Does Hagi fall out of games

I reckon he will be a huge player for us this season after the team and himself are back up to complete match fitness. We have only played 3 competitive games within space of a week.

That's what we have to understand with a player like that though, a game changer who can be largely anonymous but provide that bit of individual brilliance to see us through games. He isn't a battler or someone who gets stuck in, he's a flair player who can create or score a goal out of nothing
We also need to understand that if the opposition have 3 men on him, that's what gives Kent and others the time and space they appear to have.
It's not always black and white.

If our midfield wasn't so risk adverse you would see a lot more of him making a bigger impact on games.

He is constantly in dangerous areas shouting for the ball but doesn't get it because nobody in our midfield 3 is mentally strong enough to play the pass

If our midfield wasn't so risk adverse you would see a lot more of him making a bigger impact on games.

He is constantly in dangerous areas shouting for the ball but doesn't get it because nobody in our midfield 3 is mentally strong enough to play the pass

This was doing my head in yesterday. It happens with Aribo quite a lot as well.

Its a shame we haven't seen Defoe play with Hagi much yet (if at all?). I think they could link up well.

He has the talent and the right attitude. It will fall into place in time. Ideally he would have had the rest of last season to settle but he's still playing well anyway and will get better

I didn't think FF could still surprise me but there you go. Hagi opened up St Mirren a good few times yesterday. The goals and assists will come.

The boy has bags of talent.

Plus enjoys a shot from 20/25 yards with decent accuracy, something which will come in handy with resillient defences playing for the 0-0.

Would look better if we had a midfielder behind him who found it natural to pass forward and not backwards. He gets into space and it takes jack or Kamara that extra second longer than a forward thinking no8 would do to pass it. In that time his space gets closed down, giving him less time on the ball without being pressured. The drifting out of games thing, he’s a flair player, they don’t tend to take the game by the scruff of the neck. He’s their to produce a moment of magic etc that will help break the teams down.

Well said Grigo we need another quality wide player and central midfielder to mount a serious challenge to win our title back.

Agree with you on both LLNS.

If we had more cash I’d have liked cover for both Tav & Borna, one guy covering both I mean.

Nathan will be great but it’s a big ask at his age if he were to be thrown in against the manky mob. And big Bassey I just don’t see as a wing back, more a full back, so our assists from the left could suffer if Borna is out.

I don’t expect this, it’s just the one remaining area of risk if we get who you are talking about mate.

This won’t go down well, but I’ve not been massively impressed with him in domestic games in general since he’s been here. He’s either not in it enough or he doesn’t quite move the ball quick enough and things just don’t come off often enough. I also think for all our complaints of players not going for goal enough he shoots too often when other players are better positioned.

That being said, he clearly has the ability, it’s clear as day. It may be that in time he’ll adapt and be able to impose himself more in domestic games that tend to be congested and where we are afforded very little time on the ball. It’s early days either way and I still reckon he’ll be a really good player for us in domestic competition and in Europe.
Yes, he does go for goal at more or less opportunity instead of playing the pass and finding a teammate in a better position, I’m sure he will improve on that front with age.

Obviously not on the same level as him but Hagi reminds me a lot of Bruno Fernandes, always try the risky pass, not the best dribbling wise and their main objective is getting a shot off. Obviously not the same in everything they do but I think they have a lot of similar qualities.

He’s definitely got vision that no other player in our side possesses. The speed of thought to cut teams open is brilliant, it’s just a lot harder to find those opportunities in the ‘10 men behind the ball/kick and rush’ SPL games.

This.

The low block / park the bus makes it really hard for him as there’s no space behind the defence for him to split them.

During pre season when we played actual Football teams he was hungry to be involved in everything and had plenty of space to do so.
sphell is totally different when playing against pub teams.

Think he is still finding his feet , looks like he is trying too hard at times.

Has vision and ability, when he settles he will be a real important player for us.

I have no doubt about that.

I agree, looks like he’s trying too hard from what I’ve seen.

Said to my pals last season after 5 or so games he’s not in a game enough for me the odd flashes but they were like naw! Naw! He’s brilliant I said if they want £5m for him they can keep him. We ended up paying £3m am I seeing a £3m player not yet. I know It’s early day but he needs to do more for me, potential is definitely their but we had windass who scored 14 goals a season who cost about £200k And went missing in games.
really hope hagi lives up to the hype.

Our midfield is a hinderence at the moment. The front three take up good positions but the pass doesn't come quick enough or at all at times. Our tempo has been rather lathergic at times as well, which slows everything down. Also forces our front three to drop deeper in search of a touch of the ball.

He'll get better. No doubt and increased competition will make him a better player. He signed a 4 year deal. Took Aribo until this season to fully bed in.

Both hagi and Aribo need to start taking games by the scruf of the neck. They are fantastically talented, game changing players. They are capable of things that others in the team can't do. I want them to play with confidence and aggression - they have it in their locker.

Certainly when he gets the ball he hasn’t been amazing this season (out with the first 30 minutes yesterday) but his movement is allowing players like Kent & Aribo to find space & flourish. Early days though and I’m sure he will get plenty goals this season.

Sometimes I wonder what FollowFollow users are smoking, he was great against St Mirren. He set up or contributed to several opportunities and he had one Hollywood top four in the English Premier League through pass out wide right at one point.

If any of those had let to a goal it would be people saying he was invaluable.

We had over 20 shots and he was a big part of that!

This.

The low block / park the bus makes it really hard for him as there’s no space behind the defence for him to split them.

Absolutely. You see in Europe how deadly he can be when he has a few seconds and there’s some space in behind the defence. Doesn’t happen often when teams are camped in their own 18 yard box.

He seemed fine to me. I think it is just a case of players adjusting to playing competitive football for the first time in a long time.

Just read the whole thread. Unbelievable. He’s just twenty one and it’s two games into the season, both of which we won. Don’t understand sections of our support at times. No wonder Morelos wants away.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Hagi seems to tire and fall out of games around about the 70th minute?

He always starts brightly and makes good runs and puts some lovely passes through, but in the last two league games I thought he fell out of the game halfway through the 2and half.

Yes he does.

Said to my pals last season after 5 or so games he’s not in a game enough for me the odd flashes but they were like naw! Naw! He’s brilliant I said if they want £5m for him they can keep him. We ended up paying £3m am I seeing a £3m player not yet. I know It’s early day but he needs to do more for me, potential is definitely their but we had windass who scored 14 goals a season who cost about £200k And went missing in games.
really hope hagi lives up to the hype.

You're not seeing a £3m player?

Celtic agreed to pay Motherwell £3.25m for Turnbull.

I thought Aribo went missing more than Hagi yesterday.

His passing not necessarily his work rate is what stands out for me. I have no doubt he’ll improve.

Not sure if you noticed but we’ve had just about a perfect start to the season so far. It’s hard to be too critical of the players.
Aribos pass to barasic for third goal was fantastic

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Hagi seems to tire and fall out of games around about the 70th minute?

He always starts brightly and makes good runs and puts some lovely passes through, but in the last two league games I thought he fell out of the game halfway through the 2and half.
So far yes, too many times he has not been a 90 min player! Must improve

He was un playable in the first half and we could have been 5 or 6 up, bit harsh on the boy here. He was still playing very well in the second half.

You're not seeing a £3m player?

Celtic agreed to pay Motherwell £3.25m for Turnbull.
How many goals did he score that season? Was in the form of his life.
all I’m saying is the jury is very much still out, as I said aswell windass scored a fair number off goals but went missing In every other game, he was £200k. Agreed.

One of the best things about Hagi is that even when he's not playing as well as he can, he still creates chances and has moments that can hurt the opposition.

Against Aberdeen, he got shots in from distance and created that chance for Morelos. Against St Mirren, he won the early free kick that was a good chance, probably should have scored, and set up another good chance for Morelos.

And I'll have forgotten stuff.

He absolutely can be better, but it's promising that he's still involved so much in our attacking play even when he's not at his best.

Our support follows trends you can see-we buy someone and see talent they get overhyped and punters are overly sensitive to any criticism. However if these players don't develop quickly and are part of a team that's not successful they will get slaughtered and it can be a long way back....take Ryan Kent like Gerrard he was partly saved by the hiatus as heavy criticism was ongoing.

The question for me with Hagi is he suited to our game and will he get time to develop? I'm not sure anyone can safely answer that.

It goes deeper as well does the club look at a 3M investment and think longer term rather than stopping 10IAR?
Now we've bought Roofe is just about good quality across the squad?

These are questions none of us know the answer to but for me the reality is pretty much the case that SG will go next season one way or another if the title doesn't come home.

In that context with development players being a big part of any success we might have I wouldn't have spent 3M on another development player. That said early signs are Aribo and Kent are emerging stronger after one season under their belt. Hagi will need to adapt quickly in my book-but his lack of pace and strength worry me. Every chance I could be wrong but I would have utilised that 3M towards a more robust playmaker...

Last edited:
He’s a great player, isn’t shy to come looking for the ball. His control and passing is excellent I’m just not convinced he’s a starter but I’d play him most games. 65 minute sub for me, think Roofe will start ahead of him.

Hagi plays the type of pass that others don’t see or won’t try. That’s where his worth lies not whether or not he’s involved until the last minute.

One of the best things about Hagi is that even when he's not playing as well as he can, he still creates chances and has moments that can hurt the opposition.

Against Aberdeen, he got shots in from distance and created that chance for Morelos. Against St Mirren, he won the early free kick that was a good chance, probably should have scored, and set up another good chance for Morelos.

And I'll have forgotten stuff.

He absolutely can be better, but it's promising that he's still involved so much in our attacking play even when he's not at his best.
It's about opinions but I think creatively he's been quite weak.

Two games in that's reasonable stance you have but ultimately if it becomes a handful of games then it becomes a concern, if we drop points he will be a bigger focal point in terms of criticism.

Be nice to see him get a goal and get settled in. He can't play well every week at 21 but he doesn't want to be in and out with nothing to show for it either.

I think he is the type of player who is a bit of a luxury. He has that ability to change a game with brilliance but he needs grafters behind him.

Kent was similar last year but seems to have changed it dramatically this season so far

Back