Only 1 point more than this time last season.

Its only one point but it feels very different to me this season. Without wanting to jinx it, the players look much more comfortable in the system, there's definitely a far greater feeling of team spirit and we're much less reliant on a single player.

Big differences this season :-
We've had a tough schedule away to the more difficult venues and came through reasonably well.
A tighter defence not leaking goals.
Goals spread through the team with 4 centre forwards yet to hit form.
A very good bench.
No winter break to disrupt the season might be a clincher.

We started the season really well last year too, and so did they. The difference this year is we seem to have an assuredness about us, a confidence and the level throughout the squad has went up by quite a distance. Also we've beat them whereas we lost to them in the 1st round of games last season. So not only have we got 1 point more, they've also got less points

Said it before, but I'll be confident when it's mathematically out of reach for them. The last two seasons have highlighted how quickly things can go off a cliff. We've started this season brilliantly, let's keep it going and focus on every game like a cup final.

Its only 1 point more but we have had a difficult first round of fixtures plus, more importantly, the difference in the team is clear to see, we are performing much better and more confidently. I can only look to the Livi game as a 'poor' performance. We did alright, in the main, at Easter Road but simply blew our gilt-edged chances.

There are massive differences this year

we have beat them at their ground at a canter

we have had most of our difficult away games

we have a far superior goal difference

we don’t look like conceding goals

they look all over the place

there are divisions within their camp

the new players they have signed look terrible especially the goal keeper and centre back

we are undeaftes all season they have lost 3 games already

they look unfit they look unorganised

we look a very good team

We very much need to keep our feet on the ground here. To many false dawns.

Yes, I feel we’re better than we’ve been before, but we’re a few players picking up the virus away from a crisis. It’s not normal times.

Keep doing what we’re doing, but time to stay humble.

the new players they have signed look terrible especially the goal keeper and centre back

we look a very good team

This for me is a key stat.

We have looked really assured at the back and we have options there if anyone needs to drop out.

we look a very good team

We just need to get this points difference up over the next two months to reflect these valid points TTT, because if this continues, Lurgan Flopp will be fired.

Im hoping we can get the 6 points to over 10 after this second batch of games, because the third batch of games favour them.

Secure the benefit, and they genuinely could implode.

Our first half of last season was excellent to be honest. That wasn't the real problem. It was maintaining that. Which is obviously something we'd be hoping we can do this season with better squad depth and less of a reliance on Morelos' form. However still something to be seen.

Some major differences though:

• Our GD at this point last season was actually better as we were scoring more goals and winning games 5-0 and 6-1 etc. However when those goals dried up, particularly from Morelos, we started to drop points as we weren't getting many clean sheets at all after the break.
  • 10 clean sheets this season compared to 6 clean sheets last season.
  • We dropped 3 points to them in what is essentially a six pointer - this time it's the opposite and that's very important.
  • We have scored 7 goals less. I do think we should be scoring more tbh.
  • Our form in November and December last season was extremely good with multiple harder away games and we came away with near maximum points + multiple clean sheets. We need to replicate that.

Ultimately the main real difference between this season and last is that we've beaten them already and they've been worse. That's in terms of pure results but you could point to our better squad depth now and say that's a major issue of last season fixed.

I'd be interested to see goals for/against and the number of clean-sheets if anyone has those numbers. We had an amazing first few months of the season last year, so even though it's only 1 point better off its 1 point more than an already great tally so I'm happy enough with that.

I'm lapping it all up at the moment but all bears should have last season's post-Christmas form in the back of their mind because until we see how we are in January, we don't know if we've beaten the slump this season.
19/20

10 wins
1 draw
1 defeat
35 goals for - 7 against - +28 GD
6 clean sheets

20/21
10 wins
2 draws
28 goals for - 3 against - +25 GD
10 clean sheets

We are managing our fitness and energy levels better across 90 minutes compared to last season. We are not blowing out our arses after 70 minutes like last season and we look more likely to keep up with the demands of a full season. In addition to this the system is being embedded on the park with strength in depth within the team now evident.

The biggest difference between now and this stage last season is we won the first OF match and won it comfortably. In Gerrards first season we were kinda screwed by the Russia trip, the season after was a tactical mistake by the gaffer. We have a massive psychological boost this time.

I'd be interested to see goals for/against and the number of clean-sheets if anyone has those numbers. We had an amazing first few months of the season last year, so even though it's only 1 point better off its 1 point more than an already great tally so I'm happy enough with that.

I'm lapping it all up at the moment but all bears should have last season's post-Christmas form in the back of their mind because until we see how we are in January, we don't know if we've beaten the slump this season.
I said it months ago, no winter break will help us!

It’s that number that has me wondering why we are getting too excited and promoting this idea that the mentally challengeds are in a meltdown?

We have started well, but as we well know, you win %^*& all now.

Marathon, not a sprint, and we should really not get too far ahead of ourselves.

We will also go through a period of poor performances. Grinding out results will be required and that’s what will separate the good from the bad come May.

We are definately playing to our strengths this season and look excellent all over the pitch,i have a great feeling about this season and reckon we could be double figures ahead come christmas!!
I don’t think septic will drop that many point tbh

Strength in depth is the big difference.
With respect to Jon Flanagan, we're not dipping too much in quality or shape when Borna misses out this season, whereas last season we basically gave up any pretence of attacking down that side if Borna wasn't playing last season. Likewise when Davis and Arfield ran out of gas, we used the Halliday's and Stewart's as replacements, now it's Aribo and hopefully Zungu......that's the big difference.

It’s that number that has me wondering why we are getting too excited and promoting this idea that the mentally challengeds are in a meltdown?

We have started well, but as we well know, you win %^*& all now.

Marathon, not a sprint, and we should really not get too far ahead of ourselves.

We will also go through a period of poor performances. Grinding out results will be required and that’s what will separate the good from the bad come May.
I get where you're coming from, but I'll take any chance I get to lay into these people.

I get where you're coming from, but I'll take any chance I get to lay into these people.

Of course, what’s written on a message board has no bearing on where the team or the title end up, but I do worry for some, they’re getting way ahead of themselves.

I’m not sure how a loss and a draw back to back, quite has them in the tail spin that some describe.

I haven’t researched this to back it up so feel free to batter in, :)) , but I’ve a feeling our schedule of fixtures was tougher this season than last.

Also, I definitely feel our goal threat comes from more areas this season than last and we are no longer utterly relying on Alfie.

All that said, we absolutely MUST keep our focus all the way to May. We’ve won nothing yet.

This is more what I meant last year we were giving chances away even if we ended the fans convincing winners this year i don't think we have got peak form yet but our control in games is such that we seem to be better.

The best comparison is that we are very smith like in that we are going to get the points nothing else matters.

We will get better I think as the year goes on

Good example is the Hibs 6-1 win. We missed a shed load of chances to put that game out of sight, and it actually got pretty nervy for a while before our third and floodgates opened. (Vague memories of hibs hitting the bar).

A lot of that was Alfredo Morelos, not all, but a lot of it was. The fact we are playing as well as we have without Morelos firing, tells its own story. If he can get his head right and find his shooting boots, then we are laughing.

Celtics dropped points arent the big issue for them, its more that they have been terrible in nearly every game.

They have struggled in every single away game and its taken late goals in many of them to get a win. Dundee United and St Johnstone were both minutes away from more dropped points. Minutes away from extra time against some Bosnian team. Knocked out the CL again by a 3rd rate side. Their defence is shambolic and they are all over the place any time somebody attacks them, and both their keepers are awful. Both signed for their ability with ball at feet but barely ever make a save.

If they don't sort themself out pronto they will drop more points before we play them again. We just need to take it one game at a time and keep winning.

The truth is they only dropped points in 4 of 30 games last season. It's already 3 this season in 11 games.

On the other hand, if we replicated our performance this season and extrapolated that out to 30 games we would be on the same 80 points as they were when the league was called.

There's positives and negatives whatever way you look at it. But for me the big thing is that since we've come back up our longest winning run in the league (as fas as I can see) is 6 games from 03/04/19 against Hearts to 12/05/19 against Celtic.

We need to put runs of 8, 10, 12 games together because they've shown they can. Even if they're rotten now.

That's where it'll be won for me

Listen guys im not blind enough to see that our squad is in a better place than last year. Only a fool would say different. But be cautious we are 1 defeat away from them right on our tails. As i was once told actions speak louder than wprds and at the moment we are getting pkenty of action. Long may it continue.

I think the difference seems to be they don’t seem to be as good as they were last season which is giving us a lift. However the logic seems to so far have been

Kilmarnock 1-1 Celtic: Here comes 55
Livingston 0-0 Rangers: Same old shit as last season, can’t break teams down, bottled it.
Hibs 2-2 Rangers: Gerrard out
Celtic 0-2 Rangers: here comes 55 again.
Aberdeen 3-3 Celtic: Lets build a statue to Dave King.

It does seem that our manager & coaching team have progressed too DZ.

Nice subtle little shape changes have made us less predictable, as well as obviously the deeper squad giving us something different for opposition to cope with.
Also, re last seasons collapse, the injuries to our two full backs seem to have been completely forgotten. Tav and Borna out, Flanagan and Halliday in - is it any wonder we toiled? Morelos out for ages too. Not saying we weren’t culpable, but our luck was zero. Haven’t even mentioned the refereeing - winner disallowed for f.uck all at Rugby Park for example.

Also, re last seasons collapse, the injuries to our two full backs seem to have been completely forgotten. Tav and Borna out, Flanagan and Halliday in - is it any wonder we toiled? Morelos out for ages too. Not saying we weren’t culpable, but our luck was zero. Haven’t even mentioned the refereeing - winner disallowed for f.uck all at Rugby Park for example.

Absolutely agree DJ.

The refereeing is a completely different but massive issue on its own, but you’re 100% right about Tav & Borna.

To be honest, I still think there’s a gap there despite Bassey & Patterson being real talents.

We’re it not this pandemic I would have been hoping for a guy who Was 2 footed & could Cover them both.

With respect to Jon Flanagan, we're not dipping too much in quality or shape when Borna misses out this season, whereas last season we basically gave up any pretence of attacking down that side if Borna wasn't playing last season. Likewise when Davis and Arfield ran out of gas, we used the Halliday's and Stewart's as replacements, now it's Aribo and hopefully Zungu......that's the big difference.
This is absolutely spot on - we lost Helander early December and then Morelos through suspensions and injuries and a drop of form due to constant reshuffling of players to try and fit in was detrimental to our style of play and our confidence suffered and we lost the ability to win comfortably with the lack of quality from the squad being a major factor- the depth of quality is here this season and we do not rely on one or two players now like we did last season

Of course, what’s written on a message board has no bearing on where the team or the title end up, but I do worry for some, they’re getting way ahead of themselves.

I’m not sure how a loss and a draw back to back, quite has them in the tail spin that some describe.
Switch that around. If we lost on the back of the livi draw, for example, this forum would be toxic and absolute carnage with everyone under fire. We'd be out the league already, hopeless, not learnt any lessons, gerrard out, etc. Yet, not saying you, the same people are preaching wounded animal, they are still the champs etc. Annoys me tbh.

I’m pretty sure last season we scraped quite a few games, last min goals, this year we look so comfortable

Our only last minute winner was on the opening day, Goldson's header at Rugby Park.

We had disappointingly lost at home to Scum but otherwise we were playing as well as we are currently and scoring freely, we had scored a combined 16 goals in 3 home games against Hibs, Aberdeen and Hamilton.

This season we have tightened up defensively and although our goals are shared more amung the players I don't think we are giving teams the hammerings our play at times deserves. Obviously Alfie's drop in form has a lot to do with this.

It won't make or break our season but if we leave Rugby Park on Sunday with 3 pts it will be a massive monkey off our backs and even I, the biggest Rangers pessimist going, might start to believe that our players have finally cast off that mental block that has brought our title hopes crashing in each of the past two seasons.

Last edited:
The big thing for me is we've cut out a lot of mistakes in the final third and defending better as a whole team. We were always prone for gifting an easy chance to score.

Only conceding in two league matches is a fantastic achievement and keeping clean sheets will win us nearly every game.

We just look a completely different animal this season, and the strength in depth is scary as well!

We started last season quite well. However, it dipped off massively. I think the current squad are stronger and more able to see tough games out. Also, have a bit more dig in them to go and get a result when something isn't working.

I just hope we keep this going throughout the season this time and not let the arse fall out our campaign like last time.

Even including our dip last season, our average points per game would have seen us finish with 87/88 points had the season finished. That would have been enough to win the title in quite a few seasons last decade. The big difference so far is how they have started. Far too early to call yet but at least we have a basis for hope!

Flanagan ended up being a very poor signing all round, for context - given his personal history I never thought we should be signing him anyway, didn’t like him representing our club, but at least if he had done well you could have tried to separate the man from the player.

However, he didn’t suit our system (attacking full backs), he just wasn’t very good full stop, he was presumably on quite high wages, he didn’t get us a transfer fee when he left, and even in what you might call the greatest successes in his time at Rangers (qualifying for the Europa Group stages in 1st year then getting to the last 16 the following season) he got sent off in our pivotal match against Ufa and then didn’t play at all in the following season group stage. Yes he was backup for Borna when he wasn’t on form but honestly we should have just played Halliday.

Flanagan ended up being a very poor signing all round, for context - given his personal history I never thought we should be signing him anyway, didn’t like him representing out club, but at least if he had done well you could have tried to separate the man from the player.

However, he didn’t suit our system (attacking full backs), he just wasn’t very good full stop, he was presumably on quite high wages, he didn’t get us a transfer fee when he left, and even in what you might call the greatest successes in his time at Rangers (qualifying for the Europa Group stages in 1st year then getting to the last 16 the following season) he got sent off in our pivotal match against Ufa and then didn’t play at all in the following season group stage. Yes he was backup for Borna when he wasn’t on form but honestly we should have just played Halliday.
I can't disagree.

We look like we believe we can win the league this season. I'm not sure we did last season, or any season since we came back up.

The reason it seems more than a point is because of the way we are playing.
Add that to the fact they are dropping points and all things look very good.

We look like we believe we can win the league this season. I'm not sure we did last season, or any season since we came back up.

I think some of the problem last season was some thought we'd already wrapped it up when we beat them at new year.

Back