Scottish football attendance and viewer stats

mkgers

Taken from the Fitbaw Gospel page on FB.

From March 2019 to March 2020 the Scottish Premiership was the most watched league in Europe per head of population for the 4th year running - and the 7th most watched overall despite 23 countries having a higher population

1.8% of the population attend a live game every week - more than any country on EARTH

66% of the population attended a live game that year - more than any other country with over 1m people

By head count alone it is in 7th place - despite being dwarfed in population and global media interest and being marketed poorly by an English broadcaster

3.6m people attended live games

Behind only England, Germany, Spain, Italy, France and Holland purely on attendances alone

More people attended games in Scotland (pop 5.4m) than Portugal (10.5m) Belgium (11.5m) Russia (148m) Turkey (80m) and Poland (40m)

The Premiership had the 9th highest average weekly attendance

The interest is clearly there yet our TV deal pays less than Norway, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine, Poland, Denmark, Portugal, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Spain, England and Russia

18th best financial TV deal in Europe

We are also one of only 2 countries in Europe that hasn’t had even 1 live competitive international game on free to air terrestrial TV (Northern Ireland being the other: both get live England games instead)

Sky Sports also pay more to Rugby League (average 40% less viewers but 160% more pay) woman’s football (average 29% less viewers, 40% less pay) Speedway (average 160% less viewers but 25% more pay) English League one (average 12% less viewers, 60% higher pay)

Last edited:

From March 2019 to March 2020 the Scottish Premiership was the most watched league in Europe per head of population for the 4th year running - and the 7th most watched overall despite 23 countries having a higher population

1.8% of the population attend a live game every week - more than any country on EARTH

66% of the population attended a live game that year - more than any other country with over 1m people

By head count alone it is in 7th place - despite being dwarfed in population and global media interest and being marketed poorly by an English broadcaster

Behind only England, Germany, Spain, Italy, France and Holland purely on attendances alone

More people attended games in Scotland (pop 5.4m) than Portugal (10.5m) Belgium (11.5m) Russia (148m) Turkey (80m) and Poland (40m)

The interest is clearly there yet our TV deal pays less than Norway, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine, Poland, Denmark, Portugal, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Spain, England and Russia

We are also one of only 2 countries in Europe that hasn’t had even 1 live competitive international game on free to air terrestrial TV (Northern Ireland being the other: both get live England games instead)

Sky Sports also pay more to Rugby League (average 40% less viewers but 160% more pay) woman’s football (average 29% less viewers, 40% less pay) Speedway (average 160% less viewers but 25% more pay) English League one (average 12% less viewers, 60% higher pay)

Absolutely astounding how Doncaster stays in his job.

Less money than women’s football down south :D

Incredible that SPL can't get a better deal than speedway or rugby league.
Agreed. Both minority interest sports. Rugby league mainly the NW of England/Yorkshire and speedway will really be the folk who follow or used to follow the teams, not much more on a regular viewing basis.

Those figures will be massively inflated due to the Glitterdome recording mythical sell out attendances yet having rows and rows of empty green seats for years now. It's what they do. They lie and spin anything to look bigger and better than us and help keep their SPFL puppets in power making out they are wonderful running our game

Come on Stevie, just give us 55 to shut the dirty squirming bastards up.

Surely the Value of the tv deal is not on how many viewers it attracts but rather than how many new subscribers it can attract? The point is that if you are a rugby league fan with no interest in football you won’t subscribe if rugby league isn’t on skyl if it is on Sky you might be inclined to subscribe.

How many subscriptions do Sky get from people because fans want to watch Scottish football? I’ll bet many of the fans wanting to watch Scottish football would already be subscribers wanting to watch english football.

That said I’m all for sacking Doncaster

Incredible that SPL can't get a better deal than speedway or rugby league.

Because the morons who run the game still come out with the line of "we are only 5 million people, it's the best deal we could get". I don't know about you, but last time I checked we were in the UK, where TV is shared throughout the isles, which means our potential audience is over 65 million.

Until we get rid of the clowns at the top who have been ruining our game for decades, Scottish football will never reach its full potential.

We’ve had to whore our product out to Sky for even less than the usual pittance for the next couple of years just to offset their losses from Doncaster ending the season early to hand the filth the league.

You know, the one thing they told us wasn’t going to happen unless the season was null and void.

The running of our game is a total embarrassment.

In taking those figures with a huge pinch of salt . 66% of the total population of Scotland went to a live game last year ? In fact I’m calling bollocks on that . The vast majority of people I know if you are including women snd kids , never set foot in a football stadium .
I think its based on the total attendance figures representing 66% of the population rather than 66% of people actually went to a game.

Impressive, but can’t help but see the nationalist angel re “English broadcaster” Sky are British and it’s not their job to market the Scottish game. It’s the SFA and SPFL who do a shit job of it!

I think its based on the total attendance figures representing 66% of the population rather than 66% of people actually went to a game.

It clearly states “66% of the population attended a live game that year - more than any other country with over 1m people”

That figure or statement is wrong . I think what you’ve said is closer to the truth .

Just shows how shit Neil Doncaster is at his job.

With the figures available you have to ask why he is still in a job.

Rugby League has just more than half the viewers but manages to get 60% more from Sky, that fact alone should be enough to have the Scottish MSM demanding answers from this clown. Pretty clear that Doncaster is not fighting hard enough to get the best deal from our main live game broadcaster.

Very misleading IMO as there are 2 big well attended clubs, and barely attended or watched others. That said I think this is potentially a more exciting year.

It clearly states “66% of the population attended a live game that year - more than any other country with over 1m people”

That figure or statement is wrong . I think what you’ve said is closer to the truth .
All it really shows is that between us and them we have a lot of season ticket holders who will be counted 19 times each as we all count as going regardless. That would account for just under 2 million people if we take it as 19 x 95,000 season tickets although the figures for them are likely to be dubious.

Plus Sky probably need the Rugby to fill whatever channel it is on more than they need us to fill the football channels.

I mean all the other spfl teams will moan about it but they had their chance to get rid of him and they backed him. They brought it on themselves. Ive gave up caring about anything in scottish football that doesnt somehow affect us, the coefficient and thats about it. Scottish football will decline until the rest of the country accept the guys a clown

Sky: we’ll offer you £150m for rights to the SPL games, in addition to a whopping.....

Doncaster:

iJ9Auim.gif

I bet Donkeycaster and co, scoffed at Barry Hearn when he suggested the CEO would be sacked if he worked for him without a sponsorship deal ?
If only he was in charge in Scotland I’m certain the sponsorship deals would be 5 fold at least better than what we currently have

I live in Poland quite a bit of time and the games I've watched are usually poor quality and very poorly attended.

Anyone semi-competent could use this data to forge a decent broadcasting deal for the football in this country.

Unfortunately we have Neil Doncaster.
While I agree Doncaster is an incompetent he’s not really the one valuing our product.

They work with consultants who tell them the value of our product and we then try to sell it to bidders. They will have spoke to many experts in the field and will be advised by many what the product is worth.

It then goes to sealed bids, the bottom line is that if the product was worth X we would get bids on that region, we don’t because it’s worth Y.

It’s not how many viewers we get, it’s how many subscribe to sky sports to specifically watch SCOTTISH games, I’ll bet not many do which is why our product is worth so little

In taking those figures with a huge pinch of salt . 66% of the total population of Scotland went to a live game last year ? In fact I’m calling bollocks on that . The vast majority of people I know if you are including women snd kids , never set foot in a football stadium .
It’s not the stats, it is the article’s commentary on them that is bollocks. Total attendance of games if not the same as “the number if people in the country attended a game”. They’ve taken a stat that says “the equivalent of 66% of the population attending a single game a season” and totally misrepresented it.

The comparison with other countries in the statistics is valid, the “analysis” isn’t. The reality is that about 90,000 people will have attended 19 games each which accounts for more than half the total attendance.

Last edited:

Those are breathtaking numbers.
Any competent Board seeing those numbers would immediately sack their executive team for clear incompetence.
An only half-decent marketer would rip-up the existing deals and get new ones at least three times better.
Unf@ckingbelievable.....

While I agree Doncaster is an incompetent he’s not really the one valuing our product.

They work with consultants who tell them the value of our product and we then try to sell it to bidders. They will have spoke to many experts in the field and will be advised by many what the product is worth.

It then goes to sealed bids, the bottom line is that if the product was worth X we would get bids on that region, we don’t because it’s worth Y.

It’s not how many viewers we get, it’s how many subscribe to sky sports to specifically watch SCOTTISH games, I’ll bet not many do which is why our product is worth so little
How do they know though.

I subscribe to sky and don’t tell them why.

Back