Open Goal Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only heard about them last week when Ferry had them on.

Listened to his which was good.

Also listened to Dean Windass, Anthony Gerrard, Jon Otsembor, Chris Kirkland, Tony Warner, Gavin Rae, Luke Chadwick Leon knight (wannabe gangster comes across as a knob.)
Mark Crossley with his Clough stories and impersonations is very good.I

Under the Cosh with Si Ferry is a great listen - de Canio and Gravesen stories are brilliant.

Kevin Campbell, Alan Rogers & Andy Johnston are well worth a watch.. all 3 are funny with loads of cracking stories.

Clarke Carlisle is also good but its heavy on his addictions/depression etc.. it's mental how he managed to play at the level he did given how much he abused his body with alcohol.

Cheers mate, will give them a listen.

I dont care if he was on loan at Blackpool - he was a professional player at the time and for me, pros should be looking to better themselves instead of taking the first opportunity to get fucking honking, and is indicative of why some players, particularly those who seem to appear on open goal, never reach their full potential. I appreciate that Halliday is now exempt from criticism though, given that he has left - perhaps this comment would have been better received after he appeared in our starting XI following a bad result. hey ho.

My point was a reference to the difference in mentality and perhaps there is a reason why some players dont hit a decent level consistently and take themselves to a level that they are capable of operating at. Im thinking in particular of the likes of Templeton whose appearance on open goal was littered with stories about getting minging, and the list is endless in that regard. Some car crash stuff on that show from players who didnt ever get to where they should have been - and with that in mind i can't help but question whether some of these players could have made more of their careers if they were more focused instead of defaulting to the scottish football stereotype of getting burst. This isnt solely directed at Halliday - it was an example of an anecdote which he used which seems to share similar traits to others who appear on the show.

the general mentality of scottish players is flawed and there is a reason why so few excel elsewhere when compared to other nations where the lifestyle is secondary to success. I take one look at our squad and the fact there are such limited options in terms of Scottish players as an indicator of where the general game is at up there.

Also listened to Dean Windass, Anthony Gerrard, Jon Otsembor, Chris Kirkland, Tony Warner, Gavin Rae, Luke Chadwick Leon knight (wannabe gangster comes across as a knob.)
Beresford's was decent and Paddy Kenny's was good too. How was Anthony Gerrard's? Switched it off 10 mins in. Just started watching Glen Little's. So far so good.

Never meant to tag SouthLDNBear.

Neon Light. I listened to both of his and thought quite a few of his stories were funny, if you can get past how much of a helmet he is.

Ferry is good, Slaney isn’t the full shilling and Kyle is stupid. It’s good when Halliday is on. Ferry on under the cosh was a good listen.

Reactions: JME
The story Ferry told about the pre season trip with the mentally challengeds was funny.
Paul McGowan trying to stick the nut on Brown haha.
Always Love the Di Canio and Gravesen stories.

Beresford's was decent and Paddy Kenny's was good too. How was Anthony Gerrard's? Switched it off 10 mins in. Just started watching Glen Little's. So far so good.

Never meant to tag SouthLDNBear.
I enjoyed it, defo worth the listen. Says exactly what he thinks of people. He fucking hates Malkay McKay and wasn’t shy putting that across with all the stories he has about him

Listened to Ben thornley too. Enjoyed that

Last edited:
I enjoyed it, defo worth the listen. Says exactly what he thinks of people. He fucking hates Malkay McKay and wasn’t shy putting that across with all the stories he has about him

Listened to Ben thornley too. Enjoyed that

One i had passed on too as i didnt fancy it, seen most of the rest of them. Will give it a watch.

It's funny when you get the same managers coming up and getting slated. Blackwell seems like he is a complete and utter c*nt.

Watched that Dean Windass podcast from Under the Cosh and it was decent with a good few stories. Standouts were one about Gazza and Robbie Savage. Also very complimentary about the Rangers support.

Yeah.

I tried it again. It’s the worst of the lot tbh.

Can’t take to Ferguson or MacAvennie tbh. The patter on that is pish.
MacAvennie is so cringe. He genuinely thinks he’s some mad shagger sitting there with his boot cut jeans and £6 Piere Cardin polos on like he’s gods gift. No surprise he took us to draw on Sunday and the scum will win easily today. Another one that keeps saying we will crumble after the winter break - good to see he’s got his finger on the pulse of the Scottish game this season.

Halliday reminded the 3 beggars weeks ago that Celtic hadn’t really had any of the so called difficult away games. Dropped points in two of them since as well as at Kilmarnock earlier in season.

They were in denial at that point and were arrogant as usual. Hopefully Halliday brings it up again!

Halliday reminded the 3 beggars weeks ago that Celtic hadn’t really had any of the so called difficult away games. Dropped points in two of them since as well as at Kilmarnock earlier in season.

They were in denial at that point and were arrogant as usual. Hopefully Halliday brings it up again!
Halliday won’t be on this week, they’ll rope in some ex-Celtic player to talk about his career instead of talk about the weekends results like they done a few weeks ago - especially if we do the business tomorrow.

The gravesen stories ferry tells are class.

In the middle of an old firm game he's asking ferguson the best place to go to in Glasgow for food. 40 grand a week he was taking off the mhanks

Played for the tims motherwell mk dons and clyde. Seems a decent enough bloke but with real confidence issues. His interview with Barry ferguson was funny. Coming on as a sub with 5 minutes to go for clyde after a minute or so bob malcolm here's him ask the ref how long to go as he was gassed.
Cheers mate.

Watched that Dean Windass podcast from Under the Cosh and it was decent with a good few stories. Standouts were one about Gazza and Robbie Savage. Also very complimentary about the Rangers support.
I laughed out loud at the Alen Boksik story, some man!

Who is this cvnt Slaney,did he play the game and if so,who for?
Wouldn’t say he played for Celtic but think he made one reserve team appearance and then got injured and moved on for not being very good.
Think he is more well known for being a bit nuts and took a photo of him shagging a hooker and posted it online.
Typical of today’s society to be well know for not being very talented at anything

Wouldn’t say he played for Celtic but think he made one reserve team appearance and then got injured and moved on for not being very good.
Think he is more well known for being a bit nuts and took a photo of him shagging a hooker and posted it online.
Typical of today’s society to be well know for not being very talented at anything

Think he was a reserve team regular about 10/11 years ago and was expecting to break into the first team but didn’t due to the injury.

Was at an Old Firm reserve game in May 2009 at Ibrox and he scored 2. Good dribbler, good finisher and the best player on the pitch. Was a couple of thousand Celtic fans and maybe half that for rangers fans (Celtic could win the title that day). Hardly any security, thought it was going to kick off.

I know they move about and film in shops and bars and stuff. Where has the last few been filmed? They are upstairs with a high ceiling. Undr the cosh one and yesterday’s with the guitarist?
It’s the Loft on Ashton Lane. Now called the Grosvenor. Cool story Bro but Si comes into my work all the time and I asked him this question as it was annoying the hell out of me as well.

Im sure he had a few subs appearances for the first team. Talks about one at Ross County a lot.

I don't actually remember seeing him play and I think he was done by the age of 28
He said last week that he’s turning 29 soon mate . His last game was under Barry at Clyde.

Injuries & potential bipolar , probably finishes him , tbh I don’t mind him , for years we’ve had pundits saying the exact same things . The show might be septic top heavy , but imo , they’ve been fairer on Rangers than the MSM. Halliday is brilliant on it , unlike the other 3 he’s a model pro , who’s made the most of his career . I’ve stuck up for Kevin Kyle , but a couple of weeks ago he couldn’t even declare support for hearts in the cup final , not exactly jim Jeffrey’s love child behaviour.

Hopefully they go over the footy this week, last time they dropped points they swept it under the carpet with a Mcgeady interview

Think he was a reserve team regular about 10/11 years ago and was expecting to break into the first team but didn’t due to the injury.

Was at an Old Firm reserve game in May 2009 at Ibrox and he scored 2. Good dribbler, good finisher and the best player on the pitch. Was a couple of thousand Celtic fans and maybe half that for Rangers fans (Celtic could win the title that day). Hardly any security, thought it was going to kick off.
It was only 1 nil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back