Wee graphic showing how rangers stopped celtic playing through them

It’s a small example there but perhaps Barkers’ tactical discipline is what’s helping him get the nod this season.

I'm wondering what he brings. His ability to cover a lot of ground and transition from defence to attack at pace could be in the Gaffer's thoughts.

I'm wondering what he brings. His ability to cover a lot of ground and transition from defence to attack at pace could be in the Gaffer's thoughts.
As someone said yesterday, Barker simply being named in the starting XI would make their defenders adopt a more cautious approach, knowing that his pace could hurt them.

He didn't get on the ball much, but his forward run and pass to Kent, which led to the corner before our second goal, was excellent. Need more of that from him. He must show it in training but feel he needs to be more confident in doing it when it really matters.

Last edited:
We've been playing like that for a long time against teams in Europe and against them. Infact the only reason they changed to a 3-5-2 was because they tried to combat it after the new year game.

Watch any of our European performances under Gerrard.....the running and concentration levels of the two wider central midfielders (SA and GK yesterday) is something else. They do their job in midfield up also monitor the opposition wing backs.

I reckon we must constantly work on shape

As someone said yesterday, Barker simply being named in the starting XI would make their defenders adopt a more cautious approach, knowing that his pace could hurt them.

He didn't get on the ball much, but his pass forward run and pass to Kent, which led to the corner before our second goal, was excellent. Need more of that from him. He must show it in training but feel he needs to be more confident in doing it when it really matters.

I dont know who said it but apparently he's outstanding during training. I think he's worth persevering with but so is Jones.

Seems to me that what is happening under Gerrard is a perfect example of what is possible if you stick with a manager and allow him to build something over a period of time.

We look unrecognisable at the moment from where we were pre-lockdown and our recruitment has been utterly fucking excellent this summer.

Still think we are 2 players away from being absolute certs for the title (one of whom may very well be Zungu).

We NEED to keep winning. My only fear is that the mentally challengeds utterly disintegrate and they make a managerial change while they still have time to make an impact. To be truthful I'd prefer them to implode in February/ March when it's too late to do fùck all about it

It reminds me of something I noticed in the 90s with AC Milan. No matter where the ball went with the opposition, Milan were always covering/hunting in packs.

Without becoming hyperbolic, we are incredibly well coached. Of course we will have our off days, but they will become rarer and rarer as the quality of squad is increased and the continuation of the work clearly being taken on the training ground.

Almost like bar football the way we shuffle from side to side. Requires focus and 100% concentration.

The key for me is how quickly we can break from that tight, disciplined format into a swift flowing attack. I’ll be glad to see Aribo back, he will help Kent with that.

Seems to me that what is happening under Gerrard is a perfect example of what is possible if you stick with a manager and allow him to build something over a period of time.

We look unrecognisable at the moment from where we were pre-lockdown and our recruitment has been utterly fucking excellent this summer.

Still think we are 2 players away from being absolute certs for the title (one of whom may very well be Zungu).

We NEED to keep winning. My only fear is that the mentally challengeds utterly disintegrate and they make a managerial change while they still have time to make an impact. To be truthful I'd prefer them to implode in February/ March when it's too late to do fùck all about it

Agree that we need to be consistent and ruthless.

On your point about them, if things start to go tits up soon, who would they bring in to replace TLB? His was a lazy appointment at a time when they could have shown real ambition after Rodgers upped and left. I don't think they'd be able to attract anyone with a genuine pedigree at this point, and I can't think of any of their ex-players (i.e. those with an emotional attachment) who have done well in the world of management and could work successfully with the squad the bigot has assembled.

Agree that we need to be consistent and ruthless.

On your point about them, if things start to go tits up soon, who would they bring in to replace TLB? His was a lazy appointment at a time when they could have shown real ambition after Rodgers upped and left. I don't think they'd be able to attract anyone with a genuine pedigree at this point, and I can't think of any of their ex-players (i.e. those with an emotional attachment) who have done well in the world of management and could work successfully with the squad the bigot has assembled.
Depends what they are willing to spend. Nobody knows how rabid they are at boardroom level for "the 10". They still harp on about Benitez, who admittedly has been making noises about wanting to get out of China as he's made a rip roaring cùnt of it and is in the relegation playoffs with his club out there - he's out of contract next year on a deal worth £1m per month so compensation would be due (although apparently he is not well liked out there so whether a deal could be done is up for debate). Reckon he will end up back in English football though.

Likely new appointments are limited it has to be said. But all depends on how deep they are willing to dig financially. They were paying Rodgers 70 grand a week, which was triggered by creepy Dermot being pissed off after our directors made them look like cùnts after the cup semi final. Vanity project which cost them a fucking fortune, but they pushed the boat out to get him. My concern is they'd do it again - not necessarily for Benitez but for someone who would come in and do a better job than TLB.

Last edited:
All good, but I can't help but wonder how that helps us against the 11 behind the ball dross which is the rest of the SPFL.

Think done the same (animation) after the Galatasaray game I think it was, and we were exactly the same so disciplined and everybody knows were they need to be. He speaks quite a lot about when we're not in possession and the work we need to do

Credit due to everyone who created the system and has worked so hard on making it work. Hopefully it can bring us success now in the form of trophies

All good, but I can't help but wonder how that helps us against the 11 behind the ball dross which is the rest of the SPFL.
A graphic showing how well we retain our shape and defend against Celtic when they have possession has f*** all to do with that though.

Actually says in the article that Barker was likely picked because he had the extra fortnight while his team mates were on international duty to practice playing against the system in training
What that tells me is if that was the case then TLB’s team selection was known well in advance and not the previous night :))

Seriously though, the input our back room staff put into this probably straight after our league game prior to international week is tremendous.

I dont know who said it but apparently he's outstanding during training. I think he's worth persevering with but so is Jones.
Andy Halliday said this in one of the open goal shows. I've discussed this with my old man. I sometimes struggle to see the benefit of Barker but after paying more attention to graphics like this, listening to pods, being more exposed to tactical explanations, you can see how vital it is that we have disciplined players who can follow the system when we don't have the ball.

We are so well coached and every player knows their role and play it to a tee, it also makes a mockery of the doolally who slate Morelos calling him a liability and saying get rid even off the back of a win at Parkhead, yet he follows the tactical plan to the letter.

Our problems aren’t or haven’t been against sides were tactics work, shape etc, they are against the types of sides in Scotland where tactics don’t really matter and it’s just a case of breaking down a whole team defence.

That back 4 is like a machine now. Beautiful to watch.
high-angle-closeup-of-fussball-picture-id977230614

Back