Alfie's goal. A promise of things to come?

Dorrans

I thought he looked more like himself last night. Maybe realising he's no longer an automatic starter has re-kindled his interest. Probably reading too much into his goal celebration but when he was pointing skyward he looked like he was giving thanks for ending a barren spell.

So confidence booster, plus new found motivation to retain his place? Here's hoping. With a huge set of games ahead of the next break, what an asset a revitalised Alfie would be.

Would love to see him back to his best and playing against the Irish Olivier Tebiley come the next game against them. The ref would need to stop the game as an act of mercy.

Funny game football. Last week he was very poor in Belgium and then when Roofe come on we looked a whole lot better. I think had the rain not been so bad Roofe would have helped scud Liège last week.

Absolute roles reversed last night with the team labouring and then going up a notch or three when Morelos came on.

The problem for Alfredo hasn't been him, its been the way our striker has been asked to play, dropping deeper to link, leaving space for the other forwards to get in behind etc. The difference for me is, when Roofe does it he holds play and links well but then seems to lack the pace to get back up top. Whereas Alfredo is maybe a bit worse on the ball but he has the burst to get him back up with play.
I said last week the wee man just needs a goal, for me he is still the main man. I prefer Roofe playing where Hagi was and Alfredo up top. But its good to have these options.

I think we need to remember he was straight off the plane,after a 10,000 mile round trip to Colombia,in against the mhanks then away to Liege on that heavy pitch,the rest will have done him good.
Hopefully a fresh,focused Morelos is ready to start contributing much needed goals.

Hopefully.

A magnificent goal last night.

Almost like a Mark Walters cross into Hateley.

Morelos being dropped was way overdue but now that its happened if he can get anywhere near last seasons form, it could be vital. He's a match winner on his game.

It’s in all our best interests that Alfie rediscovers his best form. Hopefully he can kick on from this. Lets face it, a fit and confident Alfie is a huge asset for us, and it gives the gaffer great options up front, especially given the sheer amount of games we have.

I really think we simply burned ourselves out last season, and hopefully our much stronger squad this year allows us to rotate more and avoid that.

You can tell it is been getting him down by the way the rest of the players reacted to him scoring.
They all looked genuinely chuffed for him. Everyone made a point of congratulating him, Tav had a wee word With him as did Goldson and Kamara looked like he was bursting with pride for him.

stolen from the BBC, his euro goals record :)

26 Jul: Osijek (away)

9 Aug: Maribor (home)

4 Oct: Rapid Vienna (home) 2

9 Jul: St Joseph's (away)

18 Jul: St Joseph's (home) 3

8 Aug: Midtjylland (away)

15 Aug: Midtjylland (home) 2

22 Aug: Legia Warsaw (home)

3 Oct: Young boys (away)

24 Oct: Porto (away)

7 Nov: Porto (home)

28 Nov: Feyenoord (away) 2

12 Dec: Young Boys (home)

17 Sept: Lincoln Red Imps (away) 2

29 Oct: Lech Poznan (home)

I think we need to remember he was straight off the plane,after a 10,000 mile round trip to Colombia,in against the mhanks then away to Liege on that heavy pitch,the rest will have done him good.
Hopefully a fresh,focused Morelos is ready to start contributing much needed goals.
Gerrard mentioned as much last night. Said they saw he wasnt as sharp and needed some time out to rest and to focus on getting him back to that level of sharpness we all know.

It was a tremendous way to return too.

I thought he looked more like himself last night. Maybe realising he's no longer an automatic starter has re-kindled his interest. Probably reading too much into his goal celebration but when he was pointing skyward he looked like he was giving thanks for ending a barren spell.

So confidence booster, plus new found motivation to retain his place? Here's hoping. With a huge set of games ahead of the next break, what an asset a revitalised Alfie would be.

No fallout ....nobody dropped ( as pointed out )still in the gaffers plans , good to see the faith trusted in him by Stevie G brought on to do a difficult job , handled it with ease .....Well done The Rangers ...well done Alfredo ...WATP

Alfie has got some fan club on here. I’ve no argument with that but I think it would be wise to see how another couple of games go before we start declaring ‘he’s back’.

I don’t think there is a single Bear won’t want Alfie to hit the heights again. Let’s hope he does, it’s in his interest as well as Rangers’.

He needed a kick up the arse and for the manager to send a message that his performances did not warrant an automatic starting place.

Let's hope this is a start of better things though.

Delighted for Alfie he needed that, hopefully that'll kickstart him on the goal trail.

It shows the benefit of having competition for places, strength on the bench and the fact we no longer have to play some players every game (probably Tav aside).

The reliance is of him now. Hopefully it will relax and invigorate him and he can go on a mad scoring spree.

I think he's being managed cleverly at the moment.

Or giving thanks because he broke a record?

The thing I like about Morelos is the more goals he scores, the more hungrier he seems to get.

You can see him bursting his arse more and more after he gets a goal, 1 is never enough for him.

That goal last night will have done his confidence the world of good and he made sure he didn't miss it. We also went up a gear with him just coming on the park last night.

It's not even close that he's our best striker when on it and there needs to be a way to get him, Roofe, Kent and Hagi all clicking in the final third. Mouth watering.

Of course it's a sign
For whatever reason Alfredo hasn't been at his best recently and imho has been unfairly panned on here when I thought he was still contributing and working hard for the team.As I stated over the past 3 or 4 weeks it was a goal he needed for a boost to his overall confidence. Strikers thrive on goals.Heres hoping the wee man goes on a golden run as,I believe he is the best man for this at our club. Love the we man. People tend to forget he's still quite young doesn't speak much English. Throughout his barren spell the manager has still played him.That tells me
that SG sees enough on a daily basis to select him.
That will do for me.

Hard to judge on limited time last night but he did seem more himself.

Whilst he’s our player we need him to regain his 2019 form. Simple as that.

A fully firing Morelos can only be a great thing for us this season.

I’d start him on Sunday after last night. Maybe a big goal is what is needed to kickstart his season and I say that as someone that’s been critical of his performances so far this season

The way I see it with it Alfie is, if he wants to go elsewhere and play his football then I am OK with that. Unfortunately this is part and parcel of us playing in Scotland. Young, promising players will want to go and play in bigger leagues but he'll be extremely lucky to ever find a club as big as Rangers.

All I ask for is he give us 100% every time he pulls on a Rangers jersey up until the day he does go, which I haven't seen a great deal of this season.

Hopefully last night is the turning point for him this season.

Even without his goal last night he made a huge difference to our game. Roofe is good, but he's good at different things to Alfie and last night what we needed was that power and aggression to lead the line. The goal was a 'bonus' but if its inspired Alfie on to rediscover his form then it can only be to the benefit of all. In time, if he does, I could see Roofe playing on the right. Early doors for that yet though. The more players we have on form the better.

If Alfredo wants his move he needs to get back to scoring and back to the player he was last year, I hope last night is the start for him to get back to his best.

Exactly this.

He has everything he needs to shine right here and put himself firmly back in the shop window.
He also has teammates he knows back to front including two "wingers" capable of delivering service to rival anything else in Europe. That aside id like to think he's been here long enough to "want it" as badly as the rest of us...... Get your head right wee man and realise all your dreams in one magical season with the Rangers!

As far as goals go, he's always been something of a streak player.
Hopefully this is the start of a hot streak for him.

Even without his goal last night he made a huge difference to our game. Roofe is good, but he's good at different things to Alfie and last night what we needed was that power and aggression to lead the line. The goal was a 'bonus' but if its inspired Alfie on to rediscover his form then it can only be to the benefit of all. In time, if he does, I could see Roofe playing on the right. Early doors for that yet though. The more players we have on form the better.
Alfie and Roofe could be dynamite together, if we play Roofe as a 10.

He certainly looked more like himself when he came on. His passing and touch was much better than it had been previously. Hopefully the goal gives him some much needed confidence and he can take it into the game against Kilmarnock.

There was also an incident last night where he very nearly rolled a defender and that’s something he used to be fantastic at that’s been missing for a while now. Our players either aim for him with a throw in or just lift a pass in his direction and he’ll have his back to the defender, use his strength to back in then spin and leave them for dead. He was a baw hair away last night but the defender got a toe in the ball, but it was encouraging that he was looking to do that again.

Wee man has goals in him we all know that. A form player that does unfortunately blow hot and cold. But when he's on it is absolutely unplayable and a huge asset for us. If he can hit his good spell from now until new year then we are in for a treat. We've been playing well without his goals so the prospect of him also on a game is mouthwatering and should have all defences sh*tting themselves.

I think the penny has finally dropped, or SG has pissed some sense into his ear.If he is to have any hope whatsoever of getting a move away from one of the best clubs in the world, most of who's fans adore him, he will have to get the finger out and show any potential suitors the bang for their buck.Nobody is going to lay out the kind of money we are looking for to get a moody and can't be arsed striker who turns it on when it suits. I say this as one of his biggest fans.

There’s just something about the wee man that’s loveable,he’s been in a shit place for a while now but I just hope this goal is the jolt that Spurs him on.

I think Alfie has scored his 21 goals from a total of 37 appearances and included one penalty.
Super Ally scored 21 in 49 appearances and included three penalties. I think about seven of Ally's goals were in the Uefa Cup as well.

Alfie has got some fan club on here. I’ve no argument with that but I think it would be wise to see how another couple of games go before we start declaring ‘he’s back’.

I don’t think there is a single Bear won’t want Alfie to hit the heights again. Let’s hope he does, it’s in his interest as well as Rangers’.
Who's declaring that 'he's back? Not me. In fact I posed the question as to whether or not his performance yesterday might be a hint of him refinding some form. What he doesn't need are folks looking for grounds to criticise when he has just put in a decent performance

Who's declaring that 'he's back? Not me. In fact I posed the question as to whether or not his performance yesterday might be a hint of him refinding some form. What he doesn't need are folks looking for grounds to criticise when he has just put in a decent performance
Mibbee not you but a lot of people are he’s convinced he’s back to normal.

I hope he is and I’m not criticising last night’s performance, he won us the game ffs.

But whether or not he’s back on song has to be shown over more than half an hour.

Surprised he only got 2 in the groups in 2018.

I suppose there was the disallowed one in Moscow that should have stood.

Itten, Morelos, Roofe, Kent, Defoe and Hagi are fighting it out for 3 places up front alongside Barker, Stewart and Jones. The gradual building of a quality side is completely evident when you put it like that for me. I think it's obvious that Itten was our replacement for Morelos anticipating we had sold him.

Back