Standard Liege

To say they are supposedly the second ranked team in our group we could be six clear on Thursday with a home tie still to come.

I'm not surprised by that result tbh. That 2nd half would have destroyed players legs and stamina with how heavy and difficult that pitch was. Just shows how good a squad we have built that we were able to rest a bunch of players that played on it and still win reasonably comfortably.

Let's just focus on Poznan.

If the group is shaping up 6,6,0,0 then it's very much ours to lose. We could literally draw every other game and be through.

I'll be honest, I wasn't particularly impressed by them.

At Ibrox I'm expecting an absolute canter.

Will be a travesty if we don't qualify from this group.

The weather turning gave them a bigger chance as the pitch was a leveler. I've no concerns about playing Lech home and away, just need to hope they get something from their games with Leige and nullify each other.

I noticed they got beat again 2 - 0.
Did they try and start a rammy at FT after this one.
They are the poets of Belgium.

I don’t think they were as bad as some are making out. Game could’ve finished 1-1 had the ball not slipped under the boys feet at the end.

I'm puzzled as to why you think the guy is automatically going to score and why it would stop Roofe scoring our second goal

I thought they had a few starting players out of the game with Covid?
They did, but I don't know if that would have made loads of difference.

I just didn't think they were up to much. I can see how Arsenal put 5 past them last season. I'll be stunned if we don't beat them at Ibrox. One of the weakest sides we have faced in Europe in recent years.

The key for us is to get max points on the board before the Benfica double header.

Reactions: TQ3
I don’t think they were as bad as some are making out. Game could’ve finished 1-1 had the ball not slipped under the boys feet at the end.
If he had managed to control it Tav was a few feet away and would have got a block in , it was no certain goal scoring chance

Too many on here jumping ahead of themselves.
These matches are very unpredictable.

You're right nobody should get carried away, but our home record under Gerrard in Europe is 12 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss in 17 games, with that loss beinh Bayer Leverkusen.

We're in good form, and they're currently 10th with only 2 wins in 7 games.

Its very much one we should be optimistic about.

You're right nobody should get carried away, but our home record under Gerrard in Europe is 12 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss in 17 games, with that loss beinh Bayer Leverkusen.

We're in good form, and they're currently 10th with only 2 wins in 7 games.

Its very much one we should be optimistic about.
I prefer to stay quietly confident.

I was quite impressed by Benfica mate, albeit it was just the highlights.

The big Young striker is a talent.
I watched their game last night and they were very good, big guy Darwin up front cost them £24m from Spanish second division club Almeria, scored a hatrick against Poznan last week and Benfica manager thinks he will go for more than the £126m they recieved for Joao Felix if he's sold in future, they really do pull in some amount of money in transfers and their scouting system is fantastic.

Looking through their squad it's full of exellent players from Morroco,Greece,Brazil,Portugal,Germany, quite a young team,superfit and chase everything,very comfortable on the ball, nice quick passing and they all trackback and close space down when they don't have the ball.

They are a champions league team without a doubt and I think they are a much better team than Leverkusen,we'll be lucky to take a point from them being honest.

I watched their game last night and they were very good, big guy Darwin up front cost them £24m from Spanish second division club Almeria, scored a hatrick against Poznan last week and Benfica manager thinks he will go for more than the £126m they recieved for Joao Felix if he's sold in future, they really do pull in some amount of money in transfers and their scouting system is fantastic.

Looking through their squad it's full of exellent players from Morroco,Greece,Brazil,Portugal,Germany, quite a young team,superfit and chase everything,very comfortable on the ball, nice quick passing and they all trackback and close space down when they don't have the ball.

They are a champions league team without a doubt and I think they are a much better team than Leverkusen,we'll be lucky to take a point ifrom them being honest.
And yet we beat Porto, eventual league winners

Don’t get ahead of ourselves just yet bears. Legia are better side than some aare suggesting...we were really really good on the night.
A win on Thursday puts us in the driving seat though...I’m particularly looking forward to the Benfica games as it will probably be our toughest test to date under Mr Gerrard in Europe.

Yes we did but not without a bit of luck on our side, Porto had two cleared off the line by Davis and Goldson and the wonder save from McGregor before we scored.

Braga were 4th or 5th in the league and taught us a lesson in the first half at Ibrox where we could easily have been 4-0 down and if anyone is honest,most of us watching through our fingers that night in the first half,again we carried a bit of luck with the winning goal.

Out of both Porto and Braga, I thought Braga were the far better team and they weren't champions of Portugal and they had some great players. Sometimes in games you carry a bit of luck and take the win,that's just the way football works, I think a lot of people are getting a bit carried away to the extent last week a poster on here saying we could compete with any of the top teams in Europe,and plenty just writing off this Polish team before we've even played them,feet need to be firmly planted on the ground,let's not get carried away.

I've watched Benfica twice now and think they are better than both Porto,Braga and Leverkusen and play better football, I think this out of all the good teams we've played, will be the toughest test and will either show how how far we have come or how far we still have to go before even thinking about the champions league.

They are a champions league team without a doubt and I think they are a much better team than Leverkusen,we'll be lucky to take a point from them being honest.

Thanks Cutty.

So Darwin is the guy I was talking about. He’s definitely quality as you say.

I didn’t watch the whole game but, yes, on the highlights I thought that they looked a level up from Porto last season.

They actually look an exciting team, not that we want that against us.

I have to agree with Cutty/Young on this one. As a response to Porto taking the title back, Benfica went out and spent € 100 million on players from Brazil, the EPL and Bundesliga. They are a good side but still a bit fragile at the back, which is always the case with Jorge Jesus' teams.

I would disagree that they're better than Leverkusen though and we are better than we were. Great games to look forward to and we definitely have a good chance to get through this group.

We also shouldn't overlook how good we have become in Europe.

Reactions: TQ3
Mate there is no ‘should be enough’

if we beat Poznan and Liege home and away then we are comfortably through to the knock out stages
Unless Standard beat Benfica twice.
In a group that finishes
12, 12, 12, 0
Someone has to go out!
That said. The possibility of that could be gone come Thursday.
Same as a group that finishes 18, 4, 4, 4
Someone has to go through in second!

The bottom worst point has never happened.
Lowest total EL is 7. And 6 for CL.

No club has ever failed to qualify from EL with 11 points.
Although Napoli and PSG have missed out on qualification in the CL with 12 points.

Unless Standard beat Benfica twice.
In a group that finishes
12, 12, 12, 0
Someone has to go out!
That said. The possibility of that could be gone come Thursday.
Same as a group that finishes 18, 4, 4, 4
Someone has to go through in second!

The bottom worst point has never happened.
Lowest total EL is 7. And 6 for CL.

No club has ever failed to qualify from EL with 11 points.
Although Napoli and PSG have missed out on qualification in the CL with 12 points.
Did you really go to the effort to type that out :)

Too many on here jumping ahead of themselves.
These matches are very unpredictable.

European group stages don’t have any diddy teams in them, except maybe AC Milan’s group. They got lucky with one team of diddies.

As for us, I go into every european tie with a sense of caution. We need to be on our game to beat any of the teams in our group, even at home.

So, I’m confident but not over confident.

Back