Now is the time for Rangers and their fans to rekindle their Scotland relationship

3WLusR6.jpg

I abandoned them long before Ian , I wont be back either.
Can anyone confirm if this is a genuine Fergie quote? I've seen it been called fake news recently but I don't know myself.

I'm pretty sure Scotland didn't play in Cardiff in 2013 though.

Easy for you as you fit right in with the SNP sporting rally that the TA has become.
You’re completely wrong. I did go to Scotland home games but not since 2012, all my football money is spent on Rangers/at Ibrox. Not one penny to any other club. The point I was making was that a guy gave up going because of a song sung by some morons, then says No Surrender!

Last time I was at a Scotland game they hammered Cyprus believe Colin Stein scored 4 or 5.
In that era the majority by far were Gers fans singing the sash and stuff.
Also if my memory serves me right when Scotland played Holland the entire Scottish team was Rangers players.

I stopped supporting Scotland in 2012,it was just a feeling in my gut about the national team that I just can't reverse,btw not interested in England or any other national team either.

Although I have lost all enthusiasm for the National team and, like many, cannot envisage a time when I would choose to share a stand with a fan base that hate us while cheering on the likes of Griffiths there is, in fact, a lot of good and valid points in that article.

It accurately covers the feelings of much of our fan base, explains the reasons for those feelings and appears to empathise.

The final statement if viewed in a wider sense, and not simply in relation to support of the National team, is very relevant to our current situation - "Now is the time for Rangers to become prominent and lead the way for Scotland, both on and off the park, once again."

We should be the dominant force, we should be setting the standards, and we should be leading the way.

In addition to winning on the field of play we need to be re-establishing ourselves as leaders of the game - in all areas.

Article in the Herald. Says it like it is really.

THE relationship between Rangers - or more specifically Rangers supporters - and the Scotland national team is a complex yet fascinating one.

It encompasses every aspect of life on and off the park as political opinions and club loyalties shape views and define behaviours when it comes to the support, or not, of the side that represent the country on the world stage.

At times it feels as though sections of the Rangers fanbase have never been more disillusioned or out of touch with Scotland and in many ways that disconnect is completely understandable. But, in a purely football and sporting sense, Scotland are good for Rangers and Rangers must be good for Scotland.

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his desire to see Scotland improve and succeed, and also of his delight at his players earning international recognition in recent times. The likes of Borna Barisic and Glen Kamara will be at the Euros next summer. That will raise their profile, but also that of Rangers and having players operating at the highest level can only further enhance the club's reputation. Gerrard has done so much on that front in a European sense and the more internationalists Rangers have the better. It is a shame, though, that there are not more players within Gerrard's ranks that can stake a claim to feature for Steve Clarke.

Going forward, and as the Ibrox squad evolves, that should be a consideration for Rangers and a club that has given so much to the national side over the years must once again be able to provide the backbone of the Scotland setup. Ryan Jack has become a mainstay of the side under Clarke in recent fixtures, but some Gers fans will only tune in to see if he plays well and emerges unscathed for his return to domestic and European duty.

The pride that Jack has in playing for his country is clear to see and it should be hoped that rubs off on those who dismiss Scotland duty. Rangers could certainly do with more like him and goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin. The lack of Rangers representation in the national squad over recent years may explain the apathy that some sections of the support have towards Scotland these days.

But more wide-ranging issues - such as the treatment their club received in 2012 and the Independence Referendum two years later - almost certainly have a significant part to play in the seeming shift away from the traditional backing that Gers fans once provided to the national side.

Last month, The Athletic carried out a survey of more than 8000 supporters to attempt to paint a picture of the relationship between Rangers fans and Scotland. There is no definitive answer to such a convoluted question, but it did at least offer an insight when it comes to the club versus country debate.

From a football viewpoint, it was no surprise to see that 68 per cent stated that their support for the national team had decreased since 2012. The feelings of anger and resentment from the fall-out of Rangers' financial collapse clearly still lingers in the minds of many and there is no desire to share a terrace or emotional connection with fans of clubs who wished them nothing but ill will eight years ago.

Indeed, 87 per cent of those that responded to The Athletic believed they would receive a negative reaction if they identified as a Rangers fan at a Scotland match. It is hard to conclude that figure would be as high for any other support in the country and while Rangers punters may dismiss it with the 'no-one likes us, we don't care' attitude, it is sad that fans feel they would be unwelcome at an event that is supposed to unite in the backing of a common, national cause.

While fans across the country revelled in Rangers' fight for survival and subsequent plights on their journey back, the Ibrox crowd remained admirably loyal and devoted to their club and their cause. Having come through what they have, the bond between fan and club is stronger than ever.

Many will have taken heart and pleasure from seeing Scotland end their wait to return to a major finals with victory over Serbia last week. But it will be nothing compared to the emotions when Rangers win their 55th league title. Scotland matters, but just not as much as Rangers, or as much as it does to fans of other clubs.

The team on the park is only part of the problem, though, and many will simply find it unpalatable to support Scotland for reasons other than football. When Scotland is divided politically, it is no surprise that the makeup of the fanbase is as well. While 55 per cent of those in the poll didn't think that being a Unionist was an important part of a Rangers fan's identity, 75 per cent believed that Nationalism was synonymous with the Scotland support.

It is too simplistic to say that the dual identity of being Scottish and British doesn't fit amongst the national support but views on Government and the Union will come into the thinking for some. Figures for ideology and voting preference in a referendum were broadly similar at around 65 per cent Unionist, 10 per cent Nationalist and a quarter neither.

In decades gone by, the Rangers support made up a huge percentage of the Tartan Army home and away and it would be healthy if the numbers were to swell once again. Scotland is as much theirs as it is anyone else's. But if it doesn't happen in the build-up to the European Championships, then it is hard to see how and when there will be a reconnection between Light and Dark Blue going forward.

Now is the time for Rangers to become prominent and lead the way for Scotland, both on and off the park, once again.
Not for me..........The Blue of Rangers only.....

It started when Souness got banned for being half way down the tunnel during a ban from the dug out. The supervisor couldn’t see him but it was captured on TV then reported.
Then we had Big Dunky being thrown to the wolves by the SFA and banned AFTER he served a prison sentence.
We’ve had players booed on many occasion whilst playing for Scotland and nothing’s been done.
We‘ve had a major cover up of the biggest, disgusting disgrace in Scottish football.
The SFA did nothing but tramp all over us when we needed them most, they helped Hearts and Dundee but not us.
The main body of fans who follow Scotland are Anti Rangers and I truly believe we are not welcome.
I followed Scotland regularly until the end of the 90s but whilst I want them to win I just can’t get excited if they do. Steve Clarke is another reason I can’t get excited watching as he is the most boring manager ever, and sat back while Boydy suffered serious sectarian abuse from his beloved Tramps.

Let me think about that for a whole nanosecond! I’ll pass!

I will admit to a level of rekindling my relationship by watching Scotland on TV recently but this was purely because I had run out of mogadon.

For me it’s pretty simple why I’ve lost my love for Scotland

- our own player got boo’ed by a group of fans who are widely known to hate everything about our club
- the manager is widely known to hate rangers and said so in a speech live on sky tv
- a number of the players in the current set up I cannot bring myself to supporting due to their bitterness against us , and that’s saying something considering not too long ago I cheered on Scott brown in a Scotland shirt

I really hope this changes and I get back to treating every Scotland game like an old firm ... I have my doubts that day will ever come though

That was a decent article with some great points, connection between club and fans and ofcourse the outpouring of emotion when 55 comes. I actually raised a smile reading them.

If people want to support Scotland then fire in, personally I don't care about the national team, I don't have any emotional attachment.

I want Scotland to win matches . But . No way I’d buy a ticket or merchandise or indeed i]even a PPV for a match with that sfa / spfl . Just no way Jose .

My passion for any non Rangers football has diminished massively over the years and I’ve not been to a Scotland game since 2012.

That said, I will always support my national team.

You’re completely wrong. I did go to Scotland home games but not since 2012, all my football money is spent on Rangers/at Ibrox. Not one penny to any other club. The point I was making was that a guy gave up going because of a song sung by some morons, then says No Surrender!
I got your point. I like many others don't feel any connection at all to Scottish football team or it's support. They make it pretty clear they don't like us. I don't care too much about teuchters dressed like a failed extra from Brigadoon thinks of us. They're welcome to their shit team in a shit stadium. I can't even be bothered pressing my remote buttons to watch them nevermind opening my curtains.

I just generally don’t care for internationals, if Scotland do well then fair enough, good for them, but international football to me is just boring.

What’s the matter with “No surrender”?
Nothing at all. Let me try again, a guy gives up on the Scottish national team due to some morons singing a song, and he signs off with No Surrender. He gave up without a fight, he surrendered. As I said previously I no longer go to games, wish the team well though.

This article pretty much encompasses my own views. Rangers first, Scotland second.

We were stitched up and to this day all the other clubs and fans would rather criticise us and call us scum rather than turning their noses toward the stench from the east side of Glasgow.

Scotland is and always will be ours. They might take the union from us, but they won't keep the country, especially after the SNP die after they win their phyrric victory.

Last edited:
I hold a great apathy for international football, its an unwelcome distraction and unnecessary in my eyes. Add to that the anti Rangers rhetoric from the entire SFA, and the majority of the support - its a clear cut no from me. I used to attend, through the early 00s - and I did enjoy it, but we were all young and naive once.
Rangers first, Rangers always. The quintessential BRITISH club.

Nothing at all. Let me try again, a guy gives up on the Scottish national team due to some morons singing a song, and he signs off with No Surrender. He gave up without a fight, he surrendered. As I said previously I no longer go to games, wish the team well though.
Do you not think it goes further than two words?

It wasn't just the SFA and the mentally challengeds that laughed and fcked us over in 2012. It was every neutral, every governing body, every club, every fan, every journalist, everyone.
Anywhere that's population votes in an organisation which has IRA supporters and child abuse deniers has nothing to do with me.
British not Scottish. No Surrender.
Long may your outlook reign.

Took a look in the last few games. Seen enough. It's absolute horseshit. I'm back to not interested.

Fück them!

I simply can’t bring myself to support:

- an organisation who trampled all over us during our darkest hour
- an organisation who glossed over the SCF vs Hibs carry on like it was something we deserved
- an organisation who blessed the awarding and handling of last seasons league closure with refusal to support our request/appeal for an independent enquiry
- a tartan army who booed past and current rangers players whilst playing for Scotland
- a tartan army who sung and chanted songs about hating rangers
- a manager who openly admitted he hates rangers
- a manager who shrugs off sectarian abuse of an ex-rangers player but cries like a baby when the shoe is on the other foot
- a group of players who many of whom have a real bitterness towards our club/team/fans

Have I missed anything?

The more Rangers players involved in the Scotland squad, the better it is for. Rangers and the better it is for Scotland. Would be good to see a squad with the likes of McLean, Fleck, Nisbet, as Rangers players in it.

The nationalist propaganda, that dictates any Scotland fan should be anti British and all Rangers fans support right wing factions, has pushed me away from the tartan bigots and it will remain so unless they change that lying mind set.

I love my country. I’m Scottish first and British second when it comes to football.
But I’m British first and Scottish second when it comes to real life.

Absolutely no chance I’m supporting Scotland, I wouldn’t thank you for a free ticket. Fcuk the SFA mentally challenged Scum Bastards and the scum who play for them.

I want them to do well but see when they lost last night, I’d forgotten about it after about 30 seconds. If that was Rangers it would ruin my weekend.
Exactly the same, id have been glad if they had won, but wouldn't lose a wink of sleep how they made a right mug of that group.

Back