Would we have won the 93 CL Final?

Would we have won?

• Yes (Rangers would have won)

• No (Milan would have beaten us)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lost 0-3 in the first leg, won 4-1 in the second which was ruled 3-0 on a technicality.

Won 1-0 in a play off in the Nou Camp on a Friday night infront of about 10,000 people.
Thank you Sir :) Surprised I remembered even part of that after nearly 30 years !!

Reactions: SDF
It still astonishes me how Rangers took the corruption discovered during the semi-final so weakly. Any other club in our position would have played up merry hell. Imagine that had happened to Man Utd or Liverpool?
What semi final ? There wasnt any semi final.

Lost 0-3 in the first leg, won 4-1 in the second which was ruled 3-0 on a technicality.

Won 1-0 in a play off in the Nou Camp on a Friday night infront of about 10,000 people.
I had it in my head it was 4-0 for Stuttgart but I remember they dismantled Leeds in the first leg.i actually remember watching the play off and wanting Leeds to win so that we would be playing them.i am certain that Leeds were a non seeded time like ourselves but when the draw was made Stuttgart were a seeded team and still in the tournament

From memory Leeds hadn't started the season too badly, but losing to us in both games, particularly the Elland Rd fixture (they hadn't lost at home for over a year I think) just derailled them totally.

Cantona leaving for man u was a big factor too.

I had it in my head it was 4-0 for Stuttgart but I remember they dismantled Leeds in the first leg.i actually remember watching the play off and wanting Leeds to win so that we would be playing them.i am certain that Leeds were a non seeded time like ourselves but when the draw was made Stuttgart were a seeded team and still in the tournament

I believe you're correct. The tickets for the first leg at Ibrox had Rangers v Stuttgart/Leeds printed on them

On paper, I reckon Milan would have beaten us pretty comfortably. They were an excellent side around that era and I remember being very surprised when Marseille won the final. It still bugs me to this day that we never really went for Marseille after Durrant's equaliser. They were rattled by it and there for the taking but we were far too cautious and seemed content to settle for a draw and stay in it. In what was effectively a semi final, it was our big chance to push on and sieze the moment. Would love to ask Walter if he has any regrets about that.

There’s always a rush to don the blue tinted specs for this old chestnut.

People conveniently overlook that the only two wins we recorded in the group were courtesy of a pair of outrageous deflections while Milan won all six of their games losing just one goal in the process.

We could have won, but it would have been one of the all time great upsets.

It still baffles me to some extent how fairly simple administrative processes can go tits up. Legia Warsaw & Roma are two recent examples, surely someone on the bench or in the dug out must have realised.

The Stuttgart manager admitted he made an arse of it if I remember. Stuttgart also claimed that leeds played 4 foreigners as well. They had Cantona, Strachan and Gary Mac but also Gary Speed who was a Welsh international. Was a daft rule that.

The Stuttgart manager admitted he made an arse of if I remember. Stuttgart also claimed that leeds played 4 foreigners as well. They had Cantona, Strachan and Gary Mac but also Gary Speed who was a Welsh international. Was a daft rule that.
My football knowledge is good, but I’ve never noticed leeds had 4 foreigners playing. Anyone able to explain how they ‘didn’t’. Like I said I’m usually a bit of a know-it-all but I have no answer or idea either this one :))

While Milan might have been favourites, based on their reputation. I believe we would have given anyone a run for their money. No surrender. Therefore we could have beaten them.

My football knowledge is good, but I’ve never noticed leeds had 4 foreigners playing. Anyone able to explain how they ‘didn’t’. Like I said I’m usually a bit of a know-it-all but I have no answer or idea either this one :))

You could play 3 foreigners and 2 assimilated players, I.e spent more than 5 years in that particular country.

I suppose that makes sense, makes the use of the term “foreigner” rather loose right enough :).
Agreed. I seem to remember a slight rule change after that where players who'd been with a club for 5 (?) Years were classed as no longer foreign?
Does that ring a bell ?

It was the year BP shut the Glasgow office and moved some of us up to Aberdeen. There was a good sized group that moved up. The sheep hated us, they were as bad with the tims. There weren't many friendly bars, the Crown Hotel was always good. What a season it was! Time for another like that

Fairly sure no-ones

4 foreigners, 3 foreigner rule was in place
Well remembered! Had totally forgotten about that. Now I remember, I think that was why we replaced Woods with Goram, and also ended up sometimes playing with some Scottish players in Europe who were not 1st picks domestically.

That Milan side were a great team. I doubt that we would have beat them but over 90 minutes with the spirit we had then it would have been possible.

Back