Lille reportedly offer €20 million

Further expenditure on new additions is predicated on Morelos leaving, as the board expected, this window. Such are the commercial pressures and lack of revenue, that a deal that was structured in such a way that say four tranches of five million were paid over 2 years, will no longer be palatable post covid. We likely want as much as possible in the door now. I had heard that it was in the region of £5M set aside for upgrading the midfield and that all business this summer had to be financed from the Morelos sale funds. As we near closer to October and the close of the window, sale of players remaining to release needed cash and availability of fit and able players to come in and fly, both reduce. This will make or break our season and ultimately determine SG’s future as Rangers manager.

This thread genuinely is embarrassing. The amount of folk on here saying don’t sell, if we do the leagues away, are missing the point here

1. HE WANTS TO LEAVE
2. WEVE HAD HIM FOR THE PAST 3 SEASONS AND WON %^*& ALL

The time is right for him to move on. If it’s 18 and not 20 then so be it, it’s better than having an unhappy player. He’s scored a few this season but he certainly isnt looking himself, his head is clearly elsewhere so I don’t get why people cannot accept that he needs to go.

if he goes we might better our team enough to win the league or may we not and still finish 2nd anyway, regardless of that what we’ve got just now won’t win the league.

Jack, Aribo and Roofe were a big miss for us, but old failings keep raising their ugly heads ie complacency, slackness and letting the tempo drop, I really like our manager but not dealing with obvious faults ie someone to drive us forward from the middle of the park will eventually see the board looking elsewhere for answers.

I'd just like the Morelos soap opera to end finally. We can then concentrate on moulding a team rather than everything revolving around a not always reliable Alfie.

Not a peep about this from Lille, on Lille fora or in the French press.

They are expecting further transfer movement this week, though all outward. Big clubs across Europe have tabled €40m for Boubakari Soumare, and the club will make a decision on selling him this week. Strong rumours that an unnamed EPL club is going to make a big bid for Jonathan Ikone as well.

I'd just like the Morelos soap opera to end finally. We can then concentrate on moulding a team rather than everything revolving around a not always reliable Alfie.
I think the soap opera has been handled well, head got turned, low ball bid turfed out, dropped from the squad, called out publicly, trained well and now has 3 goals in his game time since. If the soap opera means he trains well and scores goals until we get the required bid then I'm happy for it to continue, especially whilst Roofe is injured and Itten is waiting to get off the mark

I think the soap opera has been handled well, head got turned, low ball bid turfed out, dropped from the squad, called out publicly, trained well and now has 3 goals in his game time since. If the soap opera means he trains well and scores goals until we get the required bid then I'm happy for it to continue, especially whilst Roofe is injured and Itten is waiting to get off the mark

I think it's been a distraction we could do without.

Further expenditure on new additions is predicated on Morelos leaving, as the board expected, this window. Such are the commercial pressures and lack of revenue, that a deal that was structured in such a way that say four tranches of five million were paid over 2 years, will no longer be palatable post covid. We likely want as much as possible in the door now. I had heard that it was in the region of £5M set aside for upgrading the midfield and that all business this summer had to be financed from the Morelos sale funds. As we near closer to October and the close of the window, sale of players remaining to release needed cash and availability of fit and able players to come in and fly, both reduce. This will make or break our season and ultimately determine SG’s future as Rangers manager.

If the board have budgeted our season based on the sale of Morelos then that is utterly inept from a footballing and business standpoint.

Why on earth would the board members who are successful businessmen do such a stupid thing when there are no guarantees someone will buy him?

As for the commercial aspect we must have done record numbers this season so far with the amount of sponsors on our kit, the partnership's that were announced all summer, our new retail deal and on top of that we appear to be the only club in the country who have sold out season tickets.

The latter wasn't a dig at you mate. It was more a comment on how excited people get over these kinds of offers.

I do mate, I also think we need to stick to our values. If we think he's a £20M player, he needs to be treated like one. By that I mean, he cant just be shoved out of the door at the first offer - an asset of that calibre should be sold because someone has forced us to with an offer that can't be refused. Not sold at a discount because someone flashed a bit of cash at us.

I also reiterate an earlier point I made. Gerrard clearly doesn't want him to go. To me there is only 2 reasons for that. One is he doesnt think he can replace him, the other is he knows he won't get much of the sale money to replace him. Neither option makes me feel comfortable
His value decreases with each passing window as his contract runs down

The idea that we don’t deal at £18m because we valued him at one or two million more six months ago is mental, and simply not workable in the current climate.

COVID means that clubs are selling for a little less. We’d never have for Roofe for what we did last season, we agreed a £5m purchase option for Hagi and got him for £3.5m due to the circumstances - it’s just the way it is at the moment.

I’ll keep saying it, but being able to add another two central midfielders and a right sided attacker is more important to us than having four strikers for one slot.

COVID means that clubs are selling for a little less. We’d never have for Roofe for what we did last season, we agreed a £5m purchase option for Hagi and got him for £3.5m due to the circumstances - it’s just the way it is at the moment.

I'm not entirely sure that is true, there have been plenty of hefty fees going about. The big TV leagues still have plenty of cash to spend. Look at how much Lille themselves have brought in

I'm not entirely sure that is true, there have been plenty of hefty fees going about. The big TV leagues still have plenty of cash to spend. Look at how much Lille themselves have brought in

Listen to last week’s Totally Football Show podcast if you haven’t already, they (unsurprisingly) put it across better than me mate. Maybe elite clubs aren’t quite the best examples in terms of fees, but they’re maybe considering doing deals that they wouldn’t have before.

Either way, we’ve benefitted from it by getting Hagi, Roofe and arguably even Itten for less than we would have normally, so I can’t see the club making a fuss of £18m instead of £20m in the current climate.

£18m for a player from Scotland, who over the last two seasons the goals dried up after Xmas is an offer we couldn’t refuse really.
Thats completely subjective fan view, ultimately the club will decide either way.

I'd wager if we have targets identified and deals theoretically agreed we might take £18 million. But in reality i just dont know.

Listen to last week’s Totally Football Show podcast if you haven’t already, they (unsurprisingly) put it across better than me mate. Maybe elite clubs aren’t quite the best examples in terms of fees, but they’re maybe considering doing deals that they wouldn’t have before.

Either way, we’ve benefitted from it by getting Hagi, Roofe and arguably even Itten for less than we would have normally, so I can’t see the club making a fuss of £18m instead of £20m in the current climate.
No, thats a fair point. The truth is probably somewhere in between. I think its more a case of the rich TV clubs being largely unaffected as they still get the TV money but the others struggling. In effect the rich have got richer.

But my point is the teams looking to buy Morloes (or teams we would expect too) will be largely unaffected by the COVID shutdown and loss of revenue.

Perhaps should we get a large fee for Morelos we should look to shop in effected markets rather than the Championship or Premiership.

This thread genuinely is embarrassing. The amount of folk on here saying don’t sell, if we do the leagues away, are missing the point here

1. HE WANTS TO LEAVE
2. WEVE HAD HIM FOR THE PAST 3 SEASONS AND WON %^*& ALL

The time is right for him to move on. If it’s 18 and not 20 then so be it, it’s better than having an unhappy player. He’s scored a few this season but he certainly isnt looking himself, his head is clearly elsewhere so I don’t get why people cannot accept that he needs to go.

if he goes we might better our team enough to win the league or may we not and still finish 2nd anyway, regardless of that what we’ve got just now won’t win the league.
Also his biggest league tally was 18, but in reality it seems to be 12/14 league goals. Tally in his temprament and referees targetting him mean he is negated for 6/8 games a season through suspensions or refs penalising him out the game.

His league goals are easily replacable its his european goals we would be paying big money to replace.

Is there anything concrete in this or is it just more mindless blind speculation ? He’s a Rangers player and I’m 90% sure he will remain one for this season .

The top end is proving itself to be pretty resilient. We ain’t there though.

Aye, that’s the problem. On the same podcast I referred to earlier, they’d mentioned Real Madrid are that ‘unaffected’ financially that they’re refunded 25% back to season tickets purchasers.

We’ve done alright. The STs selling out, the first time in years we’ve had a kit deal and making plenty from that even with the quality concerns, the MyGers packages - we’re probably doing not bad.

But given Morelos is the only one we’re looking to sell and given the absolute requirement for squad enhancements, they’ll jump at £18m IF it’s front loaded enough.

It just seems like another made up rumour, the gutter press here have taken it from twitter messages from the Colombian media which have been completely inaccurate throughout this saga.

There is nothing reliable to suggest anything has changed. We need Morelos to be focused on a tough game on Thursday

Was just gonna post exactly the same. When an appropriate bid comes in the club will accept it and announce Morelos' departure until then it is all nothing more the BS twitter rumours.

Sell?Don’t sell? Has this increased bid actually been verified?Was it more speculation or a genuine bid?I’ve not seen it anywhere apart from someone posting it on here.

If he stays, then we’re lucky if we bring in one other decent player.

It seems clear that we’re relying on a windfall from him, otherwise we’d have done business already.

Morelos stays, we’re not close to winning the league IMO.

If we are relying on a windfall for Morelos then that is utterly inept from the club. The fact we brought in two strikers makes it even worse.

It's the equivalent of spending your coupon winnings before it's up.

Aye, that’s the problem. On the same podcast I referred to earlier, they’d mentioned Real Madrid are that ‘unaffected’ financially that they’re refunded 25% back to season tickets purchasers.

We’ve done alright. The STs selling out, the first time in years we’ve had a kit deal and making plenty from that even with the quality concerns, the MyGers packages - we’re probably doing not bad.

But given Morelos is the only one we’re looking to sell and given the absolute requirement for squad enhancements, they’ll jump at £18m IF it’s front loaded enough.
To be fair, Madrid aren’t exactly in an amazing position. They aren’t signing any big players this summer. Doubt they’ll have a net spend of over £40m

If we are relying on a windfall for Morelos then that is utterly inept from the club. The fact we brought in two strikers makes it even worse.

We've already spent the guts of 10m on Hagi, Roofe and Itten. How much do you expect the club to spend? We have been running at huge losses in recent seasons that have been plugged by the investors at the club.

It's why Alfie's sale is key, as the squad needs strengthened further. Look at some of our bench options after injuries to Barker, Roofe, Aribo and Jack.

We've already spent the guts of 10m on Hagi, Roofe and Itten. How much do you expect the club to spend? We have been running at huge losses in recent seasons that have been plugged by the investors at the club.

It's why Alfie's sale is key, as the squad needs strengthened further. Look at some of our bench options after injuries to Barker, Roofe, Aribo and Jack.

That's exactly my point why are we buying three forward players if we are waiting on the sale of another to balance the books???

Depends.

I'd imagine we're holding out for 20m sterling as HJK are owed a percentage of the sale, so could take our profit down to 18m. That would be acceptable imo.

However, what if it's 18m euro (so 16.5m sterling) and we still have to pay HJK 1-2m of the sell-on. That would take our profit down to 14m sterling. And is this being paid up front?

People who think we should just accept the deal need to think this through.

That's exactly my point why are we buying three forward players if we are waiting on the sale of another to balance the books???

I certainly can see why they did bring in a few forwards - the fact they we were utterly dependent on Morelos, and the expectation that he’d leave.

We’ll need to see how it goes, but it’s absolutely unarguable in my eyes that we stand a better chance if he leaves and we reinvest.

If he keeps playing the way he is just now he will go on transfer deadline day with 2 or 3 clubs chasing for his signature and we'll get what we want for him. He is our biggest asset in our squad and its time the whole Morelos saga is brought to an end and we move on.

Is it? Pretty sure at the end of last season we were clamouring for players to take the burden off Alfie, more creative attacking players (Hagi, Roofe) and a more physical option up front (Itten)

Then the priority behind that was a central midfielder - the hysteria around central midfield has only really ramped up since we brought those players in and our two best midfielders (Jack and Aribo) have picked up injuries.

Gerrard has said he wants someone in the engine room, and if he brings that player in (alongside Balogun and McLaughlin, two players who provide cover and possibly a first team option, Bassey, who looks an excellent prospect and Patterson being promoted to the first team.) I think most people would have been happy with that at the start of the window.

If Jack and Aribo were fit and on form, the narrative would be more "We need one more central midfielder to really complete the squad" rather than "ineptitude from the board" etc.

There is a clamour for wingers, but we don't play with wingers. The wingers on our books - in my opinion - were only here because Halliday and Flanagan (as cover for Barisic and Tavernier) would operate like defensive full backs, instead of wingbacks, so we needed traditional wingers to give us width if there was an injury to Tav or Borna.

Now we have players who can perform the same role as cover, we have no need for traditional wingers, and that's why they're all leaving the club.

We will buy a midfielder before the window closes regardless of whether Alfie leaves or not.I suspect the quality of that midfielder does depend on Alfie leaving or us qualifying for Europe and we're holding off as long as possible to figure that out (which I agree is a dangerous tactic) and if Alfie does leave, I suspect the board will sanction some money for a replacement - after they keep half of fee for running costs.

Back