Arsenal to pay Willian £220,000 a week despite staff cuts2

And its people like you that give the money to the tv companies to give it to Arsenal to use anyway they like.

The best laugh of the day was Ozil mentioning his family. That's the standard response from footballers when anyone questions their ridiculous salaries.

Ozil, Willian and Rashford should chip in and buy some sandwiches for those children that are starving in the UK. Im sure they could afford some cheap cola too from ASDA.
All the footballers you mentioned have done incredible amounts of work for charity and nice of you to assume I pay sky/BT a dime when I haven't gave any of them a cent in my existence

From a football perspective it doesn’t make sense either

if he was 27-28 then aye get 5 years out of him at top dollar but 32 Na better value out there
It makes sense when you see they’ve barely any money and the squad needs a major overhaul

This will give them an experienced EPL player who’s established and gives Saka and Martinelli to learn off of and not burn them out

they did try to help by taking a pay cut but the club went ahead with job losses anyway.
You’re kidding? That’s ridiculous. If that’s true then that’s shocking and actually decent of the players. Arsenal were always the only “big” club in England I didn’t mind too much but they’ve went right down in my estimation.

Looks delighted!

EfYcHrFWsAExDBK

They've turned in to a right horrible club since they left Highbury.

Say the average salary of those 55 staff was £25k a year - that's £4m total for 3 years of their wage.

They can't afford that apparently, but CAN afford an extra £31m on top of that for ONE ageing player. Pricks.

Last edited:
All the footballers you mentioned have done incredible amounts of work for charity and nice of you to assume I pay sky/BT a dime when I haven't gave any of them a cent in my existence

"People like you" is what I said.

Anyway, lets not fall out over someone else's salary.

WATP

I'm sure they would if he went from Flamengo to Fluminense.

I get its about money, but youd think after 7 years at a club you'd show a little respect for the fans and at least move to a club in a different city. .
The vast majority of Chelsea fans thank Willian for his service and don’t care that he’s went to Arsenal.

Oh I don’t blame the player at all. The blame is with the club, though personally I don’t know how the current first team playing squad can watch that unfold and not offer to help.

He’s a good player, but at that age it’s not a player that’s going to turn things around for them. Despite parting ways with Wenger a few years ago now they still seem to be very much stuck in his shadow.

I believe Arsenal were the first EPL team to agree any sort of wage cut and the players who agreed did so on the provision that it would mean no job losses within the club. There's an interview with Hector Bellerin from a few months ago saying as much. They were then apparently seeking a meeting with the board to request answers as to why this happened despite the apparent agreement. Whether the anger is real or just for show remains to be seen but I feel the criticism directed at the players over this has been a bit harsh (perhaps with the exception of Ozil and the other 2 unnamed who didn't accept a cut).

My belief is the club saw places where they could justifiably trim some fat, as most businesses frequently do, but have tried to cover themselves with the covid reason which has now come back to bite them.

The figure of £220k a week comes from the Daily Mail and their "insiders" so I would be highly suspicious of that. Every other source leading up to this was barely half that so I'd suspect them of a bit of sensationalism here

Morally it’s disgusting especially with what has happened previously but to be honest it is hardly surprising.

£220k for a 32 yr old is just madness

My belief is the club saw places where they could justifiably trim some fat, as most businesses frequently do, but have tried to cover themselves with the covid reason which has now come back to bite them.

Im not sure how accurate this is (Man City seem low for instance), but I suppose it depends on how each club creatively report wages, but if this is true you can see why they might think they run a bit bloated.

Back in the day Arsenal were a well run club and seemed to act with dignity and respect. A very "traditional" club.

Modern day Arsenal seems to be a club with a collection of weirdo's who go about their business in a pretty wanky way - on and off the field.

The club seem to have lost quite a bit of their identity. I know some of their more old-school hardcore fans and they are very disillusioned.

On the whole, Arsenal are just a bit meh.
Back in the day no-one used a "word" like meh. Times change.

Playing devils advocate but the staff that are losing their jobs it might not be for finical reasons and yes it’s disgusting in this climate

Completely understand if it's catering/security for fans that aren't allowed in the stands but it still looks awful. For the sake of a few weeks or months for average Joe's wage they wouldn't miss it until fans are allowed back in.

Man Utd are loaded with debt, Arsenal aren't.

How are you defining debt here?

Kroenke owes ~600m from the takeover, Kroenke owns the stadium & Arsenal are still paying back the 200m loan on it (that was re-financed the other week) , Arsenal 'the club' are a subsidiary of his company so while they don't directly have any debt, they don't have any income either as the land,stadium,matchday,merch,commercial etc are all owned by other company's/subsidiarys of Kroenke & not by the actual club
He's got his fingers in every piece of the pie like fat mike to pay off the close to a billion He/Arsenal/ Arsenal Holdings plc are on the hook for

I thought most of the redundancies were from the scouting department and was planned for a while and wouldn't players wages be from a different budget than non playing staff?
Although Willians wages look obscene over the 3 years they will still have payed less than half of Pepes transfer fee

Seriously if i was an Arsenal fan i wouldn't go near the place after hearing of that package to any player after they had redundancies. Tell 's me that they don't give a flying for the ordinary working person.

Shouldn't be allowed. You cut jobs, you can't buy players should be the rule. Unfortunately nobody in charge gives two fucks about the people's game.

It's actually depressing tbh, and if Man City v PSG ends up the final of the CL I'd rather not watch it.

Fair enough I've had a bevvy so I probably will, but %^*& whatever game they are playing- i'd sooner watch the dundee derby than the shite down south.

32 and a three year contract at £220k a week is mental. Will probably have a decent year next year but not worth that money

Willian will earn an astonishing £220,000 a week at Arsenal after he completes his free transfer from Chelsea, with the contract expected to be signed off by Sunday.

Sportsmail can reveal a deal in principle has been agreed for some time and the 32-year-old Brazilian will be rewarded handsomely.

Willian’s basic weekly salary will be lower than at Chelsea, but once a huge signing-on fee is factored in — along with loyalty payments and other bonuses throughout the three-year contract’s duration — the staggering mark will be hit.

The vast sums involved raise questions after Arsenal’s announcement last week that they are proposing to make 55 members of staff redundant.

Insiders say Willian’s unveiling was put back because of the ‘poor optics’ if it had followed hot on the heels of the job-cuts statement. Arsenal deny that is the case.

Nevertheless, to commit to spending what could end up being around £35million on a veteran player shortly after the redundancy proposal is bound to go down badly. The deal is also set to feature an option for a fourth year.

Sources added that only an unexpected turn of events would stop the deal being concluded this weekend, meaning Willian — who won the Premier League twice in a glittering Chelsea spell — can shortly start training with his Arsenal team-mates ahead of the new campaign, which starts on September 12.

He would have got nowhere near that money at Chelsea,’ a source explained.

‘The signing-on fee reflects that it is a free transfer and if he sees out the duration it’s a great deal for him.’

That’s shocking , pretty disgraceful , £220 k pw is obscene in the present day, no wonder people are disillusioned with the premier league

A weak, negative culture prevails the club - even under wenger.

If anyone needed reminding that football at the top level is morally corrupt - here ya go

How are you defining debt here?

Kroenke owes ~600m from the takeover, Kroenke owns the stadium & Arsenal are still paying back the 200m loan on it (that was re-financed the other week) , Arsenal 'the club' are a subsidiary of his company so while they don't directly have any debt, they don't have any income either as the land,stadium,matchday,merch,commercial etc are all owned by other company's/subsidiarys of Kroenke & not by the actual club
He's got his fingers in every piece of the pie like fat mike to pay off the close to a billion He/Arsenal/ Arsenal Holdings plc are on the hook for

Loans and overdrafts... As a business they typically live within their means unlike others. Granted, that may change due to the pandemic.

They do carry bonds against the stadium build which are known entities running decades.

How that compares with Man Utd I don't know, it was a throw away comment as another poster thought I was talking about them rather than Arsenal.

The model of Arsenal Holdings Ltd seems to work and I think it is accepted that they're a well run "Club".

Last edited:
Are they streamlining their managerial structure or is it mainly about saving money?

The rumour doing the rounds on Twitter is that Edu looked into the Pepe transfer and didn't like what he found.

Supposedly an obscene amount of money paid to agents and people who 'helped with the transfer' compared to what Pepe and Lille received.

In all fairness this isn’t entirely Willians fault. If Arsenal are mad enough to offer him a silly deal then he’d be stupid not to take it. I think it was Seth Johnson that was offered double what he was prepared to accept - the story is he was going to ask for £20k and would accept £17.5k but the club offered him £35k. He knows this is his last big contract at the top level so why turn it down. It makes sense for him. He probably won’t have to relocate (bonus if he has a wife and kids) playing for a top team and the extras that brings. I can’t remember who said it but when you leave a club like Chelsea for a team like Brighton or Villa there is a marked difference in the quality of the facilities. I doubt Arsenal will be any worse off than what’s available at Chelsea. Moreover they have a newer stadium too.

The rumour doing the rounds on Twitter is that Edu looked into the Pepe transfer and didn't like what he found.

Supposedly an obscene amount of money paid to agents and people who 'helped with the transfer' compared to what Pepe and Lille received.

Don't think it was Edu. Arsenal hired a new non executive director called Tim Lewis who has links with the Kronkes from before. Apparently he's been reviewing the transfer business & other business done over the past year or 2 as there's a good few questionable decisions made at the club at management level, including the increasing influence that Raul's friend Kia Joorabchian was having over Arsenal's transfer deals.

Arsenal will dress it as wanting to streamline the decision making process at management level. Edu and Arteta will now look after the football side, which is probably good news as it means Arteta will have a bit more control over squad building now. Unai Emery spoke in the past about how he wanted Zaha & Partey for instance and got overruled & ended up with Pepe & Torriera.

Last edited:
Back