McGregor should play tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing against McLaughlin who has been solid but I would feel more confident tomorrow with McGregor back in goals.
Keepers done nothing wrong and the team have just conceded the first goals in about 12 games, one of the clean sheets was down to McLaughlin plucking a goalbound header out the top corner. Theres absolutely no reason to be changing anything.

I think McLaughlin will play tomorrow but McGregor will be in the nets on Sunday. Wouldn’t be surprised whatever happened right enough, good problem to have.

Absolutely no qualms with either tomorrow, I think because AM isn’t match sharp he might not be thrown in though.

When it comes to cross balls, I feel far more at ease with McLaughlin as he enjoys coming off his line and either catching or clearing it

McGregor literally stays on his line even when the ball drops in his 6 yard box and it’s the one thing I genuinely hate about his game as it puts us under pressure constantly whenever a ball is whipped in

Good problem to have. McGregor will be in goals tomorrow, McLaughlin Sunday.
McGregors last season and we need to think long term.

When it comes to cross balls, I feel far more at ease with McLaughlin as he enjoys coming off his line and either catching or clearing it

McGregor literally stays on his line even when the ball drops in his 6 yard box and it’s the one thing I genuinely hate about his game as it puts us under pressure constantly whenever a ball is whipped in

Still a great shot stopper and one on one there is not many better - you would fancy he is going to save them at least 50% of the time.

However long low shots and his lack of presence in the box gives me the skitters.

I don’t know who will play tomorrow but I’m sure it will be McLaughlin again come Sunday.

He suits our style of play better in the sense that his distribution is good and he doesn’t shit himself when the ball is passed back to him under any hint of pressure. He’s also better at dealing with balls lumped into our box in that he actually comes off his line to try and collect them.

Still a great shot stopper and one on one there is not many better - you would fancy he is going to save them at least 50% of the time.

However long low shots and his lack of presence in the box gives me the skitters.

Very good point.

I think Shagger should be in goal. You’ll think I’m mad but I think he saves HIV’s first goal with his feet. Those are the kinda saves he makes that makes us love him...the ones he has no right to save. Granted he’s getting on a bit now but get him back in goal please.
Does he make the great save McLaughlin did earlier in the game from Nisbett?...sure it was him
Dont know if he would have to be fair but its all hypothetical

I'd play mclaughlin for tomorrow for his distribution. I like how if the opportunity arises he quickly throws the ball into full backs or midfielders

I think Shagger should be in goal. You’ll think I’m mad but I think he saves HIV’s first goal with his feet. Those are the kinda saves he makes that makes us love him...the ones he has no right to save. Granted he’s getting on a bit now but get him back in goal please.
I think he would have had a similar reaction. The issue was we left them with a spare man in the 6 yard box. It was literally a tap in.

I thought McLaughlin should have saved that one and he did a superman error in the Dundee United? game though it didn't result in a goal. He has done well but I would put Shagger back in for the Willem match.

McGregor will play tomorrow and McLaughlin will play Sunday.

mclaughlin is league goalie until he does something wrong

McGregor for me in the bigger games. Distribution not as good as McLaughlin but in terms of stopping the ball from going in, McGregor is still the best. Plus he has been over the course.

McGregor for me also as he wouldn't have been nutmegged for the first goal at Easter road.

McLaughlin comes off his line and is better with ball at feet, hes been great since day one. I'd be happy with him starting tonight. Greegs is a brilliant keeper dont get me wrong and if hes starting tonight then great but we should be gradually easing him out now as he gets close to retirement imo and McLaughlin is the ideal candidate for his replacement based on how well hes started this season

Think McGregor might play as well. Just a hunch that he’ll play cups this season unless something happens to McLaughlin

Why do we need to rotate keepers?

McLaughlin hasn't let us down, he should remain in the goals.

I can't think of any one from Liverpool, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc that feel the need to rotate keepers. You know, clubs that win trophies.

If the team hadn't defended like amateurs at the weekend McLaughlin would still be on a clean sheet.

McGregor wouldn't have saved the Hibs first btw. It wasn't even a mistake anyway.

The McGregor of 10 years ago was a better keeper than McLaughlin. In terms of ability right now — he turns 39 (!) in January ffs — McLaughlin is the more rounded and superior option.

If you want to see a mistake against Hibs, go back and watch McGregor flap at Allan's free-kick in the 2-1 in the game we played them before back in February. Convenient how those calling for him to be reinstated don't bring that up.

McGee got should be out No.1 without question. If he had lost his place due to a dip in form then fair enough, but he has been absolutely brilliant for us since his return. Now he’s fully fit, he should return to the team, especially when we need our strongest team on the park and have an important run of fixtures ahead of us in the run up to the beggars game in October.

McGregor wouldn't have saved the Hibs first btw. It wasn't even a mistake anyway.

The McGregor of 10 years ago was a better keeper than McLaughlin. In terms of ability right now — he turns 39 (!) in January ffs — McLaughlin is the more rounded and superior option.

If you want to see a mistake against Hibs, go back and watch McGregor flap at Allan's free-kick in the 2-1 in the game we played them before back in February. Convenient how those calling for him to be reinstated don't bring that up.
Not a chance mate, McLaughlin is decent but not a patch on McGregor.
He's had very little to do, Wes would have performed as well in this run of games.

Not a chance mate, McLaughlin is decent but not a patch on McGregor.
He's had very little to do, Wes would have performed as well in this run of games.

It's not just that he's had very little to do — he had a lot to do with his save on Sunday anyway — it's the fact he is clearly more dominant in his box and far, far superior playing it out. Generally, he is a much better fit for our style.

McGregor had some big moments for us last year, but he was also ropey as hell at times and was very rarely criticised. At least in comparison to the likes of Goldson and Tav.

It's not just that he's had very little to do — he had a lot to do with his save on Sunday anyway — it's the fact he is clearly more dominant in his box and far, far superior playing it out. Generally, he is a much better fit for our style.

McGregor had some big moments for us last year, but he was also ropey as hell at times and was very rarely criticised. At least in comparison to the likes of Goldson and Tav.
Absolutely right mate.

McGregor always seems to escape criticism for some absolute howlers (Jordan Jones goal, which was a combo of him throwing it in and McAuley continually backing off, yet Worrall cops all the flak for that game for an error 20mins into the match).

I like both keepers. McGregor maybe is a better shot stopper, but Mclaughlin has surprised me with just how good he is, and how well he fits our team. The Jersey is his as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely right mate.

McGregor always seems to escape criticism for some absolute howlers (Jordan Jones goal, which was a combo of him throwing it in and McAuley continually backing off, yet Worrall cops all the flak for that game for an error 20mins into the match).

I like both keepers. McGregor maybe is a better shot stopper, but Mclaughlin has surprised me with just how good he is, and how well he fits our team. The Jersey is his as far as I'm concerned.
• Staunch
• Shouts a lot

Surely you know this by now :))

Thought McLaughlin positioning for the second was suspect the cross was headed in middle of six yard line he should have cane for it my opinion

Absolutely no evidence to support dropping McLaughlin. Love McGregor but that's the way it works for goalies. I view the Europa League as a lower priority and that's the only reason I'd start him.

I would be scouting the Hibs goalie as a replacement for next year

I wouldn't, seemed to be picking the ball out of his net most of the time and would have been doing it more with better finishing

McLauglin wasn't the reason we lost 2 goals on Sunday, don't think McGregor would have got the first either

McGregor wasn't looking up to his normal standards for a lot of last season. I'd probably stick with McLaughlin until he gives a reason not to.

Keepers done nothing wrong and the team have just conceded the first goals in about 12 games, one of the clean sheets was down to McLaughlin plucking a goalbound header out the top corner. Theres absolutely no reason to be changing anything.
I disagree. McGregor is our best keeper our Number 1 and should play we should always play our strongest available side especially in the big games such as away in Europe.

Absolutely right mate.

Seems that people want to believe that McGregor would’ve saved Hibs’ first so they have something to argue the case for their mancrush getting the jersey back

Couldn't agree more. God help JM if he makes an actual mistake.

It does make me laugh reading stuff like "he is by far the better keeper" etc. It's amazing that our management team — you know, the guys who watch both of them play side by side every day — haven't picked up on that. It's almost as if they have logical reasons for preferring McLaughlin.

Shagger played last week against Red Imps and I expect him to play tonight, McLaughlin back on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back