Lennon in Ryan Christie Celtic transfer acceptance but Hoops boss holds out new deal hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weetoonblue

It looks like he is wanting away.

Between him criticising them yesterday and highlighting brown hopefully he is losing the dressing room.

Seems strange they let his contract run down.

The press would be criticising us big time.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon has admitted Scotland hero Ryan Christie wants a different challenge but insists he isn’t itching for a move away from Celtic.

And the Hoops boss is adamant Christie still has plenty to prove at Parkhead as talks continue over an extension to his current deal.

Christie’s contract is up at the end of next season and the 25-year-old said before the international break that he was relaxed about his Celtic situation.

He then boosted his reputation further with the goal against Serbia in the Euro 2020 play-off final that helped take Scotland to their first major finals in 23 years.

The strike in Belgrade took 14-cap Christie’s tally for his country to four this season - just one short of his haul for the champions this season.

Celtic are keen to get him to commit his long term future but Inverness boss John Robertson told how the player fancies a crack abroad following conversations with Christie’s dad Charlie.

And Lennon said: “Ryan has also said he would like a different challenge at some stage in his career. Talks are ongoing between the club and his representatives.

Currently, I think he still has a lot to do and prove here at Celtic and to be fair to him he’s worked really hard the last few games.

There’s been no agitation or dropping off in his intensity level. He’s just like the rest, a little bit inconsistent at times but we understand that.

“I was delighted with his form going into the international break and he carried that on.”

Christie’s emotional post-match interview in Serbia went viral and Lennon was delighted for both his player and his adopted homeland in ending their wait to play on the big stage.

The Irishman said: “Ryan’s interview was absolutely brilliant and it shows how much it means to him. I am sure a lot of people out there watching it could relate to it.

It’s been a long, long time and football is the main sport in this country. It has given more credibility to the game here and it’s great incentive for the players at the end of the season, something to really look forward to.

“It’s been a long time of being the bridesmaid and they have broken the camel’s back and it’s great for them psychologically.”

With four Hoops stars included in Steve Clarke’s squad - Callum McGregor, Leigh Griffiths and Greg Taylor joined Christie - for the historic occasion, Lennon could reap the benefits as players fight for a place at Euro 2020.

But Lennon insists they should be motivated enough with so much at stake at club level this season. He said: “There will be a huge motivation for him but ultimately my job is to manage Celtic and I want to have a huge motivation playing for us as well, which they have shown consistently over the years.

“They have got a lot to look forward to, from domestic football and the international team, which is great, they have earned it and now they have got to build on it.”

Never really does that well against us but is arguably their best player and seems to be their match winner in a lot of other games.

Would be nice if someone bids in January and unsettles him more.
And if he does go in the summer, clubs realise they don't need to bid Dembele dollars as he wants away and only has a year on his contract, so Celtic need to sell.

Rats...sinking ship springs to mind.

Christie is a good player. A diving cnut, but a good player.

Last season he was doing what I wish our midfielders were doing, and that’s scoring goals.

But Christie, does not get ahead of Kent, Aribo, Arfield, Roofe. It’s a mark that our players have stepped up massively this season.

He can look the part against St Johnstone and St Mirren probably.

No denying he is a sellable asset (not for stupid money like £25m), and has been advertised on an international stage playing for Scotland and had a lot of focus on him.

But could any team look at him and go "remember in the Champions League when he tore XX apart, or Europa league game against YY when he ran riot?"

I’ve never rated him, I think he’s deceiving just because he runs about a lot and shoots. He lacks intelligence and awareness that is needed to play his position. He’s also a cheat.
I also think he is overrated, he is capable of scoring spectacular goals but he flatters to deceive more often than not.

If you compare him against the work rate and the tactical awareness our front 3 offers he is like a man down

English Championship level. He's not as good as Matt Ritchie or that Ilk. Can probably still get paid £25-30k at that level for Derby or Forest.

I’ve watched the guy closely in matches because I keep getting told what a great player he is but I just don’t see it. His decision making is horrific because he shoots when he has a decisive pass on and passes when he should shoot. He also dives a lot and he might get the odd foul but he’s not even a good diver. He wouldn’t get close to the current Rangers side.

They have a problem. Christie, eduoard, ajer and ntcham all have 18 months left and all want to go. Value is diminishing by the day and they need the money, do they hold on till the summer when they clearly dont want to be there anyway or take what they can get in January?

I’m not doubting the boy has something but EVERY time he has played against us for them he’s been gash.
Think the Scotland Serbia game summed him up, looked pretty average to me then pops up with a goal.

I’ve never rated him, I think he’s deceiving just because he runs about a lot and shoots. He lacks intelligence and awareness that is needed to play his position. He’s also a cheat.

Tbh you don't need much more than that in 90% of games up here.

If you took him and the loanee elyanoussi out their team they would have zero creativity or goal threat from midfield.

Only other goal threat is Eduardo who wants away as well.

It's all bubbling along nicely.

They have a problem. Christie, eduoard, ajer and ntcham all have 18 months left and all want to go. Value is diminishing by the day and they need the money, do they hold on till the summer when they clearly dont want to be there anyway or take what they can get in January?

That squad overhaul is frightening. The decent loans will leave and have little impact overall given half of them are poor and expensive. Once you take that all off there isn't a lot left to build on bar McGregor and whatever youth they have coming through but they haven't been blooded in favour of expensive patch jobs.

That is exactly it. He is bizarrely more highly rated on there than anywhere else. Lot of filth fans want rid.

I’m not doubting the boy has something but EVERY time he has played against us for them he’s been gash.
Think the Scotland Serbia game summed him up, looked pretty average to me then pops up with a goal.

I was messaging my Dad saying he needs subbed as he hit it. He can't find space against any kind of pressure. Indeed he looks alright in the SPL as he shoots from range against packed defences and will run into the middle thread and open channels.

That squad overhaul is frightening. The decent loans will leave and have little impact overall given half of them are poor and expensive. Once you take that all off there isn't a lot left to build on bar McGregor and whatever youth they have coming through but they haven't been blooded in favour of expensive patch jobs.
Summer at the latest they will lose
Ajer
Eduoard
Ntcham
Christie
Brown
Duffy
Laxalt
Elyounousi

Us and them have went all in this season and reckon both sides will look pretty different next year.

Ajer
Eduoard
Ntcham
Christie
Brown
Duffy
Laxalt
Elyounousi

Us and them have went all in this season and reckon both sides will look pretty different next year.

Even if we lose say Defoe, Morelos, Davis and Kent we would still have Aribo, Hagi, Roofe, Itten who will still be here to build around.

That's worst case for losing numbers and having to bring through youth who are currently out on loan. The contrast in strategies is unbelievable. Really makes me confident for the long haul.

Add to that the global transfer market is stale due to the corona virus.

They either have to sell in jan in a buyers market, hold off to the summer when they’re in the last 12 months or give them over priced deals to get through these periods (and it appears the french lads would rather cut off own testicles than sign a new deal under Lennon).

Even if we lose say Defoe, Morelos, Davis and Kent we would still have Aribo, Hagi, Roofe, Itten who will still be here to build around.

That's worst case for losing numbers and having to bring through youth who are currently out on loan. The contrast in strategies is unbelievable. Really makes me confident for the long haul.

Genuinely dont think they have a strategy beyond this season, they have been that focused on the one thing. Wouldnt be surprised to see lawwell go either. If we win it this season I think we'll win a few.

I’d like to see the back of him, bails them out so many times.

I do wonder if things go our way the next two months and we win the OF in January, if a few of them will jump ship as they won’t want to be a part of it when their ship sinks.

Ajer
Eduoard
Ntcham
Christie
Brown
Duffy
Laxalt
Elyounousi

Not sure we’ll look too different next year. Alfie and one other first eleven moving on, but a crack at the champions league will see most wanting to stay.

Also, cast your mind forward, we win the league this year, they have major surgery which is never easy, we have a settled squad that’s enhanced with the funds from Alfie and one other. We’ll be favourites to win the league in 2021/22 which means direct guaranteed access to the champions league and its riches. It’s the proper house of cards scenario unfolding.

Scudding the sheep today is the next step. Winning the league this year is everything.

Honestly believe Kent will be here for another few seasons. And once the title is in the bag, Wilson and Stevie can talk with Morelos and his team about another year and a crack at champions league football, which is where Alfie wants to be.
Defoe I think may join the coaching team, it’s clear he has a good influence around the team, especially with Alfredo.
Exciting times

Not sure we’ll look too different next year. Alfie and one other first eleven moving on, but a crack at the champions league will see most wanting to stay.

Also, cast your mind forward, we win the league this year, they have major surgery which is never easy, we have a settled squad that’s enhanced with the funds from Alfie and one other. We’ll be favourites to win the league in 2021/22 which means direct guaranteed access to the champions league and its riches. It’s the proper house of cards scenario unfolding.

Scudding the sheep today is the next step. Winning the league this year is everything.
I'm personally hoping it's only Morelos leaving and possibly Defoe hanging up the boots then bring in a new affordable striker to compete with Roofe and Itten for a start

So the are already lining up their next big money sale to help their accounts. Its a path they have used many times and we will need to use also.
Thought that was McGregor ?No wait nae neck no wait Edouard no wait dembele no wait frimpong.
Going by msm they are just waiting for the £35million plus coming in from any one of their galacticos.Turd polishing is their trade and they are good at it.

They are a shambles 2 players that they consider key are first team regulars and will go back to their clubs

The other you have paid 2m upfront and 160 grand a month and is utter horseshit

That's 3 players you need to replace before a balls kicked haha

They are a shambles 2 players that they consider key are first team regulars and will go back to their clubs

The other you have paid 2m upfront and 160 grand a month and is utter horseshit

That's 3 players you need to replace before a balls kicked haha
If Christie Ajer and Eduard go they will get a lot of money in to replace them that's the thing we have to hope that they continue to waste it

For a "rubbish footballer" Christie still hit over 35 goals and assists for them last season. He's already on 10 this year. I don't rate him as highly as some, but the hyperbole on here in the pursuit of being seen as staunch is fast becoming exhausting. His leaving would clearly be a loss for them.

He's a player who is crying out for a proper manager to instill some discipline into his game. It's no surprise at all that he wants out under Lennon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back