Itten set for debut ,Roofe and Allan McGregor to miss St Mirren game, daily record

Status
Not open for further replies.

_BlueNose_

doubts over Filip Helander, Steven Davis and Ross McCrorie while Jermain Defoe remains injured

Rangers could hand a debut to Cedric Itten on Sunday but Ibrox fans may have to wait a while longer to see Kemar Roofe in action.

Steven Gerrard signed the pair earlier this week with Itten coming off the back of an impressive end of the season with St Gallen, while Roofe hasn't played in 2020.

And the Ibrox gaffer admits it is likely to only be Itten who plays against St Mirren at Ibrox on Sunday afternoon.

Itten is up to speed having only just wrapped up his Swiss league duties, blasting four goals in a 7-0 final-day drubbing of Neuchatel Xamax last Friday.

But Roofe has not featured since injuring his calf while playing for Anderlecht back in December and needs time to build up his sharpness.

"But as for Kemar, we're monitoring his situation as the game might come a little bit too soon. He still needs a bit of conditioning.

"I'd say he is still a week to 10 days behind the squad in terms of general fitness.

"We'll continue to speed him up but St Mirren might be a bit early."

And Gerrard admits he may also have to hand new goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin a competitive debut against the Buddies with number one Allan McGregor struggling after Rangers' defeat to Bayer Leverkusen in Germany.

Giving a fitness round up, Gerrard said: "Allan McGregor is a doubt for the weekend. He's going to be looked at by the medical team and we will make a decision in the next 24 hours.

"Filip Helander has played his first game for a long time so we'll have to see how he recovers.

"The same goes for Steven Davis coming back from his Achilles injury, so we'll monitor those two over the next 24 to 48 hours, but I predict they will be OK for Sunday.

"Jermain Defoe still isn't ready, while Ross McCrorie has had a wee bit of a knock in training that we will assess."

What’s the problem with Greegs? Seems to have a lingering issue and I don’t recall anything from Thursday that might have aggravated it.

What’s the problem with Greegs? Seems to have a lingering issue and I don’t recall anything from Thursday that might have aggravated it.
I remember he slipped and ended up on his backside when he kicked to ball. He seemed to wince in discomfort when he got up. Hope it's not too bad as he had issues with he back before his return to us.

He said on RTV that he had missed a bit of pre-season with a hip injury. Might be why is distribution was a bit off last night? I'm pretty sure he's had back/hip niggles for a while. Very pleased we have a very capable back up.

Would liked to have seen Roofe but there is absolutely no point in risking him at this stage. Surely Helander will be rested, bound to have a reaction to playing his first 90 minutes in 8 months.

I put Arfield in instead of Kamara more in hope than expectation, no need for two DMs

I hope you're right. Arfield done well when he came on last night and was more positive than other midfielders. If Stewart had looked up he may even have set Arfield up for a goal.

QUOTE="Valley Bluenose, post: 6627600, member: 29"]
[/QUOTE]
Straight on his coccyx by the looks of it. A sore one.

Will be good for McLaughlin to get his full debut under his belt.

I get the impression Gerrard feels far more comfortable with him than he did with Wes. Far less likely to risk McGregor if he has a slight issue when we have such a capable backup.

I think Gerrard might be fed up with McGregors distribution and wants to try McLaughlin

8df43e43981286fe36f4842eb6f8fb5e.gif

Given Roofe and his fitness issues over the last few seasons, it would be mad to rush him.

He played a friendly against Saint Etienne a few weeks ago, other than that he hasn't played a match in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back