Calvin Bassey

Zwingli'sSausages

Really impressed with this boy so far. He looks the real deal and has looked very good each time he’s been on the pitch. I no longer have the fear if Borna’s out injured or needs rested.

If I’m honest, I thought he would be mainly playing with the development team, but he’s stepped up when needed and looks a real talent.

There is just bundles of potential there, if we could bring some of Borna’s finesse into his game, he could be a star.

Obviously very different player to Borna. We can't expect him to fire in crosses and get the assists Borna gets but he looks good so far.

A bit off topic but I also thought SL’s left back / wingback looked a player the other evening. Maybe worth keeping an eye on if we ever decided to cash in on Borna.

Brilliant potential. Very happy he's the cover for Borna at the moment and eventually could become our first pick left back. Has anyone mentioned that he's a 'unit' yet?;)

The guy is overflowing with confidence, and does not lack much skill and ability. Some rough edges, but a great player to have. Great guy to have.

edit: did I mention he's a great guy to have?

He's not played much but I've liked him everytime I've seen him. He's a big marauder, tearing his way down the wing and I like how he gets himself into the box. I expect he'll be involved in a few goals for us and I look forward to seeing more of him starting tomorrowm

Looks a real talent and has a great mentor in borna to learn diff types of deliveries etc.

Defensively looks solid and will only improve faster if he gets time in Europe and league/cups.

Can he cover at centre half too? Know we have plenty but always good to have cover.

Was brillaint the other night when he came on! Clearly very talented no worries at all him stepping in for Borna.

A bit off topic but I also thought SL’s left back / wingback looked a player the other evening. Maybe worth keeping an eye on if we ever decided to cash in on Borna.
If/when Borna leaves I think we already have his replacement and that is Bassey

He's not played much but I've liked him everytime I've seen him. He's a big marauder, tearing his way down the wing and I like how he gets himself into the box. I expect he'll be involved in a few goals for us and I look forward to seeing more of him starting tomorrowm

I think it was against Dundee United, but he came on and looked determined to get a goal.
You wouldn’t want to be facing him bolting towards you :))

Unbelievable athlete. Keeps it simple and is very effective going forward, probably not as good technically as Borna but he will have success from sheer power and pace.

it’s absolutely brilliant that we have real competition in all positions and able deputies that can step in without a noticeable drop in quality just now.

Big Shirley looks the biz.

Looked comfortable coming in at league level earlier.

Looked comfortable moving up a level on Thursday night.

The boy looks to have it.

PS, don't tell him I called him Shirley.

Utter power house of a lad, shows so much desire on and off the ball

Exactly the type of signing that was pie in the sky until gerrard and co came in.

Very happy with him

What is really comforting knowing, that in Bassey, Katic, Mayo, Patterson, King & even big George, we’re covered in the next few years for players coming through and building their games with Rangers.

Barry Ferguson said he’s heard from the training ground that he is a very good listener and loves to learn. Really important for a kid that age.

As you would expect with such an inexperienced player, Liège targeted him but he dealt with everything they could throw at him.

It’s early but he does look the part.
He won’t be at a better club for his development imo.

Big man is an absolute unit

No one will bully or push him legally off the ball. He’s solid

Very skilful too and seems a great young professional too

Brilliant bit of business by the club and scouting team

What is really comforting knowing, that in Bassey, Katic, Mayo, Patterson, King & even big George, we’re covered in the next few years for players coming through and building their games with Rangers.

We have these young players being trained for our system so that stepping up is a smooth transition. Patterson on the right and Bassey on the left. Katic and big George too.

I agree. Nicolas Gavory, 25yo Frenchman, is his name. He put some cracking crosses into the box.

Strength in depth is something the club has lacked for a very long time now.
the addition of Bassey and Paterson to the squad, as well as Zungu and Hagi as permanent signings show that the scouting department have been working hard to identify positions that have required bolstering, we have been desperate for some good quality back up.
We’ve had the same squad, pretty much for the last 2 years, and with some real quality additions of Helander, Balogun, Edmundson and Kamara as well as some proper experience in Defoe, we know that if any of the first teamers go down, we have ample back up and it’s great to see for once.
Bassey is an excellent footballer, he glides across the pitch with ease, and he’s physical unit and it’s something we’ve lacked for a long time. He’s very raw but he’s going to be a very important player for us in the coming years.

Strength in depth is something the club has lacked for a very long time now.
the addition of Bassey and Paterson to the squad, as well as Zungu and Hagi as permanent signings show that the scouting department have been working hard to identify positions that have required bolstering, we have been desperate for some good quality back up.
We’ve had the same squad, pretty much for the last 2 years, and with some real quality additions of Helander, Balogun, Edmundson and Kamara as well as some proper experience in Defoe, we know that if any of the first teamers go down, we have ample back up and it’s great to see for once.
Bassey is an excellent footballer, he glides across the pitch with ease, and he’s physical unit and it’s something we’ve lacked for a long time. He’s very raw but he’s going to be a very important player for us in the coming years.

We are bringing in players that will fit our system/philosophy now. Every one of them knows their job when needed.
Such a breath of fresh air after the past few years without any coherent signing policy.

Agree with the OP. The lad looks a steal. The archetypal modern fullback. Strong and athletic. He is a bit raw, but thats to be expected given his age. I think he will grow into a cracking replacement for Borna eventually

He is young and raw, but also has composure. To come on against strong European opposition and put in that kind of performance says a lot about him.
I am more than confident he will excel with our current coaching staff.

He looks good going forward and strong in the tackle. He gets caught under the ball a bit too much. He’s still young and learning tho v
My only concern is excactly that gets caught under the ball looks good going forward which is good looks a good signing for peanuts

His physique has definitely helped him settle into Scottish football imo.

I remember the Motherwell game, can't remember who it was from them tried to make the tackle and stop Bassey and he just bounced off him and landed on the deck.

Back