Nobbie Stiles Has Died.

Seen him playing when I was a boy for Middlesbrough against Hivs at Easter Road. Damaged good then but one of those dirty wee bastards that all teams seemed to have back then. RIP.

That line from the “Three Lions” song “But I still see that tackle by Moore, And when Linekar scored, Bobby belting the ball, And Nobby Dancing” always struck a chord because it basically describes the dance floor at every single wedding or work’s dance ever!

RIP Nobby.

He did. His family are convinced it was due to heading the ball.
Think it was Alzheimer’s, he had been suffering for a while by all accounts, a proper footballer who in later years sold his collection of medals, which is tragic. Gone but never forgotten, one of England’s immortals.

Marching on together.

Dirty wee bugger who ended up with just about every medal the game had to offer. Alf Ramsey also backed him to the hilt so he must have been worth it. RIP Nobby Stiles: another character gone from the game.

He was actually very polite and studious off the park. Met him after Middlesbrough’s friendly with Hamilton in 1973, the season they romped Div 2 with a midfield of Graham Souness, David Armstrong and Bobby Murdoch. Nobby joked that was the only game Borough would win all season.
He actually played Bekenbauer very fairly in the 66 WCF, and I don’t think Eusebio had any complaints when Nobby man marked him in the semi.

He was actually very polite and studious off the park. Met him after Middlesbrough’s friendly with Hamilton in 1973, the season they romped Div 2 with a midfield of Graham Souness, David Armstrong and Bobby Murdoch. Nobby joked that was the only game Borough would win all season.
He actually played Bekenbauer very fairly in the 66 WCF, and I don’t think Eusebio had any complaints when Nobby man marked him in the semi.
Crap spelling, Graeme obviously.

Ramsey was a very good man manager, before he lost the plot and was back stabbed by the English media. He saw something in Stiles that fitted in with his masterplan perfectly. Stiles was a very underrated player similar to Billy Bremner.

Back