Alan Brazil calls for Celtic to compensate abuse victims and disagrees with separate entity claim

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Alan Brazil has called for Celtic Boys Club victims to be compensated by the Hoops as he revealed the abuse he suffered at the hands of Jim Torbett still casts a shadow over his life.

The talkSPORT breakfast show host was just 13-years-old when he was assaulted by the coach during his time with Celtic Boys Club.

Brazil eventually testified against Torbett in court in 1998.

The beast was jailed for two years for abusing him and two other boys between 1967 and 1974.

Some 20 years later Torbett was found guilty of sexually assaulting another three boys and sentenced to six years.

Writing in his new autobiography, Only Here For a Visit, Brazil recalls the abuse Torbett subjected him to.

He said: “Before a big European tournament, he invited a big gang of us round and I remember him touching and kissing some of the lads, before dishing up ice cream.

“He sat down next to me, started kissing my head and put his hand between my legs.

"I recall that I was wearing my Boys Club blazer and grey slacks, and can still picture the leer on his face.

"I froze for a couple of seconds, then a couple of lads walked in, at which point I jumped off the couch, ran to the bathroom and locked myself in."

Brazil admits Torbett is the only person he's ever hated in his life as the beast's abuse still casts a shadow over him.

He added: "I've only hated one person in my life and that's Jim Torbett. For as long as he's alive, there will be a shadow hanging over me.

"Who knows how many kids would have gone on to be professional footballers had their lives not been ruined by Torbett.

"It's frightening that those evil b******s destroyed the lives of so many people.

“I don’t wish anyone to die, I’d rather that they just threw the key away and just let him rot because he’s destroyed so many people’s lives.

"These people are monsters.”

Three other men linked to the boys' club have been jailed for abusing young boys in recent years.

Legal papers were lodged in June on behalf of a survivor who is seeking compensation from Celtic.

The test case is expected to be heard in court within months and another 20 people are set to sue the club.

Earlier this year, Celtic said they were "very sorry" the abuse happened but have insisted the boys' club was an entirely separate entity with which it had "historic connections".

Brazil insists that for him, the matter is now over with, but he admits that he didn't see any separation between the clubs at the time.

And he is adamant that other victims of abuse at Celtic Boys Club should be compensated by the Hoops for what they were forced to endure.

He said: “For years, Celtic’s official line was that the Boys Club was a separate organisation, that they were not legally culpable and therefore wouldn’t be issuing an apology.

“I understood why they took that position because Celtic are a business and issuing an apology would have opened them up to maybe hundreds of compensation claims.

"But when I was a kid, I didn't see any separation between Celtic Boys Club and the 'big' club.

"I wore the same strip, my blazer had the same badge and I was watched by Celtic scouts. As far as I was concerned I was playing for Celtic's junior side.

"To say there was no connection isn't right.

"This terrible story should not be about business and lawyers and money.

"It should be about the victims and Celtic supporters, people who have loved the club all their lives and feel let down.

“Celtic did finally make some sort of apology in 2020, but the victims of the abuse deserve more than an apology, they deserve to be compensated.”

What Brazil and the rest of that club's victims have gone through is incomprehensible. For goodness knows how many children to have suffered at the hands of countless sick, depraved, criminal animals and for those in positions of trust at the club to have known about it, and chosen to do nothing, makes me so angry and sad I can't put it into words.

Let us be honest, Torbett cost Celtc the services of Alan Brazil who would probably have gone on to be a great for them.
Why any fan of this club would defend this monster by refusing to recognise the harm he did to all those kids, most of them Celtc fans themselves, and also the damage he has done to Celtc FC itself, is beyond sanity.
The present culture of living in denial will only continue the hurt.
This club and its supporting community will never properly expunge this running sore until they publicly cleanse themselves by reaching out to those damaged and to open their past to a full disclosure.
To continue to deny will continue the evil culture that stalks the corridors of Celtc Park.

Feel terrible for the guy and the others who were abused. The fact celtic are trying to wriggle out of any involvement is absolutely reprehensible, the fact the legacy media are not even entertaining the story is also vile. I hope the kids find peace and that revolting club are destroyed.

Big respect for that piece. Easy to say what these guys should say and do. I cannot comprehend what they have been through and I guess each victim will deal with things in their own way.

He said it was over for him. I say let him have that. He testified, saw the first conviction and has now said what we all thought. These bastards are evil. There could be hundreds of victims, probably are. He saw no difference between the boys club and the football club because there was none. He hates the monster who abused him. He thinks that the abusers should rot in prison. He thinks compensation should be paid by the football club.

He might know more. He probably does, but there will be legal restrictions on what can be printed. A real investigation might reveal more but as it stands, he has my respect for telling his story.

Let’s be perfectly clear here - Alan Brazil has his faults but the demons he has far outweighs them and he has made the very best of his talent and opportunities. Others have not been so lucky.

I applaud him for using his prominent position to speak again about his abuse at the hands of Torbett and for his open support for victims who suffered like he did.

Hopefully this is the tipping point that makes all the great work people on this forum and beyond have done all the more worthwhile.

The victims of this abuse deserve it.

I think Brazil was one of the bravest people to come out and speak about what he went through. I admire him for that,
How can he still support and follow that team after what happened?
And therein lies the problem!
I too admire him for having the guts to come out publicly with such a personal admission but to continue to support the organisation that facilitated such an abominable trauma onto you and scarred him for life...how can you continue to even stomach the mention of their name?
That's just beyond bizarre!

Hundreds of claims is scary if true. He clearly knows more.

Brazil insists that for him, the matter is now over with, but he admits that he didn't see any separation between the clubs at the time.

Until every last victim receives a proper apology and adequate compensation and the abusers and enablers jailed it will never be over

I doubt he will say another word about it now...and yes I also think he knows more

mentally challengeds on social media are quick to throw things back at Rangers supporters who raise the subject which mustn't ever be spoken of.
Wonder how they'll react to one of their own who, sadly, actually had to endure it.

Can't imagine the horror of what he, and others went through.
It seems incredible that it went on for so long.

Well done to Alan Brazil for saying what he has - I've always quite enjoyed his Talksport show; he is miles better than Jim White.
Never comes across a a bitter one - and numbers Ally, Eck and John Wark , amongst other Gers, as friends.

I agree. He is a big Celtc supporter same as we are Rangers fans. I have no issue with that.

What I struggle with is remaining a Celtc fan knowing and having suffered at the hands of Torbett et al.

Baffling.

What I struggle with is him remaining a fan of the CLUB who put him through that. This is not just the hands of Torbett that have betrayed these young boys, this is to this day, still entrenched in that CLUB.

Alan Brazil never played for them. Never signed a form. Never wore a blazer. Never went to parkhead under their care. Never, ever has he been anything do with that club..............

That’s their defence. Yet he has a conviction of one of their coaches for abuse.

Brave for his own self well being I agree.
Brave for what he actually knows. I will not give him any free reign there.

I agree. He is a big Celtc supporter same as we are Rangers fans. I have no issue with that.

What I struggle with is remaining a Celtc fan knowing and having suffered at the hands of Torbett et al.

Baffling.

Many have already left the club and many more are going to, and I hope many more will.

Well said Alan. Very brave to do so but even though he is a loyal fan he knows the difference between right and wrong.

I wonder if others like Nevin will now come forward and speak. It’ll hopefully start a domino effect from which their separate entity nonsense is blown out the water.

Heart goes out to Brazil reading that.

Hopefully he and the other victims of celtic's paedophile ring receive justice and a public and full apology.

Call me an old cynic, but I see in the article he has just brought out his autobiography. Coincidence ???

Back