Cops chance to score right before Roofes goal

It was a heart in mouth situation.

I felt confident tho. I saw McGregor save a similar chance against Bremen so was very confident.

Would have been a sickener after the chances we (or Alfie) had missed. Thankfully the waterlogged pitch came to the rescue and the rest is history,

I dont know why so many have it down as a tap in. He was closed down very quickly so even if he controls the ball he has to get it out his feet which isnt easy with the waterlogged pitch then get enough behind it to get through Tav and McGregor or take the ball past Tav first. Given there was only a minute left he might not have had enough time to run the ball a few yards on that pitch. :D

Very fine lines.

What could/should have been a 1-1 game and an extension of their unbeaten run turned into a 2-0 victory for us and an end to their run!

.......and all the social media plaudits and publicity that comes with THAT goal :))

We had a very similar piece of luck in Europe before - but not directly

Our draw with Inter when we made the last 16 of the CL . Artmedia were playing Porto(i think). pitch was a total mud bath and they had a chance to score in the last min but the ball stuck in the mud before the player could score from about a yard out .

I remember being at Ibrox, most people still in the stadium waiting on the final whistle of that game. A big roar when it was over and we qualified, little did I know just how close to heartbreak we were that night until I saw the highlights

We had a very similar piece of luck in Europe before - but not directly

Our draw with Inter when we made the last 16 of the CL . Artmedia were playing Porto(i think). pitch was a total mud bath and they had a chance to score in the last min but the ball stuck in the mud before the player could score from about a yard out .

I remember being at Ibrox, most people still in the stadium waiting on the final whistle of that game. A big roar when it was over and we qualified, little did I know just how close to heartbreak we were that night until I saw the highlights
The Artmedia player knocked the ball past the keeper and it stuck in the pitch, before he could get his shot away Pepe basically jumped on his back and the ref never gave the penalty either.

In our game Namouchi had also missed a sitter of a header a few yards out with a couple of minutes left that wouldve meant the Porto result didn't matter.

The conditions were horrible for both teams, we had to adapt to the conditions and Roofe showed them how.. Just glad we never suffered any long time injuries (Borna I hope is just minor) due to missed timed tackles, if that was a league game it would have been stopped.

Yeah, the weather came to our aid there I think.

There was an incident just before where they played one through which skidded off the grass and into McGregors hands. If that had stuck the way other balls were doing then it would have gone in their favour and provided a chance.

It would have been so easy to be on the wrong end of one of these.

As soon as I seen the space he had I thought it was going to in the back of the net, 30 seconds later and Roofe is scoring the best goal I've seen. What a week!

If Morelos had finished either of the two sitters he missed then we’d have been out of sight anyway.
Calling either of them sitters is ridiculous. The one he took a really bad touch was a better chance than the other but it still isnt a sitter. If he controls it hes at a tight angle with the keeper narrowing it further, its a good chance and he should be doing much better with it but calling either of those chances sitters is down to how pissed off we are as fans with Morelos and his form just now.

Definitely fine margins, but I'd have been gutted if they'd scored as I'd argue the only reason they got a chance is the game become scrappy due to the rain.

Up til then they'd caused us no major problems, so it would have felt harsh to drop points that late.

Very fine lines.

What could/should have been a 1-1 game and an extension of their unbeaten run turned into a 2-0 victory for us and an end to their run!

.......and all the social media plaudits and publicity that comes with THAT goal :))

This board would have been a very different place had we drawn the game. It would have bordered on carnage on here. Wrong team, wrong tactics, wrong substitutions and on and on. Players who are rightly being lauded would be getting slaughtered for exactly the same performance. Football fans, and I am no different, are a fickle bunch.

Was going to post this too. Kent was off and running a couple of times only for the ball to stop dead under his feet.

Aye right through the middle of the two central defenders and would have been going clean through on goal then the ball ended up two yards behind him.

Pitch condition at that stage played a big part in it, he was expecting the ball to bounce up instead it skidded under his foot. We coped better with the conditions and that's why we ran out winners in the end I would say.
I would say the weather was a leveller. Up until the rain we were in control but not so much when the pitch was flooded.

This board would have been a very different place had we drawn the game. It would have bordered on carnage on here. Wrong team, wrong tactics, wrong substitutions and on and on. Players who are rightly being lauded would be getting slaughtered for exactly the same performance. Football fans, and I am no different, are a fickle bunch.

A draw wouldn’t have been the worst result in the world.

A lot of people would’ve been happy with a draw before a ball was kicked.

All water under the bridge now though. We know only too well that the only stat that matters is that we score more goals than the opposition.

Shat myself at that moment tbh, but the weather played a massive part in that second half, great result. Bring on the Poles.

My heart could barely take the rapid change of emotions. I thought when the ball went over it was going to be 1-1 and it’s heart in mouth stuff, then seconds later my mind was blown.

as he was going to try and control the ball i'm almost sure that Tav gets to him before he gets a shot off
Tav had let him away but he was closing in on him just as he tried to control it. Ah well we missed several chances so we deserved the win. I thought Standard Liege were quite a good team and a fine win by us.

Last edited:
Tav would have been getting absolute pelters for drifting in and losing his man.
Fine margins football. Although Tav played very well he had one of his defensive lapses, and if the Belgian scores he gets the blame. It goes under his foot, we break up the field and score the goal of the decade, what are the chances of that happening? I actually thought that when the flood came it would be good if no one scored as it was a lottery, giving us a 1-0 win, but I'll take the 2-0 and a goal that will never be forgotten.

I was raging that we gave them that last chance,I thought our ball retention for that last minute or so was poor.

Back