Kai Johansen's Bar, Govan Road, pictured in March 1977

I loved him

Said before he was close to my family. Spoke to him at length about Rangers.

Would come down and visit I'd be a young boy going out and he'd randomly say "here have a Good night come on the rangers" and just give me 50 quid :D

When he would go away would give me the keys to his pad. Absolutely glorious. A weekend in a massive house with an indoor swimming pool/bar the lot.

Gave me little bits of memorabilia too. An absolute gent and sadly missed

Last edited:
The photo brings back memories of going down to get the old Ferry after games at Ibrox. I was never in Kai's pub in Govan but I remember attending a work's do at his place in Howard Street.

My very first old firm game , Bud gave his brother & myself tickets 1967 & we beat them 1-0 Perrson scored.
Our seats were right beside Kai,s wife & his two kids, she was a looker.
A few years later Kai was the manager of a team in South Africa ( Arcadia Shepherd's) & he took a mate of mine from the UK to play for him & even then he still went on about the Rangers

I was almost called Kai Johansen, after that cup final mum got pregnant very quickly.

They chose another name!!

Where was the old Mermaid Inn in Glasgow - used to have to stand outside many years ago while everyone else who were over on the boat drank.

Was it Bridgeton ?

Did he not open a bar in Magaluf after that?
He had a bar between Palma and Palma Nova which was called El Bucanero bar but it also had signage saying "Kai Johansen ,Glasgow Rangers" I have a photo somewhere of me and my mate standing outside it (pissed)

The church was the old St Andrews masonic Lodge on Alexandra Parade in Glasgow.
I think he ended up living there.

Correct. Done a few shifts in there when labouring and running about Was on a great wage only a young boy at the time.

Was lifting up expensive tiles for bathroom up stairs and tripped and they smashed. One of boys phoned him and he wasnt happy. Until found out was me then said he couldn't care less :D

Some place is it still there? The top floor one was brilliant from memory.

His actual big house with the swimming pool was tremendous.

Correct. Done a few shifts in there when labouring and running about Was on a great wage only a young boy at the time.

Was lifting up expensive tiles for bathroom up stairs and tripped and they smashed. One of boys phoned him and he wasnt happy. Until found out was me then said he couldn't care less :D

Some place
Adjacent to Royston. o_O

Some place is it still there? The top floor one was brilliant from memory.

His actual big house with the swimming pool was tremendous.

Made an absolute mint off the sunbed game
Still there but it's a backpackers hostel now.

Back