Old Boys of the Brigade

111 th Baillieston.

Scored a freekick against Celtic boys club at Barrowfield circa 1984(no idea what comp we would have been playing them??? ) all the boys came back safe and sound ;-)

edit; I might have a terrible memory and it may have been another team I was playing for???

83rd Mount Florida during the 80's. Great times and fondly remember the bugle band drum section playing the sash whilst on parade - even better when the sheep were going to a game. Was also at the 95th Old Cathcart for a while. Colin Scott was the keeper in the team and went on to play for the famous. Happy days

8th Airdrie, High Street church and where I got married. What a football team we had as well, played all our games on the ash pitch across the road. Brilliant memories.

I’m grateful to be the 4th Generation of my family to be in the BB’s.

Thurso the town where I live is also the birth place of founder Sir William Smith, we have the BB museum and it’s contained in a room dedicated to my Great Grandad who was given a BEM for his service to 1st Thurso.

Sure and Stedfast.

http://www.glasgowstedfastassociation.org.uk/

Reading the latest issue of my parish newsletter I came across an article describing the Glasgow Stedfast Association which is an organisation for former members of the Boys Brigade.

The Stedfast Assocaition was formed so that ex-BB boys can continue to lend their support to the Brigade. I then did a search on the Internet and found some background on the Glasgow Assocaiton in the news section of the Glasgow Battalion website - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/news.asp

You can download a membership form here - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/Stedfast_Membership_Leaflet.pdf - membership costs just £10 a year.

Anyone got picture of the old BB displays/meetings at Ibrox?

100th Anniversary of The Life Boys.

0Evlq54.jpg
That's awesome, thanks for this. Was in the Boys Brigade in total 23 years. From a life boy in the 191 Townhead to teenager and Officer in the 155 in Garngad, Foundry Boys Church. Shaped me as a person. Queens Badge Man and love this organization. Excellent article, thanks Mark

I was in the 44th cardonald, last I heard they were struggling to keep it going.

Would be a shame to lose such an institutional organisation, some great memories from those days.

Friday night daftness, Saturday morning football.
Same. For a year or so if I remember.
Friday night meeting and the football on the Sunday.

183rd Blackfriars Parish Church Dennistoun.

Lifebuoy and Junior Section before leaving the area in 73, loved every minute of it and had a right good team too, league and cup double winners in 72. Was at the centenary service at Ibrox in 83 with the my folks.

247th Anniesland 1967- 1977.
Great times.

When the 252 went down we went to the 247 for a year - but coming from Shafton and walking through Temple in those days was often not the best idea so after a year we all headed up to the 243 at St Margarets at Knightswood Cross.

When the 252 went down we went to the 247 for a year - but coming from Shafton and walking through Temple in those days was often not the best idea so after a year we all headed up to the 243 at St Margarets at Knightswood Cross.
Temple was posh compared to Shafton
What year was that?

Ibrox 163

I can’t remember the full song that started with...
We’re the boys from the 163. Definitely had a line involving evo stick though :))

221st company, Drumchapel. From Lifeboys through to Boys Brigade, officers were Tom Pickering, Sam Gray, Gordon Gallagher and Bert Campbell. Met at Cleddans Primary school every Friday, great memories, a great institution.
76th then moved to 221st because of the football...1967 ish...enjoyed going to the church in knightswood for the table tennis...some great memories.

There also used to be a 112 that was based in the Methodist Church at Liddesdale Sq.
275 in Parkhouse church on broadholm st was my first troop crap team at the time but did have Douggie Freedman in it for a while iirc

Last edited:
Happy Founders Day!

27 October marks the birthday of The Boys’ Brigade’s founder, Sir William Alexander Smith. On this day, we celebrate Founder's Day.

We celebrate Smith’s vision, innovation, his life and all that the BB has achieved in its 137-year history.

We also celebrate the leaders that have followed in Smith’s footsteps who continue to innovate and provide opportunities for children and young people to experience life to the full.

Read more at https://boys-brigade.org.uk/founders-day-2020/

76th then moved to 221st because of the football...1967 ish...enjoyed going to the church in knightswood for the table tennis...some great memories.
Same time as myself, Mr McAusland was the minister of the church. You'll remember Captain Tom Pickering and Sam Gray no doubt

1st Bearsden here. Great times.

My papa had 'Sure & Steadfast' played at his funeral. Loved it.

Loved the Saturday mornings playing football with the 75th Maryhill in Ruchill Park.
Great and lasting memories.

Shawlands had 3 companies. The 151 in Shawlands Cross Church, 9th in the church just across the road and the 45 further down.

Back