Clubs going to the wall

Whilst I understand what football means for fans and communities, I won't shed a tear for clubs up here if karma decides to be a bitch.

Most clubs wouldn't be missed in terms of entertainment value, so they wouldn't be a great loss to the beautiful game.
That could be said for any club in Scotland, including us.

I’ve said it before - the best possible outcome would be for so many clubs to go bust that professional football in Scotland becomes unviable. Then, especially if a few English clubs go to the wall, there will be an opportunity to merge the Scottish and English leagues. I care not one jot for the Scottish Cup, the Scottish League Cup or the Scottish league and still less for the rotten apple clubs who have ruined the barrel through their hatred and bigotry. I care only for Rangers and for our future and the best result would be for us to leave the corrupt and inept Scottish football setup behind us.

With it being highly unlikely we will see fans at games until next year, the financial strain on some will be huge. Aberdeen are selling the 9 million dollar man (snigger) so should manage but many others will be on the slippery slope to oblivion.

I have always though the herd that is Scottish football needs thinning, who do we all think will be first or who do you want gone the most.

If Livingston and Alloa dissapeared, I'd love that.
That would be The Livingstone who voted with us? Great idea!

Probably the Welsh or Northern Irish ones at best. If we're lucky we'd maybe get an invite to the eight-tier in England.
[/QUOTE A lot of teams in England will be "going to the wall" as well. Football, when this pandemic ends will never be the same again. Their may never be an eight league tier system in England again. The whole thing may have to be restructured.

With it being highly unlikely we will see fans at games until next year, the financial strain on some will be huge. Aberdeen are selling the 9 million dollar man (snigger) so should manage but many others will be on the slippery slope to oblivion.

I have always though the herd that is Scottish football needs thinning, who do we all think will be first or who do you want gone the most.

It’s going to be a real perilous time for all in Scotland!

A lot of teams in England will be "going to the wall" as well. Football, when this pandemic ends will never be the same again. Their may never be an eight league tier system in England again. The whole thing may have to be restructured.

If a 'lot' of English teams are going to the wall, Id be far more concerned about Rangers surviving than getting to move to England.

a club that should’ve been relegated but were saved by giving their vote to the SPFL .
Wasn't it the then SPL clubs that voted us out of the SPL. The Scottish football league (a separate entity from the SPL) clubs voted almost overwhelmingly bar 1, if memory serves me right, to accept us into the scottish football league. In fact, didn't they tell the SPL to go f**k themselves cos the SPL wanted us accepted into the old division 1?

Wasn't it the then SPL clubs that voted us out of the SPL. The Scottish football league (a separate entity from the SPL) clubs voted almost overwhelmingly bar 1, if memory serves me right, to accept us into the scottish football league. In fact, didn't they tell the SPL to go f**k themselves cos the SPL wanted us accepted into the old division 1?
No, they voted on it and clubs rejected it. A second vote put is into D3.

I don’t think any club will not be considerably damaged through all this - I include us and the tims in that.

As we shout for increased transfer activity I think we should just keep in mind there is a bigger picture

Motherwell should be okay they got a transfer fee off them and Livingston cash from QPR. Ross County got something from us for that young lad.

No, they voted on it and clubs rejected it. A second vote put is into D3.
But, again, if memory serves me right, wasn't that the wishes of the majority of the Rangers support? To be placed into div3 and work our way back to the top? So why the disdain for the smaller clubs who voted for what we wanted?

But, again, if memory serves me right, wasn't that the wishes of the majority of the Rangers support? To be placed into div3 and work our way back to the top? So why the disdain for the smaller clubs who voted for what we wanted?

It was, and it is just as stupid an idea now as it was then.

I dont want any club in Scotland to go to the wall (for various reasons) and the shortsightedness from some fans never fails to baffle me.

You often see posts about the game hating it's self to death and there are lots of examples of that on here.
Much as I have no time for some Clubs I don't want them to disappear.I would get much more enjoyment going to their grounds and give them a 5 - 0 hammering.

So many of these diddy teams stood and ignored our plight caused by charlatans many laughed and they voted us into division 3. Excuse me if I couldn’t care less if the majority went out of business it’s called karma.
I think we should feel a little if not exactly gratitude, certainly good grace t the lower league teams who welcomed us. I appreciate they made out like bandits with us in the league but they effectively gave up their promotion chances
I won't shed any tears for those in the top league who kicked us out should they go bust though
I recall McCoist's words about enjoy kicking us now because the tables will turn in the future or something like that
Looks like they are turning and unless an SPFL club has a player they can sell for at least a couple of million then they will struggle and may go bust
Should they go into administration or liquidation then the best they can hope for is to re-emerge in Div 3

Businesses need customers, If we go into another lockdown and given the numbers on the increase it's quite possible we'll have another lockdown and those businesses will be out of business.

Most of the smaller clubs have small wage bills, but that will add up each week to a fair amount if you have no income coming in, off the top of my head i can only think of councils helping them by reducing their rates bill,but catch 22 is councils are also being hit hard with cutbacks.

No easy answer, clubs need players but players are the main source of all their outgoings,pay the players off then you can't play football. Sad to see what's happening.
Its tough, no doubt and its not easy for govt balancing economy v lives. Personally, I'd prefer a month total lockdown as that might have more or at least as much impact than 6 months of 1/2 measures. But I accept for everyone who agrees with that there will be others who dont. For sure though, the Brexit double whammy will exacerbate everything Covid throws at us. I dont see where recovery is going to come from, a vaccine will help for sure but I think our lives will be changed in ways we cant imagine yet. Scottish approach to work with people rather than blame them should hopefully make a difference. But the message isnt getting through to everyone. My own son (23) says he's going to ignore the advice, thinks its all bollox. I cant get thro to him, and no doubt there will be loads like him, stupid buggers.

Game needs a shakeup, but it isn't fair on the likes of Hearts if they are not able to even compete this season. might be the premier league and then whats left

It would not surprise me if some clubs did fold but would have sympathy for fans who follow their local clubs as in the main they did not put us where we went to in 2012.I would not,however,feel sorry for any Chairmen still in post who hastened our exile to the third division.

Scotland has far far to many diddy clubs 2 Stronger leagues with 16 in each would be a better model than the present model with many getting o more than 300 watching every week so if about a dozen or so go to the wall who cares

Scotland has far far to many diddy clubs 2 Stronger leagues with 16 in each would be a better model than the present model with many getting o more than 300 watching every week so if about a dozen or so go to the wall who cares

So fans of those teams who don't make your cut are suddenly going to pick another side to follow are they?

If Rangers had gone out of business, I'm sure you'd have been eager to get the ferry over to follow Stranraer or Ayr United?

Depends on your measure of 'diddy clubs I suppose. Could widen the scope and say Europe has too many diddy clubs and we should just cull everyone except the elite clubs and have the best 16 sides on the continent play each other incessantly.

Most of the lower league clubs are leeches sucking an absolute fortune from a pretty small pot in order to keep the blazers in apparent positions of power and influence. Dropping a league or two from the professional set-up would be of enormous benefit to Scottish football as a whole

There's only 1 club who pushes an agenda in the smsm. Clubs have literally weeks till they go bump. Here's hoping.

Most of the lower league clubs are leeches sucking an absolute fortune from a pretty small pot in order to keep the blazers in apparent positions of power and influence. Dropping a league or two from the professional set-up would be of enormous benefit to Scottish football as a whole

What would the benefits be? You'd immediately lose thousands of fans from the game. Close various academies and decimate the two national cup competitions.

Depends on your measure of 'diddy clubs I suppose. Could widen the scope and say Europe has too many diddy clubs and we should just cull everyone except the elite clubs and have the best 16 sides on the continent play each other incessantly.

They do. It's called the Champions League.

Back