Squad as is or sell Morelos to fund CM?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
If that’s the choice facing us would you prefer we kept Morelos even if it meant that no more signings came in or would you sell AM (assuming acceptable bid) to fund a midfield addition?

While I’m sure we all agree that we could do with another midfielder, and especially a more dynamic one, I personally think the squad as it is would keep interesting. The issue for me last year was goals outwith AM, it’s early days but I think we can expect more from Kent, Hagi and Aribo plus Roofe and Itten.

Ideally we’d have signed Roofe and a midfielder if Morelos was to stay (IMO) but now we’re probably a bit top heavy if Morelos stays.

Anyway would you rather AM stays or CM comes in if that’s the option?

If that’s the choice facing us would you prefer we kept Morelos even if it meant that no more signings came in or would you sell AM (assuming acceptable bid) to fund a midfield addition?

While I’m sure we all agree that we could do with another midfielder, and especially a more dynamic one, I personally think the squad as it is would keep interesting. The issue for me last year was goals outwith AM, it’s early days but I think we can expect more from Kent, Hagi and Aribo plus Roofe and Itten.

Ideally we’d have signed Roofe and a midfielder if Morelos was to stay (IMO) but now we’re probably a bit top heavy if Morelos stays.

A CM at the very least is coming in whether we sell Morelos or not. It is the most glaringly obvious omission from our transfer dealings with thus far.
Another wide option like Skov Olsen may follow on loan. IMHO we will sign another forward if Morelos is sold.

If those are the choices then I’d keep Morelos, the midfield is much better than people are making out, although it would be improved by a player who can progress the ball well.

A powerhouse midfielder who can pick the ball up and drive and carry it forward and find a forward pass then that’s ideal

plus the Lad Skov Olsen on a loan to buy and it would be a great window
This is exactly my thoughts this would be the perfect window

If it was a straight choice of sell Alfie to bring in 1 midfielder only , then no , I would rather keep Alfie. But if we were to sell him and bring in a top class midfielder plus another striker , I would sell.

We sell Morelos and I think we need to bring in another attacker to replace, I think roofe will be used a lot behind the striker. Then we need a no8 who carries the ball forward and plays forward passes at the right time. I then think after that we are near enough sorted, we may need another wing option considering the back up wing option right now is barker.

We’ll not be spending all of the Morelos fee when he goes and as several posters have said above, I’d imagine some of it had already been spent on his replacements.

Sell Morelos for two new CMs - a proper number six and a proper number eight (happy with Jack and Kamara in the box to box roles) then I am in.

Roofe and Itten cover Morelos, I see no reason why we’d have brought them in without Morelos being for the off, unless he’s planning to use Roofe off the right.

If those are the choices then I’d keep Morelos, the midfield is much better than people are making out, although it would be improved by a player who can progress the ball well.

This is exactly my thoughts.

We’d 100% be improved if we could bring in a more forward thinking CM but with all the firepower we currently have (including AM) I think we’d be really hard to stop.

If the choice is Alfie or another CM. Then its Alfie all day long. The biggest issue we had last season was breaking down teams who sit in. The more strikers and attacking options we have, the better chance we do that. We control the midfield in just about every game we play domestically, so while id like a midfield upgrade, its not as important an issue as getting goals

We’ll not be spending all of the Morelos fee when he goes and as several posters have said above, I’d imagine some of it had already been spent on his replacements.

I know, I’m not suggesting we’d be spending 20M (or anywhere near that) on a CM if that’s what Morelos goes for, as you say I’m sure Roofe and Itten has been funded with the expectation that Morelos leaves but with rumours of Lille now going for Sadiq then maybe we won’t receive a suitable big.

If the choice is Alfie or another CM. Then its Alfie all day long. The biggest issue we had last season was breaking down teams who sit in. The more strikers and attacking options we have, the better chance we do that. We control the midfield in just about every game we play domestically, so while id like a midfield upgrade, its not as important an issue as getting goals

I’d honestly say a goal getting midfielder is much more important than four strikers when you play with the one central frontman.

Morelos is also yet to prove he can do it over a full season.

I’d honestly say a goal getting midfielder is much more important than four strikers when you play with the one central frontman.

Morelos is also yet to prove he can do it over a full season.

In many respects i agree with you. I think a goal threat from midfield would help. The issue with that though is, we play essentially 2 holding midfielders, so upgrading either Jack or Kamara, is likely to be a like for like player, and therefore not likely to be a goal getter either.

With Alfie, at least we can go 2 or even 3 up top if chasing a game, given the options we now have. As for not proving it over a season, we dont have a winter break this season, and i truly believe if he doesnt move this summer he will know he needs to do better over a full year to earn the move he wants next year.

I haven't seen any intimation they come hand in hand. Gerrard has stated he wants a body in there and says he is also under no pressure to sell

I agree, that’s the public message but in reality we all know that we’re running at a loss and at some point we’ll need to cash in on an asset to bring in money.

Hopefully not yet though.

No way we’ve signed itten and roofe on the fact Morelos might be sold, would be massively stupid as anything can happen like a bad injury especially if we keep playing him

Don't think we need to sell Morelos to buy a midfielder not according to Gerrard anyway.

I always take those statements with a pinch of salt. He can hardly say we ballsed it by assuming he was off so we spend half the cash on two replacements and were going to bank the rest.

I don’t think AM would be a good squad player. His attitude when he was subbed in the friendlies was as poor as his performance. When it works for him it looks world class however at other times when he is snatching at shots or trying to to shoot through a defender it is poor,

I would take the cash and get a very good attacking midfield player from Europe.

We set our price, my opinion £22 million if no one pays it he stays.
he’s our player and on form he’s one hell of a player so yes the money would be nice but give me a quality player like him anytime.

No way we’ve signed itten and roofe on the fact Morelos might be sold, would be massively stupid as anything can happen like a bad injury especially if we keep playing him

I’d love to know what the situation is regarding this. The timing of Roofe and Itten made me think Morelos leaving was definitely going to be announced after Leverkusen, but everything Gerrard has said since then indicates that Alfie’s situation had no effect on the signings.
We also seem to be going ahead and getting another player in regardless of Alfie still being here.

I can only think the board are content with the finances and happy to invest in the team knowing that there’s two champions league spots from next year and Morelos will command a big fee at some point down the line, even if it’s not this window.

I’d rather keep Morelos at this stage, as I see an eventual move to 4231 in our future anyways which frees Hagi for the creator slot in behind the striker feeding Morelos, Roofe and Kent.

I always take those statements with a pinch of salt. He can hardly say we ballsed it by assuming he was off so we spend half the cash on two replacements and were going to bank the rest.

I don’t think AM would be a good squad player. His attitude when he was subbed in the friendlies was as poor as his performance. When it works for him it looks world class however at other times when he is snatching at shots or trying to to shoot through a defender it is poor,

I would take the cash and get a very good attacking midfield player from Europe.

If we ballsed it up and spent money we didn’t have would Gerrard really be talking so openly about getting a midfielder in?

I have a feeling we've already spent some of the Morelos money, but I'd love him to stay.
I think this is as well, but we've got a few players off the books on the close season not on peanuts

Wes,flanno,Haliday, polste.. all adds up

We'll probably move on Doherty and mccorie as well at least

Looking at the question logically, we shouldn't contemplate selling Alfie until Roofe and Itten have shown themselves capable replacements. However, if I were a gambling man I'd go ahead and take a chance - sell Morelos and use a large chunk of the proceeds on buying a really good dynamic fielder. If we got it right and the new midfielder was a success, I really do think we could take the beasts and win the league.

I’d love to know what the situation is regarding this. The timing of Roofe and Itten made me think Morelos leaving was definitely going to be announced after Leverkusen, but everything Gerrard has said since then indicates that Alfie’s situation had no effect on the signings.
We also seem to be going ahead and getting another player in regardless of Alfie still being here.

I can only think the board are content with the finances and happy to invest in the team knowing that there’s two champions league spots from next year and Morelos will command a big fee at some point down the line, even if it’s not this window.
Yeah my thoughts too mate, especially with Ross Wilson there too. Seems to amateur for our new set up

Morelos for £20m, a CM to help sort out the situation in midfield and another forward player and I will be happy.

It is inevitable that Morelos leaving imo. Let's get it done and dusted ASAP so we can all move on and further strengthen key areas.

Midfield really needs attention - and when sorted it should help players like Hagi by having more dynamic players in their when going forward.

We need another good centre mid even with Morelos if he does we need a striker and one too.

Taking a chance if we go without one and or the other.

I have a feeling we've already spent some of the Morelos money, but I'd love him to stay.

in the last few seasons we have spent around 10m per season

that is about the figure we have spent so far this summer

this is without new improved revenue from castore ect

As top drawer as Morelos has been for us we’ve won nothing with that midfield and we won’t any time soon. If we slightly weaken up top by selling him but significantly improve the midfield then it’s a no brainer.

Sell Morelos, and strengthen further.
Gerrard back tracked when he said one more in midfield,.
Than added I don't know, depends what's going on.
Always said they would strengthen if the right player/s came along.
Funnily enough with the selling of Morelos, I could see that happening.
Hopefully one glaring position for me needs strengthening, if we still get in a CM.

With the prices for players now 2 players with the quality we're looking for might be more like it.
That's were Ross Wilson and the scouts come in 2 or 3 Kent level fees with the right scouting could win us the league I think it's possible for us to spend that if some of the squad players are sold off

Whether Morelos goes or not, if we fail to bring in a couple of first team midfielders we could live to regret it.

Imo were buying a quality cm no matter what happens with AM. If our signing policy was dependant on selling AM he would have already be sold, and not playing in games he could get injured in.

If he is sold we will need a top quality st to replace him.

We have to keep improving the squad and if selling Morelos is part of that process then so be it. We need a dominant midfielder

Imo the team we have just now is good enough to win the spfl, but 1 injury in midfield I think we would be light. If we can find a decent midfielder on the cheap then we can keep morelos. Even a loan signing would do me

I’m pretty sure Alfie could be that attacking mid.we crave.;)

Back