Open Goal Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in with an open mind, but that was tough.

Slaney is dreadful at present. It’s not even funny. He’s just miles out his depth, and truthfully, he’s ill and should not be on air.

I don’t mind Ferry at all tbh.

Does look like they need a change up though. We can’t be the only cross section who feels it’s going backwards.

Derek Ferguson and McAvennie are woeful, also.

Can anyone tell me the time stamp where they get into it over Rangers? I don't have time to watch the full thing today, cheers.

I don't know why some folk on here even watch it, It's clearly not aimed towards you if you're looking for straight down the middle football insight, It's a few boys talking their mind and having a laugh. I couldn't really give a %^*& about masks slipping or however else you want to phrase it, I'd rather they give their actual thoughts than try too hard to be "impartial".. The hatred towards Slane is just strange too.

Can anyone tell me the time stamp where they get into it over Rangers? I don't have time to watch the full thing today, cheers.

I don’t have the time stamp, but they start with the mentally challengeds, then onto us. Maybe 15/20mins.

See these guys on here saying Kevin Kyle speaks sense, any chance of sending a link to that particular Podcast because I'm sure I've listened to them all but must have missed that lump of woods great insight. Fucking clueless is an understatement.

See these guys on here saying Kevin Kyle's speaks sense, any chance of sending a link to that particular Podcast because I'm sure I've listened to them all but must have missed that lump of woods great insight. Fucking clueless is an understatement.
Sure I posted weeks ago saying the same thing. Guys miles out his depth. Slaney is intolerable - and fair play to anyone who can digest his nasaly voice and 'football insight'

Just listening to this - and Slaney explains how he didn't know how to wipe his arse until he was 17 and carried skiddy boxers in his pockets. Why do people find that funny? He's a clatty bastard

Think the main pod could really do with dropping Kyle and replacing him with an alternative guest was he week, Ferguson and even the likes of Tierney, John Higgins and McGeady (I’ve surprised myself at that!) have genuinely been decent value and freshens it up a bit. Also gives them the option of not having to focus too much on the weekends games if they weren’t too eventful.

The coupon show was a hundred times better without McAvennie this week, he can’t let anyone finish a sentence (which was referenced plenty this week) I’m not 100% sure on Derek Ferguson to be honest but at least with Lewis playing a central role in Scottish football, it at least gives some logical reason for him being there. I do think the who knows wins element has completely overtaken the show though so clearly they are having to push that from a monetary point for view

I don't know why some folk on here even watch it, It's clearly not aimed towards you if you're looking for straight down the middle football insight, It's a few boys talking their mind and having a laugh. I couldn't really give a %^*& about masks slipping or however else you want to phrase it, I'd rather they give their actual thoughts than try too hard to be "impartial".. The hatred towards Slane is just strange too.

Agree mate. I don't see the mask slipping on Ferry. You know he's a Celtic fan but I think he's quite fair in what he says. Mentioned re-watching our game against Galatasaray and how impressed he is with our shape with and without the ball.

Find Slane quite funny as times.

Kyle does talk some amount of shite at times, However I'm sure I read somewhere that it's helped with his mental health so don't see him leaving anytime soon.

Reactions: d72
Sure I posted weeks ago saying the same thing. Guys miles out his depth. Slaney is intolerable - and fair play to anyone who can digest his nasaly voice and 'football insight'
People dont watch him for his football insight, the show has done well out of liking people for being idiots or funny. Thats what he is. A wee funny guy to laugh at/with. Even when he said last week celtic are back I ddnt even take it as uber bitter tim, I took it as funny adhd boy says first thing that came into his head after a pretty easy win.

Definitely been a reduction in output and actual football chatter since the mentally challengeds have been pish imo.

You can hear the bitter 19th Century Terrorist coming out in Slaney, Si and Kyle now that's been easier to hide over the years.

You can also tell only Si and obviously Halliday bother to watch the Rangers games the other two just give generic bitter replies.

Feck knows what they'll be like in May if we can do it:D

Agree mate. I don't see the mask slipping on Ferry. You know he's a Celtic fan but I think he's quite fair in what he says. Mentioned re-watching our game against Galatasaray and how impressed he is with our shape with and without the ball.

Find Slane quite funny as times.

Kyle does talk some amount of shite at times, However I'm sure I read somewhere that it's helped with his mental health so don't see him leaving anytime soon.
The only thing about Ferry is that his love for Griffiths is questionable. Everyone knows why Griffiths isnt starting matches, he seems bemused by it

How anyone can watch/listen to that slaney is beyond me. Si Ferry has actually no bad banter and I watch the solo interviews he does and enjoy them, but that slaney is just a smelly wee rhat. If he wasn't on it I would watch the flagship show.

Would never watch anything with "where's the burds" either. Can he actually string sentences together?
Slaney will stay on it, a vast majority of viewers like him and find him funny would be stupid of them to get rid.

McAvennie is just an idiot as expected

Definitely been a reduction in output and actual football chatter since the mentally challengeds have been pish imo.

You can hear the bitter 19th Century Terrorist coming out in Slaney, Si and Kyle now that's been easier to hide over the years.

You can also tell only Si and obviously Halliday bother to watch the Rangers games the other two just give generic bitter replies.

Feck knows what they'll be like in May if we can do it:D
I'd say only recently has that been the case. Prior to this season it was the usual Tim's in the media descriptions. No real idea how we play, formation or game plan. Go with sound bites as "morelos is a hot head etc" where as if you watched every single game you would be able to say that Morelos has never made a nasty tackle, just moments of petulance. It's like Keevins, Wilson and Guidi - you ca tell they warch live matches of Celtic but only catch the highlights of our games. Their level of knowledge on us is terrible.

Its quite good to hear Ferry say he has watched us back - finally trying to get an insight and see where his team are falling short.

How anyone can watch/listen to that slaney is beyond me. Si Ferry has actually no bad banter and I watch the solo interviews he does and enjoy them, but that slaney is just a smelly wee rhat. If he wasn't on it I would watch the flagship show.

Would never watch anything with "where's the burds" either. Can he actually string sentences together?
Got to ask yourself why the flagship show gets numbers and people like him, perhaps it's just not you just dont fidn it funny

People actually think that slaney is funny?

The one time I watched it he was like a wee stupid Ned who contributed nothing but utter crap patter.
Yeah he’s a big people watch I’d say. I found him funny at times myself although at this moment I think he’s trying a little bit to hard

The only thing about Ferry is that his love for Griffiths is questionable. Everyone knows why Griffiths isnt starting matches, he seems bemused by it

I do like Si but he is guilty of looking at football through a lower league jobber prism and then passing off his view as if that's how every pro and manager — including those at the very top of the game — see things. It really isn't.

The stuff about analysis is a case in point. "Just let them go play, we don't need all that analysis nonsense." Well, analysis has allowed Rangers to build a squad from nothing that is competing in Europe and sits top of the league. Likewise, Celtic dominated when they were analysis-heavy under Rodgers and Davies, they've ditched it under Lennon and it shows.

The whole part of Lennon not being his own man was a pile of shit. Never heard it when they were winning every week and now they’ve went through a wee bit of a struggle then they’re making it out he’s not been making all of the decisions.

Was baffled listening to that. Slaney is dreadful too. Only pipes up with the Celtic chat and sits there being a wee dick when they are discussing us or anything else pretty much. Kyle is even worse, can’t form his own opinion at all or one that makes sense.

There’s more posters on this thread that hate the podcast then like it yet can’t help but comment
To be fair this isn't a 'positive thoughts only' thread on open goal. Everyone can voice their opinion on it in here. Which is what folk are doing and are entitled to.

Some definitely take it too seriously.

It is meant to be akin to your pals meeting in the pub and chatting football, which I like.

I don’t look for much in terms of tactical insight. I like a good, behind the scenes story type, but outside of that, for the most part, it’s 3 neds and a footballer catching up over a drink.

I think there is a place for more of that type of thing.

Where it goes awry is when they attempt to offer insight and on the most part, come across as thick, especially Kyle and Slaney.

I’m ok with Slaney, but I just find he disturbs the flow of a conversation. He should save his little piece until the end and chirp in.

Hey-ho, lighthearted banter all the same.

If we win the league, and it’s a big if, it would be incredible viewing. It will be a proper meltdown from Slaney and Co. For that reason, I’m staying in!

Last edited:
Some definitely take it too seriously.

It is meant to be akin to your pals meeting in the pub and chatting football, which I like.

I don’t look for much in terms of tactical insight. I like a good, behind the scenes story type, but outside of that, for the most part, it’s 3 neds and a footballer catching up over a drink.

I think there is a place for more of that type of thing.

Where it goes awry is when they attempt to offer insight and on the most part, come across as thick, especially Kyle and Slaney.

I’m ok with Slaney, but I just find he disturbs the flow of a conversation. He should save his little piece until the end and chirp in.

Hey-ho, lighthearted banter all the same.

If we win the league, and it’s a big if, it would be incredible viewing. It will be a proper meltdown from Slaney and Co. For that reason, I’m staying in!

Kevin Kyle is by far the weakest link.

I do find the Slaney chat a little awkward as I sometimes don't know if he's serious about mental illness. It's dangerous that he has a platform to rip himself on a podcast that gets thousands of views. As low budget as it is the show needs to be careful.

Si Ferry is great and reads the games well. The only critique of Si is he's using the same jokes. Kyle fat. Slaney Spotty. And it gets tiring.

Like you say it should just be eves dropping on a group of guys in a pub and that's what works.

Does anyone else sense how uncomfortable Kyle is with the slagging about Jeffries. Obviously a harmless wind up but he has no comeback whatsoever other than a fake laugh or to mumble about slaney being jealous. How did he cope in a dressing room

Starting watching the latest episode last night, I've paused it right as thet start the Rangers chat.
Ragin that I've not found anything to be ragin at yet in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back