Changes for Sunday v Killie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand this ‘tired’ argument.

90 min twice a week shouldn’t be beyond super fit athletes.

Tennis players manage up to 5 hours every other day with no team mates to help.

And it’s amazing how much less tiring it is when you are winning.
Aye, fatigue is just a made up concept.

Difficult one with Kent. He looks like the player most in need of a rest but this is such a big game we want our best players.

It's far too simplistic, bordering on stupid, to suggest Jones starting purely because he used to play for Killie.

He was playing for Killie then AGAINST Rangers. He was up against a team who were attacking constantly, and thus leaving certain gaps for exploitation - that's why he performed well (on occasion!). He's on the other side of the pitch this time.

Jones has shown nothing thus far to suggest he's suited to playing for Rangers against a packed Kilmarnock defence, at Rugby Park.

Certainties:

Morelos for Roofe.
Jack for Davis/Arfield.

Possibilities:

Aribo for Hagi (depends if Joe's legs are up to playing on plastic yet)
Jones for Kent (would be a surprise but Ryan is slightly off it and Jones biggest bonus is familiarity with the pitch)
McLaughlin for McGregor (given Greegs injury issues)

I'd stick with Balogun for this one and bring in Big Fil on Thursday when we will, most probably, be defending a bit deeper.

The fact our manager picks AM every match he is fully fit appears to negate your point that JM “is the better option“ in these games.

If you are going to cite the manager for the implementation of the Pirlo-keeper strategy you must also concede that the fact the same manage always picks AM when fit suggests that fans on here are wildly overstating the importance of this tactic or JM’s superiority in executing it.

Cant have it both ways. Can’t cite the manager as the argument for employing this purported essential tactic, but then ignore the fact the manager prefers AM anyway.

In every game this season, regardless of who starts in goals, Gerrard has employed this tactic so he obviously sees the benefit of it. So to suggest it's just some weird FF fixation is nonsense.

Tell that to medical staff who are knocking out six 12 hour shifts a week.
Or the factory workers on 12hr continental shifts or shop workers working every hour god sends on minimum wage to make ends meet.

We all work hard in our own way. These footballers are pushing themselves to physical exhaustion 2-3 times a week. They are only human. It takes its toll

Or the factory workers on 12hr continental shifts or shop workers working every hour god sends on minimum wage to make ends meet.
Exactly my point. Footballers are getting paid £1000s a week to knock their pan in for 3 hours.

I can see that a player may tire during a game But the idea that they need a break after it doesn’t cut it for me.

They mostly get a rest day after it anyway. But they should be raring to go again next match. You never get folks saying Tav looks tired and I’ll bet he covers more ground than anybody else in the park.

I was a strong advocate of picking Hagi last night but he would come out of my team for Sunday.
I agree, last night he got caught on the ball and was short with his passing on numerous occasions, how he stayed on beyond half time is a mystery, whether it's a confidence thing or not I don't know but he is looking like half the player he was when he came to us.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Kamara Davis Arfield
Kent Roofe Jones.

Going by today's presser Morelos, Jack assessed for knocks.

Reactions: cav
A plastic pitch in gale force winds is a great leveller and hence I’m a wee bit edgy about this one. We may well need to get in the trenches and fight to secure the three points. Do that and we’ll be putting down a helluva marker.

If Itten is fit, I'd play him at Rugby Park. Killie will be their usual thuggery on that horrific pitch. If there is one game I'd like to see an early Rangers goal, it is this one coming up.

McGregor in goal

Tavernier/Barisic down the flanks

Goldson/Helander marshalling the back

Jack /Kamara breaking play and moving it forward

Zungu or Arfield /Aribo in the creative and box to box roles, out wide where needed

Roofe / Morelos up front

Give Kent a break for Thurs.
Sunday’s game is bigger than thursday.
Kent needs to start.

Seriously we have so many good options. I have read a dozen great line ups on this thread. But Sunday isn't about talent or tactics it's about will to win so I think SG will look to his leaders, McGregor, Goldson, Tav, Arfield & Kent. Then supplement that with the guys in training who look like they are ready to run through walls for the team.
I am really excited about the game, I always want us to win big but I really want to see Kilmarnock get a doing.

A win on Sunday would really lay down a marker(cliche,I know).
But we failed the last time against Hibs.
Win this,and the Tims could fold

In every game this season, regardless of who starts in goals, Gerrard has employed this tactic so he obviously sees the benefit of it. So to suggest it's just some weird FF fixation is nonsense.
Moving the goal posts now. Nice one.

So Gerrard won’t be picking JM over AM for his range of passing then?

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Jack Davis Kamara
Aribo Morelos Jones

The games on these pitches suit the "cage footballer".

Moving the goal posts now. Nice one.

So Gerrard won’t be picking JM over AM for his range of passing then?
Moving the goalposts?! How’d you reach that conclusion?

Who said Gerrard would be picking JM? The OP asked ‘what changes would you make’, I gave my opinion on the team I would pick and the reasons behind the changes.

Last edited:

Not even a close comparison mate.

No physical contact in tennis and regular 20/30 second breaks between intense anaerobic bursts.

Contact sports put different types of demands on the human body and 2 games a week over a prolonged period is a heavy load.

Every sport has different demands.

Just so you know mate they have training sessions as well as games LOL

Everyone is ignoring the obvious here , none of us want it but Barker will start . I’d go with Jones but it will be barker . It’s inexplicable

Early goal and we win comfortably imo.
The longer it stays at nils then Kilmarnock will grow in confidence and creep into the game.

No idea about the team. Some of our players looked leggy towards the end on Thursday so expecting some changes.

I’d have Morelos, aribo, jack and helander in and roofe, arfield, Davis and balogun dropping out with hagi dropping into arfield’s position and aribo further up, hagi’s strength is his final ball which we will need against this mob

The day I want Barker in a Rangers team before Hagi, will be a twilight zone day for me.

You know, like getting sea sick standing in a puddle.
Apparently Dylan (of all people) way back in 73 told Broosie that you didn't have to use every word in the English language on your first album.
Your post reminded me of that. Anyway it is getting late and I am Gubbed ;)

Last bastion of someone who has no argument.

At the point that you compared preparing for elite sports performance to doing a shift at work I realised that you were no longer trying to debate in good faith and with logic.

I didn’t see the point in providing a counter argument to an absurd proposition.;)

Looking at The quality of our squad I don’t think it’s as important to get the line up exactly right anymore But how those who are selected approach the game on Sunday and how the manager changes it during the game as he did on Thursday night.
this game is massive rangers, just do it.

Apparently Dylan (of all people) way back in 73 told Broosie that you didn't have to use every word in the English language on your first album.
Your post reminded me of that. Anyway it is getting late and I am Gubbed ;)

Hey, Mr Tambourineman,

I was probably a bit harsh on Barker.

Maybe he could play tomorrow and have an absolute stonker of a game. The game were he does something that finally comes off for him and his confidence goes through the roof.

I'd love to see that, as does everyone.

It's just that in my tiny, wee mind, I want everyone to be a footballer in the purest sense and that is just bonkers and an ideal that works only in my mind.

Every team that was ever successful needs the scrappers, the carriers and fetchers to do the unglamorous jobs.

Maybe, just maybe if that one chance comes Barker's way it could be the dam buster.

After the Livingston draw we lamented how the team wasted the opportunity to pull 8 points clear. Some even questioned the team's mentality.

Well, this is an opportunity to put that right. Killie away off the back of a tough European game. A win would answer so many criticisms that have been levelled at Gerrard.

Absolutely massive game and I wouldn't disagree with the poster on page one who says it's one of the manager's biggest matches.

I'm struggling to pick a team to be honest - for all the right reasons.

Sunday certainly isn't the time to rest Goldson. He starts alongside Helander.

Kamara, Davis, Jack, Aribo and Arfield is the head scratcher.

4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3?

On form, I wouldn't have Hagi or Barker near the starting 11.

I'd have no issues starting Roofe on this pitch. If we are paying that sort of money for a player then they should be capable of playing on the plastic of Kilmarnock. It's a toss up between Roofe and Morelos.

I'm struggling to pick a team to be honest - for all the right reasons.

Sunday certainly isn't the time to rest Goldson. He starts alongside Helander.

Kamara, Davis, Jack, Aribo and Arfield is the head scratcher.

4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3?

On form, I wouldn't have Hagi or Barker near the starting 11.

I'd have no issues starting Roofe on this pitch. If we are paying that sort of money for a player then they should be capable of playing on the plastic of Kilmarnock. It's a toss up between Roofe and Morelos.

I'm struggling a wee bit with 'on form' and Hagi, and believe me this isn't about sticking up for the boy at every turn.

If you say on the basis of Thursday night, Hagi should be dropped, then it is hard to argue against. But when you think of his class in setting up the first goal in his last domestic game, which was only last Sunday, then there is where I'm struggling.

Barker, I just cannot get my head round. I'd hate to think he is one break away from being the player we'd love to see. But right now, I just don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back