Strength on the bench

GF7

That is the strongest bench I can remember in a long time. Our overall squad has increased massively.

Mcglaughlin (International)
Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Defoe (bucket load of international)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)
(and Roofe to come back into squad)

Like for like we were missing similar players to them in Roofe, Aribo and Katic, Aribo got a cameo but had no game time in weeks. We have had injury worries all season so far.

The only players coming into their squad who would maybe have stengthened them today was Edouard and maybe Christie

Yip, very pleasing. Was something that stood out today when the teams were announced. At last, we had quality options on the bench.

Barker played fine, actually did really well to out Kent through on goal in 2nd half.

He was there to add pace but they were so pinned back there was little chance to get in behind.
Maybe it is just me BUT if we want to get to 55 a player playing fine does not cut it. He did absolutely nothing - no mistakes so that is fine but I do not even get the quotes he has pace. Never went by a guy one in all the games he played this year. Aribo back so hopefully see the back of him

That is the strongest bench I can remember in a long time. Our overall squad has increased massively.

Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)

Like for like we were missing similar players to them in Roofe, Aribo and Katic, Aribo got a cameo but had no game time in weeks. We have had injury worries all season so far.

The only players coming into their squad who would maybe have stengthened them today was Edouard and maybe Christie
Very strong.

It wasn’t till I saw that Turkish camera feed for the Galatasaray game, where everything was reversed to what we normally see from a live feed from Ibrox that I completely appreciated the way we play.
The playing out methodically from the back, and the amount of attacking play from our wing backs, and the brilliant midfield play that allows them to ghost into the penalty boxes with ease...and yet I don’t believe we have even hit anywhere near top gear yet!
This has got to be the strongest squad since ‘54.Easy!
The strength in depth is phenomenal, and the best …is yet to come!

We brought on Aribo to get some minutes in his legs. Nothing more than a training game for most part of yesterday :D

Maybe it is just me BUT if we want to get to 55 a player playing fine does not cut it. He did absolutely nothing - no mistakes so that is fine but I do not even get the quotes he has pace. Never went by a guy one in all the games he played this year. Aribo back so hopefully see the back of him
Not every player will be a 9/10 every week. Barker had a role to play yesterday and he fulfilled it adequately, a large part of it is off the ball running, dropping into space and dragging players out of position. He did really well to put Kent through on goal and would have did similar earlier in the game from his own half but was brought down.

Kent didn't particularly hit his heights yesterday either and I wouldn't describe his performance as much better than fine as well. No blame directed to either Barker or Kent though, they had limited space to run into but their movement created space for others.

Barker is most definitely quick, although I agree he hasn't shown his pace enough when playing for us.

Aribo will take time to get back up to speed but I think wanting to see the back of Barker is harsh in the extreme.

Strongest bench we've had for some time.

In the last few seasons, we haven't had anywhere near that depth to turn to.
Mate, it’s totally night and day, as you say, to what we have had. Huge credit must go to Gerrard, the DoF and our scouting staff. We are going in the right direction and things can only get better from here.

An
imagine if ANYONE was playing instead of Barker we would have looked even stronger. STILL cannot see what the manager sees in Him
And that's why you are commenting on a forum like this and not managing our football team.
Not every player in our team can be a 9 out of 10 or a star like Kent. Some need to do the work of keeping shape, closing down, keeping possession without doing anything glamorous.

It’s maybe the strongest bench we‘ve had since Advocaat was at his peak.

Mcleish and Walter worked miracles at times to win us honours as we didn’t have the greatest strength in depth at the time.

Reactions: TQ3
I must say I really can't wait to see Aribo back and skinning players left right and centre

We have so many good players now it really doesn't matter who we play but we need to keep going, unlike those kunts we won't be arrogant and think its over, beat Livi and Killie is the next goal then we move forward from there.

The biggest advantage celtic have had over the last couple of seasons has been having a stronger bench than us I think. The tables have now turned in that respect. We have more quality now than in recent years, hopefully it serves us well.

Yes when I seen who was on the bench I realized it was very strong and it beggars belief how none of these players were in ahead of Brandon Barker.
Just watched the game again and didn't realise how little Barker did in the game.
He gave Kent a good through pass in 52 mins but he should be nowhere near a Rangers team and hopefully wont start on Thursday.

Not every player will be a 9/10 every week. Barker had a role to play yesterday and he fulfilled it adequately, a large part of it is off the ball running, dropping into space and dragging players out of position. He did really well to put Kent through on goal and would have did similar earlier in the game from his own half but was brought down.

Kent didn't particularly hit his heights yesterday either and I wouldn't describe his performance as much better than fine as well. No blame directed to either Barker or Kent though, they had limited space to run into but their movement created space for others.

Barker is most definitely quick, although I agree he hasn't shown his pace enough when playing for us.

Aribo will take time to get back up to speed but I think wanting to see the back of Barker is harsh in the extreme.
Not every week obviously but honestly when has he ever given a 9/10 performance? I keep wanting to be proven wrong by him, hopefully that happens soon, but if it doesn’t no harm to the lad but we need (and do already have) better.

Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)

Strongest bench under Gerrard thus far, and Zungu/Roofe to add, very optimistic moving forward!!

Yes when I seen who was on the bench I realized it was very strong and it beggars belief how none of these players were in ahead of Brandon Barker.
Just watched the game again and didn't realise how little Barker did in the game.
He gave Kent a good through pass in 52 mins but he should be nowhere near a Rangers team and hopefully wont start on Thursday.
The thread with the tactical map diagram shows why Barker plays an important role. He is clearly very tactically disciplined

Not every week obviously but honestly when has he ever given a 9/10 performance? I keep wanting to be proven wrong by him, hopefully that happens soon, but if it doesn’t no harm to the lad but we need (and do already have) better.
If you asked me last season I would have agreed, there has been a marked improvement in him this season though.

When Aribo, Roofe and Zungu are fit I think his game time might be a bit limited.

He is clearly progressing. If Barker hadn't started there would likely be critiscm of Hagi being shovelled into every other thread.
I quite like Barker and feel he gives us something extra plus the boy has pace to burn which is useful,just think at times some of the negativity on here towards him is unfair,plus we pumped them silly yesterday and someone comes on to have a pop at one of the players,folk need to take a day off

I quite like Barker and feel he gives us something extra plus the boy has pace to burn which is useful,just think at times some of the negativity on here towards him is unfair,plus we pumped them silly yesterday and someone comes on to have a pop at one of the players,folk need to take a day off
Exactly, he is clearly earning his starting slot. (although I do think he's keeping it warm for Aribo or Roofe)

I noticed on RTV away days video that the whole bench was out on the park at the end going around congratulating our players, they were all part of it and we clearly have a great togetherness with this group. Defoe and Hagi especially loving it.

An

And that's why you are commenting on a forum like this and not managing our football team.
Not every player in our team can be a 9 out of 10 or a star like Kent. Some need to do the work of keeping shape, closing down, keeping possession without doing anything glamorous.
LOL and that is why you are also commenting and not managing the team like the other 40K on the forum FFS poor argument

That is exactly my point. Our manager knows better than you or me who is the best fit for our team. He has earned that right. He has made mistakes with team selections before and its cost us. Yesterday was not one of those occasions.

To state that anyone would have been better than Barker is a nonsense. He was effective without being outstanding. The team played well together. We played Celtic off the park, and yet you still complain. Some people are never happy.

You don't rate Barker, fair enough. I'm not his biggest fan either. But criticise him when he is bad and or the team don't play well. Otherwise, support your team. Enjoy the win over our biggest rival.
No doubt you will disagree.

Enjoy your night/morning, I'm off to continue revelling in our latest win. Happy fishing, maybe someone else will give you an even bigger bite than me.

And what's fucking mental is Kemar Roofe being out. I hate saying the new signing phrase but he's going to be fucking dynamite for us I can feel it.

I get the exact same feeling about Roofe. Something just tells me he is the icing on the cake. I think he will turn out to be a real Thorne in the games against them when he's back i believe thats when he will come into his own.

Reactions: TQ3
We have done incredibly well qualifying for Europe with Jack Aribo and Roofe all out for a reasonable spell - looking very positive for the season.

It was strength in depth we needed. There was no question of our first 11 being better than theirs, IMO. We have proven it consistently now.

imagine if ANYONE was playing instead of Barker we would have looked even stronger. STILL cannot see what the manager sees in Him
At one point on Saturday, Barker took about 5 Celtic players out of the game and slid Kent through for a 1v1 with the keeper, Ajer did well to get back and stop a sure goal to be fair to him.

Barker isn't some competition winner, he can carry the ball at tremendous pace and is capable of being a good player for us.

The thing with him is that he seems to have a confidence problem, you're not going to help him overcome that by barely playing him, that will have the reverse effect.

It's worth remembering that Barker has only had back to back starts for Rangers 2 or 3 times.

On the Barker debate - one of the biggest attacking threats that lot have is Ajer stepping forward. He only done that once on Saturday, and it was after Barker was benched.

He done his job decently well, and it's worth noting that none of our forward three really came close to their best.

Except when we went by Ajer yesterday to play through Kent.

Try again. But use a little honesty this time. ;)

Latest posts

Back