Numan Instagram - Personal Video Messages From Ex Players

each to their own but i think these messages should be for the very sick and needy.
They are probably very wealthy guys so you would think a tenner here and there would not make a difference to their bank balance.

Wonder how much they’ll charge for that

I recall that mental guy Wagner charging £30 for a 10-15 second video :D

Amoruso is already charging £20 for a video message on another site. It’s quite a popular thing and I think the market leader is called Cameo

each to their own but i think these messages should be for the very sick and needy.
They are probably very wealthy guys so you would think a tenner here and there would not make a difference to their bank balance.

I mean, obviously not if they’re doing it.

I get where your coming from but Stuart was a qualified Instrument Tech to trade and was earning a very decent wage at Grangemouth before signing for us he wasn’t on a fortune with us as were none of the players then but still at least doubled his wage

Growing up my neighbour was Bobby Lennox he was a Lisbon lion and a Scottish international my dad was very friendly with him and told me that at that time Bobby was on £200 a week my dad a mechanical engineer in ICI was on £35 6xless ! These guys weren’t poor and earned great money in their time albeit not on the scale of the guys playing now
Aye your right.
Remember a few years ago lifting a carpet and there was a newspaper with houses for sale under it.
Dated early 70s, “ John Lawrence “ houses in Bearsden were getting sold for 10k.
Be 400k now or thereabouts.

Are you kidding???
None of the players mentioned were on poor wages all were on north of £10k and most of them north of £20k a week all of them bar none are millionaires !!

Lee Wallace was also earning at least £10k a week while with us and what do you mean still playing? He is only in early 30s and playing at a very high level

I have never read so much rubbish as your post
You never read any of your posts on Cedric Itten threads?

Numan won't be "very wealthy"

Comfortable, but not a multi millionaire.

When I worked for Sunderland football club, I took a supporter into the stadium after one of our games so he could ask the players to record a quick message for his son's Bar mitzvah. Maybe they should have charged. :))

They all happily obliged mind including Jon McLaughlin who was a class act every time I asked him to do something for us.

Cameo makes a lot of money for almost zero work. I can see why they're doing this. Great for the fans if cost effective, too. I'd pay £30 for a message from a member of the DA team for my Dad, were he with us.

Christ some fans really are self entitled perma-whingers.

Why do it for free when it’ll just invite thousands of requests they’ll likely be unable to fulfil with most of them probably from poets trying to trick them into offering well wishes to members of the IRA etc etc. I’m sure if bears are sickly some of them would happily do it for nothing. But the token “happy birthday Tam, wishing you a happy 40th” type stuff? Well I have no idea why they should do that sort of thing for free. At the end of the day it’s like Castore, they offer a service, if you don’t like it you can look the other way and get on with your life.

I had a request from a lad in Ulster a couple of years ago about a fan who had a serious illness.
He asked if I could get a player to send him a Birthday wish on a video.
Numan, Albertz, Amo Goughie, Davie Weir, Andy Gray, Alex Rae, and Derek Johnstone were amongst the ones who freely did it and it was not a 'Happy Birthday' only, they took time to do it.
I'm told that Graeme Souness's message brought tears to his eyes.
These guys are different class and I think it's a great idea for them to do it
How good would that be for a kid to wake up on Christmas Day and have a message from one of them?
No one is forced to pay them

I’ve nothing against people making a living . Having said that unless this type of thing is with the money going to charity , it seems a bit off . If you played for Rangers in the modern day era , certainly post 1986, you should have earned enough to take you through life without having to work . Does anyone know if this is for charity ? Same with the gin thing recently .
Why would it be for charity?
People have to make a living. Like the gin and all the various products from Castore, it is personal choice whether you buy it or not.
Between this and advising against eating the double big mac cause you'll put weight on, jeezo.
Mr posifuckingtive.

Are you kidding???
None of the players mentioned were on poor wages all were on north of £10k and most of them north of £20k a week all of them bar none are millionaires !!

Lee Wallace was also earning at least £10k a week while with us and what do you mean still playing? He is only in early 30s and playing at a very high level

You should have read yours then...

Are you kidding???

So because a guy earned good money for 15-20 years as soon as his football career is over he’s no longer allowed to earn a wage?

I guess Amazon and Apple have made a good bit of coin now so should probably go not for profit.

Ally bought dross and paid way over the market value in wages.
He brung expierence after 2012 and thought they would sail through it imo.
It was the lazy option.
Ally played with the Hans he was dealt. He was forced to work with players who should never have been near Ibrox due to spivs, and conmen.

Why would it be for charity?
People have to make a living. Like the gin and all the various products from Castore, it is personal choice whether you buy it or not.
Between this and advising against eating the double big mac cause you'll put weight on, jeezo.
Mr posifuckingtive.
I never said it should all go to charity , but perhaps 50% to Erskine or similar . That way as a fan you know it’s not just a quick buck being made by the player and it brings some meaning at least to the message . The difference between a player doing a heartfelt personal message to someone with an illness is night and day to some generic message read out because you bunged someone £30 . Imagine for example your kid gets a message from Amoruso , he’s buzzing “how does he know who I am dad “? You need to explain he doesn’t son he just takes payment from any Tom dick or Harry and reads out whatever you tell him to , it’s all about cash is king . What a message that is for a kid . Not for me but each to their own I suppose .

For a bit of a laugh, I paid £80 recently on Cameo for a video message from Meat Loaf for my wife. Couple of days later he sent a 20 minute video where he was singing and telling stories. Fair play to him for effort and the very personal message. Went from that bit of a laugh to the best £80 I’ve ever spent.

Hopefully the Rangers guys will make sure they give good value for whatever they charge.

So because a guy earned good money for 15-20 years as soon as his football career is over he’s no longer allowed to earn a wage?

I guess Amazon and Apple have made a good bit of coin now so should probably go not for profit.
I did not say that at all I was only pointing out to the poster that these guys are not poor and in the past earned huge money. I say good luck to them if someone wants to pay for this service it’s their business

Each to their own, but I find it sad that players we made millionaires need to be paid to wish a Rangers fan happy birthday.

I had a request from a lad in Ulster a couple of years ago about a fan who had a serious illness.
He asked if I could get a player to send him a Birthday wish on a video.
Numan, Albertz, Amo Goughie, Davie Weir, Andy Gray, Alex Rae, and Derek Johnstone were amongst the ones who freely did it and it was not a 'Happy Birthday' only, they took time to do it.
I'm told that Graeme Souness's message brought tears to his eyes.
These guys are different class and I think it's a great idea for them to do it
How good would that be for a kid to wake up on Christmas Day and have a message from one of them?
No one is forced to pay them
Can confirm this particular story. Robert and the players involved went above and beyond the call of duty to make a very ill bear's day so much better.

I think it would be cool to get a message but tarnished by the fact people you love had to pay for it and that they are only doing it for money . Personal thing I suppose .
You want people to take time out of their day to do things for others for free?

What other ‘cool’ things in life would you like for nothing?

Fair enough it's a means of income, but charging for video messages lacks the kind of dignity and class you would associate with our club. It's all a bit cheap and nasty guys.

Potentially making someone’s day/month/year with a message from one of their favourite players from yesteryear is cheap and nasty?

That’s a strange take.

Potentially making someone’s day/month/year with a message from one of their favourite players from yesteryear is cheap and nasty?

That’s a strange take.
You are missing the point entirely . It doesn’t “ make their day “ when people realise it’s not a personal message but a generic money making piece of opportunism .

Each to their own, but I find it sad that players we made millionaires need to be paid to wish a Rangers fan happy birthday.

We didn’t make them millionaires though, they were offered a jobs and they did them well. The hard work they put in to get to the big leagues and the top clubs is what made them millionaires, that and the job they did putting silverware in the trophy room of our club. They club weren’t paying them as some generous act of charity, it was in return for work like most people who earn money.

You are missing the point entirely . It doesn’t “ make their day “ when people realise it’s not a personal message but a generic money making piece of opportunism .
I don’t think there would be many recipients who’d think that one of their favourite ex-players randomly decided to send them a birthday message off their own back :)

You’re having a nightmare here mate in chasing your Bah Humbug! narrative :)

I don’t think there would be many recipients who’d think that one of their favourite ex-players randomly decided to send them a birthday message off their own back :)

You’re having a nightmare here mate in chasing your Bah Humbug! narrative :)
Not at all I have made a valid point . To deny that it cheapens the message by someone paying for it to happen is just ludicrous . It may be the way of the world but it doesn’t make it right . Enjoy

We didn’t make them millionaires though, they were offered a jobs and they did them well. The hard work they put in to get to the big leagues and the top clubs is what made them millionaires, that and the job they did putting silverware in the trophy room of our club. They club weren’t paying them as some generous act of charity, it was in return for work like most people who earn money.
Thats also a point of view. It still sticks in my throat an ex Rangers player charging to wish a Rangers fan a happy birthday. Imagine the scenario, dad out with young son, bump into Ally McCoist in the street. "Ally, could you sign this for my boy" certainly Boldvale, that'll be a fiver. "Enjoy your day wee man"

Not at all I have made a valid point . To deny that it cheapens the message by someone paying for it to happen is just ludicrous . It may be the way of the world but it doesn’t make it right . Enjoy
I hope you make all those birthday cards yourself that you give to family & friends because they’ll be awfully disappointed if they find out you bought them from a shop :cool:

Thats also a point of view. It still sticks in my throat an ex Rangers player charging to wish a Rangers fan a happy birthday. Imagine the scenario, dad out with young son, bump into Ally McCoist in the street. "Ally, could you sign this for my boy" certainly Boldvale, that'll be a fiver. "Enjoy your day wee man"
A representative of Gazza approached me years ago before he started doing nights. Asked if I wanted Gazza to do a night in The Louden
I replied that I didn't think it would be appropriate at that moment in time for him to be in a pub when he was having his much-publiced problems.
The guy totally ignored what I was saying and then went on to tell me that he would get Gazza for £10K, plus £30 a photo and £5 per autograph
I never got Gazza and have no regrets about it
A lot more to the conversation but not something I would post publicly

Different scenario. A player clearly wouldn’t do that if it was a chance meeting in the street and especially if a child was involved. But if you want them to go to the trouble of videoing themselves at home reading your specific message then charging is perfectly fair. Just because you’ve earned a decent wage in your life doesn’t mean you should spend the rest of it working for free.

So ex players charge for these messages but won’t sign an autograph when they do speakers nights because they are told not, but if the organisers thought with their money head then surely adding the price of an autograph ontop of a ticket price to make it a vip ticket would get more people at these events.

why charge for one thing but not for another?

Back