Penalties a nonsense now

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Watched a lot of football this weekend, and MOTD2 now...lots of penalties and almost all very obscure, technical, or frankly not a penalty (based on me being old!). Do 'the kids of today' like this? Is the emphasis on awarding lots of penalties good as it rewards attacking teams ?

If you look at any corner kick, in the way that the rules were interpreted for the Palace penalty today, you will see 4 penalties and 4 free-kicks for the defending team.

It is then a lottery which one they choose to punish.

I think we’re on the verge of making a mess of football, between penalties and people being offside by the difference between a size 9 and size 10 boot.

VAR needs dialled back a bit immediately and the handball rules need relaxed.

I hate what football is becoming. At least we don’t have VAR in Scotland. I was a fan, given the terrible officials in Scotland but watching the Liverpool Everton game yesterday, it shows officials can still ignore the rules and make it up as they go along. There needs to be proper accountability and offside decisions need to be made by the officials on the field, in real time, as technology is not up to scratch.

My fantasy team got four in one week a couple of weeks back, all 4 coming after lengthy VAR checks, a couple of them in the last minute as well and all converted.
Love it! :)

Handball rule is a complete disaster and some of the off side calls defy belief like Liverpools goal yesterday ,especially when they choose to ignore the assault on VVD .And i'm not a Pool fan in any way.Just stating the obvious .
What always bugs me is that a foul outside the box is often not judged the same inside to award a penalty.
A foul is a foul no matter where it is on the pitch and a foul in the box is a penalty .Yet we always hear pundits say not enough in it for a penalty. When did the rules change on awarding a foul .
Nothing to do with VAR right enough .
The handball thing is just stupid and the rule was fine for donkeys years before. Deliberate hand ball .How can you deliberately hand a ball if its blasted at you from 2 yards away.Crazy
Arms in an unnatural position .WTF is that about .I ll tell you what is unnatural .Trying to run with your arms tied to your torso .

It’s really just who they decide to give a penalty to at any corner kick.

The jostling is ridiculous. Perhaps the attacking team shouldn't be allowed in the 6 yard box until the kick is taken. That would certainly stop an attacker from blocking the goalkeeper.

Put it this way, if VAR was ditched it wouldn't be missed. All that is happening is that we are complaining about the VAR officials instead of complaining about the on field officials. Furthermore VAR slows down the game which annoys everyone, ditch it.

Last edited:
I think we’re on the verge of making a mess of football, between penalties and people being offside by the difference between a size 9 and size 10 boot.

This is the problem, not VAR.

I don’t know why they can’t give an indirect freekick in the box for clear accidental handball. Accidental hand ball being 90%+ of cases these days.

The handball rule needs to revert back to what it was.

The technology isn't accurate enough to be making offside decisions based on millimetres.

The EPL has made a mess of VAR by getting it to ref the minutiae of every single game. Clear and obvious errors was the initial aim.

I hate the diving feckers who throw themselves to the ground at the slightest touch especially the feckers who go down clutching their faces or heads as if they had been bottled. If I was ref I would have cards for marks out of 10 for some of the performances. Makes thumbheids decision not to fall over shagger all the more remarkable given some of the play acting that goes on.

I hate the diving feckers who throw themselves to the ground at the slightest touch especially the feckers who go down clutching their faces or heads as if they had been bottled. If I was ref I would have cards for marks out of 10 for some of the performances. Makes thumbheids decision not to fall over shagger all the more remarkable given some of the play acting that goes on.
Was like Helder Costa last night has an arm across him inside the box and he falls over. Think VAR checked it and never gave the penalty so what I don't get is why VAR don't go back to ref and say its a dive so book him for it?

Saw Utds penalty yesterday and there wasn't much contact on Rashford yet he falls over like he was shot.

I wouldn't judge the use of VAR based on the EPL either they're making a complete mess of it.

It works well in rugby union where there are experienced adjudicators reviewing any incident called up by the ref ,or officials ,and talk it through with the ref as they review it. Especially if you have a highly competent and respected ref like Nigel Owen.

The Crystal Palace pen today was farcical. If a professional athlete can fall so dramatically after such minimal contact and the VAR viewing Nancy boy thinks that was a foul we are done with football being an actual sport.
This is why VAR won’t work in Scotland.

If it’s left to the interpretation of referees, especially the cheats and halfwits we employ, it will simply become another aspect of the game that can be twisted to suit an agenda.

I’m convinced the Yahoos’ winner in last season’s League Cup final would still have been given if we’d had VAR in place.

That’s the level of cheating I’m expecting to see if it’s ever implemented up here.

Var is the slow death of football as we know and love it. Its the next stage to American stop start sports with plenty of adverts.

The penalty that was awarded to Palace was a joke.

The every time a goal is scored searching for anything no matter how small to chop it off is not football.

We’ve gone way beyond that verge . If I didn’t love Rangers I wouldn’t watch modern football . It’s a shadow of the crackling ebb and flow game it once was .

Var is the slow death of football as we know and love it. Its the next stage to American stop start sports with plenty of adverts.

The penalty that was awarded to Palace was a joke.

The every time a goal is scored searching for anything no matter how small to chop it off is not football.
What does this even mean mate?

The Liverpool winner the other day summed up everything wrong with var

Last edited:
VAR itself isn't the issue, the issue is how the authorities define the laws of the game and dictate how VAR is to be used.

The authorities also dictated to referees how the laws of the game should be interpreted.

As a poster said above the game has replaced arguments about refereeing decisions with arguments about VAR decisions. All this whilst slowing the game down at great expense.

Joy or despair in the moment is what football is all about for me. Sucking this emotion out of the game is anti-football IMO.

So you don't like the offside rule or the handball rule.

VAR just makes sure they're enforced
Not like that at all mate, var is imo wasting football. I for one im glad we don't have it here.

Plus there's no point in it with the amount of mistakes it still makes. The Palace pen, the Everton gk not being sent off. As I said its turning football into something I don't like.

I think it has totally ruined football. Should be kept for proper game changing or wrong decisions that the other team feel aggrieved by. Such as the Thierry Henry handball against Ireland that saw them not go to the World Cup. I enjoyed their pain but it was cheating and VAR should be used for that sort of stuff. I think every team should be given 3 VAR calls to use them when they want and just let the ref and assistants get on with it. Team calls VAR, clock stops and it’s checked by the ref at the side. If it goes to ET each team gets 1 more call.

VAR itself isn't the issue, the issue is how the authorities define the laws of the game and dictate how VAR is to be used.
This. VAR was wanted so it would reduce bad decisions. It's done the opposite. As much as we get bad calls from refs up here I don't want to see VAR until it can be used properly. In fact i don't want to see it in football until it is clear how it is to be implemented.

I'm still at a loss as to how Man was offside at the weekend.

“There was contact“ does my fkng box right in.

What we are seeing in England is exactly why I don’t want VAR to be introduced here. I am comfortable that decisions will be wrong now and again.

Back