The best Euro team we've beaten under Gerrard?

Best team we've beaten?

• Maribor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rapid Vienna

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Feyenoord

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Porto

Votes: 487 76.8%
  • Braga

Votes: 110 17.4%
  • Galatasaray

Votes: 16 2.5%
  • Standard Liege

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

GovanFront4

Who would you say is the best team we've beaten in Europe? Not so much the best performance by us, just looking at each club on their own.

I would have to go with Porto. Champions of their country and quite a few class players.

I would agree Porto in terms of Champions League pedigree and history etc, however I picked Braga because I reckon they were the better of these two teams when we beat them (both!) last season. :))

Picked braga simply because how the first leg went (one of the most exciting matches I’ve ever been to) and then the way we performed in the second leg over there too because there were a very good outfit! Probably soft spot for the second leg because it was a fantastic couple of days over there lol with the bears

Braga were in fine form when we beat them last season. The home comeback was good but the away performance by us was even better.

Was there that night and you could see a mile off that we could get in behind. If we kept them out at the back we were always going to nick one.

Porto, but the Danes should be there. They’d beat anyone on that list out with Porto IMO, they’d probably give Porto a game too.

Braga were good also for how quick they came out the traps, and the form they were in. But we matched them with relative ease in the second leg, we couldn’t get the ball off Porto for the first 45 mins at Ibrox.

By the way, this thread triggers my PTSD/anger/inner ballistic Bob when I think about Young Boys & how poor they were, yet we dropped 5 points against them.

Last edited:
Voted Braga because they were absolutely on fire leading up to the first leg. Also looked they were going to hammer us until Hagi dragged us back into it

Porto as evidenced by the Portuguese league table were a better side than Braga last year. In terms of how they both played on the night however, Braga absolutely schooled us for an hour, so voted them. Braga's the only team we've played under Gerrard (apart from perhaps Leverkusen) in Europe where I've thought it could get out of hand, still find it amazing we won that game.

Id say porto but braga played best football against us and seemed to cut us open at will for big parts of the games.
Was hoping we where taking a look at a few of their players tbh lol

Porto and Galatasaray are probably the biggest names, but I’d say Braga were the best team we faced - the form team in Portugal at the time and one who’d beaten Porto, Benfica and Sporting before they faced us.

They blew us away for an hour at Ibrox and should have been out of sight before our incredible comeback.

Braga since I missed the Porto game and to see that amazing comeback. Was even more nervous watching the away game because they are an amazing team

Id say porto but braga played best football against us and seemed to cut us open at will for big parts of the games.
Was hoping we where taking a look at a few of their players tbh lol
I thought Braga were fairly average for 3 x 45 mins against us.

Porto definitely the biggest scalp. So they got my vote, but for an in form team id plump for braga.

It is porto for me

however that first half from braga we could have been out on our arse

Highest rated team would be Porto but, I think the best performance against us, where we’ve still won, would be Braga.
I do wonder if we underestimated Braga because it was the draw we all wanted at the time.
They were seen as the weakest of our possible opponents.

Porto for sure with Braga 2nd. Not sure why Maribor are there. Definitely not in the top 6 we've beaten imo. I'd have Legia ahead of them for example.

I think there is an element of Braga being overrated on here. The away leg for example, they were all over the place defensively. If we played them in the form we're in now we'd beat them handily.

Porto, a consistent last 16 champions league side. All terrific wins there, especially considering the shambles we were for years.

Porto, but the Danes should be there. They’d beat anyone on that list out with Porto IMO, they’d probably give Porto a game too.

Braga were good also for how quick they came out the traps, and the form they were in. But we matched them with relative ease in the second leg, we couldn’t get the ball off Porto for the first 45 mins at Ibrox.

By the way, this thread triggers my PTSD/anger/inner ballistic Bob when I think about Young Boys & how poor they were, yet we dropped 5 points against them.

The 2-1 result away was one of the most deflating feelings I had in that first half of the season.

Reactions: Moz
Rangers have definitely not received the credit owed for the teams we have beaten in Europe under Gerrard. His record of only 5 defeats is nothing short of miraculous.

And it’s not like we have clung on against these teams. We have competed and at times played them off the park.

The much talked about co-efficient is only the way it is because of Us.

Braga were superior for 60mns, by far our toughest game in Europe under Gerrard, but Porto and Gala are far bigger names and pedigree. Leverkusen were a step above all of them.
I fancy us v anyone in our group, but I expect tough games. Thankfully we have a stronger squad, with goal scorers added to a strengthened defence this season.

The 2-1 result away was one of the most deflating feelings I had in that first half of the season.
I had a massive flame out on here/twitter about the home game. Ultimately finishing second was actually beneficial so with hindsight great.

But, at the time I was fcking beeling because they were rotten & we sold three goals.

I had a massive flame out on here/twitter about the home game. Ultimately finishing second was actually beneficial so with hindsight great.

But, at the time I was fcking beeling because they were rotten & we sold three goals.

It was my birthday celebration that game and I had a good day out in the city before it, was annoyed but nothing compared to the away game.

You are correct we will did sell them three goals.

Porto are better than Benfica for a start, so no :))
Benfica have 37 titles compared to Porto with 28. They are top of the league with 5 wins out of 5 matches. Plus our match against them is away. If we win over there I'd argue that is a far better result than against Porto at home

I thought our best result was Midgytland away. Best team was Porto, not up for debate really I don’t think they are Champions of Portuguese League.

Benfica have 37 titles compared to Porto with 28. They are top of the league with 5 wins out of 5 matches. Plus our match against them is away. If we win over there I'd argue that is a far better result than against Porto at home
St Etienne have the most titles in Ligue 1 doesn't make them better than PSG, but agree that beating Benfica away would be our best

Reactions: VGM
Back