Daniel Johnson of Preston

Really?. Fair enough mate your the most knowledgeable, is the play off aspirations not shared by the owner?.

Short answer is no.

Hemmings is clearly a very shrewd businessman as you don't become a billionaire if you're stupid but his motives for owning the Club & the way he runs it are very confusing to say the least.

Short answer is no.

Hemmings is clearly a very shrewd businessman as you don't become a billionaire if you're stupid but his motives for owning the Club & the way he runs it are very confusing to say the least.
Feel for you lads, best of luck for the season a head.

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2020/september/club-update-transfer-speculation/

Ordinarily we don’t comment on transfer speculation, however, the last few days have been frustrating as it would appear that a number of clubs are attempting to do their bidding through the press and social media.

Some of the so called ‘informed’ comments have claimed that transfer fees have been agreed between us and at least one other club for named players.

At the time of writing this statement no bids for any of our players have been agreed. Any approaches that have been made have been underwhelming in both quantum and payment timescales.

We have always accepted that buying and selling players is a normal part of our business, but at the right price. Some of the so called ‘informed’ comments on social media are not only unhelpful, but frankly not true.

We attempt to conduct our transfer dealings club to club and only announce a deal once all parties have agreed. We have made bids for a number of players this summer but as deals were not finalised we have refrained from confirming the identity of potential targets. This will remain to be our approach.

If and when there is anything definitive to say for either incomings or sales we will make a factual statement at that time.

Peter Ridsdale
Owner's Representative

Why tho? Why does every thread need to be dragged off in a tangent? Shouldn't you know better?

Sorry? If your still on the night shift stop posting until you’ve had some sleep, either that or keep going and I’ll ban you for talking nonsense, Barker came up as a point of conversation in comparison to Johnson.

Looks plausible, offer a derisory figure and if they accept great, if they don’t then that distracts the media.
See this idea that every fan base gets about distracting the media its hilarious. Every fan of every club revels in "the media dont have a clue stuff". Do you really think Ross Wilson is like "let's bid on this guy to distract the daily record?"

Sorry? If your still on the night shift stop posting until you’ve had some sleep, either that or keep going and I’ll ban you for talking nonsense, Barker came up as a point of conversation in comparison to Johnson.
Last night was my last for 4 days.... getting in day shift mode. Ban me for what? Wondering why Barker is a talking point here on a potential new signing?

See this idea that every fan base gets about distracting the media its hilarious. Every fan of every club revels in "the media dont have a clue stuff". Do you really think Ross Wilson is like "let's bid on this guy to distract the daily record?"
Personally?. No, I don’t. Was merely suggesting a hypothetical scenario in relation to previous comments.

Last night was my last for 4 days.... getting in day shift mode. Ban me for what? Wondering why Barker is a talking point here on a potential new signing?

Barker came up as a comparison, you struggling to comprehend that? You accused me of taking the thread away on a tangent when I was responding to others.

Personally?. No, I don’t. Was merely suggesting a hypothetical scenario in relation to previous comments.
Ha no worries. I just replied to someone saying about the distraction. We didnt distract anyone for any of our previous deals under Wilson, I dont see now why we would need to use a strategy like that. For me it boils down to this idea of "oh so impressive rangers managed to keep the media in the dark" and for it to get one up on the media. Wilson clearly can get business done quietly which is good, but I couldnt care less about the media.

Ha no worries. I just replied to someone saying about the distraction. We didnt distract anyone for any of our previous deals under Wilson, I dont see now why we would need to use a strategy like that. For me it boils down to this idea of "oh so impressive Rangers managed to keep the media in the dark" and for it to get one up on the media. Wilson clearly can get business done quietly which is good, but I couldnt care less about the media.
I agree, it’s incredibly refreshing.

Their owner seems to be quite a tight arse/panic merchant when it comes to finances. I reckon we will leave this to stew for a days or even weeks then come back in.

Seemingly they need the money for a striker, can’t believe they are playing the bold Jayden Stockley up front!.

Spot on. A billionaire owner who's happy just to stay afloat for as little as possible.
Jayden Stockley (bought on the cheap from Exeter) is one of only three strikers we have. The others are Louis Moult and a small Irishman who falls over alot (bought on the cheap from Cork City)

And dick heads on the PNE forum complain that we didn't get in the playoffs !!

Barker came up as a comparison, you struggling to comprehend that? You accused me of taking the thread away on a tangent when I was responding to others.
I didn't accuse you of anything, I asked why he was being talked about. There has to be a tonne of threads regarding Barker. Anyway, even this is derailing the thread. I'd rather talk about what Daniel may or may not bring should he sign.

I agree, it’s incredibly refreshing.
Also some are pointing out that this isnt happening because it leaked, so far all deals have been done with the agent and selling club clearly in some way not speaking to the media. Inevitably we will find a club, potentially like Preston, leak to the media to inform their fans and the press to get bids up. Could you imagine we sold Barisic without a peep as a warning?o_O

Tbf if I was any championship chairman I would also be shitting myself about the finances. Some clubs lose something like £30m a season - hardly sustainable

Looking at DJ's stats, he has a good goalscoring record until Alex Neil becomes boss. His goalscoring drops considerably for over a year.

He then picks up again from roughly 18 months ago and becomes a much more consistent player scoring quite freely again.

It looks to me that he was not being played in his best position for the first half of AN's tenure.

Could any PNE fans confirm this?

We need more goals from midfield and he fits the bill.

Kamara is class but very rarely even has a shot at goal. Same as Jack.

Arfield was excellent when he came on at the weekend, few attempts at goal and a quality finish. That's what we need more of

If £2m is way short of what they are looking for I don’t see this happening unless the player pushes for the move.

Looking at DJ's stats, he has a good goalscoring record until Alex Neil becomes boss. His goalscoring drops considerably for over a year.

He then picks up again from roughly 18 months ago and becomes a much more consistent player scoring quite freely again.

It looks to me that he was not being played in his best position for the first half of AN's tenure.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

As I said before AN has a habit of playing players out of position best demonstrated on Saturday when he played a midfielder at RB when there was a dedicated RB on the bench.

The goal which ultimately won the game came down that side as well.

Ordinarily we don’t comment on transfer speculation, however, the last few days have been frustrating as it would appear that a number of clubs are attempting to do their bidding through the press and social media.

Some of the so called ‘informed’ comments have claimed that transfer fees have been agreed between us and at least one other club for named players.

At the time of writing this statement no bids for any of our players have been agreed. Any approaches that have been made have been underwhelming in both quantum and payment timescales.

We have always accepted that buying and selling players is a normal part of our business, but at the right price. Some of the so called ‘informed’ comments on social media are not only unhelpful, but frankly not true.

We attempt to conduct our transfer dealings club to club and only announce a deal once all parties have agreed. We have made bids for a number of players this summer but as deals were not finalised we have refrained from confirming the identity of potential targets. This will remain to be our approach.

If and when there is anything definitive to say for either incomings or sales we will make a factual statement at that time.

Peter Ridsdale
Owner's Representative
Don't think we will be too happy at them making a statement like that. We have done %^*& all in the media, it was literally an English journo that said the deals done.

Risdale, there's a blast from the past !!

Almost put Leeds out of business -

"by the time Ridsdale stepped down in March 2003, Leeds were £103 million in debt and failing on the field."

I think he lost his way a bit under Neill. He was in and out of the side a bit and played in too deeper role many times. He started really well last season and got a few goals which got the fans back on side a bit. I get the impression he's not Neill's first choice in midfield, but the lack of form, suspensions, and general shitness of other players meant that he's played a bit more often.
My honest opinion is that he's OK with the odd MOM performance now and then

Peter Ridsdale
Owner's Representative

So they’re saying that Rangers have been feeding information to local Preston journalists?

Right, okay then.

Tbf if I was any championship chairman I would also be shitting myself about the finances. Some clubs lose something like £30m a season - hardly sustainable

We keep hearing about big spending Championship clubs are on the brink, but they are still there and still spending !

My take on that statement is, it’s nothing more than a reassurance to their fans that they tried all they could, an attempt to make it look like we unsettled the player and then tries to reassure them that they will get signings

We keep hearing about big spending Championship clubs are on the brink, but they are still there and still spending !
Aye but realistically how long can it continue? Look at Wigan, owner says they will plug the gap then they %^*& off. It can only continue as long as an owner funds the gap. Much like our board are doing here. We have a plan to regain financial sustainability. The only club I see with a sustainable model is Brentford.

Peter Ridsdale
Owner's Representative
Were Bournemouth not linked to a player in a sunday paper too? Might not be about us.

Aye but realistically how long can it continue? Look at Wigan, owner says they will plug the gap then they %^*& off. It can only continue as long as an owner funds the gap. Much like our board are doing here. We have a plan to regain financial sustainability. The only club I see with a sustainable model is Brentford.
If one of the bigger clubs (Wednesday, Derby, Middlesbrough, Stoke etc) go under, then the floodgates may open. Blackburn have a debt to their Indian owners of over £150m and yet Monkeys Napper is still buying players. It can't go on surely

Well that was fucking dreadful.

Some beautiful football and top finishing.

The music would make you pray for deafness to befall you though.
Not even watched it I know it’s some daft EDM pish or some grime nonsense. Honestly not sure why they need music at all, or at least make it listenable.

EDIT: that is just my old man opinion, apologies if it offends anyone :))

Last edited:
I think Johnston is just one target on a list of hundreds who we have made contact with his club/representatives.

Reads to me (like Zungu) he's been made aware of the interest, fancied the move and started leaking stuff to the media to try force it through.

I reckon he's just one target from a long list. If he has leaked stuff to the media then that won't sit well with Rangers and has probably lowered the chances of the move.

I live down here in Lancashire. I've asked a couple of people (Blackburn ST holders) who have seen a decent amount of him.

Consensus is generally that he's "decent" but would be no more than a squad player. Given they have huge delusions of grandeur, that doesn't bode well.
When everybody is fit Aribo Jack Hagi Davis Kammara who would Johnson replace?

Latest posts

Back