The importance of Sunday coming

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
I’m ignoring the old ‘one game at a time’ adage and looking ahead to Killie next Sunday. There’s so little margin for error it means every game is crucial but this one really stands out for me.

We’ve struggled there in the recent past and even at our best last season we only managed 5 league wins in a row a couple of times - we have 4 just now.

We won’t win every game this season but if we can win every game from now until the end of the year (including the 2nd of Jan) it’s looking like there’s a good chance the league might be beyond them and Lennon gone.

Nothing is won yet, we’re (realistically) 3 points ahead, if they were to hire a sober, semi-competent manager who could get edourd to turn up they’d likely go on a run of beating all the rest. So before they do that we really need to apply the pressure on.

Sunday is probably the toughest game left this calendar year for us (on paper at least) if we can win that the pressure might be too much for Lennon to deal with.

This is our biggest test yet so far this season.

Can each player stand up and be counted?
I highlighted we struggled to win more than 5 league games in a row last year but we look a different beast this time around.

Players look angry when they give up a chance/goal never mind points. Huge game, which I’m nervous about, but think we’ll do it.

Barring any injuries or isolations I think it will be a good win for us. Always a sticky one for us but we look a well drilled and more urgent side. Really about us driving forward and keeping the head every game. We have some quality depth and hopefully some others really find form too.

No one will be more aware of the importance of these games and our recent record at that ground than our management team. I think we will take full points.

Hibs went there and won 1-0 yesterday. We are a far better side than both of them.

Our record at Rugby park since we came back up is horrendous though so it’s really about getting our mentality right on the day.

Massive game that i’d bite your hand off for a scrappy 1 goal win in right now. Just fûcking win Rangers.

Tough game right enough, we have the mindset now to go there and win, its been a tough place to go but we won there last season with a last gasp goal.

Will be a tough game as always. It is an atrocious surface and a small compact pitch aswell. Something just feels different about us at the moment though and I think our players are starting to believe in themselves like never before.

Massive test going there after a European match if we come away with three points that will be a massive boost for us and send out a message we’re not messing about this season

It will depend on two things.

1. How we play on the day

2. If killie are allowed to kick their way through the game unpunished. They will as usual, be running about like headless chickens like their lives depended on it, charging into every challenge

Said on another thread it’s our biggest game since 2012.

Winning the game would put down a huge marker and give Celtic something to really think about.

We have to play at our best and get the result we need.

Honestly think we are well equipped to handle it but Sunday will tell us.

Let’s Go.

January is key. As we all know its not been a good month for us in recent years. We have Celtic, Hibs and the sheep all away that month.

Next week will give us a good idea of how far we've progressed on all fronts. If we can win then it should give the players confidence for every away game that we'll face in the league. Plus its a chance to increase the lead in the league for a 3rd consecutive week and starts to put scoreboard pressure on them

That pitch is minging and they are the absolute epitome of hammer throwers. Mind you who fucking isn't in this league.

Desperately hope we can stay Covid free and go there and dismantle the cunts within half an hour and then take our foot off the gas and get players off and rested.

It's time we started doing these fucking bastards over as a routine. Get in, get points, get out. All the while let the rest of the league self combust with hatred and envy.

Bastards to a man.

This is the real "rubber meets the road" moment for this seasons incarnation of the team. We have toiled horrendously at Rugby Park against this Clark/Dyer Killie team over the past few seasons. If we go out and beat them, it will be absolutely massive - a huge monkey off our backs.

I am taking nothing for granted. It will be a very difficult game, and though we are flying at the moment, we have still to prove that we can shed our faulty mentality of the past few seasons and go on an extended winning streak in the league, especially while the poets are struggling for form.

Massive game on Thursday first however we are playing so well in Europe I hope it’s another 3 points , into Kilmarnock away it will be tough but it’s these types of games we MUST win if we really want to win 55, the pressure we could pile on them by sitting 9 points clear before their next league game could be massive but we must take care of our own results first

Early in the season but that wouldn’t be a position you’d want to find yourself in!

The hope with the way the fixtures came out was that we would drop points then lose the game at parkhead. The pressure would get too much and we’d collapse.

the pressure to win 10 is already immense, add that into the mix and the more chance they’ll fold

This team looks so comfortable. We will be 9 clear come this time next week.

I know we all want to get back to games but the likes of today for me we are better with no fans. There were times in the second half we just passed it and saw the game out. If there were 50k in there I'm convinced there would have been mistakes made rushed passes trying to force things.

Firstly, this is not our biggest test. Tramps, Sheep & Hibs all away are bigger tests than this.

Killie are not near the team they have been for a couple of years.

Their advantage is that they are a bit of a jinx to us.

More often that not it has been our own fault we’ve dropped points here.

We are a far superior team to them so Gerrard has to have everyone in the right frame of mind.

But as others have said, let’s concentrate on Lech Poznan first.

It's the biggest test of the season so far. To go nine points clear would be massive for us. Would also make a statement to that other lot that we can go to one our bogey teams over the last couple of seasons and win.

The problem is you just can't know where you'll drop the points. We could drop points at Killie and still win the league.

I understand though it's about this team progressing but unless they collapse-which they are flirting with-it's going to a long tough road.
Agreed, but there are moments in a game/during the season where you just have to get through by hook or by crook, like taking a knee in boxing.

While it’s just another 3 points, if they were to lose their next league match it’d have a bigger impact than it would if they were on the back of a 7 game winning run.

You’re right to say that we could drop points against Killie and still win the league but they are under pressure right now, so much so that another poor game could force them to make rash decisions (either at management or board level) and we don’t want to give them any out from that. Lennon was under pressure when they came to Ibrox last season and our defeat let him out of jail we shouldn’t be as careless this time around.

You’re right, regardless of what happens it’ll be a long, stressful season. They won’t be as bad as they’ve been recently for the full season.

Back