Balogun - How Good?

Not when Goldson is one of Mr Gerrard’s trusted lieutenants, who gets a rest during international breaks.

There are also some players who just don't seem to benefit from a rest, they need the consistent stream of games to stay at their best. Tav is another obvious one and I suspect Kent is developing into another.

On-topic, Balogun has been a great signing. I love our ability to find these gems in the lower leagues.

Goldson and Helander us still my preferred duo at the back but don't have any qualms about Balogun stepping in for either of them

I think he’s terrific and reads the game very well, he also covered well for Bassey last week in Liege. He’s a classy player, I do think Helander is the best centre back we have, but it’s tremendous the strength we have at the back now.

Thought he played well, got caught out of position for his booking, but I thought recovered and won the ball fairly. I like him but Helander makes me feel more assured, his positioning and reading of the game is usually spot on
I didn’t think his “booking” was even a foul. The referee was a bit all over the place with a few of his calls, although none gamechanging

I feel safe when he plays
I'm not going to say he's better or worse than others - mostly because there's probably not that much between them to be fair
But with Balogun he definitely does all the simple things well & he brings a solidness to our shape that helps all those around him
I trust him & that's why he makes me feel safe
Isn't it great we've sorted out the centre back positions with quality options
It's not that long ago we were really weak in this area
Great post.

Your second line for me is key. Not sure why some are trying to assert their favourite is light years ahead of any other.

Goldson, Helander and Balogun are all excellent centrebacks at our level. One will be a little better in a specific attribute than the others. But there is little between the 3 based on what they have done this season.

Goldson is clearly the gaffer’s number 1, but any 2 from 3 is a solid partnership and would make me confident.

What a brilliant signing he's been.

We get him and the scum get Duffy LOL.

Comfortable with any of our three main CBs in any game now – and I also love Katić!

It just shows that there are bargains to be had if you look for them.

Look at what the tims paid and are paying for that Duffy diddy and compare it with what we did for Balogan.

Who is easily the better defender.

Hard to compare them tbh. Balogun is a lot better with the ball at his feet, don't see many aimless 40 yard punts into no man's land and comfortable walking out and taking on players. Helander reads the game very well and is a basic no nonsense defender. Goldston, is just Goldston, inspires those around him. It wouldn't really worry me who was in the starting line up between the three of them

Goldson and Tavernier get a rest every international break. They're two of our most important players, so I'd rather see them rested in cup games, or brought off in games we're leading by 2+ with 20 mins or so to go.
Good point I hadn’t considered re: internationals.

Good defender who does the basics and has that added bonus of having a bit of pace and bringing the ball out from the back.

Goldson and Helander is our best and first choice pairing though.

Yeah we have three real quality cb now, Katic will need to go out on loan next year to get the game time. Because as of right now when he gets back to fitness he’s fourth choice at best. Baloguns just an overall better player, better defender and better on the ball. Think we may see both Edmundson and Katic go out on loan and we might just promote Mayo, or similar youth cb to cover.

Well, we’ll see. Had the same debates last season but it was Helander vs Katic, most seem to have come round on that one now.
We will see.

Current evidence doesn’t support that any one of our 3 senior CBs shits all over the other 2.

Current evidence suggests we have 3 very decent players of different strengths who are not massively different in quality.

Is Helander the best. Perhaps. Is he miles ahead of the others as some claim. I don’t see that.

The O P was about Balogun . You said he was good ,why couldn't you just leave it at that. As for your other content you seem to be in a wee world of your own which I'll leave you with......

We will see.

Current evidence doesn’t support that any one of our 3 senior CBs shits all over the other 2.

Current evidence suggests we have 3 very decent players of different strengths who are not massively different in quality.

Is Helander the best. Perhaps. Is he miles ahead of the others as some claim. I don’t see that.

Great Post...pretty much nail on head for me. What a good situation when various people are arguing who is best from 3 outstanding defenders.

The O P was about Balogun . You said he was good ,why couldn't you just leave it at that. As for your other content you seem to be in a wee world of your own which I'll leave you with......

Because I believe Helander is better and we’re a better team with Helander in it. Not really that difficult to understand.

Probably the first time I’ve ever been pulled up for calling a Rangers player good on here.....

My understanding is that Duffy is paid entirely by Celtic and if he was at Brighton, you've got to be thinking 50-60K a week. That probably covers Helander, Goldson and Balogun. They are literally pissing money up walls and down the drain.

My understanding is that Duffy is paid entirely by Celtic and if he was at Brighton, you've got to be thinking 50-60K a week. That probably covers Helander, Goldson and Balogun. They are literally pissing money up walls and down the drain.
£45k seems to be the accepted figure. And as you say, Duffy 100% confirmed in Twitter Celtic pay the full whack. Whatever that is.

Forgive my name but how accomplished does Balogun look? He’s come in, not had a lot of practice with his partners, had to put up with being in and out of the side but he is quick, excellent on the ball and decent in the air.

Looks superb.
Not going to get into that debate again, but this guy is quality.
Strong in every department.

Defence is starting to remind me of the days under Walter when we would sign one brilliant defender after the other.

Our defence right is now is littered with fantastic options, really does make a change from the nightmare days that was Rob Kiernan, Philipe Senderos and Russel Martin.

I’d like to see this for the Hamilton game a week on Sunday. Prepare for worst case in Goldson getting a knock at some point and also give him a rest.

Agree Louch.

If Goldson sustained an injury just before a big game then at least they have a match together.

Balogun is a very good signing, you can see why he has 32 caps for a side of Nigeria's quality. I think Helander is a better defender but it's brilliant to have such an able deputy.

Out of interest, was Helander carrying a knock hence being ommited last night?

Or just Gerrard doing what he's been doing brilliantly and picking horses for courses / rotating to keep everyone sharp and happy?

We’re arguing who’s the best now.

Three years ago we were arguing who was the worst.
So true....towards the end of last season I watched Balogun instrumental in Wigan's revival. He was immense. With the ball at feet he moves naturally but he's not ( yet ) bringing the ball much higher than half way. Don't know why because this extra layer to his game is a joy to watch. Maybe he doesn't feel sufficiently confident yet or lack of minutes or just good midfield lads in front of him who dont need him cramping their style, dunno. What I do know is how lucky we are to have him.

So true....towards the end of last season I watched Balogun instrumental in Wigan's revival. He was immense. With the ball at feet he moves naturally but he's not ( yet ) bringing the ball much higher than half way. Don't know why because this extra layer to his game is a joy to watch. Maybe he doesn't feel sufficiently confident yet or lack of minutes or just good midfield lads in front of him who dont need him cramping their style, dunno. What I do know is how lucky we are to have him.

Excellent.

Was it something like 7 shutouts in 9 games for Wigan Hindley ?

Forgive my name but how accomplished does Balogun look? He’s come in, not had a lot of practice with his partners, had to put up with being in and out of the side but he is quick, excellent on the ball and decent in the air.

Looks superb.
Another great performance from him. We now have players who are solid in that area.

Back