Aberdeen v Hamilton may be postponed

uneasydaz

NATIONAL clinical director Jason Leitch has said that he cannot confirm that Aberdeen's Premiership match with Hamilton on Wednesday will go ahead.

Leitch has been briefing the managers and captains of all Scottish Premiership clubs at 5pm this evening at the end of a week which saw eight Aberdeen stars forced to quarantine after a night out in the city which is now under lockdown measures.

Speaking on the Go Radio show, Leitch said the Zoom Call had gone well but he couldn't guarantee yet that Wednesday's Pittodrie showdown against the Accies would be going ahead.

"It certainly is NOT confirmed. Everybody is hopeful.

"Everybody is hopeful that Aberdeen city will get through this outbreak and get out the other end of it.

"But we have some important decisions to make on Wednesday for the population at large

And depending on that, it will have an influence on the game and what can happen around that.

"Because this game is in Aberdeen, not an away game.

"The wish is that elite football, like all elite sports, gets back as quick as they possibly can. But they have also got a responsibility. With privilege comes responsibility and that is what we have been getting across to clubs.

"For the first time I think, all captains and all managers have been in the one place at the one time, so it is a pretty unique moment, expressing the seriousness with which we are all taking this.

"The SPFL convened this and I and a couple of others from the Government went on and it was constructive and friendly but you won't be surprised to hear that I was pretty robust and assertive.

"Because I am a football fan and I don't want that return to be put at risk.

"Nor do I want people abused or vilified in any way - people make mistakes so let's move on from that.

"But this might have been a moment in time where football players realise we are not messing around here.

"750,000 people have died from this virus globally so you trifle with this virus at your peril."

As for a swift return of football in front of crowds, Leitch said the Aberdeen row hasn't done that idea any favours.

"I don't think this has helped but this wasn't a fan problem.

"We are worried about indoor hospitality, we have got an outbreak now in Aberdeen which is 167 people."

"The broader question on the guidance as to whether players should go out at all.

"I think there is an argument that elite sports people should go beyond the guidelines, not think they are just behaving like the general public."

Rod Petrie, Chair of the Joint Response Group, said: “The JRG is thankful to Professor Leitch, as well as the managers and captains of Scottish Premiership clubs, for facilitating a video call to reinforce the message that Scottish football is serious in its commitment to helping the country emerge from the COVID crisis as safely as possible.
“The events of last week were deeply regrettable but the JRG commends the immediate response by the Aberdeen owner, David Cormack, and the manager, Derek McInnes, in dealing with the matter and providing government with the necessary confidence that there will be no repeat."

won't be a surprise if it is cancelled tbh. If anyone else gets it you need to be off your work for a week.

“Because this game is in Aberdeen, not an away game”

I’m sorry but that makes no sense at all. Either team will need to stay in a hotel overnight so both are equally at risk of spreading it. What he means here is they will make sure they can play against his beloved club on Saturday at all costs while 8 players down.

If anything the fact the Hamilton game is an evening game and Hamilton can go up and back in the same day makes that the safer of the 2 upcoming games

Last edited:
I thought the st Johnstone game got cancelled because of the 8 players isolating.

Why is the narrative now changing to be more to do with the city being in lockdown?

I assume their next away game is definitely going ahead with the 8 players missing.

Who they playing again?

“Because this game is in Aberdeen, not an away game”

I’m sorry but that makes no sense at all. Either team will need to stay in a hotel overnight so both are equally at risk of spreading it. What he means here is they will make sure they can play against his beloved club on Saturday at all costs while 8 players down.

I try not to go in for all the conspiracy theories but I have a feeling there’s going to be some total BS at some point from Timothy re covid and when games are played this season

Edit - Even more so than we’ve already seen with the date of the old firm.

They should forfeit the games if they can’t play them and that should be the precedent for the season
Despite the contraction of COVID being avoidable on this occasion, I think this would be a dangerous precedent.

You would be encouraging teams not to disclose their situation and instead just ‘drop’ players who test positive. Let me paint a picture, 2 games left in the season with us and them tied on points. Do you just forfeit your last two games and therefore the title?

1. Stop making every thread like this about "The Bheasts". This is entirely down to the moronic behaviour of Aberdeen players.
2. They kinda need to make their mind up soon, as the game is in less than 2 days.

Games should be postponed like in any other match to date during lockdown, Home or away if temas location is isolating.

Its not rocket science.

And if game is not played then it awarded ppg as this is the precedent that has been set.

Something doesn't add up with this and I hope someone can enlighten me. The players were out after playing us last wknd, the positive case was on Thursday and now 8 players are having to quarantine. I would have thought the whole squad would have to quarantine, as I would have thought the players would have been training 3 days before the positive case and there was certainly no social distancing during that. So to me the whole first team have been put at risk and they might show no symptoms for 14 days, so how the hell can it only be 8 players, under the rules Aberdeen can't play for two weeks, without putting other teams at risk and that has to be the whole squad. I look forward to someone telling me what the feck is going on.

Reactions: Gee
Something doesn't add up with this and I hope someone can enlighten me. The players were out after playing us last wknd, the positive case was on Thursday and now 8 players are having to quarantine. I would have thought the whole squad would have to quarantine, as I would have thought the players would have been training 3 days before the positive case and there was certainly no social distancing during that. So to me the whole first team have been put at risk and they might show no symptoms for 14 days, so how the hell can it only be 8 players, under the rules Aberdeen can't play for two weeks, without putting other teams at risk and that has to be the whole squad. I look forward to someone telling me what the feck is going on.
There’s certainly detail there but getting important information isn’t the way in Scotland mate

If Jason Leitch is a football fan and supports the bheasts then Aberdeen will have to play them, he'd even run them down to Glasgow if need be.

I think people are being a bit blaise about this whole thing.

"Aberdeen should be expelled etc". Really? Be careful what you wish for. I doubt this will be the only game postponed in Scotland or anywhere else for that matter. The whole thing could easily derail the entire season.

Despite the contraction of COVID being avoidable on this occasion, I think this would be a dangerous precedent.

You would be encouraging teams not to disclose their situation and instead just ‘drop’ players who test positive. Let me paint a picture, 2 games left in the season with us and them tied on points. Do you just forfeit your last two games and therefore the title?
They can’t hide it. The authorities get told who’s failed the tests

1. Stop making every thread like this about "The Bheasts". This is entirely down to the moronic behaviour of Aberdeen players.
2. They kinda need to make their mind up soon, as the game is in less than 2 days.

It’s Aberdeen’s fault for sure but this is exactly the type of situation where the tims will announce what they want and then it’ll happen. That’s why they’re being brought up

It seemed fairly clear to me from Sturgeons press briefing today that another week of lockdown in Aberdeen is going to happen.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the games against Hamilton and Celtic are both be off.

He’s not qualified to be in the role same as the woman that chose Fife. Both hard line secessionists hence the job. Welcome to pathetic corrupt Cold Water Cuba. I bet the 2 government officials were sitting with their green and grey scum shirts on.

Jason Leitch isn't "hard line" nor are you correct in your assumption of what team he supports.

Aberdeen could field eleven red and white traffic cones. What would be different.

Celtc would win easily. The SMSM would salivate as if Brazil 70 were reincarnate in green and grey hoops.

OK! I know. The traffic cones would put in more effort than Considine and McKenna. F.uck! Clancy might even send one of them off.

I think people are being a bit blaise about this whole thing.

"Aberdeen should be expelled etc". Really? Be careful what you wish for. I doubt this will be the only game postponed in Scotland or anywhere else for that matter. The whole thing could easily derail the entire season.
Agreed. Here's hoping we are top when it happens.

I try not to go in for all the conspiracy theories but I have a feeling there’s going to be some total BS at some point from Timothy re covid and when games are played this season

Edit - Even more so than we’ve already seen with the date of the old firm.
Its like PoD on tap, to use and abuse on a whim.

If Aberdeen can't fulfill their fixtures they should be expelled from the Premiership.

Hearts can replace them, and Aberdeen can then play in the Championship which doesn't kick off until the autumn anyway.
Good argument and makes sense. That's why it'll Never happen.

Agreed. Here's hoping we are top when it happens.

It would be interesting. But assuming the situation deteriorated in the winter, with only half or less games played...what would happen? I'm no conspiracy theorist but I don't believe Rangers would have been given the title if we were in the exact same position as Celtic in March. So i see zero prospect of the season being called earlier if fewer games have been played and Rangers were in top.

Say the situation spiraled out of control in December/January, and we were top...we'd be sitting around waiting for the season to resume again in June.

Good argument and makes sense. That's why it'll Never happen.

Is it? As far as Im aware, COVID 19 doesn't really care if you're an Aberdeen, mentally challenged or Rangers player.

Their players were idiotic, but do you really think they'll be the only club to see fixtures postponed due to this virus which seems to be slowly creeping again?

Back