Do season tickets holders get Thursday’s game free on RTV

I don't think it's been an option so far. The rights don't belong to us to mean we can do that

Qualifiers are under the clubs control right wise

But the group stage onwards is the test since BT Sport have the UK rights, can't see them allowing for any of the British club been to sell PPV via the own club channel to STH

There is no decision, not for the club.
They'll still expect season tickets to be sold next season.
My beef is that we should not all be paying a different price watching from home.
A non season ticket punter should not be able to watch a home game for less than a season ticket holder.
Europe. Fair enough. It's a couple of games at a tenner.
So, there is a decision then... ?
As you've clearly just stated ST holders are being charged disproportionately to non season ticket holders.
Should this be the likely situation (BCD) for next season, I really think the club should explore the option of VST prices for us, with an extra deposit that should we be allowed back to games secures our seat with a future extra charge when we are allowed entry.

Renewing was entirely up to each individual and I wouldn't tell anyone what to do with their money - however I do think club's shouldn't have been offering fans the chance to renew when there was absolutely no clarity then (as there is now) if we'll even get to set foot inside a stadium this season.

Clubs should've sold VSTs exclusively for streaming to anyone that wants one. Don't sell actual season tickets to matches that fans were never getting into and then offer them a stream as an alternative.

Offer last season's ST holders the chance to 'reserve' their seat for when the time comes that we are allowed into games by paying a small deposit and any balance would then paid once we actually get access to games again and the ST price would be discounted to a pro-rata price based on the number of games fans actually get in to.

All that sounds brilliant but it's pie-in-the-sky given the contractual obligations of the club.

We already run at a loss, funded by our investors, so if you withdraw or minimise or main source of income in season tickets then there's a huge gap to plug.

2012 and everything in the years following broke my heart, if I have an opportunity to buy a book and help the club charter it's way through stormy waters that are no doing of their own then I will. Not only for this season but in future if required

People had the right to judge their own finances and make a decision on whether to renew but to imply the club did something wrong by protecting our main source of income through what will be challenging times, I don't subscribe to.

Is the £600 odds worth it in the context of watching a stream on a TV? No.

Is the £600 odds worth it in the context of watching a stream and protecting the club's future? 100%

All that sounds brilliant but it's pie-in-the-sky given the contractual obligations of the club.

We already run at a loss, funded by our investors, so if you withdraw or minimise or main source of income in season tickets then there's a huge gap to plug.

2012 and everything in the years following broke my heart, if I have an opportunity to buy a book and help the club charter it's way through stormy waters that are no doing of their own then I will. Not only for this season but in future if so be it.

People had the right to judge their own finances and make a decision on whether to renew but to imply the club did something wrong by protecting our main source of income through what will be challenging times, I don't subscribe to.

Is the £600 odds worth it in the context of watching a stream on a TV? No.

Is the £600 odds worth it in the context of watching a stream and protecting the club's future? 100%

Which specific contractual obligations?

Wouldn't selling VSTs to a larger number of fans help drastically plug the gap? Say we sell 45k STs at £400, is it that much of a stretch to think we could sell upwards of 90k VSTs at £200?

EDIT: If there are such serious concerns over the clubs income in 'challenging times' have any steps been taken to reduce the clubs spending? Or is it business as usual despite the 'challenging times'?

Would the club have been giving away the VSTs?
Would the club have been giving away merchandise?
Would the club have stopped receiving income from sponsors, the SPFL and UEFA?
Would the club have given PPV streams away for free?

There's four substantial income streams right off the bat. No need for a magical money tree.

The club are getting income streams 2, 3 and 4 anyway. How much are you expecting them to get for the VST's. If (as I presume) it's significantly less than what they've actually got for ST's then your idea is nonsense.

You suggest 90k VST's. The essence of these is to reserve a season ticket for next season so we can't sell more than the ST's we've already sold.

And if we want to win the league then it has to be business as usual in terms of spending.

Wouldn't selling VSTs to a larger number of fans help drastically plug the gap? Say we sell 45k STs at £400, is it that much of a stretch to think we could sell upwards of 90k VSTs at £200?

EDIT: If there are such serious concerns over the clubs income in 'challenging times' have any steps been taken to reduce the clubs spending? Or is it business as usual despite the 'challenging times'?

Salaries are obviously our biggest outgoing.

I'm not sure about how well the uptake would be in VST but for families of 3 or 4 all watching on the same stream, wouldn't they all just buy the same one?

I trust that the board have done/are doing things behind the scenes but what they are I will leave to people with more knowledge than I.

Salaries are obviously our biggest outgoing.

I'm not sure about how well the uptake would be in VST but for families of 3 or 4 all watching on the same stream, wouldn't they all just buy the same one?

I trust that the board have done/are doing things behind the scenes but what they are I will leave to people with more knowledge than I.

And has there been any steps taken to reduce salaries in these 'challenging times' or are punters making a few hundred quid a week being expected to fund footballers earning thousands of pounds per week?

What new funding has come from the club's investors or, again, are punters being expected to foot the bill?

And has there been any steps taken to reduce salaries in these 'challenging times' or are punters making a few hundred quid a week being expected to fund footballers earning thousands of pounds per week?

What new funding has come from the club's investors or, again, are punters being expected to foot the bill?

I'd like to think so but if they have then it hasn't worked.

That said the players/staff are under no obligation to take a reduced salary, they're contractually due it.

Presuming they have asked and been refused then the options were either:

A. Try to punt them and cut our cloth financially so supporters were not asked to pay the same amount for a different product and not make any signings but in doing so give up any chance of success

or B. Ask the supporters to back the club where possible, acknowledging that the product is not the same but that when laws allow, a safe return to Ibrox will happen. Keep and improve our current squad that will allow us to challenge for trophies.

I'd like to think so but if they have then it hasn't worked.

That said the players/staff are under no obligation to take a reduced salary, they're contractually due it.

Presuming they have asked and been refused then the options were either:

A. Try to punt them and cut our cloth financially so supporters were not asked to pay the same amount for a different product and not make any signings but in doing so give up any chance of success

or B. Ask the supporters to back the club where possible, acknowledging that the product is not the same but that when laws allow, a safe return to Ibrox will happen. Keep and improve our current squad that will allow us to challenge for trophies.

So it's business as usual and the punters have to fill the gaps. Good to see the club is giving something back in these 'challenging times'. At least we won't need to worry about Steven Gerrard going skint as thousands of fans wonder if they'll have a job this time next month or next year, while subsidising his wages.

Then he's living in a wee dream world utterly detached from reality. There was absolutely zero chance then that fans would be back in grounds come August/September and even less of a chance that we'd be allowed back at full capacity.

That’s nonsense to be honest, you are obviously posting with the benefit of hindsight, it was looking likely that some fans were going to be allowed back in September, in fact 2 grounds were actually allowed fans back in, there were more trials planned and the plan was to allow more and more fans to attend by the end of the year, with eventually a 3rd of capacity the target for early next year.

All this talk of zero chance of fans and all the rest is bollocks, no one knew what was happening, football resumed and fans in their thousands in some countries have returned.

That’s nonsense to be honest, you are obviously posting with the benefit of hindsight, it was looking likely that some fans were going to be allowed back in September, in fact 2 grounds were actually allowed fans back in, there were more trials planned and the plan was to allow more and more fans to attend by the end of the year, with eventually a 3rd of capacity the target for early next year.

All this talk of zero chance of fans and all the rest is bollocks, no one knew what was happening, football resumed and fans in their thousands in some countries have returned.

No hindsight involved at all, I was posting this on Twitter as far back as March when Hibs launched their STs. Trials were planned ahead of a tentative date of October 5th. A date that wasn't confirmed until long after STs had gone on sale. The idea that fans would be back in grounds in August or September was absolute pie in the sky.

Even allowing for clubs to be back at 1/3 capacity by 'early next year' that still leaves the massive issue of 2/3s of your ST holders being locked out.

No hindsight involved at all, I was posting this on Twitter as far back as March when Hibs launched their STs. Trials were planned ahead of a tentative date of October 5th. A date that wasn't confirmed until long after STs had gone on sale. The idea that fans would be back in grounds in August or September was absolute pie in the sky.

Even allowing for clubs to be back at 1/3 capacity by 'early next year' that still leaves the massive issue of 2/3s of your ST holders being locked out.

Of course it was hindsight, fans were literally in the grounds in September, so how on Earth was it pie in the sky? It was planned in August and given the go ahead.

It’s only been the last couple of weeks that everything has been out on hold, it was all setup for fans to return again, why do you think the first old firm game was October?

Of course it was hindsight, fans were literally in the grounds in September, so how on Earth was it pie in the sky? It was planned in August and given the go ahead.

It’s only been the last couple of weeks that everything has been out on hold, it was all setup for fans to return again, why do you think the first old firm game was October?

Its amazing that I was posting using hindsight as far back as March then. Fans were NEVER getting back into stadiums in any meaningful numbers before the end of 2020. At the time STs went on sale, there was still no confirmed dates for when the season would begin let alone any idea when fans would get back.

The club are between a rock and a hard place. Trying to maintain income while being generous to fans is a bit of a tricky one.

You would have had to pay for a ticket if fans were able to attend so £10 to see it on RTV isn’t over the odds IMO. I’d rather give a tenner to Rangers than hand it to Premier or BT.

Argued it in another thread

ST holders shouldn’t be paying for qualifier games.

We’ve paid £500+ for 19 home league games on a stream. The same games are available game by game for £10.

That in itself shows the club should be very thankful to St holders so giving us a few qualifiers free of charge isn’t asking a lot when I’m told by someone at the club that each round broadcast rights are a 5 figure sum the club has to pay.

“Aye but you wouldn’t get euro qualifiers as part of your ST”. True.

But you don’t get live stream access with your £500 ST, you get into the stadium to watch the live matches so this argument some are putting up is nil and void

We have sold out the season ticket allocation, the majority have also signed up to MyGers, we have cleaned out the Rangers shop and the online store of merchandise. I just feel that asking for another £9.99 to watch a link is a bit too far. I hope the club look at this and consider dropping the price for future matches.

Its amazing that I was posting using hindsight as far back as March then. Fans were NEVER getting back into stadiums in any meaningful numbers before the end of 2020. At the time STs went on sale, there was still no confirmed dates for when the season would begin let alone any idea when fans would get back.

You were taking a wild guess in March as to what would happen, no one knew, no one. You are using the benefit of hindsight now, to say you were correct, you said there was a zero chance of fans being in grounds in September and it was pie in the sky, it was literally all set up for fans to return and some actually did.

Last edited:
You were taking a wild guess in March as to what would happen, no one knew, no one. You are using the benefit of hindsight now, to say you were correct, you said there was a zero chance of fans being in grounds in September and it was pie in the sky, it was literally all set up for fans to return and some actually did.

No, there was no guessing involved I tend to avoid taking guesses at stuff. Test events weren't fans being allowed to return to grounds en masse and the earliest that was possible was going to be October 5th. Also worth pointing out that when STs went on sale there were precisely zero test events scheduled.

Anyone who believed that we would have anywhere near full attendance by August needs their head examined. My other point stand though. Those asking for tomorrow night to be free are by extension also saying we should get free Sky subscription too from club to watch all away games.

It's not really the same thing. Making games which RTV are broadcasting in the UK available to those who have a VST is quite different to paying for a third party service for games (and sky covers a lot more than the odd Rangers game) which they are not broadcasting.

It was said at the time that there would be value in buying a season ticket. This value has not materialised and those who have paid for season tickets are much worse off financially than those who didn't and are getting games on a game by game basis.

No, there was no guessing involved I tend to avoid taking guesses at stuff. Test events weren't fans being allowed to return to grounds en masse and the earliest that was possible was going to be October 5th. Also worth pointing out that when STs went on sale there were precisely zero test events scheduled.

No guesses involved :D

So back in March you could see into the future and could predict what was happening 6 months down the line?

Come on ffs:D

Tbh, my logic is that clubs should never have been selling STs in the first place knowing fans weren't going to be getting in any time soon.

And then do what? Just stop paying bills and wages?

People knew what they were buying at the start of the season. To start moaning and wanting more now is out of order. Should have just let someone else buy your season ticket.

No guesses involved :D

So back in March you could see into the future and could predict what was happening 6 months down the line?

Come on ffs:D

No, I spoke to folk at clubs, the SPFL, SFA and various other bodies to get an idea of what was going on and the likelihood of fans being back in grounds any time soon.

A lot of people on here seem to want everything for nothing, but would be the first to moan if we were years behind the poets financially. The club is a business which needs to make money and even more so now.
If you want to pay it then pay it, if you don’t want to pay it then don’t. Its really simple.

You wouldn't be allowed to sell more VST's that include the Old Firm than we had normal season tickets last season. Also you wouldn't get 90,000 people buying it anyway as only one person in a group would need to buy one.

Nobody forced anyone to get a ticket.

And then do what? Just stop paying bills and wages?

People knew what they were buying at the start of the season. To start moaning and wanting more now is out of order. Should have just let someone else buy your season ticket.
Sell strips.
Sell virtual season tickets.
Get money from sponsors.
Get money from SPFL.
Get money from UEFA.

So, there is a decision then... ?
As you've clearly just stated ST holders are being charged disproportionately to non season ticket holders.
Should this be the likely situation (BCD) for next season, I really think the club should explore the option of VST prices for us, with an extra deposit that should we be allowed back to games secures our seat with a future extra charge when we are allowed entry.
I don't disagree....I'm saying I don't think for a second there is a decision for the club. They will want and need (expect) and come looking for the full season ticket cash / My Gers cash.

Do I agree with that if this is indeed where we head..no.
The cost of a season ticket for worst seat in the house is what a season ticket should cost right now.
To take premium prices when there are no games for me is wrong . I like your idea though of a VST and then you pay more if and when you can get back in.

You wouldn't be allowed to sell more VST's that include the Old Firm than we had normal season tickets last season. Also you wouldn't get 90,000 people buying it anyway as only one person in a group would need to buy one.

Nobody forced anyone to get a ticket.

The cap on them just now is a concession that was made to Sky. There's nothing contractual which locks clubs to only selling VSTs to the level of STs sold last season.

If 45,000 have bought season tickets and we apparently have thousands on a waiting list, is it that much of a reach to think we'd sell even more VSTs at a lower price and having no cap on the numbers we sold them to? Then there's also be the PPV games on top of it for people who didn't want/couldn't afford a VST

The club are going to need as much revenue as possible now.

The support have stepped up in a massive way, given the circumstances, with ST renewals and purchasing merchandise.

I understand the club can’t just give stuff away for free but let’s not get carried away with how much cash they’ll need in comparison to a significant number of the support.

I do understand that logic and I agree that its a bizarre situation currently that this is the case. That being said we knew that potentially we wouldnt get to games with our ST's and made the decision to purchase regardless to support the club. To put a spin on it, I dont think it would be right to change the normal PPV price for a game just because they dont have a ST.
This season is gone, we knew the risk. Agree.
If we start next season in the same situation (Highly likely) then I'm not sure what the answer is. Buying a premium price season ticket again might not be viable. Buying a lower end ticket or a VST may be the answer. Some may decide to just pay per view and then jump back on the season ticket path later.
If this season goes tits up, making that renew decision with no attendance in sight might not quite play on the same heart strings of so many.

The cap on them just now is a concession that was made to Sky. There's nothing contractual which locks clubs to only selling VSTs to the level of STs sold last season.

If 45,000 have bought season tickets and we apparently have thousands on a waiting list, is it that much of a reach to think we'd sell even more VSTs at a lower price and having no cap on the numbers we sold them to? Then there's also be the PPV games on top of it for people who didn't want/couldn't afford a VST

So you are saying we can sell VST's which include the Old Firm games to as many people as we want? Because we can't as there is a cap.

We wouldn't sell 90,000 VST's when you only need one per household/group and it doesn't guarantee you a season ticket next year.

Sell strips.
Sell virtual season tickets.
Get money from sponsors.
Get money from SPFL.
Get money from UEFA.

These are all needed in a normal season too. You are asking the club to take a huge cut in revenue. Do you want this and expect the club to challenge for a title?

Would you be happy with the club just writing off the league this season as we can't buy any new players and have to sell players just to keep going?

Well there is plenty of people that don't want that to happen so you should have not bothered buying a season ticket and left everyone else to it.

Qualifiers are under the clubs control right wise

But the group stage onwards is the test since BT Sport have the UK rights, can't see them allowing for any of the British club been to sell PPV via the own club channel to STH

Ignore my earlier post - I was under the mistaken impression Premier Sports had the rights to it.

So you are saying we can sell VST's which include the Old Firm games to as many people as we want? Because we can't as there is a cap.

We wouldn't sell 90,000 VST's when you only need one per household/group and it doesn't guarantee you a season ticket next year.

These are all needed in a normal season too. You are asking the club to take a huge cut in revenue. Do you want this and expect the club to challenge for a title?

Would you be happy with the club just writing off the league this season as we can't buy any new players and have to sell players just to keep going?

Well there is plenty of people that don't want that to happen so you should have not bothered buying a season ticket and left everyone else to it.

It wouldn't guarantee you a ticket for next year (already addressed it earlier ITT) but that would be easily resolved by taking a small deposit from existing STH to 'reserve' their seat for when actual STs are available.

Why would they be taking a huge cut in revenue? The only thing that would be cut is ST revenue and I think that would be able to be recouped largely by selling VSTs to a wider number.

EDIT: The cap isn't a contractual arrangement but a concession made to Sky

It wouldn't guarantee you a ticket for next year (already addressed it earlier ITT) but that would be easily resolved by taking a small deposit from existing STH to 'reserve' their seat for when actual STs are available.

Why would they be taking a huge cut in revenue? The only thing that would be cut is ST revenue and I think that would be able to be recouped largely by selling VSTs to a wider number.

EDIT: The cap isn't a contractual arrangement but a concession made to Sky

You are not allowed to sell more VST's which include all home games than you are the number of season tickets you sold last season. That is a fact so I don't know why you keep saying you can.

Even if we were allowed to, which we aren't, we wouldn't sell 90,000 at £200 as you would only need one per household and a large number people would just stream it anyway.

Being guaranteed a seat in the stadium when we're allowed back is why 45,000 paid for their VST this time.

You are not allowed to sell more VST's which include all home games than you are the number of season tickets you sold last season. That is a fact so I don't know why you keep saying you can.

Even if we were allowed to, which we aren't, we wouldn't sell 90,000 at £200 as you would only need one per household and a large number people would just stream it anyway.

Being guaranteed a seat in the stadium when we're allowed back is why 45,000 paid for their VST this time.
I'm sure there's plenty of ways around it. Sell it in smaller packages over and above like the club has been doing. Sell commercial packages to boozers, continue with PPV offers. So if we're not allowed back in this season, those who bought a ST will be allowed in next season?

Maybe Rangers will make the home game next week available to VST viewers?

Agree with that stance VB but then we have the rights to the home game to do as we please.

If we wanted to include away Euro games in the VST we would need to pay the hosting club for the privilege and would therefore lose money.

I'm sure there's plenty of ways around it. Sell it in smaller packages over and above like the club has been doing. Sell commercial packages to boozers, continue with PPV offers. So if we're not allowed back in this season, those who bought a ST will be allowed in next season?
We are doing all of that as well. Do you have any more money generating ideas that we are already doing? Next you will suggest selling strips.

They will be allowed in next season if they buy their ticket and fans are allowed back in.

Tbh, my logic is that clubs should never have been selling STs in the first place knowing fans weren't going to be getting in any time soon.
I hear what you are saying, however we would have been bankrupt by now if the st hadn't been sold. We nearly lost the club before, I pray that never happens again. Even if they told us we wouldn't get in this season (we had a fair idea that this would happen anyway) I would still have bought my ticket.

This is a decent idea.

If we get through on Thursday you'd hope they would give us some sort of discount on the home game in the play off.
I actually think they will charge you for the home non season ticket game if you signed up for this. - and then offer the chance to view through VST. In Exactly same way as they have season ticket purchases

We are doing all of that as well. Do you have any more money-generating ideas that we are already doing? Next you will suggest selling strips.

They will be allowed in next season if they buy their ticket and fans are allowed back in.

So the folk that bought tickets to guarantee their seat this season might not actually have their seat guaranteed?

I hear what you are saying, however we would have been bankrupt by now if the st hadn't been sold. We nearly lost the club before, I pray that never happens again. Even if they told us we wouldn't get in this season (we had a fair idea that this would happen anyway) I would still have bought my ticket.

Then there's something seriously wrong with the way we are being run.

That's in a normal season. I think the Club should be offering something extra to ST holders - an away European qualifier doesn't seem like a lot.
Unfortunately every penny counts more than ever. These are games that unless you had Premier Sports you wouldn't see but there is an opportunity for those who can afford it to get much needed cash into the club and stave off the inevitable! There may be backers and investors filling gaps but in a global crisis it is likely they will be looking at their outgoings and cutting cloth to suit. We all need to do our part where we can and unfortunately individuals will suffer from this but for the greater good we need to keep our club afloat because going back to 2012 isn't worth thinking about!

Why is this a debate EL is not included on ST i never expected it and happy to pay £10 they same way I would have paid £30 or whatever for the ticket

I don't think we can sell VST

Only option is the PPV option single or group together once the TV selection are made

Remember it only a temporary agreement in place for 2020/21

So the folk that bought tickets to guarantee their seat this season might not actually have their seat guaranteed?

Stop being obtuse. It is reserved for them if they wish to buy it at the start of the season and they will be able to sit in it when allowed to by the government.

Back