Sasa or Borna?

Left back?

• Papac

Votes: 156 26.6%
  • Barisic

Votes: 431 73.4%

• Total voters

dh1963

Following on from the Tav v Hutton poll, this one is about the other full back position.

Sasa Papac

Regular, dependable and ultra consistent. A rock defensively. Key man in multiple trophy wins and the run to a European final.

Versus

Borna Barisic

Athletic, quick, equally comfortable defending and attacking. Brilliant delivery into the box and creates goals. Good enough to be the left back for the World Cup runners up.

Different kinds of full back, but if you could had to pick one for your Rangers team, who gets your vote?

It really shouldn’t be a contest if Borna sticks around for another season.

Far better footballer with a significant end product.

Papac was a dependable full back who holds a far higher status amongst some sections of the support than his contribution merits for me.

Papac is and was more solid to allow other players to venture forward.

Borna is fukking unbelievable in his deliveries, set plays and attacking prowess.

Both great but both different types.

I'll go Papac, I am sure Crocker misses his one liners about Papac being PLGs last remaining signing at Ibrox.

Papac for me at the moment, although Borna could well overtake him in the coming seasons. I don’t think Sasa was ever less than a 7/10 for Rangers, a very good player.

Defensively Papac however LB are nowadays judged in a different way(Attacking) and for me Barisic is miles better at that, we don’t realise how good a player Barisic actually is

Same answers, in reverse, as the other thread.

Best player on their best day? Borna

Best player over their career? Sasa, so far (although I think that will change)

Best player for Rangers? Sasa, so far (although I think that will change)
This. Borna looks like he could turn into the better player for us. He’s technically more than capable. But winning trophies matters. Success matters. When Borna gets close to the number of medals Papac has with us, we can revisit the question IMO.

The only think missing for Borna is a trophy and he will become one of the best left backs to play for us In my lifetime

Last edited:
Sasa Papac for me, consistent, dependable and solid.

Borna Barisic is playing excellent at the moment and is en vogue, that's for sure. Note: in his international career, he never made the WC squad.

Both have their merits, that's for sure.

Fickle fans and short memories here IMO.

A year ago Borna was a dud.

Sasa won 3 leagues, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups with us....Borna...nothing so far.

I think Borna is a great attacking fullback but he's far from a Sasa Papac as yet.

With reality goggles on, Sasa was easily a better defender.

Sasa won 3 leagues, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups with us....Borna...nothing so far.

I think Borna is a great attacking fullback but he's far from a Sasa Papac as yet.

Ooooooft. Now there's a cat amongst the flip flopping pigeons. :D :D:D

What I wouldn’t give for the two fighting for the LB spot making eachother even better

Sasa was excellent for us and an all round great guy. However, Barasic as miles ahead as a player. Wouldn't mind having the Sasa Papac we had with us as a back-up just now though.

Papac took us to the UEFA Cup final. In my view he was the most important defender in that run. The guy is a club legend and always will be.

Borna is a better footballer but he has a lot to achieve before he can be mentioned in the same breath.

Barisic is a better footballer. Not really much doubt about it IMO.

Borna Barisic is everything you want in a fullback these days.

That said, I do still remember him daydreaming and wandering off the pitch against St Johnstone about 18mths ago. I’d have sold him for a quid after that - he looked completely overawed by everything at Rangers at that point.

There is a lot to be said for giving players time to settle in!!

Barisic is a much better player ability wise.

Would absolutely love for Barisic to stick around as long as Papac did.

None of this current squad can compare themselves to guys like Papac until they’ve got winners medals around their neck.

To be fair I’m sure they would agree with that.

I despair at times.

Anyone that has one small, iota of knowledge regarding football knows what Sasa Papac contributed to multiple Rangers Championship winning teams including the one that reached a UEFA final.

It's not about footballing technique..."Oh Borna is a better footballer"...Carlos Pena was a better "footballer" than John Greig ffs, given that argument. Give it a rest. That means nothing.

It's how he contributed to the team, in defence and attack, in spirit and personality. Sasa is miles ahead of Borna with a team arguably no better than what we have now and was a winner.

Borna, for all his lovely crossing, has a long way to go to be compared to Sasa.

Sasa was a cult hero at us and will always have that status

Its overlooked that he spent the majority of his Rangers career playing out of his natural position but Borna has all the tools to be genuinely top class.

Hear, hear.

Borna has the potential to go on and surpass Papac but he’s not done it yet and he might not be here long enough to do so either.

Ok, I said I wouldn't but I'm genuinely curious from one Gers fan to another, keeping it friendly.

Why exactly is Borna a better player?

In my opinion borna gets forward . Has more pace than sasa did. Can whip a good cross and proved multiple times he can ping a free kick.

Wasn’t too long ago that papac played for us but in that time the game had changed a lot and your LB and RB need to be seen to get forward more now.

Papac didn’t have that pace Borna does and if you swapped players and Papac played now he wouldn’t be able to do what borna currently does. But Borna could do a Papac role of 2008.

that’s not me saying Papac was bad. Loved the guy and he done well for us.

Just my opinion.

Barisic is of course the better footballer. But they are completely different left backs in completely different systems. Like comparing Super Ally and Alfie because they’re both strikers.

Sasa is a legend. Borna will be a legend.

In the current era, its easily Barasic. Papac was a big player for us for years, but he was a defender. Since half the teams we line up against domestically park the bus to the extreme, the left and right back are now attackers. We saw the difference when Flannigan came in for Tav least season, it doesn't work.

There is no comparison on that front, Barisic is one of the best attacking full backs we've ever had. He's technically excellent and the best crosser of a ball in the league. He picks player out with his delivery, with whipped in crosses, balls between the defence and goalie, and precision cut backs long and short.

Loved Sasa, but Borna wins, he's the real deal, at any level.

In my opinion borna gets forward . Has more pace than sasa did. Can whip a good cross and proved multiple times he can ping a free kick.

Wasn’t too long ago that papac played for us but in that time the game had changed a lot and your LB and RB need to be seen to get forward more now.

Papac didn’t have that pace Borna does and if you swapped players and Papac played now he wouldn’t be able to do what borna currently does. But Borna could do a Papac role of 2008.

that’s not me saying Papac was bad. Loved the guy and he done well for us.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for that. Good measured opinion.

What I'd say is....Sasa spent twice the time at Rangers as Borna has and has scored twice the amount of goals...no free-kicks unlike Borna. Equal there then.

You're totally correct in that the game's evolved but I'd actually cite Sasa Papac as one of the first to be involved in that.

Let's not forget, he was a Centre-Half, recruited by a half-assed manager who disappeared soon into his tenure and then became a mainstay at left-back under one if not, our greatest manager ever.

Can you ever remember him having a bad game?

I only really recall him knocking himself out trying to prevent a goal vs them against the post and otherwise being a rock solid defender that we won multiple trophies with.

There's multiple youtube vids showing Papac crossing the ball from the left for us to score.

He won 8 trophies with us.

Barasic has won zero.

Let's get our perspective in proper place please.

When Barasic is here for a significant amount of time, maybe 3 Seasons then as Rangers players they could be compared. Barasic us the better left back but Papac converted to that position very well and was a great success so at the moment Papac is ahead of Barasic,imo

Thanks for that. Good measured opinion.

What I'd say is....Sasa spent twice the time at Rangers as Borna has and has scored twice the amount of goals...no free-kicks unlike Borna. Equal there then.

You're totally correct in that the game's evolved but I'd actually cite Sasa Papac as one of the first to be involved in that.

Let's not forget, he was a Centre-Half, recruited by a half-assed manager who disappeared soon into his tenure and then became a mainstay at left-back under one if not, our greatest manager ever.

Can you ever remember him having a bad game?

I only really recall him knocking himself out trying to prevent a goal vs them against the post and otherwise being a rock solid defender that we won multiple trophies with.

There's multiple youtube vids showing Papac crossing the ball from the left for us to score.

He won 8 trophies with us.

Barasic has won zero.

Let's get our perspective in proper place please.

The trophies fact is a bit unfair. Considering he’s played ina lesser strength team .

papac in his time had team mates the likes of fergie, Thomson, Davis - in his prime, Carlos cuellar, boyd scoring for fun to name a few.

If borna was in that team he would have won trophies too.

Sasa Papac was a centre back untill Walter Smith played him at left back, where he played in a flat back four. For me he was defensively solid very reliable.
Borna is an attacking full back and Papac played out of position to great effect but you cant compare the two.

Back