Lille reportedly offer €20 million

EDIT: should probably have Morelos in the headline but I assume we knew that :))

---------

LILLE have made a fresh £18.3million bid for Alfredo Morelos, according to reports.

The French side have previously had an offer of around £16m rejected by Rangers.

They turned their attention to Genk ace Jonathan David and secured a £27.5m bid deal for the Canadian international.

But they have not yet given up hope of landing Morelos ahead of next months' transfer deadline and have reportedly made a fresh move for the Colombian.

WinSportsTV reporter Pipe Sierra claims Lille have offered Gers just over £18m and says the offer has not yet been rejected.

Morelos had reportedly agreed personal terms with the Ligue 1 side before seeing a previous bid rejected and could now move on before the end of the window.

-----------------

Rhebel and the Sun reporting it

We should absolutely take it. We can buy another striker (have another 3 on the books) and the midfielder we badly need, with the rest to help mitigate the shortfall in income this year.

You remember incorrect my friend, Alfie scored 7 in his first 7 games IIRC.

EDIT: sorry, 8 in his first 9, in which he only started 6 games.

Started off like a house on fire and then went three months without a goal.

We need that money to strengthen the squad. Morelos, for all his talent, is no longer worth the hassle and can not be relied or trusted long term.

Take the money, get us three players and improve the starting XI overall.

I remember Alfie not setting the heather on fire his first few games,

Roofe is an exceptional player and Itten hasn’t had hardly a chance so I wouldn’t be writing either off just yet.

Roofe imo does his best work out the box tremendous movement creating space he won’t get 25 goals a season imo.

We have to replace Alfie itten and Roofe won’t get us the goals to win the league

This 20 million Euros is a poor offer ,just because the mhedia and everyone connected to them 15 17 etc.etc does not mean we have to take it.
We have spent good money on Kent ,Itten and Roofe and thats not solved the issue so sell Morelos for buttons and blow it on players who cannot adapt to the hammer throwing game.
Keep him until next summer

2 weeks ago I wanted him sold. Now I really don’t know. Guess depends how serious Roofes injury is and we need to see something from Itten soon to give us confidence that these 2 are a decent replacement.

If not we need to use the morelos money to sign another forward who’s ready to go and not 3/4weeks off the pace!

Take it

Reinvest it in a number of improvements to positions

Those saying he’s back to his best are at it.

Since the break he’s looked leaner and sharper but performance wise, nowhere near his 2019 form unless we’re counting 2 goals against part timers from Gibraltar and a goal yesterday (and a sitter missed in what was an average performance)

Started off like a house on fire and then went three months without a goal.

We need that money to strengthen the squad. Morelos, for all his talent, is no longer worth the hassle and can not be relied or trusted long term.

Take the money, get us three players and improve the starting XI overall.

Regardless of how he did or didn’t start his Rangers career, he’s still not proved to us that he can score consistently over a full league season and, as such. €20m is about right.

I would love him to stay but it’s inevitable he will leave....He seems to have got his shit together but as we all know this could change at any time..
If it’s true they’re offering 18 million, then I would say let’s get it done, then we’ll know exactly where we are..
This will he, or won’t he go, isn’t doing the team any good.

I would like him to stay, but he is of no use if he is unsettled.also he might have had a 2nd yellow with that prick trying for him to take the bait after full time.we all know the wee man has a short fuse and the hammer throwers will have watched that scrote yesterday and i will be very surprised if the same will not happen in the motherwell game on sunday.as i said i would like him to stay but if he ends up sitting in the stand for a good part of the season due to red cards he is letting himself, the team and the fans down. Taking the cash could be the lesser of the two evils. That is the sad state of scottish football.

Take the money, invest in a top quality midfielder and we'll be fine.

Itten, Roofe, Defoe, Kent and Hagi will all chip in with enough goals, plus a proper central midfielder will help create more chances.

What I don’t get is people saying goals aside he was poor ? He a striker , strikers score goals , surley avraging a goal every 93 mins is exceptional form in any level of football , I think we should stick to her guns for the £20 m even at that , it’s a bargain if they don’t match he stays and hopefully continues his excellent goal scoring form

Is this why further signings have stalled/ongoing? Because there’s dialogue still going on with Lille and we are holding off until it’s confirmed?

I think it’s quite clear that we have used our transfer budget

id take £18m assuning SG is allowed to invest at least half of it in the team.

in fact I hope the story is true and we can all move and strengthen the team

Itten, Roofe, Defoe, Kent and Hagi will all chip in with enough goals, plus a proper central midfielder will help create more chances.
Itten yet to score. Roofe and Defoe now injury prone. A midfielder will sort us out bit not an international striker. Ok

3 weeks ago I’d be saying accept.

Since he’s came back looking like the old Alfie. So I’m not so sure.

It’s still a massive return.
Same here but it could all swing back round again. It's hard to decide what would be the best thing to do.

Spend the 20 on another striker and a couple of midfielders if it happens.

We will be a far better team without Morelos but with £10M spend on the midfield.

We have signed 2 other forwards, for some reason one of them has been deemed shite by some after 200 minutes of football but not by me or the management team.

Not deeming Itten as shite but for £2m he should be getting minutes. There is no guarantee that we would be given 10m to spend from the money, would also need a striker in if he goes too

People saying we shouldn't sell him...so what then?

He goes in another huff. He'll want this move, if the money's right we take it.

I completely agree about the need for a new striker though. Who knows how Itten will turn out and Roofe isn't going to get you much more than 10 a season.

This 20 million Euros is a poor offer ,just because the mhedia and everyone connected to them 15 17 etc.etc does not mean we have to take it.
We have spent good money on Kent ,Itten and Roofe and thats not solved the issue so sell Morelos for buttons and blow it on players who cannot adapt to the hammer throwing game.
Keep him until next summer

20M is not buttons. :rolleyes:

Its the 3rd highest fee in the history of Scottish football and double our own highest ever fee.

If we were talking about the Morelos of the first half of last season, it would be a definite no. The Morelos we've seen since January, I'd probably take it and move on, and reinvest.

The problem is... we now have a tough game away in Holland while Roofe is injured. Itten hasn't fully settled yet either so selling this week seems crazy.

Not deeming Itten as shite but for £2m he should be getting minutes. There is no guarantee that we would be given 10m to spend from the money, would also need a striker in if he goes too

3 strikers are enough for me, of course Gerrard is going to get at least 1/2 of it to spend.

Like it or not but we cant just keep buying without selling to fund it.

But there is no evidence to say that's our title bid done if he's not here. All depends how any money we get is reinvested. If spent wisely selling him may help improve us to have a better chance.
A lot of ifs and maybes.
Only 2 weeks of transfer window to go i doubt there will ne much quality for our price range

Currently we need him but I would imagine that we have told him that if a bid comes in for X amount then he would be free to leave. If we go back on that he will spit the dummy and it will be no good for either party.

All three strikers have had or have injuries - and none convince me they'll provide the goals we need.

If Morelos goes, we need someone else upfront who can hit the ground running.

For a player that breaks a european record last season and a Colombian international it is ?

I hate people under valuing him but 20M euros is a fair price for Alfie. Its not like we have many teams coming in for him and he has a reputation, rightly or wrongly.

I love the guy but thought we’ve played fine when he’s not been in the team.

Using that money to get another striker and a quality midfielder could be the difference to us properly challenging for this title.

I hate people under valuing him but 20M euros is a fair price for Alfie. Its not like we have many teams coming in for him and he has a reputation, rightly or wrongly.
We have lille tho ,who just spent 30 m on a player with half his ability

In the very rare contact or discussion I’ve had with the dark side recently , they are all super keen that Alfie leaves us for some reason . “ your a better team without him “ was one I heard yesterday on group chat.

This tells me we should be keeping him. They fear him and know it’s only a matter of time before he puts them to the sword .

Sadly I think he will be away IF and it’s a big IF a buyer bids £18 million.

Be careful what you wish for!
If he goes any player‘s brought in are a gamble, they might work out or they may flop.
Hindsight will be in full flow either way.

It doesn’t matter, it seems reasonably clear that we need to sell to buy.

As I’ve said, if it’s a choice between Morelos and one more signing, or no Morelos and having £8-10m to spend, then it’s option two every day of the week.

Back