St Johnstone - what do we know about their new signings?

Craig Conway is still pretty decent, Shaun Rooney is a solid defensive option at a lower level so it'll probably translate to 90% of the games that St.Johnstone will play this season but I don't know anything about the two lads they brought in from Milwall.

Biggest change is the manager, New to the job, but a former player and he's got Alec Cleland and Steven MacLean as right-hand men so they're going to know what they are doing.

However, we've seen sides like this a thousand times. Sit in deep, be very organised defensively and lump the ball forward to O'Halloran on the wing, May as a target man they'll take it on or wait for a late runner at the edge of the box.

We should aim to get a couple on the board early doors, to nullify the random breakaway goals we love to concede, and then build from there.

Craig Conway is still pretty decent, Shaun Rooney is a solid defensive option at a lower level so it'll probably translate to 90% of the games that St.Johnstone will play this season but I don't know anything about the two lads they brought in from Milwall.

Biggest change is the manager, New to the job, but a former player and he's got Alec Cleland and Steven MacLean as right-hand men so they're going to know what they are doing.

However, we've seen sides like this a thousand times. Sit in deep, be very organised defensively and lump the ball forward to O'Halloran on the wing, May as a target man they'll take it on or wait for a late runner at the edge of the box.

We should aim to get a couple on the board early doors, to nullify the random breakaway goals we love to concede, and then build from there.
Is O'Halloran not suspended after the red card last outing?

They have one of the better records for teams visiting Ibrox, that’s why we need to be solid at back and get a couple of goals in front early.

If we play like the first half against At Midden we will be ok, at it from the first whistle though!

Gerrard isn't daft, they all say one game at a time but he will know we have a real chance of heaping pressure on them so he will have them well up for it.

Apparently been working on playing 5-2-3, or probably more 3 2 2 2 1, so a different shape to most we have faced.

O’Halloran is suspended

Thought Conway went to America. Turns out it was Johnny Russell. Conway was alright back in the day.

We should have enough firepower to beat them. Any reason why they have only played one game before us?

It is an interesting one, Conway, O'Halloran (if not suspended) and May can cause any team in this league issues.
New manager so will they be as pragmatic as under Wright?
I firmly believe we will see the "Low Block" again, its up to us to break this, get one or two goals and then they will have to come out

Thought Conway went to America. Turns out it was Johnny Russell. Conway was alright back in the day.

We should have enough firepower to beat them. Any reason why they have only played one game before us?
They were supposed to play Aberdeen at the weekend but it was postponed. Hoping that leaves them a little rusty and still catching up with match fitness

They were due to play the sheep on Saturday but was postponed for obvious reasons

I knew Tommy Wright was away but had no idea Callum Davidson had replaced him.

Relatively new young manager so hopefully he's all about "philosophy" and other such hipster wankspeak and they open up and try to play football and we spank their arse.

I knew Tommy Wright was away but had no idea Callum Davidson had replaced him.

Relatively new young manager so hopefully he's all about "philosophy" and other such hipster wankspeak and they open up and try to play football and we spank their arse.

he favours a 5-2-3 formation which I can’t see them playing tonight.

Wasnt aware they signed conway

Did Ally not try to sign him for Div 3 team ?

Always a threat much the same as McCann was before signing him. No idea if Conway still has pace.

We tried signing Conway when he was at Dundee Utd, or at least there was talk of it. He basically won them the cup and we were linked with him after that, he ended up in England. That must be 10 years ago now, no idea what he’s like now.

Sure he is suspended.

Conway can certainly whip in a fantastic cross. Need to be aware of that

He's probably the outlet tonight, but they have a really good Northern Ireland youth international that buzzes about like a nuisance and Liam Craig can hit one from distance.

If they put May up front and Wotherspoon as another target man, they will probably try to get Conway to cross from deep to the two target men, who will either go for target or lay-up Craig who would be making a late run from deep.

May started on the bench against Dundee United. I suspect Calum Hendry will play up front tonight for them.

While they'll struggle a bit for match sharpness, the easiest way to play in terms of not running yourself into the ground is to sit deep and stay in your positions as such. They won't chase the ball, because they know we're fitter and sharper, and the heat tonight will make that even more of a factor.

Really don't think they should be anything to worry about. Signing for teams like st johnston must be a sign of players way by their best.

Always liked Conway and thought he was under selected for scotland early to mid 2010s. Not sure what he’s like now but you’d think he’d be a standout for St Johnstone considering the level he’s come from. Not sure if a 90 minute defensive shift suits his game tonight though.

A couple of times over the last 2 seasons - they've actually looked quite decent to me
They seemed to be a notch or two above Hamilton, Livingston etc. on their day - wherever their league position ended up - but of course they weren't consistent -

They'd be fairly solid, composed & well organised one week- only to collapse the next week- just like their other opponents in the lower half of the table who'd regularly swap points with each other

Consequently I'd always be pleased to take all 3 points off them because they were a banana skin - if we weren't careful

I see no reason to treat them lightly irrespective of management or personnel changes - & once again I'll be glad of a win in a potentially difficult fixture -

That's being sensible imo - I've no wish to be over cautious - just realistic

Think it's always a good idea to have an idea of your opponents. My dad is the same as you though, he's totally fell away from football in general outside Rangers and would struggle to name a St Johnstone player.
I get what you and others are saying. As long as the team and staff study and know what to look out for in opposing teams then im good with that.

I know nothing about any of them, Who even are they ? As long as the keeper picks the ball out the net minimum 3 times i ain't fussed who any of them are.

Apparently been working on playing 5-2-3, or probably more 3 2 2 2 1, so a different shape to most we have faced.

I really hope that’s true. I can’t imagine we’ve spent £3m on Itten just to throw him on as a big target man for the last fifteen minutes of every game.

As much as the result was comfortable in the end (thanks mainly to Alfie rediscovering his eye for goal), the first hour against St. Mirren was very reminiscent of games last season where the favoured formation simply wasn’t effective enough against sides looking to defend in numbers and frustrate.

I’d love to see us start with two up top tonight and really go for goals.

With Celtic out of action for a few games, we have an opportunity to put them under pressure and rack up both the points and the goal difference.

No more foot off the gas tonight please.

Back