Celtic's Kristoffer Ajer rebuffs his manager's claims over confidence issue among squad

fmp

Kristoffer Ajer has rejected claims from his manager Neil Lennon that a “confidence” issue is affecting some of the Celtic squad.

Lennon made the assertion following the 3-3 draw at Aberdeen that leaves the Scottish champions winless in three games - and smarting over the concession of eight goals in that sequence, following the 2-0 defeat by Rangers and 3-1 loss to Milan inside eight days.

“I don’t feel that,” he said when told of Lennon’s assessment. “I feel really confident. This is a squad full of winners who are not happy when we don’t get three points. Obviously we want to get back to winning games and hope we can do that soon.”
Celtic: Get the latest team news, match previews and reports

Ajer’s defensive partner Shane Duffy appears one of those toiling. He was badly at fault for the goal that allowed Aberdeen to take a 2-1 lead, before Celtic netted twice inside two minutes only to be pegged back in the final seconds courtesy of Lewis Ferguson’s second spot-kick conversion. However, the Norwegian called for responsibility to be shared equally among those in the club’s colours.

“We attack as a team and we defend as a team. It’s easy for people to single out players but this is a team and it works both ways. We scored three goals collectively and we also conceded three at the other end, including two penalties. It’s all a collective.”

Communication has been cited as a problem, but Ajer dismissed that too. “We communicate great with each other,” he said. “We all know our jobs and where to be on the pitch so we don’t always have to talk to each other.”

What I liked about them on sunday was that when Mcgregor scores to make it 1-1 he literally runs back celebrating with only the merest of well dones from team mates. Elyanousi or Ajeti gives him wee pat and that’s it.

No way them of old isn’t Griffiths, Forrest, Brown, Lustig etc all lording it up. They look like a team of individuals now and Brendan’s team is as good as broken up now.

that old chestnut 'confidence' it's such a measly get out for players playing shite.

What I liked about them on sunday was that when Mcgregor scores to make it 1-1 he literally runs back celebrating with only the merest of well dones from team mates. Elyanousi or Ajeti gives him wee pat and that’s it.

No way them of old isn’t Griffiths, Forrest, Brown, Lustig etc all lording it up. They look like a team of individuals now and Brendan’s team is as good as broken up now.
I missed that - good spot. That it absolutely what happened :D

Tin hat on, but I’ve thought since his early days that Ajer looks not a bad player. He’ll make them some money. But it sounds like he knows that and I suspect this is him starting to work his ticket.

The lack of togetherness from the scum is glorious. :))

I missed that - good spot. That it absolutely what happened :D

They scored an equaliser and McGregor told someone to get the ball and headed back into their own half to kick off. I’m all for laughing at them but that happens all the time when a team are looking to win the game.

Lennon won’t like that

he won’t like commons comments

he barked at Nicholas he will bark back at these two clowns

Lennon is done he will be sacked within a week I think

Tin hat on, but I’ve thought since his early days that Ajer looks not a bad player. He’ll make them some money. But it sounds like he knows that and I suspect this is him starting to work his ticket.

I agree Ajer looks a good player who will probably move on to bigger things.

They scored an equaliser and McGregor told someone to get the ball and headed back into their own half to kick off. I’m all for laughing at them but that happens all the time when a team are looking to win the game.
I think you are letting them off the hook a bit there. He wasn't exactly fighting them off was he?

As much as I dislike Rodgers he is a decent manger.
Lennon inherited his team and things do look to be falling apart.

While true it would make more sense if there wasn’t 40 minutes left to play. No way does the Rodgers team not have big characters getting right in mcgregors face and saying well done etc - knowing they are going to go on and win.

It really might be they are just devoid of confidence but it looked like they no longer have that core group of strong characters and have an excess of guys on the fringes hoping to be dragged to success rather than earning it.

He is average mate. Good athlete but can’t read the game at all and always getting caught out. Wouldn’t take him ahead of our centre backs.

He is average mate. Good athlete but can’t read the game at all and always getting caught out. Wouldn’t take him ahead of our centre backs.
He is capable but inconsistent. It doesn't help that he's 22 and surrounded by rubbish. For the good of his career he needs to get out of there.

Lennon won’t like that

he won’t like commons comments

he barked at Nicholas he will bark back at these two clowns

Lennon is done he will be sacked within a week I think
That's my worry.

With senior players refusing to play and rumblings like this from Ajer we arent far away.

What happened with Johnstone, mate? I've noticed he has disappeared.

got injured and asked to play on and then done himself no favour.

A young lad that tried to play on yet was hounded by lennon in the dressing room.

Team mates were not impressed. A true story.

Neil Lennon is from the neil warnock style of management, its had its day. Even then dont think he could have went that low.

Seems like every day there's something new to make me smile....... loving this right now, just need their pain to drag on for a while yet before Lennon gets bagged.

Reading that the writing is on the wall, certain players, Ajer being one, will be irretrievable for Lennon. Brown will be with him but division in the ranks is poison.

Lennon is an egomaniac and would never come out and take full responsibility for a result regardless of what his true feelings were.

Keep it coming Lennon!

I wouldn't take Ajer for our team, but if it hadn't been for him we would have won by more against them, although it was maybe just luck that he got in the way of Kent's volley. He does look utterly miserable when trying to get his fellow defenders to do better, which is most of the time. He would be well advised to advance his career elsewhere asap.

Seems like every day there's something new to make me smile....... loving this right now, just need their pain to drag on for a while yet before Lennon gets bagged.
This is the worry mate, that they bin him before their next league game, hopefully he survives long enough to drop more points although I cannot see a scenario where they drop more and don’t pump him.

A bit of a conundrum.

I'm hoping that they are truly as bad as their form suggests. Last thing I want is some semi decent manager getting them to kick on.

Besides, I want Lennon to get sacked because we win 55.

Back