Does Hagi fall out of games

He pinged a couple of balls from the left, in the first half that bypassed their defensive line and landed at Tav or Aribo, as well as popping a couple over to Alfredo and Aribo in the middle running into the box. I don’t think he is any more or less “out the game” than any of the others. I think it’s down to them all being quite young, Kent, Aribo and Hagi are still early 20s, and Alfredo isn’t too much older, so consistency will always be a part of their battle to be a top player. An on form trio of Kent, Aribo and Hagi will be unstoppable.

If I'm being brutally honest, I think that is just nonsense. He has shown more ability in some solitary moments since joining than we've witnessed from anyone else in a number of years. He's joined a club with a system that takes a little too long to get the ball to the players that can influence the game - Hagi, Aribo and even Morelos. The new system for this season needs time to bed in as clearly Gerrard has worked on how we need to breakdown these 10 man defences and players like Hagi will be absolutely pivotal in all of that. Now criticism after lets say 25% of the season if things clearly are not improving, I get that. But phuck me gently - two games in?

Ability in solitary moments? You mean he has shown flashes in some games?

He has undoubted ability that much is true, maybe some of us are being a touch harsh, you won’t get many waiting for a quarter of the season before they criticise a player, that’s for sure.

Think also at times the team could get the ball to him more instead of Jack and Kamara fucking about passing sideways. We definitely need someone who’s not scared to pass through the lines.
A lot of the time he's the one making the run through the lines though.

Think also at times the team could get the ball to him more instead of Jack and Kamara fucking about passing sideways. We definitely need someone who’s not scared to pass through the lines.
Exactly this. Get the ball to him or Kent as soon as, it would speed up our rate of attack massively. Having Jack and Kamara in the same team against the likes of St Mirren really slows down our play and kills the counter.

Yes, he’s 21 and despite the hype hasn’t given us that much in domestic games in terms of output.

Firstly, we need to ensure that we have another forward player to rotate with, as he’s not capable of playing 60 or so games a season.

Secondly he needs to know that if he isn’t scoring or creating goals then he won’t be starting on a performance basis.

Him & Kent were never going to be enough for a championship chasing side.
I think it's a bit like when miko came , miko was a pass in front of everyone else & at first we didn't see much as at the time the team was a yard off a level below were miko had come from sampdoria I think , Hagi is a bit like that we are to slow in feeding him the ball & this side way passing definitely doesn't suit hagi , but once we get an upgrade in midfield & sharper passing everything will fall into place , Gerrard has stated that then you will see a different hagi

This won’t go down well, but I’ve not been massively impressed with him in domestic games in general since he’s been here. He’s either not in it enough or he doesn’t quite move the ball quick enough and things just don’t come off often enough. I also think for all our complaints of players not going for goal enough he shoots too often when other players are better positioned.

That being said, he clearly has the ability, it’s clear as day. It may be that in time he’ll adapt and be able to impose himself more in domestic games that tend to be congested and where we are afforded very little time on the ball. It’s early days either way and I still reckon he’ll be a really good player for us in domestic competition and in Europe.

Of course. Mischaracterising a respectful duscussion is another matter. IH isn't a 'whipping boy'.
Well lets see how this plays out in the coming weeks, but if others can have a negative opinion, but my opinion is classed as "mischaracterising a respectful discussion", something seems a little skewed in that?

He's still learning the game, give him a full year and I'm sure he will be more consistent. Some of his passing is as good as anybody iv seen in a Rangers Jersey, that includes, Laudrup, Gazza and Cooper
A very very bold statement. The lad is nowhere near that level

Can't be easy for the lad when the midfield round about him just want to go sideways or back the way as a natural instinct. For me a fast tempo brings out the best in him.
We have too many players who just want to go far to bloody s l o w l y.
He'll get better when we replace those around him.

Think it's partly due to him being one of, if not thee most, talented players at reading the game in that squad.
When he is standing in space ready to make the killer pass his teammates need to get the ball to him quicker instead of pissing around with it.
His pass against Braga away for instance to Kent - he sees the next move before he has the ball.

exactly this mate , his Brain is a step ahead and often looks poor because he sees passes or space to exploit and his team mates aren’t on the same wave length , he’s a gem of a player

I agree with that, but you can already hear the moans from the stands when the fans eventually return.

“C’moan you. Get stuck in, ya shiter!”
Unfortunately you're right, he isn't the type of player who's going be given much of a chance by our home crowd.

I think he’s got a lot of potential and will come good for us, though he is badly needing to put a bit of weight on.

He was poor yesterday.

In his defence though, he does make great runs and shows for the ball a lot and our other players don't seem to find him.

He has fantastic ability though but he's a flair player and he's only 21, we will need to be patient with him. It's a certainty his form will be up and down at times, he will need to be managed wisely. It will help we don't have fans in the stadium and people getting on his case constantly.

I can see Roofe playing in Hagi's position quite a lot after reading Gerrard's comments when he signed.

The reason you notice him giving the ball away a bit more is that he's the only one who sees things quick enough to try the risky pass. If somebody makes a dangerous run he'll try and find them, whereas the others will probably go for the safe pass. His vision and passing is sublime.
Agree with this. His vision is absolutely ridiculous.

He was poor yesterday.

In his defence though, he does make great runs and shows for the ball a lot and our other players don't seem to find him.

He has fantastic ability though but he's a flair player and he's only 21, we will need to be patient with him. It's a certainty his form will be up and down at times, he will need to be managed wisely. It will help we don't have fans in the stadium and people getting on his case constantly.

I can see Roofe playing in Hagi's position quite a lot after reading Gerrard's comments when he signed.
The thing I like about Hagi is his tenacity. Quite often these flair players aren't interested out of possession but Hagi has a great attitude and presses well and puts tackles in. He's another huge talent we've got our hands on.

This won’t go down well, but I’ve not been massively impressed with him in domestic games in general since he’s been here. He’s either not in it enough or he doesn’t quite move the ball quick enough and things just don’t come off often enough. I also think for all our complaints of players not going for goal enough he shoots too often when other players are better positioned.

That being said, he clearly has the ability, it’s clear as day. It may be that in time he’ll adapt and be able to impose himself more in domestic games that tend to be congested and where we are afforded very little time on the ball. It’s early days either way and I still reckon he’ll be a really good player for us in domestic competition and in Europe.

I'm in agreement with this almost totally.

The thing I like about Hagi is his tenacity. Quite often these flair players aren't interested out of possession but Hagi has a great attitude and presses well and puts tackles in. He's another huge talent we've got our hands on.

I think he's busy and gets about but he does lack strength....I'm not expecting John Brown but at the same time putting tackles in is not what I would think about when describing him.

The reason you notice him giving the ball away a bit more is that he's the only one who sees things quick enough to try the risky pass. If somebody makes a dangerous run he'll try and find them, whereas the others will probably go for the safe pass. His vision and passing is sublime.

Said previously he is on another level compared to most of team. Hagi and Aribo have clicked a few times, Alfie reads it most times as well, but he is just to quick for his teammates so far. As you say, it looks like he has made the wrong decision, or made a poor pass when he has seen an opening and assumed the receiving player has as well.

I think he's busy and gets about but he does lack strength....I'm not expecting John Brown but at the same time putting tackles in is not what I would think about when describing him.
Me neither, what I'm saying is he's willing to roll his sleeves up and get stuck in.

He has been terrible this season BUT he does have the set of skills required to make it, and I think he will.

However....crucially I 100% disagree with the "too lightweight to play against Tims and will be dropped". It was a pointless signing if he can't dismantle the pathetic, priestly pedarists.

He’s definitely got vision that no other player in our side possesses. The speed of thought to cut teams open is brilliant, it’s just a lot harder to find those opportunities in the ‘10 men behind the ball/kick and rush’ SPL games.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Hagi seems to tire and fall out of games around about the 70th minute?

He always starts brightly and makes good runs and puts some lovely passes through, but in the last two league games I thought he fell out of the game halfway through the 2and half.
I actually noticed this yesterday. He was a real threat in the 1st half and a lot of our good play went through him but he faded out of the 2nd half. Hes a good player though and i think he needs a goal to get his confidence up again.

This 100%
Add Davis doing the same when he comes on

Some of Hagi's passing yesterday was superb. He has great vision and as some have already mentioned, we need to get him on the ball quicker to take advantage of it.

He was unlucky with a shot inside their penalty box yesterday which was blocked by a defender. I've no doubt that Hagi will contribute a few goals this season, he needs time to get settled in.

Middle to front, we have a lot of players who are capable of being incredible.

Hagi, Kent, Kamara, Jack and Aribo are all very talented players and on their day can beat anyone. However, every single one of them is capable of being quiet and failing to stand out in any meaningful way.

This is why we need a better squad. Having these lot backed up by players who obviously aren't good enough is why we struggle.

Yes, he’s 21 and despite the hype hasn’t given us that much in domestic games in terms of output.

Firstly, we need to ensure that we have another forward player to rotate with, as he’s not capable of playing 60 or so games a season.

Secondly he needs to know that if he isn’t scoring or creating goals then he won’t be starting on a performance basis.

Him & Kent were never going to be enough for a championship chasing side & another for the 2 is vital.

Well said Grigo we need another quality wide player and central midfielder to mount a serious challenge to win our title back.

he’s not played a lot of first team football. He’ll improve with games. You can see he’s a player and hopefully we find a way to get the best out of him.

A very very bold statement. The lad is nowhere near that level
I know he’s well off that level ,he does have flashes of the guys I mentioned ,hopefully in time he becomes more consistent and improves decision making .the wee man can go to the very top .

He has been terrible this season BUT he does have the set of skills required to make it, and I think he will.

However....crucially I 100% disagree with the "too lightweight to play against Tims and will be dropped". It was a pointless signing if he can't dismantle the pathetic, priestly pedarists.

He has been terrible this season? Come on Earl ffs :))

Imo he was the only player who looked on Leverkusens level when he came on. He needs to receive the ball more to make things happen. He looked pretty well marked yesterday and was limited in his time on the ball. Imo he and Aribo should receive the ball direct from the centre mids BEFORE they've passed to each other 5 times and back to defense and then to each other again. This imo is where we are lacking atm.

He's a young lad getting up to speed with A. Our game B. Scotland and C. The thugs!

The boy clearly has talent and will be a fine asset going forward.

Still plenty of improvement required in his game but once fully up to speed fitness and strength wise as well as coaching he will be good for us.

Let's give the lad a chance to settle in, I know he came on loan, but we can hardly count last season.

Gone are the days when a Brian laudrup arrives at the club and immediately takes off,a player with a euro champs medal in his collection. Hately, Steven's and coisty are just a few who were slow off the mark.

We really need to learn patience with players, instead of consistently setting up an early lynch mob.

Patience is required here.

The boy’s had a bizarre start. He signed just as the team flunked for the second year in a row domestically, then was hit by the COVID pandemic and now we’re in a weird sort of staged start to the new season. It’s a very difficult position to be in fitness-wise, but mentally as well. He’ll be nowhere near settled yet.

I think, like many of the squad, he needs ten to fifteen competitive games before we start to judge.

My take on yesterday is

The team played like it was August 2019 and forgot we had a proper 10 wanting to probe and play passes.

They just kept running by him on the charge or passing wide while he stood showing arms pointing to receive the ball.

He does good and bad things. He'll do an incredible thing one moment then the next he will ping a cross 40 feet into the stand. It will take time and the more he matures as a player this will be eradicated from his game.

I wonder if Tavernier has read this?
He'll be breathing a sigh of relief now that we're two games into the season and the next whipping boy is lined up.

Back