rated he is). Especially as this forum is awash nearly daily with threads wanting Tav punted
Again but the point is Gerrard rates Patterson and if he’s good enough at 18 to be a back up then age doesn’t matter,no point in spending money and a back up r.b its just a waste of money and a wage.
Remember how many games tav had missed in 5 years it next to nothing.
Few more areas in team need money spending on than r.b, all just in imo of course.

Back