Morelos

Those who say he‘s been “awful” are full of crap and not worth discussing football with.

There are many levels between his best, his form this season and “awful”.

Some people just wont assess his performances objectively. Yet hilariously try and accuse those who say he has played “not bad” this year of being the ones lacking objectivity.

This place is a nut house.

Leverkusen, Livingston, St Johnstone he was rotten let’s not pretend otherwise.

Aberdeen and first half of St Mirren - okay. 30 mins of St Mirren second half good.

If the board are relying on the sale of Morelos to fund all our transfers including Roofe and itten then that is utterly poor on so many levels. The fact we went and bought Roofe and itten before Morelos was sold makes it even more bizzarre.
That’s a big if. I see Itten as a replacement for Kamberi and Roofe as anywhere across the front including the 3 behind the CF. Strength and depth were desperately needed creatively and from a CF perspective and that was before talk of Morelos going. That’s what they’ve gone out and done, nothing bizarre about that.

Those who say he‘s been “awful” are full of crap and not worth discussing football with.

There are many levels between his best, his form this season and “awful”.

Some people just wont assess his performances objectively. Yet hilariously try and accuse those who say he has played “not bad” this year of being the ones lacking objectivity.

This place is a nut house.

Strikers primarily will be judged on goals scored just as keepers will be judged on the saves they make.

From a goal scoring point of view Morelos has been very poor since the turn of the year and the fact he's been dropped over the last two games probably means the gaffer who sees him every day thinks the same.

Strikers primarily will be judged on goals scored just as keepers will be judged on the saves they make.

From a goal scoring point of view Morelos has been very poor since the turn of the year and the fact he's been dropped over the last two games probably means the gaffer who sees him every day thinks the same.
Since the start of this season his goal and assist numbers were very good.

He was dropped for his attitude in training, the manager specifically stated this.

The manager also subsequently stated his attitude improved a lot in the following week.

You seem reasonable in you assessment. It is the clowns claiming he has been “awful” that I have no time for. The ones performing the role of jilted ex lover.

In our first 4 league games he, along with Kent and Goldson, was one of the primary reasons we collected the points we did.

Last season he was outstanding. This season I would say he has been average or not bad. That’s very different to awful.

Its a false dichotomy the jilted ex’s are creating on here. There aren’t only 2 answers to how is a player performing; outstanding or awful. Otherwise match rating would be 1 or 10. There are many levels between outstanding and awful; very good, good, ok, average, mediocre, poor, awful and more in between. 9, 8, 7, 6 etc if you like. Morelos last year was like a 9/10. His games this season, in the league at least*, have been about 7/10. The jilted ex’s are going on like he’s be a 3/10. Or a 1 and awful in their “only 2 options“ world I guess.

We’d be ecstatic at some of our players if they could play at a 7/10 regularly and score goals and assist consistently. He was a landslide Motm on here in one game.

*I’m not getting hung up on the Leverkusen game like some as the whole team was so badly outgunned no one came out of that game with any credit and I don’t notice the jilted ex’s using this game to define anyone else’s entire season. It’s a lack of consistency again on their part.

For me the ideal scenario is Morelos buckles down and gives us another quality season and we use the loan market to bring in whatever new reinforcements we need.

Having Itten pushing him over the season for a starting slot should help bring out the best in him and keep his performances to the highest level.

If Morelos goes we have nobody in the squad who has proven they can put the ball in the back of the net regularly.

Last edited:
For me the ideal scenario is Morelos buckles down and gives us another quality season and we use the loan market to bring in whatever new reinforcements we need.

Having Itten and pushing him over the season for a starting slot should help bring out the best in him and keep his performances to the highest level.

If Morelos goes we have nobody in the squad who has proven they can put the ball in the back of the net regularly.
No chance, he has to go and go soon we can't afford him to stay it would hinder our progress, I would wager the players will be happy to see him away as well

No chance, he has to go and go soon we can't afford him to stay it would hinder our progress, I would wager the players will be happy to see him away as well

Not sure I agree with this. Never heard a bad word said about him by any of the players in fact quite the opposite.

In terms of him hindering our progress again fail to see how keeping one of our best players does that. We have a value and we are sticking to it and rightly so. If our value is not met then he stays it's that simple.

This is quite often overlooked, if Morelos goes then you would think we will bring in another striker. Itten might be that guy and I think it's safe to say Defoe will bang them in but his fitness is always an issue. Roofe has never been overly prolific but I think should be able to chip in as well.

Last edited:

He was dropped for his attitude in training, the manager specifically stated this.

The manager also subsequently stated his attitude improved a lot in the following week.

You seem reasonable in you assessment. It is the clowns claiming he has been “awful” that I have no time for. The ones performing the role of jilted ex lover.

In our first 4 league games he, along with Kent and Goldson, was one of the primary reasons we collected the points we did.

Last season he was outstanding. This season I would say he has been average or not bad. That’s very different to awful.

Its a false dichotomy the jilted ex’s are creating on here. There aren’t only 2 answers to how is a player performing; outstanding or awful. Otherwise match rating would be 1 or 10. There are many levels between outstanding and awful; very good, good, ok, average, mediocre, poor, awful and more in between. 9, 8, 7, 6 etc if you like. Morelos last year was like a 9/10. His games this season, in the league at least*, have been about 7/10. The jilted ex’s are going on like he’s be a 3/10. Or a 1 and awful in their “only 2 options“ world I guess.

We’d be ecstatic at some of our players if they could play at a 7/10 regularly and score goals and assist consistently. He was a landslide Motm on here in one game.

*I’m not getting hung up on the Leverkusen game like some as the whole team was so badly outgunned no one came out of that game with any credit and I don’t notice the jilted ex’s using this game to define anyone else’s entire season. It’s a lack of consistency again on their part.

Morelos has been 7/10 in league games this season?

If you really believe his performances against Livi, St Johnstone and the first half of St Mirren were 7/10 then I’d say you’re acting more like an obsessed lover as it was nowhere near 7/10.

I’ve always been a fan of Morelos and he’s paid his transfer fee back ten fold with the goals he’s scored in Europe but on the flip side he’s scored in something like 2 of his last 20 competitive games, that’s not good enough if we are serious about winning anything this season.

If he comes back all guns blazing after the break then fair play but if he’s still not scored or is dropped for the next few games we need to seriously look at moving him on imho.

This is quite often overlooked, if Morelos goes then you would think we will bring in another striker. Itten might be that guy and I think it's safe to say Defoe will bang them in but his fitness is always an issue. Roofe has never been overly prolific but I think should be able to chip in as well.

Absolutely mate! People seem to think that when Morelos goes we'll just sign another 30 goal a year striker as if it's an easy thing to do.

Roofe, Kent and Aribo will all contribute more this season but we needed that on top of Morelos last season. So them contributing more will mean nothing unless we still have someone filling in Morelos' contribution.

Morelos has been 7/10 in league games this season?

If you really believe his performances against Livi, St Johnstone and the first half of St Mirren were 7/10 then I’d say you’re acting more like an obsessed lover as it was nowhere near 7/10.

Morelos was fine in those games. The fact you are trying to split the St Mirren game into halfs to reinforce your point says plenty. He was motm in that game. Livi I will give you although most of the team could have the same levelled at them.

This has gone on too long IMO. I love him and his crazy attitude but if this continues it will cause (if it hasn't already) problems within the squad. The DOF needs to earn his pay on this and ship him out. If we don't get what we should, I believe his goals in the EL alone make him a £20m player, then we need to go heavy on the sell on element. Needs a conclusion

It’s an attacking goal threat from midfield we need. If Morelos’s exit means that happens I’m keen for him to go.

Morelos was fine in those games. The fact you are trying to split the St Mirren game into halfs to reinforce your point says plenty. He was motm in that game. Livi I will give you although most of the team could have the same levelled at them.

First half against St Mirren wasn’t great. The team weren’t mind you. Only the second half we upped our game.

St Johnstone the first half was utterly atrocious. Barisic thankfully scored the beauty which helped us settle a bit for the second half. Morelos was subbed at 60 mins so he didn’t have a great game against them.

Speculation is only that, speculation!!!!

until anything concrete happens Morelos remains a Rangers player and that’s a fact not speculation.

Ps. . I would love him to remain a Rangers player

I’ve always been a fan of Morelos and he’s paid his transfer fee back ten fold with the goals he’s scored in Europe but on the flip side he’s scored in something like 2 of his last 20 competitive games, that’s not good enough if we are serious about winning anything this season.

If he comes back all guns blazing after the break then fair play but if he’s still not scored or is dropped for the next few games we need to seriously look at moving him on imho.
Supports my view that you are reasoned in your views on this topic.

One thing I find odd, and not specifically you, but those who want to detract from Morelos is this “this year” cut off. It seems quite arbitrary.

People say he has been awful this year. But “this year” includes this season. When he has not been awful. Admittedly he was well below par in February. Basically around 5 weeks at the start of 2020. But it’s a tabloid-esque move to describe an entire year as being awful when it really refers to around a 5 week period early in the year. (On another note, I may need to go back and watch those games, if his games at the start of this season are the same “awful” as in the early part of the year he really wasn’t that bad - though his goals record was, anyway...).

So why this abritrary “this year“ cut off. That 5 week period was around 6 months ago and last season. Why does this cut off then not go to Dec, or Nov, which were also last season and over half a year ago?

Is that because it doesn’t fit the hyperbolic narrative of “he is awful“?
Considering he has been fine this season - in terms of on field performance- where is the relevance of February? All very weird to me.

Fwiw, I think he probably should and will go. I just don’t see the need to re-write the truth of his performances because he is leaving. Unless I am a jilted ex-lover.

English players always go for daft money down south because premiership teams need to have 8 homegrown players in their 25 man squad.

It beggars belief seeing guys from Brentford going for £33m and we can’t seem to shift an international striker with many goals in Europe and league football wherever he’s been

Whether we like it or not, the EPL clubs would rather gamble on a championship player than an SPL, despite the fact Morelos has done the business against teams in Europe that would beat Villa fairly comfortably.

Supports my view that you are reasoned in your views on this topic.

One thing I find odd, and not specifically you, but those who want to detract from Morelos is this “this year” cut off. It seems quite arbitrary.

People say he has been awful this year. But “this year” includes this season. When he has not been awful. Admittedly he was well below par in February. Basically around 5 weeks at the start of 2020. But it’s a tabloid-esque move to describe an entire year as being awful when it really refers to around a 5 week period early in the year. (On another note, I may need to go back and watch those games, if his games at the start of this season are the same “awful” as in the early part of the year he really wasn’t that bad - though his goals record was, anyway...).

So why this abritrary “this year“ cut off. That 5 week period was around 6 months ago and last season. Why does this cut off then not go to Dec, or Nov, which were also last season and over half a year ago?

Is that because it doesn’t fit the hyperbolic narrative of “he is awful“?
Considering he has been fine this season - in terms of on field performance- where is the relevance of February? All very weird to me.

Fwiw, I think he probably should and will go. I just don’t see the need to re-write the truth of his performances because he is leaving. Unless I am a jilted ex-lover.

First season with us under Pedro I won’t judge him because we were a shambles and he was a newcomer to a new country and still very young.

First season under Gerrard, good first half of the season, poor second half.

Last season under Gerrard, superb first half of the season, woeful from January onwards including returning home late from a visit home meaning we had no credible striker options for the cup game at Hearts.

This season barring Aberdeen away where he was okay, and 30 mins at home to St Mirren where he was good, he’s been average to rotten.

Throw in the disciplinary issues we’ve witnessed over his time with us, silly red cards, silly yellows leading to suspensions etc.

He’s not managed a full league campaign of consistency in his time with us. The most he’s managed is half a good season.

He’s won us some big games particularly in Europe where he deserves spades of praise. He was a joy to watch during last season up until 29 December. Was battering defences for fun and scoring goals.

But equally he’s been responsible for letting us down countless times with his discipline and almost cost us a Europa League spot in Gerrard first season due to utter stupidity yellow cards away to Ufa resulting in him being sent off after 30 mins. Also, the league cup final I think it’s fair to say he cost us that game with missed chances and the penalty.

That’s not rewriting history. It’s a summary of his time with us.

It beggars belief seeing guys from Brentford going for £33m and we can’t seem to shift an international striker with many goals in Europe and league football wherever he’s been

watkins has proven himself at the top end of the championship and counts as a home grown English player so comes with a premium.

what he have is a striker with awful discipline, poor attitude, tends to fade away second half of the season and although is an international has been in and out of Colombia squad not really making a positive impression

Villa Just signed striker Ollie Watkins for 28 mil from Brentford, who the feck is Ollie Watkins.
There is hope still we will get top cash for Alfie

what he have is a striker with awful discipline, poor attitude, tends to fade away second half of the season and although is an international has been in and out of Colombia squad not really making a positive impression

This assessment of Morelos sponsored by the Daily Record?

Not even the fiddleboard would have such a myopic all negative view of him. Roaster.

First season with us under Pedro I won’t judge him because we were a shambles and he was a newcomer to a new country and still very young.

First season under Gerrard, good first half of the season, poor second half.

Last season under Gerrard, superb first half of the season, woeful from January onwards including returning home late from a visit home meaning we had no credible striker options for the cup game at Hearts.

This season barring Aberdeen away where he was okay, and 30 mins at home to St Mirren where he was good, he’s been average to rotten.

Throw in the disciplinary issues we’ve witnessed over his time with us, silly red cards, silly yellows leading to suspensions etc.

He’s not managed a full league campaign of consistency in his time with us. The most he’s managed is half a good season.

He’s won us some big games particularly in Europe where he deserves spades of praise. He was a joy to watch during last season up until 29 December. Was battering defences for fun and scoring goals.

But equally he’s been responsible for letting us down countless times with his discipline and almost cost us a Europa League spot in Gerrard first season due to utter stupidity yellow cards away to Ufa resulting in him being sent off after 30 mins. Also, the league cup final I think it’s fair to say he cost us that game with missed chances and the penalty.

That’s not rewriting history. It’s a summary of his time with us.

So you single out Morelos, for collapse of second half of season, can we have your opinions on the rest of the squad for the same period.

The media have properly done a number on Morelos, look at replies from any fans of Clubs linked with him. He'll go to any other league and be lucky to get sent off in his first season.
Check Jack’s disciplinary stats at Aberdeen and Rangers.
Check Morelos disciplinary stats before Rangers and then in Scotland. Keep an eye on Morelos disciplinary stats when he moves on would be my recommendation.

So you single out Morelos, for collapse of second half of season, can we have your opinions on the rest of the squad for the same period.

This is a thread on Morelos hence why my post is about Morelos

For the record, the rest of the squad didn’t cover themselves in glory either. However, as mentioned this is about Morelos but your post is simply whataboutery to deflect valid criticism of Morelos.

Reactions: VMS
Check Jack’s disciplinary stats at Aberdeen and Rangers.
Check Morelos disciplinary stats before Rangers and then in Scotland. Keep an eye on Morelos disciplinary stats when he moves on would be my recommendation.

I agree that some refs have it in for him and get a hardon the minute he does something.

But he’s been here 3 years. He knows that yet still hasn’t wisened up to it.

Some of his bookings, others would get away with.

That said, a lot of his bookings and red cards have been deserved and some of them have been so petulant and ridiculous that it has been frustrating to watch. Equally there’s been games where he’s been very fortunate that he hasn’t been sent off.

Our own manager has went on record and mentioned his discipline before so is Gerrard being accused of being influenced by the media?

The media are harsh on him but ultimately they don’t force him to be silly on the park with off the ball nonsense or shouting at refs and acting like a spoiled child.

The media have properly done a number on Morelos, look at replies from any fans of Clubs linked with him. He'll go to any other league and be lucky to get sent off in his first season.

If there ever was a misleading statistic, it is Morelos red cards, the overwhelming for 2 yellows issued in Scotland by refs who allow the same offences to go unpunished every week. Alfie is a marked man in this backwater.

If there ever was a misleading statistic, it is Morelos red cards, the overwhelming for 2 yellows issued in Scotland by refs who allow the same offences to go unpunished every week. Alfie is a marked man in this backwater.
When you see McKenna and other ogres drop at his feet like he's some giant Slayer it's pitiful.
SPL stats
9 yellows, 0 reds his first season.
10 Yellows, 4 reds his second.
5 yellows, 1 red in his third.
If you looked at those Yellows you would probably say a few of them weren't yellows it's crazy.

Gerrard had us on fire the first half of his debut season, they shat it and pointed fingers to our most dangerous player.

Then play him
He's our best striker and by some distance.

If you’re speaking of the Morelos last season prior to 29 December, you may have a point although it’s hard to say without seeing Roofe and Itten bedded in and up to full speed.

If it’s the Morelos since 30 December, you’re wrong.

This is a thread on Morelos hence why my post is about Morelos

For the record, the rest of the squad didn’t cover themselves in glory either. However, as mentioned this is about Morelos but your post is simply whataboutery to deflect valid criticism of Morelos.
No it’s about the service to a lone striker called Morelos. During the period you have given he has been booked on numerous occasions where other players from various clubs have not.
He got a goal chopped off at Killie which turned a win into a defeat.
Yes he has a passion for the game and shows his emotions, which Scottish referees see as offensive (personally I think that’s down to the shirt he wears at times).
He has not had a bad tackle in his whole Rangers career deserving of a red card.
I just find it astonishing that any Rangers fan can be so dismissive of what Morelos brought to our team and ultimately cast up his indiscipline as a reason, especially when you take a look closely at some of the cards that he accumulated.
Blaming him for Rangers not winning the LC, that was solely down to a referee to along with his assistant never gave a fairly blatant offside winner.

When you see McKenna and other ogres drop at his feet like he's some giant Slayer it's pitiful.
SPL stats
9 yellows, 0 reds his first season.
10 Yellows, 4 reds his second.
5 yellows, 1 red in his third.
If you looked at those Yellows you would probably say a few of them weren't yellows it's crazy.

Gerrard had us on fire the first half of his debut season, they shat it and pointed fingers to our most dangerous player.

Week after week, hammerthrowers get away with murder in Scotland, and none of them will have the amount of red cards dished out to Alfie. This is no accident either.

This assessment of Morelos sponsored by the Daily Record?

Not even the fiddleboard would have such a myopic all negative view of him. Roaster.

roaster? Get a grip

what exactly did I say they was untrue

countless red cards/suspensions
Has a habit of taking the huff
His goal return second half of the season isn’t great and never scored v them

no doubt you’ll reply about the media etc and he is unfairly refd to an extent but there is no denying the amount of stupid incidents he has been involved in, including some that he’s somehow managed to escape punishment for

love the guy and he has so much potential but we are waiting on bids that may never arrive because of the negative aspects of his game

Back