Their Financial Results

Given the circumstances I'd be please with that. The fundamental key is this year. IF we win the league and get a place in the CL it will transform both clubs in one season. Also remember they have retail in revenue which is a significant difference for us

Am I reading that right.

those figures don’t even include the substantial fees they’ve spunked on mediocrity in the latest transfer window?
Seems to be the case .It states after year end meaning their financial year . So all those players noted in the last bit of the statement are on top of their declared annual expenditure .As soomeone else said,last bit is turd polishing .
They are up the swannee .
Wait till the court cases start .
Looking forward to their extintion .Scum

Whoa, £13m drop in revenues without any change in competitions they participated in?

That is crazy. Unless they are doing some creative accounting to make next years losses look not so bad, they are in a slightly compromised position.
How many home games did they lose? Would their previous account have included the 2017/18 Champions League figures?

I haven’t seen the statements but it’s unlikely.
“gain on sale of players” is usually a separate line altogether and not a part of revenue or cost.
Sadly not, player transfers are dealt with separately. Their revenue figure will be ticket income, TV money etc.
I see. They are bringing in serious cash then even aside from transfers. We have a big gap to close.

Not really tbh. Edouard has a left year on his contract next summer and PSG are due 40% if whatever fee they get for him.
Good point. So to cover a £24m loss, Edouard would need to go for £40m. It’s not a coincidence that this was the fee being spouted by their go to media men.

edit: He also cost £9m and they would need to replace him.

Last edited:
Since those results, they've bought Barkas, Ajeti,Turnball for about £13m, but this will be spread over their contracts, so about £3m per season. Their will be loan fees this season for Duffy,Laxalt and Elyanoussi.
Let's not forget we're running at a loss.

£70m revenue and £80m operating expenses which is followed by another Champions League fail and limited sellable assets.

If we can win the league it will bust them!
Yes, this is a big season. They won't be selling anyone for 20 million, especially with Edouard not firing and out of the picture. If we win the league this year, we suddenly have a situation where celtic are looking at losing 20 - 30 million a season with no cl money for them. A long, long way to go. We just need to do it on the park.

The profit before tax of £0.1m is a misnomer.

INCLUDED within that number is the gain on sale of players of £24.2m.

So without player sales, they ran a £24m LOSS.

No champs league money this year again, they need to shift some players.
Though it is now thoroughly a buyers market, no one is being extravagant and no one can afford to take risks.
If unhappy players take a moment and think about that, then don't sign extensions.

They will, as in sellick - be right in the shit.

This warms the cockles of my heart.

This is good news for us, make no mistake about it. They run at an ever widening loss and are in the habit of having to sell one of their valuable players every season to claw that back.

Their transfers in have been poor and the value of the likes of Edouard and Ntcham will be nowhere near what they were due to their contracts running down and the fact they’ve apparently chucked it. Long story short, they’re running out of players who they can sell to cover their losses.

This is the house of cards Dave King talked about. We’ve got 26 games left in the league to take a wrecking ball to it.

Few things that jump out at me:

Remember this is at 30th June 2020. Since that date they have made no huge player sales but have spent millions on Barkas & Co - £11m according to transfer market and they have taken £1m. So that £22m in the bank wont be £22m anymore. Or anywhere close to it.

Cash at bank /equivalent down from £34m to £22m

Intangible assets actually up from £14m in 2019 to £19m in 2020 despite the sale of Tierney.

Gain of £24m on sale of players but have acquired players at a cost of £20m. Remember - no real player sales this summer but a load coming in.

Ignoring player sales they have made a huge operating loss. Those wages are still being paid :)

Trade Creditors risen from £14m to £21m.

They will have to sell in January and I dont think they are in a position to buy unless Desmond puts his hand in his pocket. Revenue is down as will some of the costs but wages will still be a huge problem for them. The loan players do not come cheap in terms of wages either.

From being light years ahead of us financially they have lost value in the squad whilst at the same time seen their cash reserves reduced, however bear in mind a lot has happened since 30th June.

Not really tbh. Edouard has a left year on his contract next summer and PSG are due 40% if whatever fee they get for him.
All the players they could get decent money for i.e Edouard and Ajer are approaching the end of their deals ( and appear as if they want to leave)all the others are too old for even English teams to spunk £15 million plus on if they want a big sale they will have to offer Édouard or Ajer an improved deal which will definitely not come cheap

How many home games did they lose? Would their previous account have included the 2017/18 Champions League figures?
The accounts seem to be from 30th June to 30th June, year-on-year.

The 2017-18 Champions League money would be in the 2017-2018 accounts unless UEFA don't release part of the TV money until well after the competition is over, which would seem strange. Every season since then they have been involved in the Europa League and going out well before the ridiculous amount of money given for failing in the playoffs.

I think they missed out four home games, but there is no way that refunds/loss of per-game sponsorship would be a drop of £13m. That seems far too much.

That's cashflow though, which is different from the gain made on the sale of a player (recognized immediately in their accounts) or the registration of a new signing (amortized over the player's contract length).
I know, but we have people on here who think they're skint because they had £18m in the bank and spent £20m on players.

So I’m correct in saying that the accounts include this years season ticket money but not this summers transfers . So in reality cos they never sold their cash reserves are gone?
Their strategy clearly is to win the 10. Appease their fans at any cost and then downsize massively in the summer to make up any loss by selling eduoard etc

I'm guessing that analysis of threats to the business (impending court case) as part of a standard SWOT analysis is not required for accounts reporting. It will be required as part of the annual board meeting where mitigation would be discussed.

The accounts seem to be from 30th June to 30th June, year-on-year.

The 2017-18 Champions League money would be in the 2017-2018 accounts unless UEFA don't release part of the TV money until well after the competition is over, which would seem strange. Every season since then they have been involved in the Europa League and going out well before the ridiculous amount of money given for failing in the playoffs.

I think they missed out four home games, but there is no way that refunds/loss of per-game sponsorship would be a drop of £13m. That seems far too much.
I suspect that they - and ourselves - will not have received all monies from UEFA. Remember, the competitions didn’t end until late August. Indeed we were still playing in the tournament in August.

No mention of the case being brought against Celtic by survivors of child abuse in these results? Pretty big omission if not.
The closest that’ll get to a mention is as a Contingent Liability but for as long as they continue to peddle the separate entity line it won’t. Once they lose, it’ll go straight onto their Balance Sheet.

I would imagine our results will have a large increase in revenue this year due to the Castore deal and things like that doubt we will be in profit tho due to covid and the money spent on new players

Profit before tax 100k.

So basically they made a loss after tax.

You only pay corporation tax, the tax that refers to, on profits. The tax due would be on the hundred grand. And when next years accounts inevitably show losses due to the impact of Corona with no sales, those losses can be offset against past or future liabilities. Clubs in Scotland will almost never have real corporation tax bills due for this reason. They are not set up as profit making enterprises in the way most normal businesses are.

I would imagine our results will have a large increase in revenue this year due to the Castore deal and things like that doubt we will be in profit tho due to covid and the money spent on new players
Money spent on players has no impact at all on profit.

Back