Scotland Under 21’s - 3 Positive COVID Cases

Club bubble doesn’t exist I have said before I know of two spl players who drop their kids off at school in the morning. They don’t just go to training then sit in the house

Which would be classed as essential travel. Besides a quick drop off at school is hardly the same as going to a house party is it.

Once again (as this ridiculous notion was raised in the Croatia/Barisic thread last week), why?

Why would you want us to voluntarily limit our options as a squad for important games where injuries could quite easily happen and lead to the likes of Middleton or (more likely) Patterson having a role to play?

It’s astonishing how the fear factor being peddled by the media has affected people judging by posts on here.

I'm not sure it's a "fear factor".

Rather than the seriousness of the disease the discussion relates to football and the protocols. We've just had two players suspended for 7 games. Teams have had negative players having to isolate and miss games.

We need to be cautious.

I think my curiosity to the initial post was to the suggestion that this was perhaps more widespread than it really is.
The truth would appear to be that it is actually very rare, rather like a lottery win or being struck by lightning,
I'm not disputing it is rare, but it does happen and has been confirmed by respected medical sources.

Only way our game will get cancelled if players start returning positive tests today, amount of panic merchants is unreal.

Only way our game will get cancelled if players start returning positive tests today, amount of panic merchants is unreal.
Not so sure. If these positive results have only came through this morning, after training/mixing yesterday then any number of sheep players might have to self isolate and they could in theory fall below the 13 players.

Just need to wait and see.

The SFA / SPFL have been quick enough to launch investigations into alleged breach of protocols by clubs. Yet 3 away on U21 duty come back with COVID and 10 more are self isolating. Will the SFA investigate themselves to see if they breached their own protocols? No, I didn’t think so.

It is mind boggling that we are playing international football at the moment.

Last edited:
Club bubble doesn’t exist I have said before I know of two spl players who drop their kids off at school in the morning. They don’t just go to training then sit in the house
That’s down to them as individuals, but they’re told to lead a life currently at Rangers which involves little more than attending training and games.

That’s far from ideal for them. If he’s trained and travelled with the squad and one of his close contacts are out playing today... things could get messy for Scottish football on a whole.

Allan Campbell and Barry Maguire are required to miss our match with St Johnstone due to Covid-19 protocols.

We were informed shortly after 11am on Saturday morning by the Scottish FA that the pair are required to self-isolate, as a result of three members of the Scotland Under 21 squad testing positive for the virus.

Both Allan and Barry tested negative when they were tested by Motherwell FC on their return to Fir Park on Wednesday.

However, the Scottish FA have informed us that due to the seating arrangements on flights and buses in Greece, our players are required to isolate under trace and protect procedures.

We were first notified of the potential need to exclude Allan and Barry at 9:30pm on Friday night. They will now be obliged to isolate for 14 days.

As a result of what has happened, we will write to the Scottish FA on a number of points on which we believe urgent answers are required.

9.30 the night before a game. That's an absolute disgrace from the SFA in all honesty.

Training with Covid doesn't automatically mean teammates have to isolate, more likely to have been rooming together, sitting beside each other on buses etc etc

I find it bizarre to be honest.

We are told to wear masks going into shops due to potentially catching it yet you can play football when you are breathing heavily/maybe even coughing/sweating/clearing nose etc when training. Teams are training as normal also so 2m rule doesn’t apply.

Plus going by Motherwell’s tweet, they only found out at 9:30pm last night. Celtic would have been in hotel by then, including Turnbull.

Allan Campbell and Barry Maguire are required to miss our match with St Johnstone due to Covid-19 protocols.

We were informed shortly after 11am on Saturday morning by the Scottish FA that the pair are required to self-isolate, as a result of three members of the Scotland Under 21 squad testing positive for the virus.

Both Allan and Barry tested negative when they were tested by Motherwell FC on their return to Fir Park on Wednesday.

However, the Scottish FA have informed us that due to the seating arrangements on flights and buses in Greece, our players are required to isolate under trace and protect procedures.

We were first notified of the potential need to exclude Allan and Barry at 9:30pm on Friday night. They will now be obliged to isolate for 14 days.

As a result of what has happened, we will write to the Scottish FA on a number of points on which we believe urgent answers are required.

9.30 the night before a game. That's an absolute disgrace from the SFA in all honesty.
as I asked above the sfa have questions to answer here

Confirmed in an aberdeen statement. They have one player positive and the other 2 players in the u21 squad are self isolating

They have their entire midfield out tomorrow, they will be left with Ojo and some youngsters

Aberdeen FC is highly disappointed to confirm that, upon returning from international duty with Scotland Under 21’s, a member of the first team squad yesterday tested positive for COVID-19.

The individual, who is asymptomatic, has been self-isolating since receiving the test result.

Following guidance from the Scottish Government’s COVID experts, two further first team players, who were also part of the Scotland Under 21 squad, will be required to self-isolate for 14 days having been identified as close contacts as a result of the aircraft and bus seating manifests.

No other members of the first team or coaching staff at Cormack Park have tested positive, either during this week’s routine testing, or in fact since August.

From the outset the Club has diligently followed the strict protocols outlined by the Joint Response Group (JRG) and with a regular testing regime and stringent safety measures in place aimed at minimising any potential risk, this is a hugely frustrating situation for all at AFC.

With three first team players now missing in what is a crucial week for the Club, these developments will have a significant impact upon the integrity of its preparations, and it will be seeking urgent assurances from the Scottish FA to ensure its players remain safe whilst on International duty.

Back