David White - where did it go wrong?

BomberBrownFan

For any Bears who were there at the time, is it too simplistic to say that he was simply overwhelmed by the job and by Stein as well?

Interested to know if he was on a hiding to nothing from the start or whether other factors were at play.

Remember my uncle saying the atmosphere at the Gornik Zabre match was properly mutinous.

Random thread I know but reading the 50 Greatest Games book and his name came up.

My old man told me in the past it was unfortunate timing for him due to their dominance as i asked the same question

Interested to hear what those who disapproved of Barry Ferguson and Andy Halliday's remarks on Caixinha think regards Willie Waddell openly undermining "the boy David" in the media at the time? Was it seen as disrespectful, or was it welcomed?
Was there a significant portion who believed White needed more time?

White was unlucky in his first season not to win the title but dropping points v Dundee Utd and Morton in the last 6 game run in cost us the league tbh. The team only lost once in the league that season v Aberdeen in the last game at Pittodrie but even if we had won that game we would still have finished second as that mob from the east end had a superior goal average.

Waddell being snide
I think Scot Symon was the manager at that time. The main reason was probably Celtic had their best ever team . Also Waddle wanted the Rangers job and the press gave White a hard time. I would also say White did not come across as very good on the media ,even tho' media was pretty limited at the time compared to present times.

I'm pretty sure his one on one game stats against Stein were positive(help me out clued up Bears).

Hard fact to swallow was that Celtc were a very good side and as someone who lived through that era it's painful to admit.

As for the Gornik game( Lubanski was brilliant for them), I walked past the main entrance after the game with my Old Man, Uncles, and Brother and the size and anger of the crowd was scary for a ten year old.

Another memory is that the peerless Lex McLean would pillory Davie White in his act but it was nothing to the evisceration Willie Waddell conducted on him in his newspaper column(think it was the daily Express).

For any Bears who were there at the time, is it too simplistic to say that he was simply overwhelmed by the job and by Stein as well?

Interested to know if he was on a hiding to nothing from the start or whether other factors were at play.

Remember my uncle saying the atmosphere at the Gornik Zabre match was properly mutinous.

Random thread I know but reading the 50 Greatest Games book and his name came up.
We were well beaten by Lubanski’s Gornik that night at Ibrox, even after Jim Baxter put us in the lead with a right foot shot.

Some newspapers pre match emphasized the point that Rangers had never won a European tie after losing the first leg by a two goal margin - no pressure Davie White!

The Chairman & Directors in the second half of the match, witnessed not just a comprehensive defeat, but thousands of Rangers fans, (started from the old derry) chanting Gornik, Gornik, Gornik.
It wasn’t a pretty site :(

Interested to hear what those who disapproved of Barry Ferguson and Andy Halliday's remarks on Caixinha think regards Willie Waddell openly undermining "the boy David" in the media at the time? Was it seen as disrespectful, or was it welcomed?
Waddell intensified the pressure on White with his reporting and criticism of him in his newspaper articles, simply because he had his eye on the managers job himself. Waddells conduct at the time was disgraceful and actually harmed the progress of the club under White at the time, Imo.

Waddell deliberately undermined him.

Willie Waddell and his Boy David quote put the nail in the coffin and Davy Whites comment about not prepared to, Sit in the Managers Chair. Looking back now I think a comparison could be Warburton, to big a job, with Waddell hovering in the background.

The Gornik result, whilst disappointing was not actually that bad. Polish football was on the up around that time. I mean only 2 years previous, the Evening Times described as embarrassing the defeat to Bayern in the CWC Final. Bayern were to go on to be a great European team, whilst a couple of years later the Polish national side were to deny England a place in the World Cup finals.

I'm pretty sure his one on one game stats against Stein were positive(help me out clued up Bears).

Hard fact to swallow was that Celtc were a very good side and as someone who lived through that era it's painful to admit.

As for the Gornik game( Lubanski was brilliant for them), I walked past the main entrance after the game with my Old Man, Uncles, and Brother and the size and anger of the crowd was scary for a ten year old.

Another memory is that the peerless Lex McLean would pillory Davie White in his act but it was nothing to the evisceration Willie Waddell conducted on him in his newspaper column(think it was the daily Express).
I haven’t got all the stats at hand, but Davie White was our Manager when we went to the piggery in September 1968, and won 4-2. I was at that match, was a brilliant afternoon.

I was at the Gornik Zabre game at Ibrox and even after all these years I still remember how down everyone was. The season hadn’t long started but it felt shite.

I think Scot Symon was the manager at that time. The main reason was probably Celtic had their best ever team . Also Waddle wanted the Rangers job and the press gave White a hard time. I would also say White did not come across as very good on the media ,even tho' media was pretty limited at the time compared to present times.
White was the manager when Waddell started his criticism, his 'boy David' comments about a Rangers manager were very disrespectful.

I’m not disputing the fact that Celtic were a good side in those days and there’s an ongoing narrative about the brilliance of the much ballyhooed ‘67 Euro cup winning side.
There’s almost however a Parkhead style cover up of their defence of the trophy. It started in August ‘67, just a couple of months after the Lisbon final.
They were knocked out in the first round by a team who were themselves knocked out the second round.

White was unlucky in his first season not to win the title but dropping points v Dundee Utd and Morton in the last 6 game run in cost us the league tbh. The team only lost once in the league that season v Aberdeen in the last game at Pittodrie but even if we had won that game we would still have finished second as that mob from the east end had a superior goal average.
Was sheep game not Ibrox, they were at hampden.
davie whites team played really good football.

T

The right guy at the wrong time.

I’m not disputing the fact that Celtic were a good side in those days and there’s an ongoing narrative about the brilliance of the much ballyhooed ‘67 Euro cup winning side.
There’s almost however a Parkhead style cover up of their defence of the trophy. It started in August ‘67, just a couple of months after the Lisbon final.
They were knocked out in the first round by a team who were themselves knocked out the second round.
Dynamo Kiev knocked them out in the first round in 1967/68

I remember my father & uncle saying - if he'd won a trophy in his first season he'd have been manager for at least a decade

The idea that the mentally challengeds were streets ahead of us at that time is sheer nonsense imo

& much as waddell made enormous progress later - for which I'll be eternally grateful - his hatchet job on DW as a hack at the Express will always be inexcusable imo

In fact I'd go as far as to say he'd fit in well amongst the current crop of dishonest, talentless, cowardly tossers we suffer here in the present day - maybe it's the nature of the job & comes with the territory of so-called journalism in Scotland??

Did Rangers play Gornik again in Europe?

I was at the first game at Ibrox but cant believe it was back in 1974.

We played a lot of very good football under David White. I will always look on him as a manager who had very little luck in important games when it really mattered. Missed penalties, goalkeeping blunders, shots kicked off the line; they are all in there and had he had the luck for even one of those breaks to go our way, his time at Ibrox could have been a lot different and a lot longer.

I was only young at the time so I wasn’t aware of the ins and outs of it all but my recollection is that the board saw big Ba’Face turning things round at the Piggery, decided we needed one of those new-fangled “tracksuit managers”, saw Davie White had a good season with Clyde and decided “he’ll do”.
Don’t know if Waddell had a personal problem with White or just felt that given he had himself won the title with Killie, he was a better option. As it turned out Waddell couldn’t stop Big Ba’Face and only won us one domestic trophy along of course with the ECWC.

Am I correct in thinking that when White was sacked we were top of the league?

67-68 2-2
68-69 0-2 , 0 -1 LC grp
68-69 4-2 , 1-0
68-69 0-4 SCF
69-70 2-1, 0-1 LC grp
69-70 0-1.

I was only young at the time so I wasn’t aware of the ins and outs of it all but my recollection is that the board saw big Ba’Face turning things round at the Piggery, decided we needed one of those new-fangled “tracksuit managers”, saw Davie White had a good season with Clyde and decided “he’ll do”.
Don’t know if Waddell had a personal problem with White or just felt that given he had himself won the title with Killie, he was a better option. As it turned out Waddell couldn’t stop Big Ba’Face and only won us one domestic trophy along of course with the ECWC.

Am I correct in thinking that when White was sacked we were top of the league?
That was Scot Symon, we were a point ahead of Dundee at the time

The draws at Dun utd and Morton, paid for the league in 67/68, yet a draw on the last game of the season would have put us ahead on points, meaning the filth had to win at Dunfermline.

The history books show they did, but they were under no pressure. Goal average and indeed difference meant that with our defeat on the Saturday, they only had to show up and even a defeat would have seen them win the league.

Waddell intensified the pressure on White with his reporting and criticism of him in his newspaper articles, simply because he had his eye on the managers job himself. Waddells conduct at the time was disgraceful and actually harmed the progress of the club under White at the time, Imo.
Correct, that's how I remember it

He should have got more time. We threw the league away that season with a 3-3 draw at Morton who played out their skins that night and actually led 2-0 at one stage if I remember correctly.

I do remember Willie Waddell's piece in the Daily Express the day after White was sacked. The headline was "Why The Boy David Had To Go".

In 67/68 we drew 0-0 at Tannadice then 3-3 at Morton, coming from 3-1 down before losing 3-2 to Aberdeen at Ibrox in the last game. In 68/69 we were going like a train beating Clyde, St Mirren by 6-0 then Aberdeen in the semi by 6-1 as well as Atletic Bilbao 4-1 in the Fairs Cities Cup (UEFA Cup). Colin Stein got his legendary 6-week suspension but equally, if not worse, Bobby Watson suffered a broken leg in training. Bobby was the best tackler i have ever seen, even better than Tom Forsyth, and we missed that and his drive. We did not lose very often when Bobby played. In that era Murdoch and Auld were outstanding for Celtic in midfield but Bobby was too strong for them and used to dominate them.

They were knocked out in the first round by a team who were themselves knocked out in the second round - by Gornik Zabrze

I haven’t got all the stats at hand, but Davie White was our Manager when we went to the piggery in September 1968, and won 4-2. I was at that match, was a brilliant afternoon.

We also beat them 1-0 at Ibrox in the Ne'erday game that season(Greig penalty), a score that flattered the scum. So we took maximum points from the OF games but still finished 5 points behind them at the end.
It was to get worse though. Deflated we lost the Cup Final in that ignominious 0-4 defeat a few days later.

I had a really tough childhood. :(

We also beat them 1-0 at Ibrox in the Ne'erday game that season(Greig penalty), a score that flattered the scum. So we took maximum points from the OF games but still finished 5 points behind them at the end.
It was to get worse though. Deflated we lost the Cup Final in that ignominious 0-4 defeat a few days later.

I had a really tough childhood. :(
Think I had the same childhood as yourself! :)
It didn’t help Davie White in 1968/69 when we lost Colin Stein for a few weeks at a vital part of the season.
I was at that match against Clyde on the 15th March 1969, when he was sent off, and I was also at that disastrous 0-4 cup final defeat :(

Aberdeen game was at Ibrox. Seem to recall Sorensen in goal for us that day was poor.

Think I had the same childhood as yourself! :)
It didn’t help Davie White in 1968/69 when we lost Colin Stein for a few weeks at a vital part of the season.
I was at that match against Clyde on the 15th March 1969, when he was sent off, and I was also at that disastrous 0-4 cup final defeat :(

Same as myself.

Wasn't fun being a ten year old at the time.

Back