Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was the better Ronaldo?

Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was better?

• Brazilian Ronaldo

Votes: 370 54.7%
  • Portuguese Ronaldo

Votes: 308 45.5%

• Total voters

HandsomeHead

I’m interested to see how this one goes given the number of folk on here that seem to believe Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player on the planet at present.

CR7 has achieved an insane amount, R9 never won the champions league, but I have to be honest , I prefer the real Ronaldo , he was a phenomenon , utterly incredible.

His record, his entire play , if he wasn't injured so badly he would be the best ever , you saw how Brazil fell to pieces in 98 when he was injured .

Tricky but having seen R9, CR7 and messi all running at defenders, the last one you would want to face would be R9. He was frighteningly good!

CR7 the GOAT though as his records and achievements speak for themselves ahead of anybody else.

CR7 has achieved an insane amount, R9 never won the champions league, but I have to be honest , I prefer the real Ronaldo , he was a phenomenon , utterly incredible.

His record, his entire play , if he wasn't injured so badly he would be the best ever , you saw how Brazil fell to pieces in 98 when he was injured .

His burst of speed was unmatched in his prime. R9 all the way

The fashionable answer would be Brazilian.

The only correct answer is Cristiano though, just look at the relative records the guy is an absolute colossus of the game.

In terms of what though? Goals scored?

Surely when we determine the best player of all time (or in this case just the best player called Ronaldo) it has to come down to more than the number of times you stuck the ball in the back of the net?

His burst of speed was unmatched in his prime. R9 all the way

Look at how many teams R9 played for , his record of games to goals, the amount of leagues he played , the top level teams he was at then add in his international record as well, how anyone could dismiss him is ridiculous !
He is my favourite ever by a long chalk .

I think its closer than some folk would have you believe. But Cristiano for me as I grew up watching him week in week out. I loved Ronaldo at the 2002 World Cup but that was all I saw of him at close to his peak. However I would chose to watch a fully fit Brazilian Ronaldo first over Cristiano.

Brazilian Ronaldo - 2 World Cups, 2 Copa America's and 3 World Player of the year awards. A whole load of cups in Europe but no Champions League and only 1 league title outside of Brazil (2 in Brazil).

Cristiano - 1 Euros, 5 Champions Leagues, 7 League titles and 5 World Player of the Year awards.

I think its closer than some folk would have you believe. But Cristiano for me as I grew up watching him week in week out. I loved Ronaldo at the 2002 World Cup but that was all I saw of him at close to his peak. However I would chose to watch a fully fit Brazilian Ronaldo first over Cristiano.

Brazilian Ronaldo - 2 World Cups, 2 Copa America's and 3 World Player of the year awards. A whole load of cups in Europe but no Champions League and only 1 league title outside of Brazil (2 in Brazil).

Cristiano - 1 Euros, 5 Champions Leagues, 7 League titles and 5 World Player of the Year awards.

Also 2nd all time on the World Cup top goalscorer charts from only 3 World Cups (94 doesn't count).

CR7 the GOAT though as his records and achievements speak for themselves ahead of anybody else.

The Brazilian has a World Cup winners medal and until he was surpassed by Klosse was the all time leading goalscorer in the history of that tournament.

Doesn’t that speak for itself when compared with his Portuguese counterpart?

Ronaldo (as opposed to Cristiano Ronaldo - he doesn’t get to use the moniker) was everything I want to see in a footballer. The combination of strength, skill and speed in his prime was otherworldly.

Couldn’t care less about records or trophies. If I had the choice to watch both at their peak I’d choose Ronaldo every single time.

The Brazilian has a World Cup winners medal and until he was surpassed by Klosse was the all time leading goalscorer in the history of that tournament.

Doesn’t that speak for itself when compared with his Portuguese counterpart?
he has two World Cup winners medals. It’s a question I can’t answer the same each time I’d be asked.

Anyone saying R9 is saying it through either nostalgia or just thinking Cristiano is a dick, which I also think he is. But he is superior tbh.

I think Cristiano Ronaldo is the better player... But its not particularly fair to compare them directly as they are both greats in different ways.

Brazilian Ronaldo is THE Ronaldo though, so he got my vote for that alone.

Cristiano is obviously the better all round player, with more honours at a higher level and sustained his numbers over the longer period.

But I liked Fat Ronaldo more, and he was unstoppable on his day and a lot more likeable than CR7. Also, he was an enormous, strong, fast unit of a centre forward that banged in a goal almost every game, literally every football fan's dream.

Ronaldo was THE undisputed best player in the world for large parts of his career, so people look back on him a lot more fondly than they will CR7, who has always been in Messi's shadow.

The right answer is obviously CR7, but I suspect most people who were around when they saw him play will say the original Brazilian Ronaldo.

Longevity obviously cr7 Ronaldo but in terms of best player at peak of their powers had to be Brazilian Ronaldo for me absolutely unplayable.
He was still world class even with his dodgy knees

The Portuguese Roanldo won more than the Brazilian therefore he's the better player?

Nonsense! Football is full of players who never won as much as their talents deserved.

R9 is one of those players. If your comparing on ability, he was faster, stronger, more skillful and a better finisher than CR7.

Still amazing how little R9 won after Brazil won the World Cup, staggering really. Ronaldinho the key in that to a degree.

At their absolute peak it’s Brazilian Ronaldo, much the same in the Messi/Maradona debate, one has had a far better and more consistent career, but in their prime Maradona was better and Brazilian Ronaldo was better too.

Brazil Ronaldo played Man Unt off the pitch back in the late 1990's but CR7 has done that to a few teams over a longer spell so for me both up there but CR7 wins hands down for me

weird how messi gets bashed for no winning the world cup as prove that he's not as good as maradona, yet cr7 fanboys are bigging up his league and champions league medals as prove that he's better than r9, yet r9 has 2 world cup winners medals, in his prime and before his injuries the real ronaldo was better than peak cr7 and messi, he could do what those 2 does but does it better, in the days when defenders can still put a proper tackle in, so anyone saying cr7 is the better player are wrong

I'm going with Cristiano Ronaldo. Brazillian Ronaldo was a wonderful, wonderful player but just look at CR7's career and what he has won. The only thing missing is a World Cup but that's not really down to him.

Back