Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was the better Ronaldo?

Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was better?

• Brazilian Ronaldo

Votes: 370 54.7%
  • Portuguese Ronaldo

Votes: 308 45.5%

• Total voters
don't lie I said he won 2 winners medals , aye so ronaldo had 1 good game in the euros whoopee dooo

No lies, it’s all what you’ve said in the thread. Think initially you thought Ronaldo had played at USA 94 but missed the final. Cheers anyway.

Natural abilty = R9. Natural ability doesn't makes you the best in itself. CR11 is one of the finest and most determined athletes that you'll ever see. This has resulted in higher results outputs over a sustained period of time. With this in mind, gotta go for CR11

CR7 has achieved an insane amount, R9 never won the champions league, but I have to be honest , I prefer the real Ronaldo , he was a phenomenon , utterly incredible.

His record, his entire play , if he wasn't injured so badly he would be the best ever , you saw how Brazil fell to pieces in 98 when he was injured .
Quick for a big unit of a guy and was great to watch even wi the dodgy barnet. :D

Really interesting debate.

I'm lucky to be just about old enough to remember Ronaldo circa 97/98 before the bad knee injuries and he was genuinely a freak of nature. He had EVERYTHING.

Obviously in terms of consistency over a longer period of time, you can't really look past CR7, but ability wise comparing both at their absolute peak? it's a close one.

Depends what you're asking.

Better footballer? Brazilian.

Better career? Not even a question, Cristiano.

Side point, think 30% or something daft of R9’s goals came from the double step over and taking it past the keeper. Ridiculous figures.

Never played a single minute in 94 mind. Many would say Portugal winning France 2016 was a bigger achievement than Brazil winning Japan 2002, certainly a bigger surprise.

No they wouldn't.

Brazil barely even qualified, they looked woeful throughout qualification without Ronaldo. He returned, scored in all but one game and got both in the final.

Cristiano never even played in the Euros final that Portugal won.

No they wouldn't.

Brazil barely even qualified, they looked woeful throughout qualification without Ronaldo. He returned scored in all but one game and the double in the final.

Cristiano never even played in the Euros final that Portugal won.

Can’t be arsed repeating what I’ve already wrote so read through if you want to see.

Brazil were favs for that World Cup along with France, like I’ve said at the Semi Final point they were 4/6. Portugal were outsiders for the Euros. Fair dos if you think Brazil winning that World Cup was a bigger surprise/achievement than Portugal winning the Euros.

Wish folk would stop focusing on Ronaldo never playing the full final as well, like it’s some clued up comment and he played no part in getting them there. He did play and came off early injured so that’s factually wrong what you’ve said as well.

I don't care about the stats etc. Most successful would be Cristiano.

However watching both of them the better player at their peak imo would be R9. One of my favourite players growing up. Playing against better defenders back then. World class footballers spread out over various teams and not just the top 3 or 4 teams.

Can’t be arsed repeating what I’ve already wrote so read through if you want to see.

Brazil were favs for that World Cup, like I’ve said at the Semi Final point they were 4/6. Portugal were outsiders for it. Fair dos if you think Brazil winning that World Cup was a bigger surprise/achievement than Portugal winning the Euros.

Brazil started that tournament at 8/1.

They only became favourites later in the tournament because of Ronaldo. Without him it was their worst ever qualifying campaign and they only scraped qualification on the final day.

Better footballer? Brazilian.

Better career? Not even a question, Cristiano.
[/QUOTE]

Better career means f... ALL! David Beckham had a better career than Paul Gascoigne

They only became favourites later in the tournament because of Ronaldo. Without him it was their worst ever qualifying campaign and they only scraped qualification on the final day.

I remember it as France about 5/1 and Brazil 7/1. 6 and 2 3s.

Portugal 25s area in 2016?

I updated the post before you replied, feel free to reply to that as well.

Disagree about scraping qualification, granted last day but needed a lot to go wrong didn’t it - surely they would be strongly fancied to beat Venezuela at home and indeed Australia in a 2 leg play off.

Last edited:
Brazilian Ronaldo was just frightening on his day, never seen a player with that turn of pace and power at the same time.

As much as it pains me though, Cristiano Ronaldo has had the better career and probably is the better all round player due to the hard work he’s put into his game/physique etc.

Brazilian Ronaldo is the more iconic of the two but.

Feel that CR always gets a harder time when it comes to these debates, people seem to try throw shade on stats.

Yes hes scored a barrel load against sh1te international teams, but he is also in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for most goals scored in a Champions League season, and spearheaded a team that won three CL's on the trot (not been done since the 70's). I've heard the Champions League is a decent level.

He also scored 46 league goals to help Real win the league in 2012 against, in my opinion, one of the best footballing teams ever (Barca 08-12).

There is no wrong answer and there is probably a generational element to it, I would hazard a guess that most people 30+ will say R9 and under 30's like myself would be more likely to say CR7.

CR7 at Man Utd in the 07/08 season was probably when i started to really tune into football and he was unplayable that year out on the LW.

I’m interested to see how this one goes given the number of folk on here that seem to believe Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player on the planet at present.
On sheer ability, the Original Ronaldo was one of the best ever.
Based on his career and achievements, work rate and sheer will to win - its got to be Ronaldo mk2.

R9 before his knee injury was the best I’ve ever seen, better than Pele & Maradona. Post knee injury he was still great but not at the same level. You need to admire CR7’s dedication & consistency though, I reckon he’ll still be playing at a very high level into his 40’s.

R9 can do things with the ball that R7 could only dream of, R9 V CR7 on their day.. R9 wins it and its not even close, but talking about consistency, longevity, goals to games ratio and trophies won is key here as well and this is where CR7 runs away with it.

I remember it as France about 5/1 and Brazil 7/1. 6 and 2 3s.

Portugal 25s area in 2016?

I updated the post before you replied, feel free to reply to that as well.

Disagree about scraping qualification, granted last day but needed a lot to go wrong didn’t it - surely they would be strongly fancied to beat Venezuela at home and indeed Australia in a 2 leg play off.

Brazil were behind Argentina, France and Italy in the odds, for good reason.

Their literal worst ever qualifying campaign, their star player barely kicked a ball for 2 years, their captain injured and missing the whole tournament... Brazil were absolutely not expected to win that and they get nowhere near it without Ronaldo who scored 8 goals, scored in all but one game and got both in the final.

That World Cup is a far bigger accomplishment. That's before even factoring in the two Copa Americas, in which he also won Player of the tournament.

Brazil were behind Argentina, France and Italy in the odds, for good reason.

Their literal worst ever qualifying campaign, their star player barely kicked a ball for 2 years, their captain injured and missing the whole tournament... Brazil were absolutely not expected to win that and they get nowhere near it without Ronaldo who scored 8 goals, scored in all but one game and got both in the final.

That World Cup is a far bigger accomplishment. That's before even factoring in the two Copa Americas, in which he also won Player of the tournament.

So if Brazil were 8/1 (I bet them at 7s and did fancy them. 18 year aftertiming there!) and Portugal were even 16s what was the bigger surprise? All opinion anyway, betting prices don’t make things 100% right.

The big question though is do you think Ronaldo played a bigger part in Portugal winning France 2016 than his namesake did in Brazil winning USA 94?

Remember I said Portugal winning France 2016 over Brazil winning Japan 2002. Not that Ronaldo Portugal did more than Brazil Ronaldo in the 2. Two very different comparisons.

Last edited:
So if Brazil were 8/1 (I bet them at 7s and do fancy them. 18 year aftertiming there!) and Portugal were even 16s what was the bigger surprise? All opinion anyway, betting prices don’t make things 100% right.

I'd still pick Brazil as the bigger surprise, given the World Cup means you have to beat the better teams from every continent, not just Europe.

On the Cristiano front, I'd give Portugal a very good shout at next year's euros also.

I'd still pick Brazil as the bigger surprise, given the World Cup means you have to beat the better teams from every continent, not just Europe.

On the Cristiano front, I'd give Portugal a very good shout at next year's euros also.

They only played Costa Rica and China though who were non European.

Exactly, without him you wouldn’t fancy them in that Group at all really - with him they’ve got a chance of top 2.

Last edited:
Feel that CR always gets a harder time when it comes to these debates, people seem to try throw shade on stats.

Yes hes scored a barrel load against sh1te international teams, but he is also in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for most goals scored in a Champions League season, and spearheaded a team that won three CL's on the trot (not been done since the 70's). I've heard the Champions League is a decent level.

He also scored 46 league goals to help Real win the league in 2012 against, in my opinion, one of the best footballing teams ever (Barca 08-12).

There is no wrong answer and there is probably a generational element to it, I would hazard a guess that most people 30+ will say R9 and under 30's like myself would be more likely to say CR7.

CR7 at Man Utd in the 07/08 season was probably when i started to really tune into football and he was unplayable that year out on the LW.

CR7 is an incredible footballer. Top 5 greatest of all time for me.

You aren't thinking logically if you try and downplay the guys achievements in football.

It’s Amazing to think of the quality of defender R9 made look ordinary...
Maldini
Nesta
cannavaro
Thuram
Costacurta
Desailly

The Italian league in the 90’s was awful to watch generally until R9 arrived. (And Gazza obviously lol) special mention to batigol mind you.

I remember that I believe it was either chile or Paraguay that pushed them all the way in the qualifiers.

Reactions: KL2
I remember that I believe it was either chile or Paraguay that pushed them all the way in the qualifiers.

When people were on about International Football the other week and how crap it can be to watch I thought to the South American qualifiers for the World Cup, Shame Sky haven't still got them, were great to watch - can remember watching the 2014 last round of games and the way the players were as they either made it or failed was full of passion and emotion.

When people were on about International Football the other week and how crap it can be to watch I thought to the South American qualifiers for the World Cup, Shame Sky haven't still got them, were great to watch - can remember watching the 2014 last round of games and the way the players were as they either made it or failed was full of passion and emotion.
Aye I used to watch a fair few of they qualifiers always exciting football imo.

As an out and out striker he is by far the best I've ever seen, as an out and out footballer Messi still takes it for me. I wish he didn't get those injuries, he would have been even better at Madrid.

CR7 is an incredible footballer. Top 5 greatest of all time for me.

You aren't thinking logically if you try and downplay the guys achievements in football.

In terms of pure natural footballing ability and doing it at the very highest levels I’d have Messi, Maradona, Pele, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Cruyff, Platini, Rivaldo, Romario and the Brazilian Ronaldo ahead of him in the top ten.

I think there’s also a good case to say guys like Michael Laudrup, Beckenbauer, Puskas, Di Stefano, Best, Van Basten and Gullit are all ahead of him too in terms of what they could do on a football field.

To be undeniably thought of as one of the best 20 players of all time is still no mean feat however and I’ll stress that I do think the Portuguese is an exceptional footballer.

Brazil were favs for that World Cup along with France, like I’ve said at the Semi Final point they were 4/6. Portugal were outsiders for the Euros. Fair dos if you think Brazil winning that World Cup was a bigger surprise/achievement than Portugal winning the Euros.

Wish folk would stop focusing on Ronaldo never playing the full final as well, like it’s some clued up comment and he played no part in getting them there. He did play and came off early injured so that’s factually wrong what you’ve said as well.

He was pretty mediocre at the Euros, he was a major part of the reason they only scraped through the groups in the end because he couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo in the first couple of games which included a missed penalty. He was mediocre in the knock outs against fairly mediocre opposition too including a Wales team that must be the about the weakest side I’ve ever seen in the semi’s of a major international tournament. Someone (not sure if it was you) credited him with the goal against Croatia but Quaresma only got it because Ronaldo missed the glaring chance to score himself and was fortunate his teammate was there for the rebound.

He played about 5 minutes of the final then watched it with the rest of us causal viewers. The likes of Pepe, Fonte and Nani (and obviously Swansea reject Eder) were more pivotal to Portugal at that tournament than CR7. Just because the guy got his hands on the trophy in the end doesn’t mean it was because of him or that he was the driving force. It would be daft to suggest otherwise when he wasn’t even really a part of the biggest and most important match of the tournament.

He was pretty mediocre at the Euros, he was a major part of the reason they only scraped through the groups in the end because he couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo in the first couple of games which included a missed penalty. He was mediocre in the knock outs against fairly mediocre opposition too including a Wales team that must be the about the weakest side I’ve ever seen in the semi’s of a major international tournament. Someone (not sure if it was you) credited him with the goal against Croatia but Quaresma only got it because Ronaldo missed the glaring chance to score himself and was fortunate his teammate was there for the rebound.

He played about 5 minutes of the final then watched it with the rest of us causal viewers. The likes of Pepe, Fonte and Nani (and obviously Swansea reject Eder) were more pivotal to Portugal at that tournament than CR7. Just because the guy got his hands on the trophy in the end doesn’t mean it was because of him or that he was the driving force. It would be daft to suggest otherwise when he wasn’t even really a part of the biggest and most important match of the tournament.

Your opinion, personally felt he did alright at the Euros and Portugal wouldn't have made the Final without him. The goal against Croatia (which he should have finished himself) would not have happened without him - watch and feel free to tell me otherwise, was a superb example of defence in to attack - his positioning for the ball through was excellent.

You can't have watched much International Football if you think Wales were weaker than some of the stuff in the African Nations Cup and and Asian Cup.

The big question though is do you think Ronaldo played a bigger part in Portugal winning France 2016 than his namesake did in Brazil winning USA 94?

I’m assuming you mean the World Cup of 2002 and not ‘94 when the Brazilian was only 17 and didn’t feature in any game.

The answer quite clearly is that he played a far bigger part in Brazil’s victory that year than the Portuguese did his country’s Euro success fourteen years later.

I don’t see how that can even be remotely up for debate.

I’m assuming you mean the World Cup of 2002 and not ‘94 when the Brazilian was only 17 and didn’t feature in any game.

The answer quite clearly is that he played a far bigger part in Brazil’s victory that year than the Portuguese did his country’s Euro success fourteen years later.

I don’t see how that can even be remotely up for debate.

No mate, that comment is sarcasm read through the thread and it will be clear - that comment is a joke as another poster seemed to think Ronaldo played as much a part at USA 94 than his namesake did at France 2016.

Also I have never once said one did better than the other, just that Portugal winning the Euros in 2016 was a bigger surprise/achievement than Brazil winning the World Cup in 2002.

Latest posts

Back