There are only three reasons this season won’t be a success.

MDC

Administrator
Staff member
1. Key injuries - Tav, Goldson, etc.
2. Covid related shenanigans (whether health or administrative).
3. Officiating.

There is nothing to fear from things WE can control.

And it’s been a long time since we could honestly say that.

I’m glad people appreciate both the optimism and the pessimism in the OP.

Make no mistake - we’ve got a lot of difficulties ahead but you cannot ask for any more than the players and management have offered so far.

The injury problem is not such a worry with the amount of quality we have in reserve,
Officials can only get so many wrong decisions, keep playing the way we are and it becomes irrelevant,
Covid is my big worry ,but with a vaccine just weeks away im sure we could manage to get all our staff vaccinated

As much as we are playing brilliantly at present, setting new records, I thought some of our football was better last season. Seems weird to say it.

I think the overall difference this season has been the improvement in defence.

It's how we react to bad moments that will show what we're made of.

We're unbeaten, but we will lose a game (maybe!) , and if we all keep the head and remember the level we can get to , we should be able to react positively. In recent years a bad performance usually meant a run of 3 or 4 similar performances where as the tims would lose a big game but then go on a run.

Three reasons is actually quite a lot of factors.

None of them will be an issue, thankfully.
The officiating in the back half of last season was disgusting. I expect similar this year. The way we are playing right now is the only way we can take it out of the equation.

Don't want to temp providence but you've just picked two guys that are hardly ever crocked.

Covid is a worry cos you can have perfectly fit guys sat on their thumbs for a fortnight through no fault of their own.
Tav was out in January and we suffered

3. Officiating.

There is sommething nice evolving. (See what I did there?)

Some of the football is a joy. And it has taken a couple of years to get to here.

Is this a Shankly in reverse?

All those are concerns but my main one is the forces at work behind the scene. It won’t be long til null and void appears on the agenda. Watch it happen, we go further in front then press will start and small comments here n there. It will gain momentum.

I put nothing past these devious people after the gifted title and the rest of Scottish football will happily vote for it to get at big bad Glasgow rangers.

The only major concern i have is if there is a covid outbreak in the squad but im sure the gaffer will be drilling it into the players heads how important is is to stay covid clear. i do believe that the poets will drop points in one of their games in hand and i also believe we will batter them at Ibrox

We have the talent to win the league, we just need to prove we have the mentality.

The January collapse just can’t be allowed to happen again this season. I don’t think it will tbh.

100%.
Them getting beat yesterday would have been the perfect weekend but we can’t control that.
It’s all about what we do and I’m loving what I’m seeing.

I've been kicked in the baws so many times over the last decade that I genuinely can't get my head around being so far ahead.

I think I’ve still got PTSD from the constant let downs we’ve had, last seasons collapse having almost finished me. If/when we win the league, it’ll take a while for it to sink in.

Last edited:
The yahoos will be in compete disarray in the coming weeks having to bring in a new manager and backroom team while desperately trying to claw back a substantial defect in the league.

Two of their next three games are Sparta away and Milan at home, failure to win either of these games will see them with probably 3 wins in 11 games and Lennon will be hounded out with a stat like that. Yahoos are actually hoping they get a heavy drubbing to get him out the door which says it all.

A new manager won't have the time or money to turn things around for them this season so for me the only thing that will stop us winning the league is the SPFL trying to void it but that's unlikely with a vaccine not far away.

3. Officiating.

Add in complacency mate , no point in doing our lap of honour till we’ve won trophies.

No I don’t think it will happen ( complacency )

As much as we are playing brilliantly at present, setting new records, I thought some of our football was better last season. Seems weird to say it.

That plus the fact we are killing teams off with plenty goals.
Long may it continue.

The yahoos will be in compete disarray in the coming weeks having to bring in a new manager and backroom team while desperately trying to claw back a substantial defect in the league.

Two of their next three games are Sparta away and Milan at home, failure to win either of these games will see them with probably 3 wins in 11 games and Lennon will be hounded out with a stat like that. Yahoos are actually hoping they get a heavy drubbing to get him out the door which says it all.

A new manager won't have the time or money to turn things around for them this season so for me the only thing that will stop us winning the league is the SPFL trying to void it but that's unlikely with a vaccine not far away.
Think they are away to Milan too.

I think the officials are under more scrutiny this season with no fans in the stadium.

Everyone is watching the match on tv and with replays etc, they are finding it more difficult “to get things wrong”, this in my opinion, means they actually need to referee as fairly as their incompetence and bias allows.

It‘s easier to call them out now and highlight their cheating.

3. Officiating.

4. Complacency. I doubt this is a factor but we are all terrified of any winter break???

Re 3. That penalty decision today....I hope he was just unsighted and nothing more sinister as it was Penalty McPenalty III heir to the Penalty fortune.

We have negated refereeing corruption this year by pure efficiency in everything we are doing.

We are an absolute well oiled machine that when one part fails we have an able replacement who knows the role.

Its took 2 and a half years to get to this point and we are now seeing it in all it's glory.

Scottish football being what it is you can never rule out foul play by the authorities for whatever reason they dream up.

If we keep our noses in front at the top there will be no tainted 10 no matter what they try.

Gerrard and Beale have got us clicking at exactly the right time and they know it.

Mate name me a game from last season where we were better than the last two months

we weren’t mate

3. Officiating.

although I agree, I’d also add 4. January transfer Window. How we handle bids for any of our key players (Aribo, Morelos, Kent, Kamala, Goldson etc.) could be important.

We don’t know who will bid for our players but with our great form domestically and in Europe I’m sure we will be getting some attention. EPL clubs could potentially bid for some of our top players and tempt them with mega wages. Although I’m sure we will only sell if the price is right, it can be disruptive if someone gets their head turned.

The accounts show that we need to be able to sell one or two players for big money to balance the books and free up cash for new talent - buy low, develop them and sell at a higher price. I feel good about the squad depth and we could lose one or two and have adequate back up to maintain our current levels, but it is still a danger and I’ll be happy to see the end of the January window. Hopefully the players all want to be here for a successful season and we can keep this group together until the summer.

When everything is going well it's difficult to see how anything can possibly go wrong but it can, and has done in the past.

Getting over the line will be a huge test of this squads nerve as many carry the scars of previous seasons. So another option is that we slip up once and let it effect us going forward.

We will drop points, possibly lose. It's how we respond that'll be the key.

December and January are very tough months, especially if we get out our Europa League group.

3. Officiating.

Or Liewell says so

All those are concerns but my main one is the forces at work behind the scene. It won’t be long til null and void appears on the agenda. Watch it happen, we go further in front then press will start and small comments here n there. It will gain momentum.

I put nothing past these devious people after the gifted title and the rest of Scottish football will happily vote for it to get at big bad Glasgow Rangers.
No chance. None at all.

Things have gone so well to this point, the remaining challenge will be dealing with adversity when it comes and it almost certainly will.
Precisely, we have played very well, and in fact should have had another 2 points [Hibs], however we have also benefited from Covid issues plus the fixture pile up has cranked up the pressure on Lennon and his team, and it's showing.

Team are playing superb football and we just need to keep doing the business

So far we have shown we have improved since last season. Two away draws at trick venues is not the end of the world but it’s far too early to be over confident

Covid issues can cause us problems and let’s face it Walsh tried to help by not awarding us a stick on penalty today but we swamped the Sheep and they had very little threat against us

The team and management team deserve a lot of credit but we need to keep winning and ensuring we are wary of the Covid threat and abide by the rules and no more Jones / Edmundson carry on

Still trying to get my head around that title op.
Me too, we won’t lose the title to any of the op’s misgivings, Steven Gerrard has this side drilled and ready for any situation.
We are winning the league this year make no mistake - injuries, shite referees, and indeed COVID 19, wont make a blind bit of difference, 55 is on the way.

I think the officials are under more scrutiny this season with no fans in the stadium.

Everyone is watching the match on tv and with replays etc, they are finding it more difficult “to get things wrong”, this in my opinion, means they actually need to referee as fairly as their incompetence and bias allows.

It‘s easier to call them out now and highlight their cheating.
Why do having no fans in the ground make any difference to that?

I know what you mean.
It's been so long since a Rangers team waved shiny silver things at us that I'm still, in my mind, fearing the worst at some point.
I genuinely can’t bring myself to believe properly because of the last few years.
Once January is out the way and we are hopefully still double figures ahead then I’ll maybe start to plan my celebrations

(fireworks aimed right at the Earl Hague’s house over the back who’s rubbed it in every time they’ve won will definitely be on the list)

Back