Sky Sports and BT Sport demand controversial pay-per-view service is scrapped

rangeral

Sky Sports and BT Sport are concerned about their reputations being hit amid the controversial pay-per-view service and would happily see it binned

Sky and BT would happily see the Premier League's pay-per-view service scrapped as it continues to see a huge backlash from fans. The decision was made to show of top flight game live, a decision that both broadcasters were deeply unhappy about.

But after the government reverted on its decision to allow some fans back into stadiums the call was made by the Premier League to charge for certain games. A £14.95 fee is now being charged for matches that are not being televised via the usual satellite subscription packages.

But neither broadcaster is making money from the amount being charged and are concerned about their reputations having been labelled as greedy. Thousands of fans have united in their disgust over the move and opted against paying the £14.95 fee, an amount that was set by the Premier League.

Sky Sports and BT Sport are fuming with the decision are only want to see their production costs covered. A top Sky source has revealed that both companies would happily see the pay-per-view service binned as they continue to deal with the fallout. He said: “Sky is not happy to be involved in showing the pay-per-view games. We never thought it was a good idea and nothing’s changed since it started. It is damaging the reputation of Sky Sports to be linked to this scheme – and that feeling is shared at BT. Everyone here would prefer for it to stop.”

Sky also have no intention of taking advantage of the current socio-economic climate as the coronavirus pandemic forces parts of the country to go into a second lockdown. The Sky Sports Box Office channel airs the games that are not included in their usual subscription, but they are reluctant to advertise them. Viewing figures are not being made public but are said to be "mixed".

Newcastle fans opted against paying for last weekend's match against Manchester United and instead donated the funds to charity which saw them raise over £16,000.

Screwing supporters because they can’t go to games due to a global pandemic which has then in turn caused financial hardship for many, and this didn’t work?

I am stunned.
Seems to have worked ok up here ? If they don't want to give their own clubs the money since sky ain't seeing any then they are pretty tight if you ask me.

Did season ticket holders down there get a free virtual season ticket like us or are they the ones having to pay for the games on PPV?

Did season ticket holders down there get a free virtual season ticket like us or are they the ones having to pay for the games on PPV?
I think it’s different for each club, I know for Liverpool they suspended season ticket sales this year, the majority of home games will be on TV but last nights was one of the £15 ones, and I saw the Leicester game at home next month will also be £15.

For the Premier League no agreement was in place as very few clubs actually put any on sale so everyone has to pay

The EFL struck an agreement with Sky Sports where STH get VST regardless of Sky coverage and PPV is £10 a game providing the game isn't on Sky Sports as the main selection - £10 is set by the EFL

I bought the Now TV day pass last week as I refuse to pay the full sky package.

Would rather pay per view than a monthly subscription to a whole lot of shite Id never watch

Along with BT Sport on my phone and RTV subscription its ideal

I think it’s different for each club, I know for Liverpool they suspended season ticket sales this year, the majority of home games will be on TV but last nights was one of the £15 ones, and I saw the Leicester game at home next month will also be £15.
Leicester game still has to be decided on broadcast side

Reactions: AMC
They ARE greedy, it's only being scrapped because it's a disastrous decision to try and screw fans over even more and it's now costing them money. Worried about their reputation!!?! hahahahaaaa.

It costs around a 100k for a full production live game with multiple cameras and staff .

So they need around 7k buys to pay for it

I don’t get this as the games are being showing by sky box office and BT box office? Couldn’t they just refuse to show the games through PPV.

I thought TV companies ruled the roost not the other way about

So some of the big clubs are totally against it, Sky and BT too

who actually decided and put it in place?

IMO this was a trial, which hasn't worked out and now the backtracking.

Bring this type of PPV in while people are stuck in their homes and by the time the crisis is over people are used to paying extra for the PPV and keep doing it.

It's not worked out like that for them.

These ppv ideas are never going to take off and I’m amazed that boxing and ufc still have them when finding links is so easy these days

Old men hanging on to the past.

OTT is the model which works and actually reduces piracy, given you have enough good content.

How many people on here have IPTV, but also happily pay for Netflix/Prime?

Was chatting to a mate yesterday who has been totally in the ‘just want to switch it on a and it works, no fucking about’ camp. Is he pays for Sky etc

Howe we even he has had it with the greed and sheer cost of watching his team, and wants me to help him with alternatives

OTT is the model which works and actually reduces piracy, given you have enough good content.

Yep

although need to be careful about mentioning IPTV on here

I don’t think this rings true from sky at all. Maybe they are now realising it was a shit idea after the fall out, but surely if they always thought that they could have simply said this is not for us and left it to someone else to put on these games on ppv basis.

What is OTT?

Good, it was a money grab, and it is interesting that suddenly Liverpool games are the PPV option while they give you the normal subscription showing Southampton v Everton or Wolves v Newcastle rather than Arsenal v Leicester. Thin end of the wedge and honestly, people pay so much money to these guys already, it is an ongoing rip off. Splitting the games between two broadcasters is bad enough never mind adding PPV on top.

If clubs haven't sold season tickets then I don't see the problem with it to be honest. Just the same as what's happening up here.

Screwing supporters because they can’t go to games due to a global pandemic which has then in turn caused financial hardship for many.

So this hasn’t worked then?

I am stunned.
Its ridiculous idea and now wonder BT and Sky are up in arms

They have to pay for PPV on top of their season ticket.
Which EPL teams asked fans to pay for season tickets?
Family friends have three season rickets for Anfield and they didn’t get charged for their season tickets this season.They also got a refund if £50 per game for the games missed last season without applying.

Doesn’t every club in the EPL get around £100m from tv , if so then it makes the league’s insistence on that price more like profiteering.

Family friends have three season rickets for Anfield and they didn’t get charged for their season tickets this season.They also got a refund if £50 per game for the games missed last season without applying.
I was under the impression only Newcastle.

Newcastle

Everton & Southampton put them on sale but are refunding every game now that they can't attend

Read an article other day which said the following:

Premier League hoped to make 40 million from this. It was rushed through and no agreement was made regarding who got so much Club wise.

BT and Sky were allowed to set the price as long as Premier League got a certain cut per match.

In this day and age it’s frankly amazing that every Premier League match isn’t available to watch through some kind of PPV system mind to the English Public. Especially now when you can do it for all League matches for Harrogate and Swindon etc...

I bought the Now TV day pass last week as I refuse to pay the full sky package.

Would rather pay per view than a monthly subscription to a whole lot of shite Id never watch

Along with BT Sport on my phone and RTV subscription its ideal
Im the opposite. I just take a sky package for £20 pm. For a fiver a week i get to watch all our away games and any english football i fancy. Its the price of a pint and all the bars are closed anyway

Sky Sports and BT Sport are concerned about their reputations being hit amid the controversial pay-per-view service and would happily see it binned

Sky and BT would happily see the Premier League's pay-per-view service scrapped as it continues to see a huge backlash from fans. The decision was made to show of top flight game live, a decision that both broadcasters were deeply unhappy about.

But after the government reverted on its decision to allow some fans back into stadiums the call was made by the Premier League to charge for certain games. A £14.95 fee is now being charged for matches that are not being televised via the usual satellite subscription packages.

But neither broadcaster is making money from the amount being charged and are concerned about their reputations having been labelled as greedy. Thousands of fans have united in their disgust over the move and opted against paying the £14.95 fee, an amount that was set by the Premier League.

Sky Sports and BT Sport are fuming with the decision are only want to see their production costs covered. A top Sky source has revealed that both companies would happily see the pay-per-view service binned as they continue to deal with the fallout. He said: “Sky is not happy to be involved in showing the pay-per-view games. We never thought it was a good idea and nothing’s changed since it started. It is damaging the reputation of Sky Sports to be linked to this scheme – and that feeling is shared at BT. Everyone here would prefer for it to stop.”

Sky also have no intention of taking advantage of the current socio-economic climate as the coronavirus pandemic forces parts of the country to go into a second lockdown. The Sky Sports Box Office channel airs the games that are not included in their usual subscription, but they are reluctant to advertise them. Viewing figures are not being made public but are said to be "mixed".

Newcastle fans opted against paying for last weekend's match against Manchester United and instead donated the funds to charity which saw them raise over £16,000.
Its an absolute joke
Most of these fans are ST holders already so may get access via their clubs home channel but its just another way of milking the cash cows. Ask players to take salary cuts, that would save a lot of cash for these clubs.

Its an absolute joke
Most of these fans are ST holders already so may get access via their clubs home channel but its just another way of milking the cash cows. Ask players to take salary cuts, that would save a lot of cash for these clubs.
Would it not be right to think for Arsenal v Leicester the only way legally to watch this in the UK would be PPV? if it wasn’t on PPV you wouldn’t be able to watch it legally I thought?

I am kind of split over all this to a degree as I could see why a fan of say Spurs would be happy to pay say £500 if it meant he got every home and away League match for the season. They might not want Sky etc and just be happy with that each season. The changing of kick off time’s is the problem to me.

Last edited:
Im the opposite. I just take a sky package for £20 pm. For a fiver a week i get to watch all our away games and any english football i fancy. Its the price of a pint and all the bars are closed anyway
I'm the same.20 quid a month or a tenner a day.Theres always something else on during the month that I want to see

They arent paying full price for their season tickets though.

I saw a Leicester fan on Twitter saying he paid £60 to reserve his seat.
Rangers will.need to look at doing an average price for each season ticket next year if circumstances are still the same not fair certain fans having to pay more than others to watch the same rangers TV. My pals are 200 quid cheaper than me because the are closer to the corner of the govan rear I'm paying more for a view I'll not even see this season.

Back