Benfica matches away then home will let us know how good we really are.

CoplandRoad

Benfica are top of the Portuguese league having won 5 out of 5, scored 15 goals and conceded only 3, with 2 wins in Europa League, away then home.
This will be a proper footballing test for us.
A draw away and a home win would be my optimistic hopes for us, but this will be a big ask.
What's your view on these 2 big games for us?

Did they not lose CL qualifiers to PAOK Salonika, big litmus test for how good we are in the group but not as a whole for me. Domestically is a completely different ballgame.

I don’t know how Benfica compare to other teams we have played in Europe over the last few seasons but without being overconfident I fancy us against most teams just now, I’d be more than happy with 4 points from the 2 games.

Benfica are top of the Portuguese league having won 5 out of 5, scored 15 goals and conceded only 3, with 2 wins in Europa League, away then home.
A draw away and a home win would be my optimistic hopes for us, but this will be a big ask.

We don’t need to “know how good we really are”.... let’s just take each match as it comes & see where we end up? I doubt any of us have aspirations of winning the Europa League.

We haven’t been embarrassed under Gerrard in Europe yet, even if Benfica beat us twice, there’s no denying the progress the club has made in recent seasons.

A draw away and a home win would be my optimistic hopes for us, but this will be a big ask.ep
I think Benicia will be saying the same about us.We are a step up for them.

I see it as being similar to Porto last season, don't think they are the world beaters that some people are making them out to be.

Good start to their domestic season but it's only 5 games vs some of the worst teams in their league and KO'd from the Champions League by PAOK.

Best we have to go on is how they performed against Poznan and Standard.

These games will be a great challenge for us, the type of games we could only dream of a few years ago. We are improving and we should welcome, embrace and enjoy these matches. For me, we are back where we belong playing regular European football, I'm enjoying it and long may it continue - the down side being not being able to be at Ibrox due to Covid.
As long as we strive to be the very best we can be, better days and success will come our way. The League is priority, although European football gives the team invaluable experience and generates additional revenue for the club.
The Benfica matches, win, lose or draw won't define our season - we have a bigger target domestically. Things are looking good at the moment and we are sure to have the odd set back, we need to bounce back from these and maintain momentum. So far, so good - long may it continue.

1pt out of 6 would be a decent return. 2nd in the group is a fine achievement.

We are more than 4/1 for the win.

Same sort of price we were away to Porto.

Would take the same result.

Think the game will suit us better away from home. No pressure and counter attacking football. So glad to see the first leg is in Portugal

I went to their game against Shakhtar last season the day after we played Braga and wasn't too impressed. Shakhtar looked like scoring every time they went up the park. They've spent big money in summer though and have started this season well. Will be a big test for us.

They look to be romping the portuguese league already. Unbeaten. Looking to be our hardest test in Europe in recent years.

We’ve set ourselves up nicely with 2/2 wins so far, if we were to take 1 point from the 2 benfica games then we will still be in a decent position cause I’m more than confident that we will beat Liege at home then take something from Poznań away.

We've given ourselves a cushion with 6 points out of 6 which was crucial as this Benfica team will be up there with Porto as the hardest team we'll face. They also have a superb manager in Jorge Jesus.

We're capable of going there and getting a result but even if we don't, it changes nothing. One win from our final 4 games should be enough.

Losing to this Benfica team would be no disgrace and wouldn't change our trajectory in Europe.

Not over Galatasary or that lot.

They are no more of a challenge than what we have already faced

They've spent over £80m this summer and just sold a centre half for £65m

Of course they're a step up from Celtic. They've got more than double their co-efficient points for starters.

I don't see why we need to define how good we are over 2 games and heap more pressure on us.

We always perform with credit in Europe and I'm sure we will again but this will be the best team we have faced this season by a mile.

Benfica are a very good team but so were Porto. We faired not too badly against them last season. It'll be a tough couple of games, they've really strengthened their squad this summer and they've got an experienced, well regarded coach at the helm. These are the types of ties that we aim to be a part of, historic and prestigious match ups like this. Years gone by this double header wouldn't have looked out of place in the Champions League.

Benfica made an arse of their Champions League qualification but they are no mugs. It'll be a test but it's not one that will determine how good we are imo. We've picked up points in the games that matter against the sides we are theoretically on par with, any points in the next few games are a bonus imo.

The lovely thing is, they are looking at our stats and thinking the same thing, but worse.

Let's not forget. Benfica are a quality outfit.

We go into it on paper with no right to expect anything from the 2 games... Yet I find myself looking forward to the games and far from discounting them. Pressure is off... Let's play our own game and see if they can stay with us. Braga, Porto and Sporting haven't enjoyed it in the past certainly!

All those years in the doldrums... European nights were badly missed! But oh how they have returned in style!

Why can't we just be happy with how the team is playing and enjoy the ride? It's always ''next game is the real big one'' ''nothing won yet'' etc.

It has an element of truth to it but this team has proven itself in Europe over 3 seasons now. It's not a fluke. We can go anywhere in this competition and get a result. We took 4 points from Porto last season.

Taking 6 points from the first two games actually gives us a nice wee cushion. We can just go to Benfica and sit in (which we are superb at) and look to hit them on the counter. That style of game should actually suit us. Anything we pick up over there is a bonus.

At the end of the day it’s 11 vs 11 our back room guys get their homework right as they seem to have done so far then don’t think we really need to fear anyone . We have a defence that gives nothing away and players that can hurt you , bring it on .

Benfica have spent over 80 Million Euros they are a good team, but are they much better than Porto and Braga time will tell. A draw away and a victory at home and we are in the last 16.

Why can't we just be happy with how the team is playing and enjoy the ride? It's always ''next game is the real big one'' ''nothing won yet'' etc.

It has an element of truth to it but this team has proven itself in Europe over 3 seasons now. It's not a fluke. We can go anywhere in this competition and get a result. We took 4 points from Porto last season.

Taking 6 points from the first two games actually gives us a nice wee cushion. We can just go to Benfica and sit in (which we are superb at) and look to hit them on the counter. That style of game should actually suit us. Anything we pick up over there is a bonus.

This all day long! In a weird way the Benfica away game is probably the least important game for us between now and xmas.

I think it will tell us a lot, in effect we are playing a huge club, with a tremendous set up and very good technical players. We are a good team no doubt, but these are the games the players and management strive to be part of. We have nothing to fear and I believe they will be extremely respectful about our club and team. It should be a great occasion and I am so proud of our team that we are back at this level.

If we get a result in Lisbon, it will be incredible, if we don't its not the end of the world and lets the players know that we need to push on.

I don't think it's fair to say that everything we have had has been easy in comparison because it's not but this will definitely be our toughest test to date. However, our team seem to rise to these kind of games so I fancy our chances. I personally would be fairly happy with 2 draws although it would be nice to get a win.

If we defend well and pass the ball around like we did against Porto away last year we will have a decent chance. If we don’t keep the ball we could struggle

I actually think Kilmarnock on Sunday will tell us more. No pressure at all going to Benfica but if we drop anything at Killie questions will be asked after all the stick the mentally challengeds have taken recently.

That’s my position, they are the team to beat, and I expect them to take maximum points from the other two.

If they beat us twice they’d probably field reserves in the last 2 matches. We need to take points from them and guarantee qualification.

Being able to rest important players and give game time to the likes of Zungu and Itten could be very important in the coming months.

While it will show where we are in terms of overall level in Europe, the games should be treated in isolation IMO. Don’t let it have a bearing on what goes on in the league or the remainder of the EL. We are undoubtedly playing our best league football since getting back into the SPFL and are in a strong position to qualify from the EL even if we got skelpt the next two games. The hysteria on here after Livi and Hibs was horrendous despite the performances being decent.

Benfica will be the best team we will face this season. We know our limits, we will be built on a solid defence and play on the counter attack. Really need our front 3 firing like last season in the europa league to stand any chance

The 2 games are free hits for us with all the pressure on them to beat us. They are a champions league team normally but if we can reproduce what we done against Porto then we can take points from them. If we lose to them then its not a disgrace either. Lech and Standard will take points off each other which will make the Standard game more important than Benfica.

Back