Tim Sherwood - certified football guru

Was it Sherwood who claimed he recommended Eriksen to Spurs when he was 18 years old after seeing him destroy England at Wembley in a game that didn't actually take place ? :D

Also claimed he set the stage for Pochettino's success by bringing through "the likes of Kyle Walker". That will be the same Kyle Walker who played nearly 40 games under Redknapp the season before.

Whilst Sherwood is a massive walloper the third tweet is utter shit.
"I dont see trophies as a sign of success"

I guess she is a pitch geography champion like Warburton
They arent be the only measurement for success but you cant just dismiss them as a measurement of success. Football is a results business, you dont win prizes for doing things right.

Sherwood down south, Stewart up here.

Sadly, networks more and more are going for pundits that provoke and get tweets rather than provide genuine insight.

I also suspect they are briefed that that's the reason they're used and to play up to the narrative if they want to keep getting gigs.
Not forgetting Mutton too

I think it is a really interesting point that when a woman and/or POC is put into a pundit role there are accusations that they are only there for reasons of diversity, yet when someone like Sherwood is there, he gets slagged off for his opinions, but people don’t consider that he actually only has the job because the default still remains white men.
Hes also captained a team to a Premier League title and been a Premier League manager.

It's his job to "know whether they're any good". There's no point paying him to be a pundit if he doesn't know any more than the average viewer. Unless they had a gilet review segment later, he's a complete waste of space.

It's his job to "know whether they're any good". There's no point paying him to be a pundit if he doesn't know any more than the average viewer. Unless they had a gilet review segment later, he's a complete waste of space.
Thats the guys who keep getting the gigs though. Utter landfill rolled into chairs to dribble nonsense.

Savage, Sherwood, McManaman, Wright, Merson, Nicholas, Sutton, Owen, Hartson, Shearer, Kamara. The women Sky keep bringing on are brutal but you cant complain when weve suffered Thompson, Merson and Nicholas who struggle to string 2 sentences together for about 15 years.

Ex pros are hired for knowledge, not for English grammar, but should at least respect the trade they have entered by learning at least basic standards of coherence. Reddy was wrong to dismiss the Cup win, but maybe recognised the staging posts along the way of having more long term significance.

Ex pros are hired for knowledge, not for English grammar, but should at least respect the trade they have entered by learning at least basic standards of coherence. Reddy was wrong to dismiss the Cup win, but maybe recognised the staging posts along the way of having more long term significance.
None of them seem to bring knowledge though. We have Mcmanaman whos played for 2 of the biggest clubs in the world and at the top level commentating on the biggest games there are and his knowledge extends to 'Yeeeaaaah, i was just going to say that.'

You could forgive them acting like vegetables if they brought a bit of insight.

That’s surely a poor comparison - Arsenal dominated City in the semi-final and then Chelsea in the final.

From a short-term perspective, which is obviously applicable to Arteta, I think winning the FA Cup and Charity shield is a good gauge. She’s speaking shit.

That's pretty much exactly what she said though. Specifically mentioned the tactics he used to win the City and Chelsea games as the measure of what he's doing, looking beyond just winning the cup itself, which can be done with a bit of luck by the likes of Wigan for example.

He’s at it again. I always find the outrage over women getting punditry jobs quite amusing when you think about how absolute fannies like Sherwood are still getting work and in reality he’s not as anywhere near as good as the likes of Alex Scott. Christ it’s amazing to think guys like Phil Thompson lasted so long too, that’s before you even get to Merson, Shearer and some of the rest of them.

But Sherwood is definitely right up there at the top in the who’s who of tadgers that know the square root of fùck all as far as football outside of England goes.

A couple of gems today

Very well played Melissa .. she certainly wasn't intimidated by him / his body language and responded very well putting him right in his place..
As for Sherwoods "is there a better front 3 in the world" comment... really Tim???

Sherwood down south, Stewart up here.

Sadly, networks more and more are going for pundits that provoke and get tweets rather than provide genuine insight.

I also suspect they are briefed that that's the reason they're used and to play up to the narrative if they want to keep getting gigs.
Unlike Sherwood and the rest of the "Old Guard" like Thompson and Shearer, Stewart has never played at the highest level in his career or won anything of Note. This vermin is employed solely to cause controversy with his cretinous outbursts.

P
None of them seem to bring knowledge though. We have Mcmanaman whos played for 2 of the biggest clubs in the world and at the top level commentating on the biggest games there are and his knowledge extends to 'Yeeeaaaah, i was just going to say that.'

You could forgive them acting like vegetables if they brought a bit of insight.
Most of them don’t. In cricket, some of the workshops of eg Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne have been excellent.
For all his stolidness on screen, Kevin Kyle spike well ( briefly) on the recent Open Goal Podcast of coaching forwards.

P

Most of them don’t. In cricket, some of the workshops of eg Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne have been excellent.
For all his stolidness on screen, Kevin Kyle spike well ( briefly) on the recent Open Goal Podcast of coaching forwards.
Neville and Carragher are guilty of overanalysing on MNF but at least they try to impart their experience and knowledge into the situation.

I think it is a really interesting point that when a woman and/or POC is put into a pundit role there are accusations that they are only there for reasons of diversity, yet when someone like Sherwood is there, he gets slagged off for his opinions, but people don’t consider that he actually only has the job because the default still remains white men.

He’s there because he's a premier league winning captain and was a very good player and coach, as a manager and a pundit he’s terrible hence why he’s on dross like shows in the OP but you carry on your moral crusade.

He’s there because he's a premier league winning captain and was a very good player and coach, as a manager and a pundit he’s terrible hence why he’s on dross like shows in the OP but you carry on your moral crusade.

What’s the moral crusade? When a woman or POC is put on as a pundit, there is inevitable people banging on about them not being there for being a good pundit, but for different reasons, and here you have someone you acknowledge is a rubbish pundit, but you don’t think he has had any advantages to get there?

What’s the moral crusade? When a woman or POC is put on as a pundit, there is inevitable people banging on about them not being there for being a good pundit, but for different reasons, and here you have someone you acknowledge is a rubbish pundit, but you don’t think he has had any advantages to get there?
No, hes saying that he has genuine credentials for being there other than just being a white male.

No, hes saying that he has genuine credentials for being there other than just being a white male.

If we were to accept that maybe the first time he got on TV nobody interviewed him or did a screen test, and maybe the second time they let him on they thought his first effort was nerves, how on earth is he still there?

If we were to accept that maybe the first time he got on TV nobody interviewed him or did a screen test, and maybe the second time they let him on they thought his first effort was nerves, how on earth is he still there?
Thats the same for most people doing punditry, commentary and summarising though. Male, female, white and black.

Almost all of them are absolutely brutal. Weve finally got rid of Merson and Nicholas but theyre being replaced by guys like Sherwood, Morrison and Akinfenwa. Sherwoods a complete tool, Morrisons taken over the Merson role of being the person who cant get a coherent sentence out and Akinfenwa should at least be entertaining so hes filling in the Le Tissier role of not being the most eloquent but still fun to listen to.

This is about Sherwood being a shite pundit, he’s there because of what he’s done, he’s a big name, he’s a catch, not becasue he is fucking white Which you’ve now tried to turn it into.

He’s awful as a pundit, so how about he‘s replaced with someone who’s qualified or decent, not because they are black, brown, pink or yellow or has self identified as a woman or is a woman.
It should be on merit not virtual signalling.

This is about Sherwood being a shite pundit, he’s there because of what he’s done, he’s a big name, he’s a catch, not becasue he is fucking white Which you’ve now tried to turn it into.

He’s awful as a pundit, so how about he‘s replaced with someone who’s qualified or decent, not because they are black, brown, pink or yellow or has self identified as a woman or is a woman.
It should be on merit not virtual signalling.

When Sherwood is a bad pundit, it is because he is bad, when a woman or POC is a bad pundit, they are ‘only there because of virtue signalling’ - do you see the difference?

I'm sure I remember Sherwood being linked with us when Alex was the manager; it was at the later end of his career, but on his day he was a very good player.

I'm sure I remember Sherwood being linked with us when Alex was the manager; it was at the later end of his career, but on his day he was a very good player.

He was good enough that Jack Walker decided Blackburn didn't need Zidane :D

And yes we were linked with Sherwood right after Eck took over. It was him, Lee Clark and Stefan Schwarz we were looking at as Reyna had been sold and Nerlinger was permanently injured.

And to think that this guy was lauded as the future of English football management and coaching. How the experts and analysis and journalists came to that conclusion is beyond me.
His, like many other young English coaches talents are based on how smart the look in a suit and how much they can merely look the part rather than having any actual talent.

When Sherwood is a bad pundit, it is because he is bad, when a woman or POC is a bad pundit, they are ‘only there because of virtue signalling’ - do you see the difference?
You did the same thing by saying Sherwoods only there because hes white.

That poster is saying he has very good credentials in football and it seems pointless replacing a shite pundit with another shite pundit, only a different race or sex. Its the same as replacing them with another shite pundit whos white. But if the aim is to target and change sexist or racist attitudes in the game by bringing those people in then it wont work if theyre terrible at the job.

And to think that this guy was lauded as the future of English football management and coaching. How the experts and analysis and journalists came to that conclusion is beyond me.
His, like many other young English coaches talents are based on how smart the look in a suit and how much they can merely look the part rather than having any actual talent.
He was laughed at by every single punter the moment he got in front on the mic as manager though.

You did the same thing by saying Sherwoods only there because hes white.

That poster is saying he has very good credentials in football and it seems pointless replacing a shite pundit with another shite pundit, only a different race or sex. Its the same as replacing them with another shite pundit whos white. But if the aim is to target and change sexist or racist attitudes in the game by bringing those people in then it wont work if theyre terrible at the job.

I didn’t say he was only there because he was white. However, white is the default setting (and people like Sherwood are lucky it is), other pundits get critiqued based on their sex or colour as the reason they got the job.

Reactions: fmp
I didn’t say he was only there because he was white. However, white is the default setting (and people like Sherwood are lucky it is), other pundits get critiqued based on their sex or colour as the reason they got the job.
You did though. 'people don’t consider that he actually only has the job because the default still remains white men.'

The argument since has been that he captained a team to a Premier League title and has managed a top team in the Premier League, so he has virtues that make him suitable to commentate on the game other than being a white man.

Sherwood is thick as shit, but the arguments that Reddy puts forward represent so much with what is wrong about modern football.

Sherwood is the classic Little Englander!

Remember his tear stained rant after getting beat by Benfica, moaning about a lack of class from the opposing manager!

You did though. 'people don’t consider that he actually only has the job because the default still remains white men.'

The argument since has been that he captained a team to a Premier League title and has managed a top team in the Premier League, so he has virtues that make him suitable to commentate on the game other than being a white man.

i even repeated the comment, the default IS white men.
Clinton Morrison has about as much to qualify him for the job as Paul Merson, both seem to be unpopular as pundits - but only one is assumed to have the job for the wrong reasons.

edit: and if you think it is woke people like me (or whatever anyone calls me) that are obsessed with race and sex just check out the New James Bond thread in the lounge.

i even repeated the comment, the default IS white men.
Clinton Morrison has about as much to qualify him for the job as Paul Merson, both seem to be unpopular as pundits - but only one is assumed to have the job for the wrong reasons.

edit: and if you think it is woke people like me (or whatever anyone calls me) that are obsessed with race and sex just check out the New James Bond thread in the lounge.
Morrison has never won or managed in the premier league. He isnt even as qualified as Merson if were talking about the level theyve played at. He is every bit as bad a pundit as Sherwood and Merson though so he is qualified in that sense. And im also not sure ive ever heard anyone say Morrison got the job because hes black. Heard it about others but i dont think ive heard it about him. Im sure he wouldve started commentating on midweek lower league games because thats the level he had just come from so it made sense.

I havent and would never call you or think youre woke. Its a word used by absolute cretins in the sense you mean.

This is what stuck out for me. Winning a trophy is THE measure of success, unless you consider being in the top 4 of the epl so you can make more cash a success.
I assume she was referring to the quality of opposition to win that trophy.

Although, as a fan, I want my team to win trophies.

Sometimes a cup win, for example, merely paints over the cracks.

Morrison has never won or managed in the premier league. He isnt even as qualified as Merson if were talking about the level theyve played at. He is every bit as bad a pundit as Sherwood and Merson though so he is qualified in that sense. And im also not sure ive ever heard anyone say Morrison got the job because hes black. Heard it about others but i dont think ive heard it about him. Im sure he wouldve started commentating on midweek lower league games because thats the level he had just come from so it made sense.

I havent and would never call you or think youre woke. Its a word used by absolute cretins in the sense you mean.

Fair enough if you haven’t heard it, I have seen the ‘diversity’ complaints when Sky got rid of the three amigos.

Might just be me but I rarely listen to the pundits, I know football I know what I'm watching and other than the soccer saturday type shows where you need someone to tell you if theres a goal etc football doesnt really need them. Ideally for me coverage would come on 5 minutes before kick off and end at full time.

Fair enough if you haven’t heard it, I have seen the ‘diversity’ complaints when Sky got rid of the three amigos.
Merson, Nicholas and Thompson stayed in their jobs about 10 years longer than they should have. It was clear a long time ago they had nothing to contribute. Le Tissier i quite liked, he was fun on Soccer Saturday. Morrison already does punditry on the midweek show and weekend championship games so it makes sense to promote him. If they are deliberately going towards a more diverse route then hes done the job and familiar with the format.

For the record, i dont think racial and sexual diversity is a bad thing, even if its being done deliberately. But for it to convince people who are resistant to the status quo you really need to make sure theyre better than what theyre replacing.

Sherwood is thick as shit, but the arguments that Reddy puts forward represent so much with what is wrong about modern football.

Too many pundits - most of whom offer zero insight. Personally, I think Jamie Redknapp, for example, only points out the bleeding obvious,

Journos in England have a ridiculously high opinion of their importance to the game though. Oliver Hoult being one of the worst.

Football is a simple game of 11v11 and the team who scores the most goals wins.

Might just be me but I rarely listen to the pundits, I know football I know what I'm watching and other than the soccer saturday type shows where you need someone to tell you if theres a goal etc football doesnt really need them. Ideally for me coverage would come on 5 minutes before kick off and end at full time.
Agreed.

I simply refuse to watch the pre and post match stuff these days.

It's mostly awful stuff and they are generally just padding out the programme on order to generate advertising income from the commercials.

Please get off tour high horse mate. Key to being intelligent is being balanced, intelligent, knowledgeable and experience of playing at the highest level.

Colour or religion should not be a factor, I can’t think of any that are critiqued based on this. Clinton Morrison, for example is a shit pundit, whereas Ashley Cole, Ian Wright or Glen Johnson come across really well.

Women, in my opinion shouldn’t be anywhere near being pundits.

Please get off tour high horse mate. Key to being intelligent is being balanced, intelligent, knowledgeable and experience of playing at the highest level.

Colour or religion should not be a factor, I can’t think of any that are. Clinton Morrison, for example is a shit pundit, whereas Ashley Cole, Ian Wright or Glen Johnson come across really well.

Women, in my opinion shouldn’t be anywhere near being pundits IMO.

ok, I’ll maybe just stay on your high horse if you think it is all right to be sexist as long as you don’t think you are racist. Why can’t it just be the best person for the job?

Back